Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions - Yet another Q about drinking

View Full Version : Yet another Q about drinking

longstems
08-03-2003, 09:46 PM
No, alcohol is not my vice. I'm just still wondering about liquor as well. I was looking at the glycemic index but couldn't find anything on vodka or rum. Does anyone know if these are safe to drink with a diet mixer?

lilybutt
08-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Great question!!!!!! I am wondering the same thing! Not a big drinker, but once week or so I like to go out and have a rum and diet and coke! Anybody know the answer?

Lilybutt

Raelynn
08-04-2003, 03:02 AM
I'd like to know too. I used to always drink coolers, but to avoid the sugar in them, I am just drinking either rye and diet coke, or vodka and diet coke. I'd love to know the info on both rye and on vodka.

Ruthxxx
08-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Zero carbs BUT alcohol calories do get burned first by the body so you will not be burning fat. Alcohol also can screw up your control and lead to overeating so be careful.

Raelyn, there are coolers made with artificial sweeteners. They are available in Canada on a trial basis - Ontario and B.C. at the moment. I'm looking for them as I love coolers in hot weather.

Raelynn
08-04-2003, 09:18 AM
Cool, do you know what they are called?

NicoleNYC
08-09-2003, 12:16 PM
I think a dirty martini is a pretty good option - it's just vodka or gin, dry vermouth, olive juice, and an olive - gin and vodka have no carbs, vermouth has 1.5 in 6 oz (and you don't use that much in one martini), olive juice has none as far as I know, and one olive has like .2 carbs or something. Of course, you will need to drink a TON of water if you drink a few of these due to the HUGE sodium content but, oh well. Help you avoid that hangover.

rho1640
08-13-2003, 07:19 AM
Raelynn--- if they don't have it at your local beverage distributor ask if they can order Thin Ice -- it is similar to Mikes Hard Lemonade (I think that was the name) I like to put a slice of lemon or lime in it to make it a bit less sweet -- it's 90 calories and 1 carb a bottle.