PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 10:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Question Tired all the time, sleeping too much

I can sleep from 9pm to 9am if my family would let me. I feel like I'm going to fall asleep at any minute all through my work day. What is the deal? Iron deficiency, or some other vitamin? Anyone else going through this?
Old 08-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #2  

Yes, I can do that too! Mine I think is a mixture of a few things.
One, I don't sleep very well, Long but not well, due to both some pain I have with my neck and back, and then from depression...Sad part is that they all form together and create a spiral effect. sort of like what came first the chicken or the egg? Depression causes sleep problems, pain, and weight gain. Weight gain causes depression, pain and sleep problems, then of course, pain causes the others too!

And here we go down the tubes!!!!!

Well that's why I am here! I am new and I am trying to break the cycle. In only a few days I have found the energy here so positive, (even when it's negative, ya know what I mean?)
Old 08-03-2003, 01:45 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Sherrie,
I went thru this before my daughter was born, I would sleep for hours and hours, get up in time to go to work and wouldnt worry about getting up again until I had to get to work for 3.

Then I had my daughter, and my pcos went a bit wonky, and I barely slept, gained piles of weight, and was pretty much miserable.

If its the pcos thats causing your sleepyness, Im not sure. But I do know that since I started PP/Atkins everything seems to be "normal" as normal as it gets for us.

Robin
Old 08-04-2003, 03:31 AM   #4  

I have the opposite problem in that I can't fall asleep at night. I used to try laying down, but then I'd be lying awake for hours and hours all night long with no sleep until the sun came up. Finally, I just gave up on that and just get in bed whenever I get tired, but it's usually 4 in the morning or later (My clock says 3:15 am as I type). Of course, when I finally do get to sleep, I could easily sleep for the next 12 hours or more, but then I'd give up the whole day.

It's not something new, because I've been like this since I was in late childhood. When I was young, I had normal sleep patterns, then I couldn't sleep, and the only other time I had "normal hours" was during my college years if you can believe that. Then again, that was the only time any of my doctors would give me the pill for the periods that either wouldn't start or wouldnt stop. However, into my mid twenties, I started having a lot of stomach problems, which were worse at night once I had all my food for the day, so it again became easier to deal with that at night and sleep in the day when I was "okay
However, I've had PCOS symptoms since I got my period at age 9, which have finally at age 29 been recognized by a doctor. (Yay!) It's only been in the last week as I've been doing research that I have questioned whether all the hormonal problems could have been associated with the sleep patterns.

I just started treatment today, so I'm anxious to see if that will do anything in helping me learn to get a more normal schedule. I've been on a low carb diet for about a week and a half now, and the best thing I can say about it so far is that I haven't had any of the stomach upsets that I used to have (dumping, bloating, etc.) If nothing else gets fixed in all of this, at least I have one positive thing to be happy about.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:58 AM   #5  

Just a quick question.......what is PCOS?

Us silly newbie have soooooo many quetions! lol
Old 08-04-2003, 01:11 PM   #6  
God, Give me strength !!

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'7

PCOS is, Polycystic ovarian Syndrome

Samer here abt being tired all the time. I could sleep ALLLLLLLLLL day long as well. I have no idea what causes this tiredness, maybe low Iron. I am grasping. I do know since starting met, I have felt pretty good Not as tired all the time. I wish I had the answer for you
Old 08-05-2003, 10:37 AM   #7  

I've heard that a deficiency in vitamin B12 can cause insomnia and make you very tired. Apparently B12 deficiency is fairly common in those who do not eat much (or any) meat. I think that vitamin deficiencies are something that your doctor can diagnose quite easily with a blood test.

Kris
261-188-155
Old 08-05-2003, 01:18 PM   #8  
God, Give me strength !!

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'7

Is this something that a Multi Vit can help with. I take the womens once a day vit, and I am still sluggish, but not exuahsted like I was in the past
Old 08-05-2003, 04:22 PM   #9  

From what I have understood, it would take a pretty severe B12 deficiency. I think that it would probably be more than a multi vit could replace. Might be worth getting a thorough physical, if it is affecting your day-to-day?

Kris
Old 08-05-2003, 10:13 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

I have been told that an abnormal thyroid can be the problem. Have you had yours checked recently? I need a re-check. I've had the same problem lately. It's a tad better with low carb, but still there.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:33 PM   #11  

I'm doing low carb, so I eat a LOT of meat. However, the vitamins make me feel yucky, so I don't take them like I'm supposed to. My thyroid checked out okay almost a year ago, but I'm still suspicious. Thanks for all your replies, guys, I'm going to have some tests done at the doc's!
Old 08-22-2003, 01:52 PM   #12  

Hi I am new here, and I just wanted to say that I have the same problem with sleeping. I can stay awake until the wee hours of the morning and then when I do fall asleep I am always waking up. I just went to the doctor yesterday to have all my bloodwork again. I am hypothryroid to, so I was wondering if maybe this could be causing my problems. I guess we we see what the doctor has to say..
Old 08-26-2003, 10:39 PM   #13  

Thyroid can be the culprit for sure. Sometimes, the problem is with your T3 levels and not the T4. The TSH test, which most doctors use to determine thyroid function only shows the T4 levels. If you test normal on a TSH but have hypothyroid symptoms, ask your doctor to check your full thyroid panel, and your T3 levels. Some doctors won't listen. If yours won't look farther, find one who will! My TSH is normal, but my T3 levels are almost non-existent. To correct this problem, I take a special formulary of T3, and not the usual T4, like Synthroid. Your body converts the T4 you make, into T3, which is the active hormone. If your problem is in the conversion, you will have a normal TSH, but still be hypothyroid Being overly tired is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Dry skin, insomnia, hair loss, brain fog, sensitivity to cold or hot can all be symptoms.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:44 AM   #14  
Rattie Lover

Sleep Apnea will also cause you to always be tired/drained. You could get checked for that too to cross it off of the list of culprits.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:34 PM   #15  

Thank you all for your replies. I suspect thyroid, although my doc swears he gave me a fasting thyroid test, I swear I had eaten that morning! Duh! Anyway, the sleep apnea I would suspect also, but no time or money for a sleep study. Good points, all! Thanks!
Closed Thread