Old 12-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #97

Good morning gals. It is very chilly here this morning. Jack had on two jacks, his zip up hoodie and a down jacket over it. I haven't stuck my nose out he just said it was really cold when he took out the trash this morning.

Brother what a day I had yesterday. Got to the dr's and got in pretty fast. He though the fluid buildup had grown so was deciding whether to send me to the hospital and have them aspirate, send me to the hospital and get an ultrasound, or aspirate in his office. He said he was pretty sure it was not my repair coming apart and I asked him wouldn't it cause me pain if it had and he said yes. He went with the aspiration in his office. Girls, he took 425 ccs of blood and fluid out of my abdomen, 17 syringes full. It wasn't painful as he was doing it, but later on in the day it became really sore. I have a big ole patch on it that has to be left on until tomorrow then he wants to see me again next week. Problem is, Tricare only gave him 4 visits and yesterday was the 4th one. I called the referral office and they sent it to my regular dr to ok, but she wasn't in the office yesterday. I told them I needed it right away but don't know if I will get it or not before Tuesday. If not, I may go anyway and have Meghan back date the referral to cover the visit because I really need to go in and see him and he only has a couple days he is in the office the rest he is seeing hospital patients and operating. We shall see what happens. She squeezed me in next week as it is.

I didn't feel like it, but went to the concert. The seats are really narrow so my big behind doesn't fit in them to sit back so we picked the row that had a walk through and I sat forward, but between the place on my stomach and the pressure of sitting forward we only stayed for his concert band performance and left. I was pretty miserable and just couldn't take it any longer. Kelly didn't even go as she had some emergency at work.

Maggie: Sounds like you are getting the MH outfitted again. Jack likes to cook breakfast too. Must be a man thing.

Jean: Took me forever to finally find someone to do my hair correctly. My hair is so fine and thin it is hard to get a good haircut and I have a really horrible cowlick on back right top of my head.

You gals have a nice middle of the week. I am going to just veg out today and I got very little sleep last night. I had a killer headache I couldn't get to go away. Now I am dead tired. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #2  

Good Morning! It's another gloomy morning in my neighborhood. I'd almost welcome some snow to cover up the wet leaves and grubby looking yard. It's supposed to be in the mid 40s this afternoon so we'll see. I've been trying to find airline tickets to CA for the wedding in January. It costs more to get there than when we went to Maui. There are no direct flights, and the "cheap" airline that I've heard nothing good about, has layovers anywhere from 10 to 17 hours! I'm beginning to think we should stay home. I forgot the load of towels in the dryer last night so have to fold them and get another load going. Tree still isn't decorated and may get that done tonight if Bob finishes his light replacement project. He ran out and hasn't been back to the store to get more. I have lunch bunch at noon and bell practice later.

"Gma," thank you for starting the new thread! I'm glad your doctor could do the procedure in his office and save you a trip to the hospital. It's too bad that insurance companies interfere with necessary treatment by setting limits. I suppose there are those that abuse the system otherwise; I would like to think all professionals are honest but know that isn't so. I'm sure Thomas appreciates you coming to his concert; too bad Kelly missed it.

Maggie, my hair will be fine once it settles down. My idea of a trim is different than someone else's would be I'm sure.

I need to load the dishwasher and get my day going. Hope you enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all. Jack left for work about half an hour ago so except for the tv it is quiet for now.

I got my undies yesterday and though the cotton is thin, they fit so am not going to complain too much though I plan on leaving a review so women are aware the panties are not great quality. At least they didn't cost $12 a pair like the other site!

We ordered Christmas goodies from Swiss Colony and they should be here today along with a pair of rain boots that I hope fit nicely for days it is wet and snowy here. They have a good grip on the bottom and for no more snow that we get they will work for winter weather. They look like a regular ankle boot too not like a clunky boot. We shall see.

I ordered three pair of dress shoes yesterday so am hoping I like at least one of them. I wanted something with a heel so it looked dressy but it has to be a thick heel and very low because of my knee. These three have a wedge heel so I am hoping they will work. I bought a taupe and black sparkly pair in one and then a floral in the other. They are all opened toe so we shall see.

Jean: I hope they get on the stick with the referral so I can go to the appointment on Tuesday. I am supposed to take the patch off later today so we shall see how that goes. When Delta bought NWest they became the hub here in Memphis and I saw in an article a couple days ago that Delta is now going to implement 5 levels of travel. Pretty soon the cheapest rate you are going to be flying on the outside of the plane like the Flintstones. I read that airlines have made billions in only one year with their fees alone and they try to tell you they can't pay their bills. It is all bologna. They are getting rich and ripping people off. It is why we don't fly anymore. If we can't drive we don't go.

Everyone have a great day today. Going to go and get breakfast Faye
Old 12-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #4  

Good Morning! It's a foggy, gloomy morning again today. I think the sun has been awol for too long! I've been to get my nails done and have been making my "to do" list of things I want to clean before Christmas. My crafty club has a Christmas luncheon, and that is today. Tonight is an open house at a gallery in the library. The artist is on the retirement home board with Bob; I would call the art pencil drawings and very detailed. She displayed them at the hospital so I've seen some of them. Bob will probably end up buying one.

"Gma," glad you got your undies so you won't have to go without! They are probably just like everything else, price goes up and quality goes down. At first Bob suggested driving out to the wedding before we knew the date. But his time frame for Federal Crop changes is the first two weeks in February, and I have an officer meeting February 2nd. I worry about getting caught in a surprise blizzard/storm which could still happen with flying. We finally did find some cheaper tickets. The cheapest airline doesn't fly to and from every day plus the layovers were 9 - 17 hours. Not my idea of a people watching layover.

Susan, hope your surgery went well today!

I need to change clothes then get my salad and gift together so I'm ready to go. Have a great day!

Last edited by Jean; 12-11-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. It is a bit warmer this morning as the furnace hasn't kicked on and I actually had the fan on last night. My feet get cold but my head and shoulders sweat like crazy. My middle stays ok.

I painted my nails lavender yesterday and I really like it. I am sure it is not everyone's cup of tea, but I had them painted red at the nail salon on Tuesday and didn't like them so I took the polish off and changed them. I bought this color not too long ago so wanted to try it out. Not sure it is a color for winter, but who cares! lol

I got my cute rain boots yesterday and can't wear them. Because of my knee problem of all things I can't twist my foot into the boot so they have to go back. They are so cute and I hate to send them back, but if I can't wear them they are not use as they cost me $60!

Looks like RCCL will be coming out with their fall 2016 schedule the first part of February so we can go ahead and book our cruises then. Jack is chomping at the bit to get them booked. Of course we can't do any of the other stuff until the first of next year like hotels, drink packages, parking and the like because it won't be available until them, but we will get the cruise paid off between now and then. Jack was showing me a picture of the onboard camera on the Oasis and it is really pretty all decorated for Christmas with big hanging snowflakes and such. Holiday cruises are totally outrageous in price so I told Jack absolutely not going on any holiday cruise.

Jean: Glad you found some decent priced tickets. No, I agree the time of year you guys need to go would be nuts to drive. All you would need is to get partway there and get stuck somewhere for days in the snow. I want to get a canvas painting for behind the couch when we paint and stuff. I have found some really pretty stuff on Wayfair.com. I want something abstract in yellows and greens to match the décor. I am getting rid of all the stuff on the walls I have now except leaving the big mirror I have above the fireplace though I am taking it down and moving it and repainting the frame. I imagine we are going to start doing that next year so we can get things started on shaping up this house finally.

Susan: Prayers your surgery went well and you are comfortable.

Maggie: Hi to you!

Everyone have a great weekend. I have T's Christmas presents to wrap and some upstairs cleaning and I may tackle the caramel corn, I don't know. I want it to stay fresh and still have another week so may just wait. Faye
Old 12-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! We have another gloomy and windy day! I thought I was able to stay home for the day but got a call to come and write a check for the gift shop and ok a credit card purchase. I was ready to leave and couldn't find the checkbook. I had put it somewhere where I have NEVER put it before. The coffee shop flavor of the day was blueberry muffin. A gal in Bob's office sells Scentsy and brought some to the office for me to smell, to buy as Christmas gifts, for the girls. I always have to spend a few minutes visiting with everyone there so now home in time for lunch. No wonder I don't get much done at home!

"Gma," lavender nail polish makes me think of spring flowers. I'm ready! I'm sorry the boots won't work. I have a pair of expensive dress boots with just a little heel that I wear to church. Evidently I hadn't worn them in a couple years because they are a half size smaller than I've been buying, and felt tight. I really liked them and hate to give them up. I was surprised but Bob didn't buy a picture at the open house last night. He liked the same one I did, and it wasn't for sale. I need to work on Christmas this afternoon!

Bob will soon be home for lunch so better get something ready. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #7  

Good morning, ladies! A cold 32 degrees right now.

My cataract surgery was a wonderful experience. No pain at all. It was 1-1/2 hours from the time I got there until I left although the surgery only tookl 7 minutes. When I went yesterday to be checked, the doctor said everything was fine. He also took a look at my other eye and said I can get that fixed in January. I'll be glad to get that done.

Today is tea with Glory and 6 of our friends. It'll be a lot of fun.

Faye, I love any thing in lavender so I'd love your nails. I haven't worn boots in more than 20 years. I have my orthodics that I have to put in whatever shoes I'm wearing so no heels and lace up shoes.

Jean, whenever my grandma, who was Irish, couldn't find something, she'd say the little people had come and moved it. I have things I've put away for safe keeping that I don't find for months and then its always right out in the open where I should have seen it so I know the little people brought it back.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a wonderful day!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 12-13-2014 at 09:14 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #8  

Good Morning! Another gloomy day but it's 45 degrees so no danger of the drizzle freezing . . . yet anyway. I'm really lazy this morning and not even dressed yet. We did put clean sheets on the bed and the washer is washing the others I took off. I have to wade through the debris and start getting organized for Christmas. I am a really, good mess maker!

Susan, I'm so glad your surgery went well, and you can look forward to having the other eye done. I liked your little people story! I think I have a lot of little people living here! Have fun fun with Glory and you tea friends!

Hope you all enjoy a nice Saturday!

Last edited by Jean; 12-13-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #9  

Good afternoon to you all. It isn't too cold today though gloomy looking out today. Jack, as usual is watching football games on tv. I will be so glad when college football is over with because he doesn't watch pro basketball or football and rarely watch college basketball anymore since we left Indiana and Bobby Knight no longer coaches.

I cleaned the upstairs bathrooms really well and am bleaching the shower curtains since both of my curtains are fabric. I used to have to replace plastic ones every couple years or so, but I have had the cloth ones for about 15 years now and have washed and bleached and dried them over and over and they still work great. I have an all white patterned one on the outside and then a cream colored solid one that catches the wet. Anyway, it is washing then I will decide whether I want to mess with the basket of laundry today or wait until tomorrow.

Our grandson called this morning oohing and aahing over his Christmas presents from us. He got to open them this morning and loved everything and told us he was playing the video games we bought him. He promised to send me a picture of his light thingy we bought him for his bedroom. It has something to do with the hugely popular game Minecraft Alicia loved the scarf I got her from the charity and they liked the little personalized ornament we bought them. My snowmen was delivered unscathed not cracked or broken thank heavens. Jay was saying the ju jitsu group he belongs too, which is Brazilian and headquartered in San Diego is having their 20th anniversary and having a cruise. He was complaining at the cost. We just laughed at him because it is actually really reasonable. Their problem is they have a lot of family they have to answer to as far as visiting and such and no one lives there in town and they usually go to Mexico to see her dad a couple times are year so that is where their vacation goes and probably any vacation fund.

Susan: Things have come so far with regards to eye surgery for cataracts and such. Used to be you were without your eye for several days at least. Glad everything went well. Are you and Glory going to be together for Christmas? I am wearing Keds sneakers during the winter and sandals in the summer. Everything else messes up my feet and I can't wear socks with shoes either as my flat feet slide in shoes and with socks on it causes friction and tears up the bottom of my feet.

Jean: Wow, so much for a day off. Hope you enjoyed your lunch. I ate leftovers from dinner last night and Jack had crackers and cheese. We bought some cheese spread and sausage for him from Swiss Colony and he has been enjoying that with Cheese it swiss cheese crackers.

Everyone have a lovely Saturday. I am going to sit and read for awhile since I have lost control of the tv! Faye
Old 12-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #10  

Good afternoon all. It is nice and sunny today here and not too cold. I am deciding what to do this afternoon and haven't really decided.

We sat and watched "The Santa Clause" last night which was cute. I have seen them all and have always liked them and it was a nice Christmas movie. I don't watch a lot of them. Seems like we have them on a bunch of channels at the moment.

I have a couple more things to wrap and I am done with that. Frankly, I will be glad when Christmas is over. For one thing it means it is just a bit closer to warmer weather.

I have a dr apt on Tuesday and found out I still have referral appts I can use so that is all ok. I don't know how much longer he is going to want to see me but I know he was concerned about taking the fluid off and it possibly developing an infection. It is always something I guess.

We are just going to have ham steak and something simple like rice or something for dinner tonight. I made Jack enchilada casserole with Spanish rice last night but I only ate the Spanish rice I made for myself and about two bites of the casserole. It gives me heartburn most of the time.

Hope everyone is having an enjoyable Sunday. Faye
Old 12-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! It's a foggy, drizzly, WARM 53 degrees in my corner of the world today. The fog was so thick this morning as I drove around the lake into town. It was just an eerie feeling since it was pitch black, almost like a movie scene. We played The First Noel; music was purchased by the office gals who worked with the deceased bell ringer. Her mom, who doesn't belong to our church, was able to come. Afterwards several people commented on our wonderful performance. The UMW had a fund raiser bake sale, between services, and we did buy some yummy looking goodies. I just don't bake any more, and feel a little guilty sometimes. I certainly don't need it and if it's here I'm the one who eats it.

"Gma," it's always a nice surprise to get a phone call from a grandchild. I'm glad Jackson liked his gifts. Kolby likes Minecraft too. He forgot a book in our car, and I thought it was a "how to" book that Will was going to build something. We eat crackers, meat, and cheese for supper sometimes. Anything quick and easy is ok with me. It doesn't look like we will see sunshine all next week. Snow and cold is predicted towards the end of the week. I need to start wrapping gifts to be sure of what I have. Every year I say I'm going to be more organized and it never happens. Glad that you won't have a hassle over your doctor appointment next week.

I need to get back to my decluttering project from yesterday. Hope you all enjoy a nice day!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all. Jack left for work about half an hour ago and I put some chicken in the crockpot with chicken broth to make chicken and noodles this afternoon.

We watched a bunch of Christmas programs yesterday afternoon mostly people who went nuts putting up outside decorations. Since I don't have kids at home any longer I don't get to take them out and do our yearly tradition which was ice cream cones and driving through the neighborhoods. I started that when we lived in New Mexico actually as getting ice cream in December wasn't so crazy.

Well I guess the place I sent back the undies isn't going to give me a refund so I better contact them and find out what my exchange is and spend it then never buy from them again. They have a ridiculous page of return and exchange policies and I should have known better because I have had trouble with them before when I bought dresses, but I needed underwear that would fit. I now have found a place so they can take a hike. I will get tshirts from them to spend the money then I am done with them.

Jean: Every time I see you post about your bell ringing it makes me think of those stupid Joe Boxer commercials. This year is fat belly guys and there is another one with pregnant women but last year's guys with bells on their boxer shorts was much funnier. Yours has class theirs, uh not so much. It got into the low 60's here yesterday. Like you, I don't bake a lot because if I do we eat it and just shouldn't have it. I made blueberry muffins awhile back and froze all but the one serving so I will take out one for breakfast from time to time. Jack wanted some cheesecake so I bought him a couple from Swiss Colony but I don't eat but a bite of those. I don't like the red velvet one and the other one is way too sweet for me to eat and I shouldn't have it anyway. I don't eat a lot of sweets normally though chocolate is my downfall for sure.

Everyone have a good week this week. I have to say I will be glad when Christmas is over this year. Seems like there is always something going on and I just want it to quiet down again. Faye
Old 12-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #13  

Good morning, ladies! 52 degrees and overcast.

Nothing much happening this day. Now that I can see better, I find my house wasn't as clean as I thought so I'm going room by room and doing a winter cleaning instead of spring cleaning.

Faye, I haven't found anything in gluten free that I really like so that takes care of most desserts for me. I did make some pumpkin fluff.

Jean, I had to laugh at your mention of the UMW for United Mine Workers immediately popped in my mind with so many coal miners in Stan's family.

Maggie - h!

Have a great day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous WINDY Monday

GOOD LATE MORNING IN DECEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Not much out of the ordinary happening out of the ordinary except the lovely decorations about town to see on our evening drives.

Will’s white cell count was up today so he is getting his last chemo treatment. He will be so glad that they are all over with for they sure zap his energy. It is so weird for they give him the treatment that lowers the white cell count then his system is very slow building them back up then he gets another treatment and they tear them all down again with the chemo. So since this is the last treatment they said they will give him the shots to bring his white cell count back up. He will get a shot each day for 4 to 6 days then it will all be over with.

The wind is blowing very hard today and it sure makes my eyes itch but thankfully Clear Eyes Compete® works great to calm them down.

JEAN We had just a tad bit of fog yesterday but when the torrents of rain started coming down it went away. I got a real soaking walking from the building after evening services to the house so I quickly changed my clothes. Isn't it a good feeling when a performance is so well appreciated. I don't bake much anymore either but do make that Sees fudge each year at this time to gift to folks. It is so easy to make and the best ever. As the story goes some rich lady bought the recipe from Sees and then passed it around and I thank her for it. If you want the recipe I can type it out for you here.

SUSAN you can now see the dust. Is that really a good thing though? Bet you are glad your eye fix is done and over with.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 12-15-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #15  

Good Evening! It has rained off and on all day, and the temperature has dropped to below freezing. Counting at church took longer because the secretary entered new '15 pledges on the computer which screwed up my figures, putting pledge people into '15 instead of '14. I found it but didn't know how to fix it so she had to check each entry individually then changed the date on the wrong ones. Served her right, but made me later to finish. Picked up the hospital money and got home in time to fix lunch. After lunch I made a stop at the bank and then WM. Tonight was card club and we went out to eat first. The car had a little ice on it when it was time to come home. The forecast is for snow tonight.

It's nice to see everyone's posts tonight, but I'm heading off to bed. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!