Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #1  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Default December PreD/Diabetes Support and Chat

Let's continue chatting and supporting one another!
Old 12-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #2  
~Shannon

Sorry about not realizing we were in a new month! We had a busy but good day yesterday and this morning Olivia's elf arrived. Let's see how this pic comes out....ok I previewed it and it is oriented correctly....I have no idea why iPad pics that are oriented correctly do not post in forums correctly....anyway I put the pic in pic collage app and now it looks right....crazy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (37.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My grandson loves his elf. He named him Sniffy. This is his third year. They went to a Christmas Store a few weeks ago and they had an elf there and John said he knows it was Sniffy! They told him that Sniffy hangs out at the Christmas store until the day after Thanksgiving when it's time to come to their house. I was going to get one to make him think Sniffy was here, too, but he's not here often enough to appreciate it.

Trish, I couldn't get into the Brown Fat book. I think to me, it seemed like it was more focused on looks. That ship has sailed for me. LOL As my Screen name says, I just wannabehealthy. I prefer to read things that focus more on health. There were some references to health in the book, but not enough to hold my interest. I still have the new Wheat Belly Book and also Low Carb for Dummies. I keep renewing them from the library, because I pick them up once in a while and re-read parts of them. I got another book from the library today about breaking bad habits. I have a lot of them that need breaking! LOL These women who work at the library must think I have the strangest taste in reading. I am really into self help books.

I did not lose or gain over Thanksgiving. I will accept that.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Shannon The elf is so cute. Thanks for starting the new thread.

Carol Sue I'm not following the book either, I'm leaning more toward the Low Carb for dummies book mainly because I have been reading the recipes on the FB Glucocil timeline and it seems you just eat rather normal with these pills. I've decided I haven't done very well on other diets so why not just use IE/IF with the pills. I haven't been really hungry lately. Just can't decide what to eat because I'm not really all that hungry.

I read an article from Forbes Magazine where they did research on diets and said that there wasn't any one diet better than another long term. So I figure, I will just shoot for eating healthy foods and not worry about it so much and see what happens. I am working towards a little more fiber although from what I've read lately at my age I don't need a whole lot.

It's late and I'm tired so I'm headed to bed. I'll catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #5  

Trish, I agree that the best diet is the one that you will stick with long term. I think you have to weed out the weird fad diets that have you eating just bananas, or something like that, but most popular published diets will work if you stick with them. Some people can just cut back on overall portions and still eat all foods. That worked for me in my 20's but now that I'm older and have medical problems it doesn't seem to work anymore.

I've noticed that the past couple days, when I overate at dinner I got nauseated and had to go lie down for a while. I just can't seem to stop eating second helpings, and it's hard to cook just the amount that the 2 of us will eat. I tend to finish the leftovers just because they are there and they taste good. I need to make a concentrated effort to stop doing that. I was having that same issue after my surgery, but I would eat a small amount and stop when I felt nauseated. Now, I am not feeling nauseated until after I've finished eating.

Also, I noticed lately that my fingernails and toe nails are growing extremely fast. I was thinking that it might be a sign of some medical condition but when I googled it most sites said that it is caused by eating more nutritious food. This started around the time I increased my vegetable consumption. They said it will also thicken your hair, but I have always had very thick hair and don't need it to thicken any more.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #6  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

I have only had a chance to keep up reading what you all are up to ~ but haven't gotten a chance to post lately.

Busy here getting stuff ready for Christmas and getting to visit some friends and relatives. Plus there have been some special seasonal activities for kids that we have taken DGD Maddie to.

One was a holiday concert last night. It was nice/fun. I unfortunately discovered after we got home that I had lost one of the lenses out of my eye glasses. I called the place and the lady there was gonna look in the lost and found, but didn't sound very hopeful that it had been found. Thankfully, I can see to do most stuff without them ~ mostly needing them for reading and some other situations. I have a pair of old ones and some reading glasses (that is where I neeed them most) that will get me through until I can get a new lens made if they were unable to find mine.

My son is supposed to stop by today ~ that will brighten my day ~ I always look forward to getting to see him. It is his birthday Sunday ~ he will be 37. A week or so later is our wedding anniversary ~ 38 years ~ where has the time gone?

Hope you all are having a nice day.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #7  

Boy, when this thread dies, it really dies dead!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #8  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I don't think that the thread is completely dead Carol Sue ~ maybe it is slow right now (hopefully) because it is a busy time of the year.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #9  

Sorry I've been MIA. I'm sorry that I'm being quiet right now. DH and I know we have to do something about our diabetes but I've decided that we have to find a way that we both can live with and be a good example and support each other. I think it is going to have to be a joint effort in order for us to succeed. We have doctor's appt Wednesday and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

I'm reading to get info from Dlife, Prevention and the ADA. I'm going to learn to cook so that both of us will get our health back by getting our glucose under control. I will be back, but for now I'm working on me and my attitude.

I'm bored with food and cooking so I've got to get my head on straight again. I know this can be controlled because I've done it before. I've just got to get past these stupid things I'm feeling right now. DH exercises every night. He can't exercise much but he is doing what he can. Now I've got to do the same thing.

I have found one thing very interesting. According to what I read on Dlife today, the ADA is starting to accept the low carb diets a little better, but not sure how much. They said they think it is okay to do it for a year. The question that the article had was "if something is working, why would you stop doing it after a year".

Y'all have a good weekend.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #10  

Trish, I always think you do good, so I don't see how your doctor's appointment would not be good also. But you have to do what you have to do.

Good luck to you.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #11  

Carol Sue I know that my fbs has been about what they were last time. But I had also had some lower readings along the way too. If it is up, I hope he will just agree it has to do with holiday eating. I know I always get nervous about the appt. This is also my yearly check up and I absolutely hate those. But since I don't know how health care is going to be next year, I do need to get the pap smear and mammogram done this year. Some how it got turned around and I used to do this in November and I've progressed now to December. Oh well, it is what it is and we do what we have to do.

I was reading the different diabetic diets on Dlife and I'm beginning to think that I have got to get myself back to doing low carb maybe not Atkins low, but it does need to be low. Even the diabetic info I read are saying that while you lose weight with Atkins, low carb and lowfat. They say you lose more weight with better benefits with the Atkins/lowcarb diet. With strict lowcarb like Atkins, people lost 12 lbs, low carb lost 10 lb and the lowfat lost 7 lbs. Cholesterol etc improvements were better with the low carb diets. I haven't read enough yet to know what carbs are allowed on the less strict low carb plan. I think it is more about eating more low glycemic veggies than Atkins says. I listened to an ad by a nutritionist who says there are 5 foods we should not eat and she says that eating carbs with protein in the right combination etc that you will lose weight without exercise etc. The nutritionist who has an online program called Trim Down Club which costs $47 join and get all the info on line, but I haven't decided to do that yet.

The 5 foods she says not to ever eat are...
1. Concentrated fruit juices
2. Margarine
3. Whole wheat bread, pastas etc (suggests using whole grain products)
4. Processed soy foods/products
5. GMO corn

I don't drink juices, or eat margarine, but I've noticed that soy is in a lot of foods like mayo. I have used some soy, but won't do that now. And I don't know how I would know if my corn is a GMO or not. She says you can probably do this on your own, but of course you would do better with the support of the nutritionists and support forum on the program. I think I will try this on my own first and then if I need it I will join. I really don't have the $47 to spend right now with Christmas coming up.

Thanks for the encouraging words Carol Sue.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #12  
~Shannon

Hi ladies,
It is a busy time of year! I have been totally off the (low carb) wagon for a long while, my weight is creeping up, my clothes are starting to fit again (they were loose), I have no idea what my FBS or any BS have been for at least a month. I am exhausted from chronic sleep deprivation. I still cannot use my finger I injured much at all. I was supposed to have my blood work done this week but I had to cancel it and my dr appt bc my husband is traveling alot again and my dr is an hour away so I can't go if he is not here to pick up Olivia from school and the wait there is awful so I don't want to take her. I should really find a new local doc anyway. Christmas is practically upon us and I have next to no shopping done, haven't even created our photo card yet much less sent any out. My house is just a mess. I have a million things on the to do list but I am too tired to do any of them. I'm sure the way I am eating (carbs and lots of processed food and eating out a lot) is not helping matters. I could go on and on! Jesus, take the wheel!!

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 12-06-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #13  

Shannon, I just want to give you a big old bear hug!! {{{{HUG}}}}

1. You are a mother with a young child.
2. Your DH is away for work much of the time.
3. You just moved into a new, bigger home.
4. You have recently sold the old home.
5. You have orchestrated the upgrade and sale of your MIL's home
6. You have had your own personal issues lately...cut finger, health issues.

Along with this you are going through the normal trials and tribulations called "life."

What you need is a week or two away at a spa to regroup, but we know that isn't going to happen. LOL Just take a deep breath and do the best you can. Baby steps. We all go through this even though our issues might be different from yours. Just take one day at a time and eventually you will get back on track, and we will be here to cheer you on!

Trish, if your insurance is like mine, your yearly visit has to be at least a year after the last one, so it keeps getting farther and farther along. 2015 might get skipped altogether as it might extend into the following January.

I don't think the soy in mayo would hurt you, because you eat mayo in such small amounts, like on a sandwich. One time I bought Olive Oil Hellmans mayo. I wonder if the olive oil replaces the soybean oil. You might want to check if you're concerned. I don't eat many obvious soy products, but I'll admit, I don't pay attention to soy listed as an ingredient on most things.

I have heard that you should always eat protein and fat with a carb. Never eat a carb alone. Many people say they can't eat oatmeal because it raises their blood sugar, but dieticians seem to say that if you eat protein and fat with it, such as an egg, the protein and fat will slow down the absorption of the carbs. I think that's why they gave me a scrambled egg and oatmeal together in the hospital. So I agree with what she is saying there. But I will never agree with anyone who says you lose weight without exercise, because although that can be done, exercise is important for so many other reasons and everyone should do it be they fat, thin, short, tall, old or young. I don't think a health professional should ever say you don't need to exercise. Just my opinion.

Maybe by going through this program you will find what works for you in the long run. There might be a lot of things you've already known, but also some different things that will click and make a difference to you. We all need that one thing that clicks and gives us incentive. You can try it on your own for the rest of the year and if still interested, invest the money after the New Year.

I am still struggling along. I'm down another lb this morning, but it's still weight that I lost before and regained, so I don't really count it as progress. Progress starts at 193 for me and goes downward. I have not been doing really well with carbs and taking more glimiperide that I want to. I have had a couple blood sugar readings in the 200s and one in the 300s. That scared me enough that I am back to LC . It's so easy to slip up. We went out to eat and I had an angus burger and ate it with the bun. I have to admit it tasted soooo good, but I have to get back to throwing away the bun. I was supposed to be splitting it with my grandson, but he decided he didn't want any. We rarely buy him his own meal because he takes 2 bites and leaves everything. He ate fruit from the salad bar and was full.

I hope we all see the light soon and improve our health. We can do this!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #14  

Shannon I totally agree with Carol Sue. You have had so much going on in your life this year and the big change of moving as well. Just the move alone is considered an extreme stress issue, so don't be so hard on yourself. You will get things back on track. Just be patient with yourself.

Carol Sue I don't really want to join the club unless I absolutely have to. I have decided that there isn't anything I can do about the way things are right now. I'll have my doctor's appt and have my physical etc and then move on from there. I am really learning a lot from dlife. I really don't want someone else planing my menus for me.

I've decided eat more modified lowcarb by keeping my higher carb count down to 1 at each meal like the ADA teaches for now and see how that affects my bs readings.

One thing I read on dlife was that our bs reading should be 70 - 130 before a meal and 1 to 2 hrs after the start of a meal our reading should be less than 180. I've never had anything that told me that. I also found an average chart on there and just maybe my A1c will be less than 7. I surely do hope so.

Still not sure about the Atkins way of eating. I was able to do that at one time but never followed through. I know I cannot even think of doing it right now financially, but there are such wonderful benefits from doing it. They were talking about how the LDL lowers and HDL increases and triglycerides lower after following Atkins for 18 months. Just don't know if I can do it. I'm just going to work at getting through the rest of this year for now.

We took DGS out to eat at Texas Roadhouse and I did great. I didn't eat any bread and I ate only half my baked potato with skin (I read potatoes eaten with skin is fiber) and added only butter and sour cream for fat and protein and then I had a salad with ranch dressing and a 6 oz sirloin. I had planned it before I went on MFP. Then DH decided to order the blooming onion (not what they call it) and I ate about 1/4 of it. So over all I did good while there and counting calories. I can't believe that I blew it after having such a good day. But it was short lived I'm back OP now. My thought after was that at least they are out of the house. So I feel that I am easing back into my lowcarb way of eating and I will see where it leads me.

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #15  

Trish, when I was first diagnosed, the book that came with my glucose meter said the same thing...70-130 before a meal, and 180 or below, 2 hrs after. What I have heard more recently is 140 or below 2 hrs after the meal. I feel that this is just a guide. Everyone is different. I would be ecstatic to be below 140 after meals but it's not realistic for me unless I really clean up my eating. I am not a good one to be advising someone else.

Try following the ADA plan. If you keep your carb servings to the recommended amounts, 1/2 cup or 1 cup, whatever the item is, you might be able to keep your blood sugar levels in line. Is is better for you to know you can have that small portion rather than do away with the carbs altogether? My problem is, I eat the recommended serving, then my body craves more. I am better off to try to avoid them altogether.

I didn't do well at dinner tonight at Bob Evans. They brought the rolls before they brought my meal and I ate them. I should have told them no rolls, but I thought DH would want them. He didn't. They were in my mouth before I had a chance to reconsider. I ordered salmon and my two sides were broccoli and carrots. No potato or other starch....except for those 2 big fluffy dinner rolls. They were crowded and DH sat there making fun of everyone. He was very entertaining! LOL Rude, but entertaining!

We like the onion at Tx Roadhouse too, but we only order it if we have a coupon for a free appetizer. If you sign up to be a Roadie by giving them your email address, they send you coupons on birthdays and your anniversary.
Closed Thread