General Diet Plans and Questions - Doing our own thing - August 2003

View Full Version : Doing our own thing - August 2003

Jello
08-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Man oh man, I come back here and I have to start the new thread!! What is up with that????

Just kidding! I know you were all just saving it for me! :cool:

Hi girls!!! I'm back!!! I'm one big hurtin' camper :cry: but it gets better every day. How could I not be OK with all the good vibes and warm thoughts you guys sent my way.

Surgery was around 8AM Tuesday and I felt like :censored: for the rest of that day and most of Wednesday. But I felt better once I was up and around. Nurses kept laughing at me because I was constantly wandering the halls. "Oh here she comes again!" and "Hi speedy!".

Anyway, the doctor came in on Friday and I asked if I could escape and he said yes. He took the staples out (surprised the heck out of me) and released me. Took Rich some time to get out of work and come for me but by then I was dressed, packed and ready to go.

It's tough to sit up too long so I'm going to end this post soon but, as I said, I'm getting better. Give me a few more days....

Gotta go. It's a long slow trek to the bathroom. :^: More later.

sassysus
08-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Jello: so glad to see that you are home and doing ok! Sitting up is the worst-I had forgotten about that part until you mentioned it! It does get better though-honest! Just remember you need lots of pampering right now so take advantage of any help that comes your way;)

Take care!!:)

Jello
08-04-2003, 06:51 AM
Hey Sassy! Looks like it's just you and me. I've scared everyone away it seems.

Sitting up is getting easier :yes: but I still don't have much of an appetite. :no: Hm, maybe that's a good thing? Haven't weighed myself since I've been home. Don't really care for now.

Still trying to get up and around as much as possible but not for long. Get tired too quickly. Spending lots of time in bed or in my big easy chair getting pampered. I could get used to this. :queen:

More later.

gma22
08-04-2003, 09:47 AM
Good morning everyone! Boy did I have a lot to catch up on!

Bright: Glad you had a good time in Memphis and missed the storm!

Jello: Oh, it is so good to hear from you and know you are doing a-ok. I thought about you everyday.

Tig: Hope you are surviving the boys until they are back in school! It won't be too much longer.

DNW: Hey to you!

Quilter: I see you have really lost a lot too. How long did it take you? I still have about 170 to go and I am hoping by fall of next year I am near goal.

Sassy: Hello to you

Cafe: How's it going?

Whomever I missed, forgive me! I will catch up. Between, shopping Thurs, grandson Friday, and feeling lousy this weekend, I am just trying to get up and going again.

Everyone have a spectacular day today!

Faye

Cafe976
08-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Good Morning! Monday funday (where's tig?)

Nothing too new with me, except that since I'm getting serious again I stepped on the scale this weekend. :o Somehow, while I was in maintenance mode, I seem to have gained almost 5. Oops. But it's good to have an extra nudge to help me stay motivated to 'straighten up and fly right.'

The best thing that I realized over the past week is that my goal of eliminating some of the stress in my life has actually been working... I can honestly say that I feel ready to make some changes from a place of peace.

Hopefully I can make them in such a way that the activities generate more peace, instead of worry... This probably sounds nuts but my strategy this time is to try to focus on HOW I'm dieting, and try to create routines that I love around and from it.

So that's all I've got on Monday A.M.

Happy to see you back on the boards, Jello!! :love:

Tigerlily
08-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Yep, Monday Funday...if you're in kindergarten.:p

Just got back from taking the kids to minigolf and lunch at a local campground. Lunch was too greasy and I feel yucky. :headache:

Jello, glad you are back. Any good movies or books? Sass is right, take all the pampering you can get!

Faye, nice new pic. I don't know how to make pics small enough to put on this site...bytes. I'm lucky I can post.:dz:

I weighed in at 198 this morning. Still holding it under 200 by the skin of my fried chicken...I mean teeth. I'm sure lunch today didn't help any.

Cafe, changes from a place of peace...my kids going back to school. Sounds the same to me.:high:

*off to lay down with a greasy tummy ache*

QuilterInVA
08-04-2003, 05:39 PM
Hi, ladies! Jello, it's good to have you back! We seem to post more with you around.

Faye, it took me about 2 years - way back in the 70's so it's kind of fuzzy now.

Down .5 this week. Slow and steady but I want it to be Fast and Quick!

Boss is still gone for this week.! I'll be able to post.

Cafe976
08-04-2003, 06:28 PM
I love it when quilter's boss is gone. :devil:

Tiger, sorry to hear about the tummy ache. Maybe this "peace" thing will do the trick for us, hmmm?

Bright - just wanted to wave hello since I caught up with you over on the old thread! Sometimes it's good to switch things up a little.

Faye - my sister said that Janet E. is on her way to me. :s:

Sassy - glad to hear that the hand is improving. :)

oops - boss. gotta dash.

Tigerlily
08-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Hello Chickies!
13 days! :flow2: 13 days until school starts. The countdown is on! I can hardly wrap my brain around it. Both kids in school all day. *mouth gap'd open, dazed look in my eyes*

Faye, are you up and going this morning...get your morning swim in?

off to fix breakfast for the kidlens...

QuilterInVA
08-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Hey, Tigerlily - got the kleenix box by the door? Major tears that first day when the youngest goes off to school! Bet you get plenty of calls from the school for help since you'll be more available now.

Jello, hope you are mending quickly and can get back to us...miss your posts!

Well another day of thunderstorms predicted for us - and 10 more to follow. We have had daily thunderstorms for weeks. Rain comes down in torrents. Last year we dried up, now we need an ark.

I really hate these homeland security warnings - I work within 10 miles of a nuclear power plant, live 2 miles from an air force base and 10 miles from an army base in one direction and 8 miles in the other and 25 miles from the largest naval base. And a 3-hour drive from Washington DC. We got a notice from the health department yesterday that they now have a supply of pills we can get to keep radiation from destroying the thyroid if the nuclear power plant blows up. Made me feel real good.

I've eaten blueberries and peaches until I can't eat anymore. They have been so good. On cereal for breakfast, with cottage cheese, by themselves. Went to my friends and picked 23 pints for the freezer. My husband wants me to make some freezer jam with the peaches. I wonder if I could do some with Splenda?

Well - back to work!

Tigerlily
08-05-2003, 11:26 AM
I was wondering the same thing about blueberry pie/splenda. :chin:
We picked almost 25lbs of blueberries. I saw where the corner market had their "peaches" sign out. I hope they have the white ones. Heavenly.

I've already had the youngest in 2 years of preschool and then half day kindergarten. I'm ready for all day.:s:

QuilterInVA
08-05-2003, 12:07 PM
I actually made a blueberry pie with Splenda and it wasn't too bad. I used 1 cup instead of sugar. I thicken my pies with tapioca and it worked fine. I'm not sure about the jam. I'm going to go to Sure-Jell's website and see if they have a recipe.

Cafe976
08-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Hey gals -

Nothing much to report today, except that the universe has heard my voice and seems to be throwing the best foods on offer right in my path - Oh the perversity of life, sometimes.

Today is going fast - a good thing because I don't love the tasks on my list. Need to get them overwith.

Jello
08-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Hello from the sickroom. I'm nauseaus and achy. Not a good way to diet, my friends.

Oops, sorry. Let's restart this post....

Hi everyone. Happy ... uh, hump day??? Is it Wednesday? I've lost track. ;) As I said, I haven't been eating much because I haven't been feeling very well. Just not much of an appetite. I did actually get on the scale yesterday morning. Down 6 lbs. from where I was last Tuesday morning. Yes, it was 3 in the morning and yes I was on my way to the hospital for surgery but I stopped to get on the scale. :rolleyes: It's a disease. :(

Anyway, I have to admit that all this talk of blueberries is making me hungry. :T Yet, yesterday Rich asked me if I wanted some ice cream and the mere thought of it made me ill. Guess that's good.

We went out yesterday and took a ssslllloooowwww walk around the block. It was nice to be outside even though it was really hot and humid. I went out a little later in the light summer rain. Ahhhh.....

Tiger, your school year starts early, doesn't it? School around here doesn't start until early September. :write: Then we have to start watching out for the little ones while we're driving.

Quilter, I like it when your boss is gone too! :s: I think mine's at a trade show or something this week but I'm not sure. Who cares? :devil:

Gotta run you guys. Put a facial mask on and it's time to scrub it off. Yeah, tough life I'm living here...

SEMO
08-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Just a quick hello, our internet service has been out, guess it's because of all the storms we have been having. Anyway, nothing much going on, just a lot of same 'ol, same 'ol.

Jello, glad that you're back. You'll show improvement each and every day. (((Jello)))

Have a dr's appt tommorow. I wasn't going to say anything, but I think I'm in need of a prayer, okay lots of 'em. I've had fibrocysts for years, well I found a place in my left breast and it doesn't feel like the others always have, so now I'm really worried. So if you have time remember me.

Well, gotta run, you all have a great day!

QuilterInVA
08-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Semo, I've added you to my prayer list. I hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about.

Jello, glad you are able to post - miss you when you aren't here! The boss comes back Friday - but goes out again next Wednesday until the following Monday. I actually hope he'll be in for a few weeks after that - we do need to get some work done around here that requires his attention.

We had a terrible thunder/lightening storm last night. I swear the rain was coming horizontally off the river into my windows. I'm just waiting for the trees to fall down. Over the weekend a tree fell on a house (estimated weight 20 tons) and pinned a little girl 5 years old in her bed. It was 5 hours before they could get the tree off her. They had to get a crane and supports. Fortunately she is doing okay and wasn't badly injured. The house is another story. Thunderstorms on the forecast for the next 10 days!

Foodwise, doing okay. Picked the first tomatoes yesterday. I do love them!

gma22
08-06-2003, 03:25 PM
I don't know, but sounds like SUMMER to me with all this talk of fresh veggies and fruits!

Tig: I miss Michigan peaches and cherries SOOOOO much. Nothing here is ever ripe and never does ripen up proper. Anyone with an idea let me know. I use a brown paper bag for pears but don't know if it works for everything.

Semo: My prayers are with you lady. It will be ok, I am sure it is nothing to worry about. If it is, we are here for you everyday and in everyway!!!!

Susan: We are still cleaning up trees off of houses and such. I know that as of yesterday there were still 16,000 people without power going into the 3rd week here. One man who has applied for federal aid and was on tv said it cost him $8000 to remove a 4 ton tree off his house and garage. I feel so blessed all in our family was spared anything serious.

Cafe: Don't you hate it when food rises up and stages a revolt to force you to eat it? Man, what a nuisance!

Jello: Hang in there, the nausea will pass. Tea is good for that btw.

Wish I could be as strong about my food as I am about the pool workouts. I never miss those. I am op today so I just have to take it a day at a time. I have found a couple good frozen ww type foods for lunch the last couple days, a ww tuna noodle dish and a healthy choice cheesy chicken with rice and veggies. Both are excellent. I even had blueberries today (though they were frozen not fresh!)

Well, just finished cleaning so am going to mess up the tub now with a shower! :lol:

Faye

Jello
08-06-2003, 03:56 PM
{{{SEMO}}} I'm thinking only good thoughts about you honey. But what the heck do you mean "if we have time"??? Always time for YOU sweetie. Let us know what the doctor says.

Faye, we use the brown paper bag method for tomatoes around here. With the weather we've been having lately - drought with heat and humidity, alternated with driving torrential rains - hasn't helped anything in the garden at all this year. And we've had critters. :mouse: Next year, we have to squirrel/rabbit/mole/chipmunk proof the garden from day one.

Quilter, so sorry to hear about the storms. Years ago, I saw a huge tree that fell during a storm and landed on a house about a block from us. Scary what nature can do.

Oh I find myself tiring out so easily these days. :yawn: I'm thinking it's nap time. They do say it's the best thing for me, right? Well, can't go against doctor's orders. ;)

I'll talk to you all again soon...

brighterdays
08-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Hey girls,

Jello: Glad you are doing well. Cold things are better when you are nauseated---they have less smell and go down better. Hope you are trying to get in some good protein and vitamin C to help with the healing. I'm sure you received that lecture from your nurses before you went home.:balloons:

Semo: You are a very healthy young woman and there's a a better chance that it is benign. I know you are worried but you are definitely in all our prayers and thoughts. I hope you are able to find out something soon so that you can have peace of mind. :grouphug:

Faye: We had a great time in Memphis and definitely missed the storm. I like your new pic---very pretty.:sunny:

Cafe: I haven't been on the July thread for awhile but I'll go back and see where I left off. Been busy in the evenings with a new puppy dog that I didn't sign up to have... My daughter's boyfriend bought her a 6 week old puppy and we have never had a dog in our house before. Girl, I feel like a new mommy again after getting up again in the middle of the night with tiny whinning noises! I finally got smart and got my daughter up at 2am and said (as I handed her the pup), "Here, he's YOUR dog, remember?". I think she's getting first hand info re: newborns.:D Good birth control, if nothing else?:lol:

On the positive side, the little puppy is a cute little thing and follows me everywhere to play(she knows who feeds her and plays with her the most). The house breaking is another manner but I'm dealing with it and I think she will do pretty well when she is bigger. But I don't want her to be big!! She is so tiny and playful at this age. I'm open to any housebreaking ideas that you experienced dog owners can give me....

Tiger: what neat things are you gonna do now with the kids both in school?? Time to bring out all those creative things you couldn't get done before!

DNW: Hope all is well with you.

Quilter: I'd be a little nervous about so much radiation being so close to me also!

Sassy: Hello again!

Huntress: I'm pming you tonight to see what you are up to...must be busy traveling and having fun....:write:

Gotta go....waiting for the mail for some tapes I ordered. May have some news re: them later. :s:

Take care all,

"Bright":cheers:

DNW
08-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Well I didn't fall off the face of the earth but now that Bob has finally gotten approval for some vacation time I have been on the internet in work planning that. Our computer died at home after only 26 months. :mad: But a few days ago we bought a new and better one for half the price...that takes some of the pain away.

Jello: Sorry about your nausea..ever tried Traditonal Medicinals Ginger Tea? Or any other strong brand of Ginger Tea. Stops that pre-pukey feeling in a flash!! Feel Better sweetie.

gma2one: You're just like me, I clean the bathroom then I take a shower cause I'm all yuckey after cleaning so darn hard.

Brighter: Glad you had a good time in Memphis and got back safe and sound.

Cafe: I hate the food demons. Lately I've been switching all my meals to later in the day. Just several cups of tea and non fat half and half until around lunch, then I have my first meal which is tuna or cottage cheese with melba toast and fruit. Dinner is normal portions of what I want since it is my favorite meal of the day, and at 10 PM I have non fat cheese on Reduced Fat triscuits or Kashi GoLean with yogurt and berries. Seems to be working since I am eating what I want, when I want. Who knew working with my weaknesses (food fantasies after 8 PM!!) would satisfy my food cravings. Lost about 3 lbs so far and I am not obsessed with food thoughts all night.

Huntress: Hope you are having a great time wherever you are since you have not been here for a few days...I should talk right? I've been missing in action myself!! ;)

Tig: Saw the pics of your Dad...looks like he is holding his own. Are you sure your not going to miss the boys when they go back to school? :lol:

Quilter: Your berrie pie post had me dribbling all over myself. I use Splenda when I bake but never thought about using Tapioca as a thickener...that's a great tip!

Semo: We all love you so much nothing bad could happen to you with all the good vibes you're getting. Like Quilter I will pray for a good outcome. Maybe it's nothing at all but just some muscle making your cysts feel harder or different. You have been exercising for quite some time now and maybe your breast tissue is responding to it.

Love to all...actually wrote to you guys the other day but my post blew away when I tried to put it up on the thread.

Smooches :grouphug:

gma22
08-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Bright: BIG suggeston regarding the puppy! Go to the pet store and buy puppy pads. They are in plastic bags and look like those peri pads you use in the hospital. We trained our Yorkie on them because we were living in Indiana and got him in the middle of winter. He weighed 1 lb and could not go out into the snow (he would disappear! :lol: ) so we bought puppie pads and trained him with them and now he does both, goes outside and uses the pads so we never have a mess (unless he is upset about something and then poos somewhere, but never urinates on the carpet and this has only happened once and he is almost 4 years old) They are treated with a scent to attrack the dog. It takes some patience keeping a puppy on the pad, but once he gets the hang of it you are home free overnight! What kind is he? I would love to have another Yorkie, but we have the cat now so I am through with more pets.

Everyone else! Hope you have a great day! Looks like it is going to be nice here. The sun is shining full force this morning. Good pool weather!

Faye
(Just as I tried to post this the site went down so I saved it and went over to the pool and got in my hour. Whew, I am pooped, had a ff pudding and water and am going to hop in the shower.)

Tigerlily
08-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Hi!
Busy with back to school stuff and yard work. Usually the grass is all dried up this time of year but with the wet summer we've had...mow, mow, mow.

Bright, we trained our dog to ring a bell that hangs on the door knob when she wants to go outside. I bought bells at a craft store and tied them to a string. Everytime we took her out to potty we would say "outside, potty" and touch her nose on the bells. I still remember the first time she rang herself! I was such a proud momma. I even called DH at work. If your pup does poo in the house, take it outside and place it where you want the pup to potty. He'll smell it and go there. What kind of puppy is he?

I need to get outside and pull weeds around the pond. I'll be so glad when we have the ground smoothed out and grass planted out there.

*gearing up for my new beginning when kids go back to school*

QuilterInVA
08-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Weeds have taken over - and it's been raining so much you can't even think about cutting the grass to say nothing of the fact my hedges are out of control.

DNW, I use 4 Tablespoons of Tapioca with 4 cups of Blueberries and 1 cup of sugar (which I'm going to change to Splenda). Mix it up and let it sit for 5 minutes then add anything else you put in your pie and bake as usual. It thickens better than flour or cornstarch, in my opinion. It is usually on the Tapioca box. I also use it in the crockpot to thicken stews and gravy while the stuff cooks.

Jello, hope the nausea has subsided - take it easy and don't rush things right now.

SEMO
08-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Iím back, well I really donít know any more than I did. The doctor is concerned, and Iím having a diagnostic mammogram on Tuesday. She did say that it didnít seem to be attached and that was good. (she was able to move it around) So here we go, hurry up and wait. This just feels different than all the others that Iíve had. Thanks for keeping me in your prayers and keep remembering me please.

Well, Iím back at work, one of the guys that I work with is leaving on vacation tomorrow so I need to get some refresher instructions on his job.

(((hugs)))

Jello
08-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Semo, you're so smart! :cool: How many of us women either ignore symptoms or "forget" to do breast self-exams, etc.? If the doctor's willing to wait until Tuesday, it can't be bad. But I know how you feel with the waiting....

DNW, glad to see you back. Let us know you're vacation plans. I'm going to have to live vicariously through you!

Tiger, puppy house-training can be tough but it's amazing how quickly some dogs can pick it up. I remember having a pup as a kid who was housebroken in 3 days. :)

Well, the nausea's not nearly as bad as it had been but I'm still achy in my incision area. Oh, I didn't tell you! The owner of my Curves called me asking how I felt!! That was really nice. I told him I'd be back as soon as I was allowed.

Better go now. It's amazing how exciting getting a shower can be these days. :lol:

SEMO
08-08-2003, 10:59 AM
Good Morning and Happy Friday! :hat: :dance:

I'm trying not to stress about the mammogram :sp: Next Tues was the first available time to get in (don't forget we live in the boone docks!) At the earliest it will be a week from that date before I'll know anything. Sure puts a damper on planing a vacation. :(

Speaking of rain and yards growing, ours seems to grow an inch over night. Lucky that we still have our youngest son at home and he does it for us. It's not one of my favorite things to do.

Faye, I like you new picture. One of these days I'll get up the nerve to PM everyone a picture. I'll be in Memphis (Collierville) the 26 and 27th of this month, secretary/office mgs meetings. Wish I could have a chance to break away to meet you in person but two others are riding with me and they even entertain us in the evening at a baseball game. (rather be shoping but it's nice to visit with all the other gals, we have a box so we can go in or out to watch the game)

DNW, hope you and DN have a nice relaxing trip. DH and I are running into Sept now before we will be able to get away. That's what I get for not being able to make up my mind.

Tig, you are going to be lost without the kids, oh for maybe a week, then the bus will run and you'll think where did the day go!

Bright, good luck with the puppy, I already know that you've gotten attached. Glad that you had a fun trip to Memphis.

Quilter, We've got a small quilt show going on in the next town. It's running the same week as our big event of the year, the Bootheel Rodeo. It's on the same street going to the rodeo grounds so the attendance should we good.

Jello, you pamper yourself as much as possible. The better you treat yourself now the better the recovery will be.

Sassy, Huntress, Daymn, Tif a big HELLO.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Tigerlily
08-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Hi. Friday. The days are running together. I'll be so glad to get the kids in school and have more of a routine. We went shopping for more back to school stuff today. A few more things and we'll be done. :write:

Does anyone have big weekend plans? DH has a golf outing tomorrow, so it'll just be me and the kids again, again, again.

Semo, no stress'n. It wont do any good to stress. Try to relax and enjoy your weekend thinking of vacation plans. :cloud9:

I finally bought the chalkboard paint for my frig. Going to get it cleaned off and ready to go. Figure I'll start early tomorrow when DH leaves for golf. When he comes home, it'll be done...too late for his two cents. :s: Really, he's pretty good about my silly projects.:lucky:

Have a great weekend friends! :balloons:

sassysus
08-08-2003, 05:02 PM
HEllO!

I have had a busy week, since this is the first full week I've had all 3 of my kids home, since my hand surgery! Its been a little crazy........but i go back to work in 2 weeks!! Looking forward to it, but I know as soon as I'm back, I'll wish I was off again!!:dizzy:

Semo: Been thinking of you and I'm hoping everything turns out A-OK :goodvibes:

Jello: glad to see your recovery is coming along! Just be careful not to overdo it even when you feel like you can!

Hope everyone else has a great weekend! My Hubby is taking the 3 kids to a Blue Jays Game tonight so I get a little bit of peace anyways;) Up to 4 kms jogging now and 2 more pounds lost for a total of 36-4 more to go for my first goal, then 15 more after that......we'll see!

Take care!:cool:

QuilterInVA
08-08-2003, 05:10 PM
HE'S BACK!!! Hello - have a good weekend - goodbye!

brighterdays
08-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Hey all,

Thanks for all the puppy tips---I have the potty pads, Faye,and lots of chew toys but I think she likes my fingers, clothes, and toes best (to chew on!). I like the idea of the bell, Tiger, so I'll work on that too.

Got lots to do so I'll pop in later and write some more. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!:sunny:

"Bright"

Tigerlily
08-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Hi,
Bright, you havent told us yet what kind if pup. Also, a crate is a great idea. There are websites that have info about crate training if you've never had one.

I'm off to football signups. woohoo.

QuilterInVA
08-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Hi, ladies - it's Saturday and I'm at work. About 10 minutes before quitting time yesterday, lightening struck a pole and out when the electricity so I had to come into today to get the server up and reset the phone system and voice mail. Decided to do a quick check on you and then it's off to the grocery store! Have a great weekend.

gma22
08-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Hey ladies, good Sunday Morning!

I went to the pool and there is a sign that says "Danger Pool Closed." So.....I guess I will check later and if it is still there will ugh walk today. I don't mind walking except it always makes my hip ache so badly.

Bright: I agree with Tig, get a crate and crate train unless you want the puppy sleeping with you! We have a carrier, but out dog would not sleep in it. Howled like you wouldn't believe, but I had no instructions either and by the time I found them, he was too old and was by then sleeping with us (my fault actually because we was so little)

Tig: Did you get your fridge done? How does it look/work? Sounds cute!

Jello: Hope your tummy is going back to normal now that the surgery has been over awhile.

DNW: Good for you cluing in on what works for you! We all have to adjust ourselves to what our body responds to best! I too am one that am hungry later in the day so try to restrict in the morning.

Quilt: This country has sure had some weird storms this year. I guess there was a storm somewhere that knocked down a platform at a Christian Singing groups concert and a couple people got hurt.

Semo:You hang on sweety! I am sure everything will come out a-ok. Wish you had time to visit with me too! I would love to meet you! Have fun at the ballpark. I have not been to AutoZone park, just the old one years and years ago when it was still the Memphis Chicks. Amazing what you never do in your own town!

Sassy: Congrats on the weight loss! Isn't it grand?

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Faye

QuilterInVA
08-11-2003, 09:20 AM
Good morning, ladies. More storms this morning. I guess it will eventually stop, but it's getting to be a real downer. Tried to walk yesterday but the trail had so much flooding, I gave up on that.

Started the South Beach Diet today - trying to fit it into my WW points, which shouldn't be too hard. Really bored with weight loss so thought this would shake things up a bit.

Have a good week.

SEMO
08-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Just a quick hello for now, Our weather has been beautiful over the weekend. DH and I have finally decided that we are taking off next week to go to Gatlinburg, TN and Pigeon Forge, we're going to stop by the kids place on Saturday and then leave Sun or Mon for the rest of the trip. Back home on Friday and then DH has a family reunion on Saturday. Now if he can work it out with his boss to be gone, we'll be set. OMG all the packing and ironing and getting ready!!! Yikes............ Actually, I'd be perfectly content to stay at home, seems I'm becoming more and more of a home body.

Well, I'm showing one of the guys how to enter payroll this morning so I'd better run, back later.

Jello
08-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Hello all! Mighty quiet around here these days. :(

Me, I've got nothin' to add. I've been lazing around most of the day. It's amazing how fast the day goes when you're not at work, even if you're not doing anything. I make it a habit to get out of my bed and/or chair at least once an hour just to get the circulation flowing. But that's about all the exercise I get.

Been eating OK quantity-wise but not quality-wise. :shrug: Guess it's better than nothing. But I'm reaching a point in my recovery where I really want to be able to get out of here and get more active. But then it hurts. :cry:

OK, enough whining. Semo, send some of that beautiful weather my way, would you? We either have hot hot hot and humid or we have thunderstorms. :rain: It'd be easier to spend some time outside if it were nicer out.

I've been considering rejoining WW once I'm feeling better but I just can't decide. Been trying to count points and control portions on my own but I need something more structured, I think. Well, I have time to think about it, I guess.

Better go now. Time for me to stretch my legs a little. Talk to you all later ... I hope. :^:

gma22
08-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Good morning ladies. I have a question to pose to all you wise ones as this thread seems to have a variety of weight issues like the thread I run has.

I have a dear friend that helped me start my thread, has about 150 lbs or so to lose and was really active on my thread until recently. I have a lot of ladies that need to lose 20-40 lbs and she feels threatened by them (translation I think is guilty and jealous). I have let her off the hook about posting at my site, but I still feel to really be successful with your own loss, you have to truly be happy with the accomplishments of others, free from guilt or jealousy over what someone else has done. I don't know whether to just let it go or to talk with her about it. She freely admits the above btw. What do you think? She is quite a bit younger than I and has a totally different lifestyle than I do too. She is not exercising or staying on her program which I suspect compounds the guilt and to be honest posts at a thread where all they do is whine about what they "can't" seem to do rather than what they can and I think this just allows her to sink even farther down.

Jello: I am so glad you are getting the "itch" to get back to things. Means you are really getting better!

Man am I sore over the walking yesterday, but I probably will have to do it again today. I am taking a different route though as I almost messed up my knee again when I stuck my foot in a hole I didn't see when I had to walk around something into the grass. I sure wish they would get the pool back to normal whatever the problem is with it.

Better get the day started. Today is clean the downstairs day besides the exercise and if I have to walk want to get it done before it gets too hot!

Faye

QuilterInVA
08-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Faye, it sounds like your friend is not ready to lose weight. She hasn't heard the 'click' and there isn't much you can do until she does. I have little patience for the excuse makers myself. You either want to do it and do what is necessary or you don't. I'm not sure that talking to her is the way to go. I guess continuing to set a good example is probably the best.

SEMO
08-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Good Morning Ladies. Leaving early to head to my mamogram appt then to the dr's office for my annual. Whoopie......... but then it's over for another year.

Faye, gosh..... I don't know. I would just PM her and tell her that you are concerned and wished she would come back. It's really up to her after that and I don't think PMing her a few times would hurt. Some people just NEED a lot of attention, and want people to treat them special, so by showing that you want her to come back may help. Good Luck.

((((Jello)))) If hugs could make it all better, you would be dancing by now. Sending out lots 'o hugs and kisses!

Quilter, I bought a new serger, can't wait to play with it! I have all these Christmas decorations planed, place mats, table runners, table toppers. I've always wanted one and got a good deal (I hope) on this one.

Hey to everyone, gotta run since I'm leaving early.

Tigerlily
08-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Good Morning. Six days until school starts.:s:

Faye, what's up with the pool, someone poo in it? I agree with Semo, you should PM her. I'd want someone to PM me if I dropped out.;)
I didn't end up painting the frig yet. The weather was good and decided I should save that project for a rainy day. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Semo, :goodvibes for today. I've never had the big squeeze. The thought *shudder*

Jello, are you following doctors orders?
WW's and Curves together could be a great thing for you.

*wishing I would click*

gma22
08-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! I guess like Quilt I am not very patient when it comes to complaining about losing weight and then not at least trying. I think that when you sit around and woe is me, it is counter productive and gets you no where. I mean, no one but YOU got yourself there and no one but YOU can fix it .

Tig: I have no idea about the pool and don't really know who to call about it as I don't have Wendy's phone # (the girl who keeps track of the pool stuff) and I don't know which condo she lives in. I am getting perturbed though because part of our association dues pays for pool upkeep so why ain't they a upkeepin' it? :lol:

I think I did pretty close to 3 miles today and part of it up a big hill. We have a neighborhood where the streets don't connect and I don't know the housing area so I started down a side street and had to keep walking until I found one I recognized either that or double back and I wanted to try and get as close to 5K as I could. I am going to drive it when dh gets home and see how far I walked. My pool workouts sure have helped with me not getting winded. Now if I could just not hurt I would be ok, but since everything here is tilted, you are going to put stress on either one hip or possibly even both. Old age, ain't it great! :lol: I am sure a lot of you think what is the big deal about walking 3 miles, but for someone still over 300 lbs it is a mighty big deal especially now that I have gotten myself in so much better shape that I can walk it without being exhausted or winded at all.

I need to get into the shower as I have cooled off now and feel sticky.

Have a great day guys!

Faye

DNW
08-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Well :faint: and die...I finally got my arse into gear and did my 2 mile Leslie Sansome tape this morning. It seems I have been feeling so guilty I actually had a dream last night that I REALLY WANTED TO DO MY EXERCISE TAPE BUT NO ONE WOULD LET ME...:lol: That is a dream...I can't imagine anyone I know holding me back from exercising except myself. ;)

Faye: This is a hard one to take when you want to help someone but I agree with Quilter...just be an example. You can PM her and have other folks on the thread PM her that you all miss her and she may come back...it worked for a friend on this thread who used to post here a lot and who's name shall remain anonymous for privacy reasons...although she picked another thread to come back to, it was a positive move anyway because she started posting again with a specialized group that met the needs she now has concerning her weight. Though we miss her we know she still loves us!!

Semo: I know your mammo will be fine..remember your new muscle tissue can make things feel different..but I have been saying little prayers for your peace of mind...I love you my sister!!

Jello: Please do a little at a time...remember you don't want to develop adhesions on your scar site...and you may want to try TOPs which is similar to WW and is strictly a donation at each meeting rather than the higher structured price of WW. And TOPs may be all the structure you need right now. Give it a shot...what can it cost...probably only a dollar donation.

Tig: Don't even think about a mammo until you have to...yes after having several over the past 15 years they can be uncomfortable but it really depends on the technician. This time I had a woman who was in her early 60's and I am thinking oh she will be so gentle because she's probably had a million of them by now...but OH NO...this lady was was from the no pain no gain school..stiff upper lip and all that...now my eyes look like this permanently :dizzy:

Quilter: I am happy to see you back on the thread regularly. You are such an inspiration to all of us...and your thoughts bring a lot of wisdom.

Bright: How's the baby pup...when are we going to get pix of him/her?

Speaking of animals I was looking at my Anatomy and Physiology Manual yesterday (for my class for pre-nursing courses this Fall) and on the top of the front page I see a picture of a cat and I see the phrase "Cat version".

C-C-A-A-T VERSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So Bob, my husband says, "Oh yeah probably you will have to dissect a cat. We had to dissect a fetal pig when I was in that class."

A-A-R-R-G-G-H!!!!! :mad: ...the irony of it...I am the supreme cat lover (Rosie my darling little 3 year old orange tabby HIDE YOUR EYES WITH YOUR PAWS and don't worry...I won't practice on you, I promise. :^:

I have to call the school...maybe I got the wrong manual from the book store and I really hope so because dissecting a cat is going to make me very unhappy!!

Love to you all :grouphug:

Cafe976
08-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Good morning ladies!

I'm so glad to catch up with all of you. Last week turned out to be a bad week for me - the second half. I got blindsided by pre-anniversary stress (my dead nephew's birthday is this week) AND horrible raging, unexplicable PMS with a 4-days early start, stop, and start again to the period and a nauseated migraine on top of it. I wasn't expecting either of those 2 things to kick in when they did? And I usually have fairly easy, regular periods. Sigh. But I'm better now. I actually think this week may go smoothly, in comparison.

SEMO {{hugs}} hang in there! Hopefully it is all a big nothing.

Jello {{hugs}} glad to hear your recovery is going well.

OK, now I'm going to be in trouble, LOL, so Everybody out there {{hugs too}}.

I feel better already, hee hee.

Faye, Janet E. has arrived. My sister somewhere found a pretty, flowered puffy envelope. I walked into the entryway and called out BOOK? Book? Opened my mailbox: no book. Trudged up the stairs and the pretty package was leaning against the door. :) I'm very proud of your walking! 3 mi. is plenty, and I've only got 2 C-notes to carry around.

Well, I gotta run because I am at the desk of my boss's boss's secretary becuz she's on vacation this week. This means I need to act responsibly for a change. So HEY THERE to everyone not otherwise mentioned.

Cafe, renewed, thank God.

Cafe976
08-12-2003, 12:29 PM
DNW, is it OK to giggle at your cat predicament? If it was me it would not be funny, but... when it's someone else it's a LITTLE funny. What will you name your dissection critter, if it is to be?

Cafe, with a taste for the macabre (must be the dieting?)

QuilterInVA
08-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Gads, DNW that brings back memories of many years ago when in college we dissected a cat. The embalming fluid smelled so bad I couldn't concentrate and my lab partner did most of the work. I love cats, too. I guess better than a person.

Jello
08-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Well now! THIS is more like it! I just love coming in here and seeing all the faces! :gossip: Even DNW is here! Missed you girlie!

Faye, like others have said, I have no patience for the "whiners" and the excuse makers. :mad: And you know who I especially hate to hear whining?

ME!!!!! I simply CANNOT become that girl!

DNW, in my high school (a million years ago :rolleyes: ) we had the choice. We either took 2 semesters of biology - complete with fetal kitten dissections - or 2 semesters of physics and 2 semesters of earth sciences. I took the long route. I still don't understand ... why kittens????

Cafe, I like the renewed Cafe version! But easy, regular periods??? What're they????

Tiger, I'm dying to hear how the fridge comes out.

Semo, good luck with the mammogram. Hm, :chin: is it proper to say "good luck" for a mammo? Well, sounds better than "have fun" I guess. :lol:

Well, I've gotta go. Changing the bed sheets today. Took the old ones off, got some of the new pillow cases on... Then had to stop and rest. Feeling a little old here.

... But NOT whining, I swear! :^:

SEMO
08-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Ummmmmmm, I have a cat I could donate! No, not even I could do such a horrid thing. LOL

gma22
08-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Tig: You were right about the pool. I found out some scuzball jumped the fence Saturday night took a dump in the pool and threw in garbage. Jerk! It is back open today AFTER I walked the 3 miles of course :lol: ! I went over anyway and tried doing some stretching and easy laps just to relax the butt muscles etc from walking.

EEEK dissecting a cat! Well, as sad as that would be for me, I would probably be ok as long as it wasn't a rodent! I would surely fail the class if that was the assignment! I would rather dissect an elephant!

I just wanted to pop in and see what was cookin'. Talk to you all later!

Faye

SEMO
08-13-2003, 10:34 AM
I'm doing the Happy Dance......:dance: Everything is A OKAY! They did the mammogram, then an ultrasound and it is a cycst. After that I went for my annual, so I can leave on vacation worry free. :D I have to tell you that I was plenty worried. It's all better now, thanks ya'll, I appreciate each of you so much. I share things here that I don't even tell others, funny how we have developed such a bond.

Faye, EWwwwwwwwww, floating baby ruth bar, giggle! What in the world would possess someone to do such a thing?
Lots of sick-o's!

Jello, When do you go back for your checkup? Changing bedsheets? No lifting Girlie!

Cafe, :grouphug: hope the rest of the week is a winner.

Tig, Okay, five more days, what do you have planned for your first day of Freedom? :bubbles:

DNW, You amaze me girlfriend...... I just want to coast along until I can retire. (Saving all my engery until then, then I'm gonna kick up my heels!)

Bright, how's the puppy training going? My DS and DIL are having a terrible time training theirs....... think they would give him to me if I wanted him....... makes me a little worried about when they have kids!

Quilter, Are you still teaching a quilting class? Wish I could learn to hand quilt better. It's so far inbetween time that I quilt that my stitches look very uneven. This older lady told me once, just make a GOOD knot an it'll be okay. :D

Hugs to all, gotta get busy.

DNW
08-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Yippie for Semo...thank God you are OK. Now you can party. I am glad you handled this situation immediately though as some try to ignore body changes and at our stage of life we need to be very aware of any changes and get medical attention immediately. I will sleep better tonight knowing you are fine...have a great vacation!

Faye: Yuckers about the pool...but nothing surprises me these days...hopefully someone will crap in THEIR pool someday..what goes around comes around...what a jerk!!

Cafe976
08-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Good morning ladies.

Quil - always good to find another cat lover... shoo that boss AWAY again! He sounds like a pill, snicker.

SEMO, almost spit something out re: donating that darn cat that's not really supposed to be yours, hee hee.

OK, I must be naughty this morning.

Faye, Say it with me - PooooooooL. OMG, maybe I need to go to the kiddie board.

Jello - you just reminded me - I bought some new sheets and they're in the dryer all wrinkled because I didn't take them out. Sokay, with a warmup and spreading them out on the bed they'll be FINE.

OK, I'm getting work distractions big time - gotta run.

P.S. SEMO - I'm so happy for you! Whew.

And a Hey there! To DNW, crossing paths.

And a P.S.S. to say I'm almost afraid to talk about dieting because after my meltdown on Sunday I said, "LOOK, maybe this is poor timing." and after deciding I'd wait a week and see what happens, I've actually been doing good so far this week without expecting it from myself at all. Odd, isn't it?

sassysus
08-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Semo: glad to hear everything went well, what a relief for you!

Jello: Hope your recovery is going smoothly...no lifting!!

Faye: That is absolutely disgusting about the pool-hope it happens back at them !

Everyone else hope you are doing well and have a great day!

QuilterInVA
08-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Semo - doing the happy dance for you - so glad everything is okay - prayers are answered.

Jello - don't overdo it!

He left for 3 days in Washington - happy days are here again.

We are still have rain every day - do you suppose I've been transplanted to Seattle and didn't know it?

My printer seems to be having some kind of nervous breakdown. I've changed printheads and cartridges (it's a Professional Series HP 2000C that cost $1400) and I don't know what else to do. It keeps saying its out of magenta. I've put 2 magenta cartridge and a new magenta printhead. I'm about ready to put it in the trash and order a new one. I can't really function without a printer.

gma22
08-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Hey group! How's it going!

If I ever need a laugh I know where to come. You guys keep me in stitches.

Quilt: Does it print ok? I mean try and print something in red or whatever and see if it prints or does it quit when there is a problem? Sounds like a flooky thing like our car!

BTW: Car is fine. Passed inspection with flying colors and our manual says it could be one of three things, out of gas (which it isn't), gas cap not on tight (we checked it) or bad or watery fuel (which they say the solution is to put higher grade in to counteract the bad stuff) The light should go out by itself after starting it cold 3 times and driving it each time so we will see, but there is nothing wrong with the car thank goodness, so the $350 stays in my pocket!

Sassy: The people that keep coming and sabotaging the pool live in the area and because they have no where to swim keep showing up at our pool and getting chased out so they take revenge. This is about the 3rd time this year they have done something. Other times they have stolen all the chairs, and another time they threw all the chairs, tables, trashcans etc into the pool. They are just lowlife hoods!

Cafe: Sometimes when we let things alone and don't concentrate on them so much, we have better results and that must be you! Glad you are doing well!

DNW: When do you start classes? I bet you are really excited to be doing something new, huh?

SEMO: Oh I am so glad everything is ok. I just knew it would be. I have never had problems like other women (ie cysts, uterine trouble, yeast infections, kidney or bladder infections) luckily except for my menopause junk which is just a pain not harmful! I sure feel for people who do have scares like you have! I am pleased everything turned out ok!

Jello: I am not big on "whining" either. Either you want to do it or you don't. If you don't let it go and be yourself and if you do, then at least try and work at it, right?

Well it is clean the downstairs day and I am delaying the inevitable so I will put on my BJ Thomas CD and clean clean clean!

Faye

SEMO
08-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Sassy, sorry sweetie, didn't mean to leave you out this morning! You are just going to have to make more noise! Are you ready to go back to work? Guess kids will be returning to school and mom back to work.

QuilterInVA
08-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Printer - RIP! It is dead and gone to the old printer heaven. Can't be fixed for a reasonable amount. We have a computer repair in our building and he told me is wasn't worth fixing. So tomorrow I go get a new one.

Really like this South Beach. I don't get hungry between meals and that is a rareity for me!

Boss has only called 3 times this afternoon. Well, hopefully they'll keep him busy tomorrow and Friday.

Jello
08-14-2003, 08:09 AM
I'm printing this in Magenta just for Quilter! :lol:

Seriously, sorry to hear about your printer. Of course, these days, it's easier and usually cheaper to buy a new one than try to fix the old one. Guess you found that out too. :(

DNW, thanks for the suggestion about TOPS. I looked into it and found out there's a weekly meeting near me. The first meeting is free and then there's a $30 registration fee but the weekly fee is only a buck. Much better than the $12 a week at WW! The meetings sound like WW with a weekly weigh-in, etc. Once I'm back on my feet completely, I'm going to look into it I think.

Speaking of which, I had my doctor's appt. yesterday morning. I've got an infection. :( So now I'm on two different medications and he says they usually work together to cause a yeast infection so I've got a prescription for that too. :rolleyes: It's always something with me.

One thing though - the medication tends to make me nauseaus. So not much eating for a week or so. :^: Hey, any way I can, eh?

Semo, so glad to hear everything's OK health-wise. Now you're good to go for another year. I must have missed it. Where are you going on vacation?

Faye, yikes! :rollpin: What a terrible thing to happen to the pool! I hope they catch whoever did it.

Cafe, nothing like that clean fresh sheet feeling, is there?

I'm gonna' go now. Going to try to get some food in my system. Hope just a little something will settle my stomach. :p

Jello ... still not whining! ;)

SEMO
08-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Good Morning Ladies, ONE MORE DAY AFTER TODAY AND I'M OFF FOR NINE DAYS!!! :cp:

Jello, we're going to first stop in Nashville, gotta see my young'ns, then going to Gatlinburg, TN. Wally World carries Blue Bunny yogurt, get some and start eating a container or two everyday. It has live cultures and will help with yeast infections, plus it sweetened with splenda so it's guilt free, plus it's wonderful! Black Forrest and vanilla cream are my favorite.

Trying to get my desk cleared before I go, Monday the 25th when I return will be the cut off date for invoicing!:yikes:

See ya later!

Cafe976
08-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Morning, gals!

Well, I had a massage last night and then dropped into bed like I was exhausted - and I was! Whew, I'm a mess. But it was good and I'm drinking my water like I'm on a mission (to flush out all the toxins released). I was much more tender than I anticipated - not taking good enough care of myself. Sokay, I am now.

Sassy - I hope you had a beautiful day yourself. Know what you mean about wanting but not wanting to go back to routine. It keeps you productive, yet you know that working isn't what you REALLY want to do with your time.

Quilter - South Beach diet - I'll have to look into that. I like your idea of applying a new philosophy to your basic plan. And if you're not hungry...

SEMO - I'm glad you're getting your vacation in now! Wahoo, it's time. 9 days is just about the perfect amount of time, by my reckoning.

DNW/Jello - TOPS vs. WW, huh? I have been a bootleg WWer on and off but have never had the $$ - maybe I need to google this for my locale?

Uhm, Jello, I don't think I'm going to try the "medication diet." No offense. :s:

Faye - Odd about your car - but good that it's OK!

Oh, well, I've got to go--- {{hugs}}

sassysus
08-14-2003, 03:36 PM
Good afternoon!

Well, DH and I are off for 4 days SANS children!! Yippee!! They are going to my parents and they will all have a blast! I can hardly wait!

Quilter: I have basically doing South Beach for a couple of months now-I never did get the book though, just info from websites etc. I didn't do things in phases either, but I love it. I rarely am hungry-I eat some sort of protein at each meal and have a snack If I get the munchies. For me its not a diet-it how we eat now. Hope you have the same outcome!

Cafe: Yes I will look forward to the routine of work again I think, but just this week I finally got us all into a routine here (breakfast, shopping, lunch, shopping.......... haha)

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Jello
08-15-2003, 09:04 AM
Well, Cafe, don't blame you for not wanting to try my new "medication diet". It gets worse though. Another side effect of these meds is vomiting. I won't go into detail but last night ....

Oh never mind. Yuck. :(

Feeling better this morning. Ate some crackers and drank a little skim milk before the medications. Much better. :^:

Sassy, have a great time with DH!

Semo, now I remember! Sounds like a great vacation. Have a great time! I've never heard of Blue Bunny yogurt but I've been eating lots of fat free yogurt. Like the small "6-packs" so I can just have a snack of it. :T

Well, I'm off to take a slow, short walk on the treadmill and then hit the shower. Oh what a glamorous life I've been leading. :rolleyes:

SEMO
08-15-2003, 10:18 AM
Eight hours and 45 minutes, but then who's counting!:lol: Said that when I came in the door this morning and boss said well I just might let you get out of here a little early! Woo Hoo

Sassy, fun, fun, fun! This is the first vacation DH and I have had alone in 29 years! :hat:

Jello, just make sure the yogurt has Live Cultures.

DNW and Quilter, hope you guys weren't hit with the Black Out! Let us know that you are Okay. Scary, I'm sure.

Cafe, Let's see the Happy DAnce! :dance:

Hey to everyone else, gotta run just in case I do get out early! Miss me while I'm gone!:D

Tigerlily
08-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Hello Everyone,
Semo, have fun on your well deserved vacation. Are you staying gone the whole time or will you come home a couple days early to have a vacation from your vacation?:dizzy:

Jello, have you enjoyed any good books or movies during this glamorous life of leasure? Take it easy on that treadmill!

Sass, I bet you are having fun. DH and I haven't been without the kids FOREVER. I think I should look into the SouthBeach plan. I tried Atkins...it was almost doable...maybe SouthBeach is the ticket.

Today, mow and groceries. Talk about glamor. :p
Oh, and finish up the chalkboard frig. It's coming along nicely. When DH first saw it, he thought it had caught fire. :stars:

Hope everyone has a great weekend with lots of healthy food and plenty of exercise! (except Jello...not too much exercise:rollpin: )

Cafe976
08-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Happy Friday!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/219403/dancing.gif

Well kids, the day's going quick. I got taken out to free lunch at a great restaurant and did not over indulge. Wahoo! Feeling pretty good.

Sassy - South Beach again - is the universe trying to tell me something? Have a great vacation.

Jello - I'm DEFINITELY not trying the vomit diet. I've seen an emoticon for that, but I won't share. Hope you're feeling better.

SEMO - 29 years! Sheesh, you're due. Have a great time!!!

Tiger - You ARE the glamour girl... The way you shake that rollin' pin... ;)

Ok, I'm dying to see if my happy dance worked.

Jello
08-15-2003, 05:10 PM
I just wanted to share this with you guys. I got another card in the mail today from someone who works in the same company as I do. I've been getting cards and notes and even plants, flowers and a fruit basket from people at work. :^:

No big deal, you say? Well, you have to understand. Years ago when I was married to Scumball (his official name) I was "not allowed" to go out with the gang after work or have lunch or have friends!! :mad: He was very controlling and jealous and :censored: .

Annnnyway, since leaving him behind, I've come out of my little scared shell and chat and socialize with people, even those I don't work closely with, just know at work. And, in return, I'm getting this incredibly great outpouring of support and caring.

Very cool.

OK, I'm done rambling. For now. ;)

Semo, countdown's almost over!!! Have a happy happy happy.... :hat: BTW, yep, I checked for live cultures.

Tiger, you name the movie and I've seen it!!! Rich keeps buying more at these discount and half-price sales. I've gone through dozens and have dozens more. Some big hits - just finished watching Minority Report - and some no one's ever heard of. Some good. Some not so good. But it keeps me out of trouble.

Quilter, you send me vibes or something??? :?: My color printer cartridge isn't working. Hmm...... Just kidding. :sorry: Haven't changed the cartridge in a while so it's probably due.

Well, I'm going to go now. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Jello
08-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Yep, once again my ramblings have scared everyone away. :sorry:

Aw, come on guys. I'm not throwing up so much any more! I even took a shower and conditioned my hair and put on real clothes this morning so I look ... and smell ... presentable. ;)

No one? OK, you guys must have lives or something. :lol:

Ho hum, guess I'll find myself a movie I haven't seen yet....

QuilterInVA
08-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Good morning, ladies! We're actually have some sunshine today, after a weekend of bad storms.

I'm doomed as far as printers go - ordered a new one, was supposed to get it Friday, they call me at lunchtime and say the driver called in and it wasn't on the truck so I'll get it Monday.

Boss is back - for a month! so don't know how much posting I'll be able to do.

Weighed in and am down a pound. Guess I need to update my profile. I really like South Beach - not nearly as hungry as when I eat a lot of carbs. Adding fruit and a starch each day this week, then I'll see how I'm doing.

Jello, glad you are improving daily. Before you know it, you'll be able to back to work and the old *itch!

Cafe976
08-18-2003, 12:19 PM
LOL @ Quilter - back to the old *itch... You are too funny, it's true.

Jello - glad to hear you're not throwing up anymore. (much). Dear, I never knew scumball was such a... scumball. I wasn't about to be surprised with your fun-loving personality that you had lots of support! {{hugs}}

Well I learned to make mojitos this weekend.. bruised mint leaves, fresh lime, a little dissolved sugar, white rum, ice and a top-off with club soda. Not hard to do, not too many calories. Refreshing summertime drink.

Yeah, I know, alcohol does NOT help me lose weight. I might be a little puffy today. But it's fun to make drinks for everyone at a party. And I only had one.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Now that the period from he!! and my anniversary-grieving has passed, I need to get my booty moving for the last 2 weeks of August.

Girls, Jeans season will be upon us before we know it. Don't know about you all, but I would sure like my favorite jeans to be a little loose. Are you with me?

Going to work on a project, then check out the South Beach diet. <<Go, Quilter!>>

Tigerlily
08-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Monday Funday! Really it is! The kids are both at school ALL DAY! It isn't even lunch time yet and already I've went for an hour walk, done two loads of laundry and went to Kmart. :D
I've made a list a mile long of projects I've been wanting to do. I must admit the list is a bit overwhelming.:^:

I saw the South Beach diet book at the store. 18bucks. I need to read more online before I spring for the book. This week, my goals are too exercise five days, get my water level back up and get organized for whatever type of "plan" I decide to give a go.

Cafe, JEANS:fr: I am SOO not ready for jeans. But, I will be in shortly.:yes: I'm feeling good about the kids being in school and taking a little time/effort for my self care.

Jello, when do you go back to work? Have you been scale hop'n with your medication diet?

I'm off to cross something off my list...:wave:

gma22
08-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Hello everybody! Looks like things are humming along!

Jello: I am glad you are finally coming out of the "urps" as my mom used to call them.

Tig: Can't wait to "see" the chalkboard fridge. You will have to post a pic for us! I just think that is the neatest idea.

Quilt: When I worked for the mechanical company we ordered from Office Max and dang they would mess up more stuff! Hope you get your printer soon!

Cafe: I have a brand new never been worn pair of jeans that I am bound and determined to be able to get into when I go to Chicago the end of Sept. I have had them hanging in my closet for about 5 years now. They never fit and I never took them back. I put them on the other day and they are about 2 inches still to go and then voila I may be in jeans again. Haven't worn anything but knit pants for years and years! I want khakis too with zippers!

DNW: Hope you are having a good day!

Semo: Same with you!

Ooh girls, I found something great to drink, pretty good for you and not bad on cal at all. Now you have to like bloody mary's/tomato juice, but I bought a bottle of the spicy bloody mary mix at the commissary and put it over ice. I love it and the cal are only about 35 per glass I think. I could care less about the booze part so I am happy as a clam!

Well, gotta go and get a shower. Did about 75 minutes in the pool today! YAHOO! I am thinking about buying a Tony Little Gazelle Freestyle for the winter months and to try and get my dh motiviated to exercise. Have any of you used one?

Faye

QuilterInVA
08-18-2003, 06:52 PM
So glad to hear you all are doin great. It has been Friday the 13th today...lightning struck out phone system, database server and one switch box for the Internet. Mother Board is fried and they are replacing it as I write. Hard drive looks okay so cross you fingers. I back the whole system up every night at midnight so I should be okay. Also got 2 workstation computers - one was just etherlink so I'm hoping the other will be okay without too much fuss. Never know. Anyway - I'm have carrots for dinner and we'll be working into the night.

gma22
08-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Good morning ladies!

I am up on cloud nine and probably won't come down for quite a bit. I got a call from my oldest (he is nearly 30 and single) last night and after pleasantries said he wanted to talk to me about something. I said ok, and he told me that he is going to propose to his girlfriend in the next couple weeks and they are planning to get married next spring! WOOHOO! We have been waiting for this one for some time. (he has sworn me to secrecy from the rest of the family members because he hasn't formally asked her yet, but he allowed me to tell dh and to let you know how shocked we were, dh grabbed his chest and in true Sanford and Son fashion fell on the floor saying, "Hang on Elizabeth, I am coming!" :lol: :lol: ) We really thought he would never get married. He is marrying a lovely girl and is already part of the family. They were best friends in high school and remained friends until about a year or so ago and he came to me asking my advice on whether or not to pursue her as a romance. He told me he had loved her for a long time, but didn't want to louse up a good friendship. I told him friendship was the BEST place to start a romantic relationship and to go for it. At the same time almost, she was asking her mom the SAME THING! :lol:

This is the incentive I need to kick my butt into high gear as far as dieting is concerned. I wore a size 34 to my daughter's wedding and looked like a pepto bismal blimp in the pictures. I want to be a 18-20 for his wedding and dh told me the sky's the limit on a dress so I have already starting compiling pics etc for him to start looking at.

When we go to Chicago next month, they are coming over to the game on Sunday and so he told me she should have her ring by then.

Hope you ladies all have a great day. I think mine is going to be spectacular!

Faye

Tigerlily
08-19-2003, 10:48 AM
Good Morning!
Faye, congrats on your good news and added motivation.:cb:
I'll put up a frig pick eventually. I wish I knew how to attach them here. My pics are always too big and like I've said before...I'm lucky I can do email. :rolleyes:
I can't remember if I told you gals that my frog de-legger broke down last Friday. The mower man says it will be this weekend at the earliest getting it back. My yard is going to be a mess. But in the meanwhile, I'm going shopping!:D
I need to get new bed pillows and some clothes that make me look thinner. :lol:

:wave:

Cafe976
08-19-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi there, gals!

Faye - Congrats on the good news re: DS! It's so great that he's marrying a good, good friend.

Quilter - Ya know, I think your boss-man is cursed because when he shows up, even for a few days, he blows out some of your equipment. He's gone, it rains for 2 weeks... no problems. He drops in, the printer quits. He leaves... OK. He returns, computers drop like flies. Think about it!

Tiger - awww I'm so SAD for you and your mower. Not! There is a prevention magazine article online about the South Beach diet that describes it. But you know me, I gotta read the book. I'm thinking I need something fresh for added inspiration.

Can I make an acronym and call it the SOB diet?? :devil:

~Cafe

DNW
08-19-2003, 02:54 PM
Hi Guys:

Faye: Big CONGRATS...DH and I were friends first and lovers after and we have been happily married for over ten years and it gets better all the time...best to your son and future daughter-in-law.

Tig: You're like me...once I have the house to myself then I can plan, plan, plan, and get everythinbg done in no time. By the way you are going to do a great job losing weight 'cause I can tell you are so-o-o motivated.

Cafe: Those mojitos sound mighty refreshing...I wonder what I could put that's non-alcoholic in place of the rum...anyone got any ideas?

Jello: Glad you're not bowl hugging anymore...that is the worst for me..isn't good to be up and about?

Quilter: Man on man...when you get the ghost in the machine you really get it...could anything else of gone wrong??

Semo: Hope you are having a ball and gettin' some smoochin' in too!

As for me...I woke up with a very small insignificant back pain yesterday morning and thought well I will just bend over and stretch a bit...OH WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems I pulled on my sciatic nerve, and now I am walking around like the night of the living dead...why don't I ever leave well enough alone?? :mad: Anyway went to the chiropractor and she did her thing...but I have had this before and will have to wait it out...me and my bright ideas.

Hey to Brighter and Huntress: Where are you gals????????

Love and Smooches to All:grouphug:

Cafe976
08-19-2003, 05:06 PM
DNW - Sciatica gives a whole new meaning to pain in the a$$! It might be almost funny if you weren't in so much pain, I'm sorry to hear about that. Hope the chiro et al can fix you up sooner rather than later. {{DNW}}

gma22
08-19-2003, 07:44 PM
We are one bunch of falling apart ladies! :lol:

DNW: Hope you get to feeling better soon and make sure you protect the back flanks so you can't be taken from behind. :o

Hope all the rest of you are fit as a fiddle. I am sore as I went and did an hour and half in the pool today with an hour being aerobics. My hips are major P*$#@% off at me! :lol:

Tig: We have this casino game for our computer and it has a slots section. One of the slot games is called "road pizza" and when you click the button a truck starts driving and when it stops you have "road kill" on your wheels. So many matches you get money etc. I always think of that when I think of those poor little Kermits running trying to get out of your way!:lol:

Have a good night ladies.

Faye

QuilterInVA
08-20-2003, 09:16 AM
So far we have over $40,000 in equipment that has to be replaced from the lightening. I worked 12 hours Monday, 17.5 hours yesterday and back for another day. Our new server should be in this afternoon so another long night. The phones are up but not fully programmed. Good news is I've lost 3 pounds...no time to eat. Have to run - hope to "see" you tomorrow.

Tigerlily
08-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Hey! I can't believe it's hump day already. This week is flying by in comparison to my "to do list". :dizzy:
I actually wore myself out yesterday shopping.:o I bought two pair of pants...size 16 gloria vanderbilt. I think they must run big, or it's the cut. And I bought an oversized button up suede looking shirt for fall. Wish I could have found a few end of summer shirts, but no luck. I'll have to try, try again. darn. :D

Quilter, I see you are trying the stress diet. That's about as much fun as Jello's urp diet.

DNW, hope you are feeling better.:flow2:

Faye, big news in this neck of the woods....hwy 31 is being moved! It's going to bypass LV area. Luckily it's moving away from my house. Great job on the exercise! :)

Cafe, I'm going to look up the prevention article right now.:yes:

Jello, where did you run off to? I hope everything is healing ok.:chockiss:

Tigerlily
08-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Has anyone doing SB joined their online profile thingy?
I printed their philosophy, diet plan and glycemic index to look over. Friday is grocery day, so I need to get it in gear!

gma22
08-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Morning ladies!

Quilt: Hope things will quiet down for you soon! I have done the nothing works route when I worked for the Mechanical company and with regards to the phones, it was a real mess because customers call in to place service calls and we were down so the answering service had to take all the calls and then patch into a cell phone every time a call would come in. On top of that, the president of the company left me in charge of the mess because the dimwit office manager up and decides in the middle of this to take off for the casinos with her boyfried and his parents! URG! Needless to say, I am not working there any longer! :lol:

Tig: Is this going to be the "31 bypass" they have hemmed and hawed over for years? Is it just passing Lakeville or Lapaz too? It is the best thing they could do. Because of the drive from South Bend to Indy, if we came up through Nashville, Louisville, and Indy to go to South Bend, it takes 2 hours LONGER than going up through Missouri and Illinois.

Got in my pool workout but the water is WARM and not very comfortable to exercise in. We are heading for another 95 degree 115 degree heat index day. :(

It is to the shower for me. I finished cleaning my upstairs and want to get the downstairs done so better kick butt!

Faye

Cafe976
08-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Happy Hump day!

Tig - this week is going fast for me too. Only not as fast as if I was shopping... Loved your comment about the stress diet - too true! Don't know much about SB, but keep me posted.

Tomorrow we have a big 'team building' picnic. :p

Quilter - $40G is no joke! Hang in there. Week's almost half over...

Faye - WTG on the Xtra long pool workout. I can see why you'd like to stay in the water on these hot days. I don't mind being in my climate controlled office all day long in this type of weather.

D,D,DH was at the book store yesterday and called on the phone to ask if I wanted a book - he hates to buy hard cover but I think he got me the SoB diet book (OH, WAIT A MINUTE! Tig meant South Beach not sugar busters! LOL!!!!!) (where's that head banging emoticon when you need it). (that's what I get for thinking of it as the S.O.B. diet, naughtiness always makes trouble).

Anyway - I was busy all night last night and didn't get a chance to look at it or for it so I can't even confirm it's location in my house (hope they weren't sold out) but I think I have the book.?

Ah, Tig, I haven't signed up just because sometimes seeing recipes makes me feel tired, LOL. I like looking at ingredients and thinking about what I would actually like to eat instead?. Like right off the bat I noticed peanut butter and celery were both on the list? Plus I'm not sure if it costs money (Notice the word FREE was nowhere on the website?) So I was holding back.

My friend Jen-jen from CA told me this weekend that she has experimented heavily with veggie grilling and the best marinade she has made to date is just some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, crushed garlic and salt & pepper. (to taste) The SoB veggies looked like the good grilling kind...

OK, beginning to ramble, exit quickly.

Cafe976
08-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Faye didn't ramble as much as I did so my post to her no longer makes sense. {{{Faye}}} :dizzy:

Tigerlily
08-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Ops, I did mean the SoB diet. And like you, Cafe, I did not see the word FREE either. I also get worried about being pounded with junk email. I'm so sick of the refinace and rx junk mail I could scream!

Faye, the new 31 will bypass Lapaz and Lakeville. There are three plans in the works and a big town meeting at the old lakeville school project this evening. It will be rough for some of the businesses already on 31...like my favorite Mac's Market. But it will be good for the school...I've always hated the thought of the buses pulling in and out on the hwy.

I got my exercise in trimming trees. Worked my arms to death with that little hack saw, then carried them all a mile to the burning pile...ok, it wasn't a mile...but sure felt like it in this heat. My little froggy window thermometer already says 105 degrees!

Dog ringing her bell to go outside...no kids here to take her out. :p

Cafe976
08-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Tig - I gave them my decoy email address and that's the screen where it tells you to sign up for the full service is $34.95 for the first 6 weeks and $6.95 per week after that. I will be getting their junk mail, I mean newsletter, though. Those SOB's! LOL. Uh-oh, I think I'm funny today. Must.stop.posting...

Edited to add that NO, I'm not giving them $7 per week for a whole lotta nothing.

Jello
08-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Geez, I can't keep up with you guys!!! Here I am, not working, and I still can't keep up on the posts! What a lazy :censored: broad I must be. Tiger, I'm still here, checking in with you daily!

Good news. Went to the doc. this AM and got a clean bill of health. Infection's gone (thank goodness - all that barfing!) and the incision, etc. is healing up nicely. He can't even feel as much scar tissue as he thought at the last visit. I asked about hormones and all but he said unless I have any problems we don't need to discuss that until my next appt. in November! :D

Bad news. He set my return to work date. Ah, it had to end eventually. He said I could go back any time now so I said how about after Labor Day. He said OK, September 2 and I said Um, how about the next week? :lol: So I go back on September 9, exactly 6 weeks after surgery. Bummer. :( Feel like I have to report to jail or something.

Faye, happy news about your son's upcoming celebration!! My niece was supposed to get married next May but her fiance just learned he is being shipped out (military) in April. So they've changed it to January 10. :yikes: A lot less time for old Jello to drop a few ("only" 45-50 :rolleyes: ) pounds. Then my brother is getting married in April to his long time girlfriend. She's not a very nice person and no one in the family cares for her much (to put it mildly) but my brother's 40 and can do what he wants. Either way, we just want him to be happy.

Quilter, $40,000!!?!? And all those long hours!! Hope everything's back to normal again soon.

Oooh, guys, I've got to run. Rich took the day off to take me to doctor and now I'm hearing hammering and the distinct sound of cracking woodwork coming from the other room. Not likin' this, no siree bob!

Looking for ear plugs and ready to call 9-1-1.....

Tigerlily
08-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Hi!
Jello, glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Off work until sept 9th...you sly dog.

Um, I went shopping again. Found a couple shirts. I've discovered that the wrap style is flattering for me since it's open on the neck line. Has anyone watched "What Not To Wear"? It's taught me a few things.

3 days in a row I've gotten my water drank!
Kids will be home shortly. Play time is over. :p

gma22
08-20-2003, 07:34 PM
I had something great happen to me this afternoon. I think I told you I was considering buying one of those Tony Little glider's for the winter months so I don't have to walk on the sidewalks here or in the bad weather. Well, the guy that Jack works with brought the one they had to work today (it is brand new only used twice) and said I COULD HAVE IT FOR FREE! He said the only stipulation was if I didn't like it I was stuck getting rid of it! I got on it and the only thing is my chubby legs rub together but sooner or later they won't! I think it will do just fine.

Hope everyone has a great evening!

Faye

Cafe976
08-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Jello - Happy to hear that the Dr. visit went so well. I'm glad you got your six weeks. Recovery is so much more than being able to walk around! You deserve to have time to get your health back up, too.

Faye - free exercise equipment - yahoo! Now all you need is some spandex to avoid the chafe.

Tiger - I don't know this "what not to wear"? Maybe you could come and tell me what not to wear? And take me shopping too?

Turns out DH was too 'out of it' to be able to find the SoB book the other night (didn't expect me to want something on the best seller rack, which is untypical for me) but I went to the bookstore myself... Looking at it at home for the 5 minutes I had to myself (sigh) what I saw that was different from Atkins was that UNsaturated fats ONLY are stressed.

Now the reasoning stressed in the book is that when a person eats a meal heavy in saturated fats there is a temporary condition in the arterial walls called 'somethin' that makes it more susceptible to... gunk. And so under the WRONG kind of conditions a meal heavy in saturated fats could bring on a heart attack... this temporary condition that happens bringing on the final straw as it were.

So, without doing any more reading than that yet... It seems on the surface that the South Beach diet is like Atkins with training wheels? Safer... but not as maneuverable because it's got more forbidden foods?

The guy who wrote the book IS a cardiologist, so I can see why he would write a diet more suitable for heart patients - people with preexisting conditions that might make high doses of saturated fats dangerous in the short-term. However, being with my Dad last night he said he saw on the news how the Adkins diet has LOWERED cholesterol, so the Adkins diet is not necessarily heart UN-friendly in the LONGER term like so many people thought for YEARS (which pretty much ticks them off.) What the SoB cardiologist (yea I still think it's funny.) seems to want to rule out is shorter-term dangers, IMHO.

Now considering how long people actually tend to stay on diets for (I can safely say not long term), and how many Americans have lifestyle-related factors that are already heading them down the heart disease highway... maybe that isn't such a bad idea to be cautious about short term effects of saturated fats??

The impression I'm getting (having done a little skimming in Adkins) is that a short stint on Adkins could admittedly be LESS than beneficial for heart health, while a longer stint would trend back toward bringing those [cholesterol/arterial plaque] risk factors back down lower than pevious levels.

Where the SoB diet is a more cautious type of thing that would not add any evil.

So um, Adkins with training wheels. Now interestingly the Fat Flush Plan (which I have done in brief stints before more like a detox) is an "unsaturated fats ONLY but plenty of them, and lots of nice lean proteins while elminating all bad carbohydrates and eating good veggies" diet. SoB seems pretty similar so far, although a little more mainstreamed as the original FFP was pretty stark and health-nutty (believe me).

Personally, I think I'd rather do the diet that lets me eat as much bacon as I want. :devil:

But as I said I didn't have any time to myself last night, what with visiting a grand opening of a wellness clinic that DH designed out by my folks' house and hanging out with the folks for the evening. So I have not studied this and will make my decision later. It might be worth a trip to the Dr. to find out if I'm actually in good enough shape do do Adkins or if I should stick to the more conservative SoB. It might actually be that I've got the 2 diets pegged wrong, also. <disclaimer> But I'm armed with books and dangerous, that much I know. :p

QuilterInVA
08-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Cafe, you apparently only looked at the first 2 weeks of SOB if you think it is like Atkins with training wheels. I eat bread, fruit, whole wheat pasta - didn't know Atkins allowed that. Unfortunately, to be healthy there are foods that have to be eliminated, no matter what plan you are doing. Please read a little more!

Got a new server and telephone/voice mail systems installed and the database back up. Still finding equipment that is fried. It's been a very long week but I'll be working the weekend as well.

Jello, glad you have wangled so much time off. I had surgery for an intestinal blockage and was off 2 weeks. They just don't give you much time off anymore.

Jello
08-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Ya know, 'puters are great when they work but when they don't ... not so much!! :mad: My lap top just refuses to let me log on to the 'net lately. Humph. Must be male! :snooty:

Faye, I'd love one of those gliders! Just as long as I don't have to listen to that Tony guy. Yikes. Let us know how you like it.

Quilter, glad things are getting back to normal. Last week, lightning hit the building where I used to go get my hair cut. It was a couple of small businesses with apartments on the top floor. Drove past it a couple days ago. Place is totally gutted by fire. Really scary when you think about it.

Cafe, you sound entirely too organized there girlie! :lol: I can't keep all these diet plans straight. Sounds like you're gaining lots of knowledge. And knowledge is POWER! :strong:

Tiger, never thought of even trying on those wrap style tops. Hm..... :chin: But I cleared out 3 big black plastic trash bags of old clothes of the "maybe I'll wear this again some day" variety and my closet is still crammed. Better not even think about buying more.

Have to go now. Off to the Home Depot or Lowe's. I need a thin border to go around some of the windows here. Yes, Rich decided to wait until AFTER I painted to replace some windows. It ain't pretty. :o

Later!

gma22
08-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Good morning group! How is everyone this morning! I am fit as a fiddle!

I did 15 minutes on my glider, wanted to quit after about 2 because my hip ached but kept at it and it finally went away. I am still going to continue the pool everyday until it closes, but I want to work up some stamina for the machine before I have to use it exclusively.

Woohoo! I lost 8 lbs this week! I am back to where I was at the beginning of the year commitment wise. I really want to be in an 18 for my son's nuptials. I haven't worn an 18 since I graduated from high school 30 years ago!

Oh about clothes, I am not sure whether or not I told you about the "fight" I got into with Lane Bryant over deferred billing. I ordered $300 worth of smaller size clothing, asked for deferred billing and they "authorized" my credit card. I pitched a fit and told them if I had wanted to pay for the stuff up front I would have! I sent them the definition of deferred from the dictionary , told them to keep their clothes and that I belonged to 3 websites for overweight women I was was going to encourage people not to buy from any of the Brylane companies and really went on and on. Two nights ago the phone rang and Jack answered and said it was Lane Bryant. I was in no mood to get into it with them and was minorly peeved at Jack, but took the call. Believe it or not, this supervisor fell all over herself apologizing saying when they keyed in the merchandise they did not key in deferred billing and she wanted to know if I would still like the clothes because she would verify everything over the phone. I said that would be nice, and she said she was sending everything express and waiving all shipping charges! My stuff should be here by Monday at the latest! Jack smirked and said, "Aren't you glad you took the call?" I laughed and apologized and said yes I was.

Have a great Friday ladies and a great weekend if I don't get back here!

Faye

Tigerlily
08-22-2003, 10:10 AM
I can't believe it's Friday already. This week has wiz'd by for me. I'm still not organized and ready for my new "plan". I'll be reading this morning and shopping this afternoon. I want to be all geared up for Monday. :smoking:

Faye, does the glider work your arms or just the legs? I'd really like to get a piece of equipment, but have no idea what I should be looking for. I keep telling DH we should get a bowflex. He just laughs at me. :^:

Quilter, I forget...did you buy the SoB book or did u just gather info online? I have online info right now...printed and ready for me to review. I probably could have bought the book for as much ink as I used printing. :o

Jello, since I don't work outside the home anymore, 3 bags of clothes is probably all I have and half of them probably deserve the black trash bag.
Has anyone seen "what not to wear"? They use normal sized, real body women for the makeovers. Make'em try on all their "wrong clothes" in front of a 3way mirror. :yikes: Throw away the clothes. Then, tell them what to shop for with 5000 bucks!

I'm off to read my SoB printed materials, decide if I should by the book and make a grocery list.:wave:

Cafe976
08-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Good morning my ladies! Happy Friday, too. :hyper:

Jello - way to go on the closet cleanout! I have more weeding to do, too. I do it in phases, each time I just get rid of stuff I feel totally confident saying goodbye to... pretty soon I want more space. I swear I must have been a packrat before because I'm not buying much now. :?:

Tig - OK I need to go on that show - where do I sign up?? :yes: Wanna hear something naughty? Just GET the book already, BUT right away put the paper jacket on top of the bookshelf so it stays perfect. If you don't like it, bring it back. If you like it, keep it. For the decision-impaired (me) this can be a good way to get on with life. Stores do give returns - for a reason. Now, I'm not suggesting you read paperback novels and return them, LOL.

Faye - Good for you for standing up for yourself with the retailers! It's not always easy to get good customer service, but it's always nice when it finally happens. ---describe--- the glider - please? I feel like I've seen this before but for the life of me I cannot recall what it does. (duh)

Quilter - you are totally right- I didn't read too much! Actually I didn't get a chance to look over the diet PLAN, instead I concentrated on skimming through the sections that provided a brief the history of diet plans and slowed down for details of the philosophy of the South Beach D. Have you done the Atkins too?

There WAS a section in SoB specifically about Atkins which I read carefully because what I really wanted to know was how the plans are different. From 10,000 feet. ;) The info there and comparing what I plucked out of Atkins to get his side of the story is what I tried to summarize...

Now I do NOT know details on how the actual phases of the diet plans differ, no time to read and analyze. (didn't get to crack a book last night). :( I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

What I do know:

*Both programs have a 2 week induction.

*Both programs stress the importance of limiting carbs & esp. the wrong kind to lose weight.

*South Beach seems to be a little less restrictive of actually counting grams, and stresses the importance of the glycemic index of the carbs. Atkins has a carb counter guide (with everything under the sun in it incl. the items you mentioned) that separates "total carbs" from "REAL carbs" which probably accomplishes the same thing with different terminology, because spending your carbs on high-glycemic ones would make your life difficult?

*Biggest differences seem to be the elimination of Saturated fats in the SoB D, and different "presentation style."

*South Beach also seems to be a lot like the Zone with a lot less counting. ;) I had to throw that one in.

So you can see why I thought they were pretty similar, with South Beach adopting a more cautious approach to 'bad' fats.

Oh man, I wrote my own book. Where's my publisher?? :p Ladies, you are always free to skim down to the next post when I ramble like that.

Who's ready for the weekend??

gma22
08-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Cafe: I will enclose a pic of the Tony Little one at the bottom. I think it is also called an eliptical machine but don't quote me on that one!

Tig: It works mostly your legs. I do something that works my biceps though. I stand still on the footpads and pull the bars towards me. Lot of resistance with my size so my biceps get a workout. What about the equipment that Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley sell on tv? It looks pretty good for an overall workout. Don't know what the $$ are on it though.

Just peeking in so better go!

Faye

Cafe976
08-22-2003, 02:56 PM
ooo! It looks neato. Think I'd fall off? :dizzy:

Jello
08-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Maybe. If "I" fell off, I've got enough padding to break my fall.

... Darn it. :(

Tigerlily
08-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Real quick...wanted to tell you I CANT FIND THE SoB BOOK IN THE STORE! It's on backorder! To think, I saw one lonely copy at Wally World a couple weeks ago. *banging head on desk*
Maybe it can still be ordered online...

sassysus
08-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Hello Ladies!

Well Hubby and I got away for our mini-vacation last Friday after we got the whole no power thing straightened out here!! I was pretty much in tears when I had to throw all my food in the fridge out-especially after I had just shopped 2 days prior! But we had a lovely time anyways-but it was over far too quickly-we sure missed the kids though for those few days!!

Jello: I hope that you are still doing well with your recovery-remember it doesn't end at 6 weeks though-don't be too hard on yourself!

gma2one: I have a Tony Little gazelle, I don't use it often now because I run outside, but I do like it. It has very little impact on joints which is good. I also did the exercise just pulling my weight with the handles. Also, if you stand sideways on it(one foot on each ) you can do inner thigh exercises. Have fun with it!

I am going to get the South Beach Diet book tomorrow. I looked for it here in my city and they are all out, and have many on waiting lists-so I have to drive a half hour to another city to get it! Silly me-I should have got it a month ago when I was looking at it! I am more interested in the actual phases(but don't know if i will follow that) and the recipes that I keep hearing about. I think I said before that I am not treating my WOE as a diet-this is how I plan to eat always-it is very healthy for me and I am enjoying it-it is not something that I think about"having to do" its become 2nd nature! Well best of luck to all you other SB'ers or those debating on it!

Hope you all have a great weekend:D

brighterdays
08-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Hello all,

Just popping in to read and add a bit to the thread..

Tiger: Our dog is a rat terrier--8 wks old and feisty! She is housetraining me! Been busy with her, start of school, work, my sis's surgery, etc. Haven't even been able to lurk till this am.

Cafe: I'm looking into the SoB diet also. Is it closer to the Carbohydrate Addict's diet? Putting WW on the back burner for a bit (altho I think you always take a little with you). I wasn't gaining or losing and the motivation wasn't there....
Bought some wt. loss CDs and haven't seen any results yet but I'm not gaining either and it is a different approach---what I need.

SEMO- hope you have a nice trip.

DNW--in my high school biology class we dissected cats---you could smell the formaldehyde in the halls for weeks. In college, we did fetal pigs. It does teach you alot about anatomy, I guess.You just have to look at it as learning experience and the animals probably died from naturals causes. At least that is what I always thought....

Jello: sounds like you are recovering nicely...enjoy!

Faye: I hate those kind of pranks in the pool! You never know...candybar or poo? I wish I had your motivation to exercise!

Huntress: Howdy, down there!

To all else: Have a great weekend!

:cheers:
Bright

Tigerlily
08-25-2003, 08:11 AM
Monday!:stars: Where do the weekends go?

I'm starting SoB today at 199.5 pounds. I haven't gotten the book yet, but think I have enough info from online to fill in the blanks until I can get my hands on the book.

This weekend is my towns big festival. The Blueberry Festival. Craft booths and food booths galore! I hope I can figure out something acceptable to eat there.

Meanwhile, hoping my frog de-legger comes home today. There's a chance of rain the next couple of days and it's getting ugly out there.

Gotta get the kids up for school. I'll be back.:p

gma22
08-25-2003, 10:33 AM
Tig: You KNOW I am jealous of you being at the festival, but not the traffic getting in and out!:lol: We also started carrying our own chairs (those foldable kind that have a canvas bag sleeve for them to go in) because sitting is a precious commodity there! Are you going to the parade too? watch out for the funnel cake, fried candy bars and twinkies!

Well, dh and I are taking dgs to see Monsters Inc on Ice at the incredibly disgusting price of $152 for the three of us. Have you ever heard of anything so awful! Sheesh! You even have to pay full price for dgs and he is three for heaven's sake. Oh well, the price of being a grandparent! (he gets dinner out too!)

Pool was closed yesterday so I did 3-15 minute routines on my glider. I only have one week left before the pool closes so I want to be able to get in it everyday, but for some reason it wasn't open at all yesterday. I am getting ready to go check in just a minute.

Our power went out this morning so genius that I am thought, "Well, you can't see to read, can't watch tv or post so why not exercise." BIG DUMB MOVE! It is very hot, very sticky here and I was drenched in sweat but I got 15 minutes in so I only have 2 more to go. If my feet didn't start hurting so badly from standing still, I could do more because I am not tired and the hips aching have subsided now too.

Well, girlies, better check the pool availability.

Have a nice day!

Faye

Tigerlily
08-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Faye, I used to live on Michigan Street two blocks from the park! Talk about traffic. We couldn't go anywhere all weekend, strange people would try to park in our yard and set up parade blankets out my front door. :p The easiest thing these days is parking at the high school...they have a trolly driving back and forth all day. My mom bought a pull cart last week to haul all her goods in! Last year she bought some really big items that were hard to carry. Funny thing, my favorite booth is usually the Dutch Village one that is actually from Nappanee...20 min from my house. doh!
I doubt we will go to the parade...if anything, we'll hit the craft booths while everyone is AT the parade.

I'm off to the store. Need "D" batteries for the waterproof flash light. DH's wedding ring came off in the pond yesterday. I don't think he'll find it, but I'll play along. And, he gets brownie points for looking.;)

Jello
08-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Good morning! Oh gee, is it Monday? Well, ho hum, I wouldn't know. :p

Sorry girls. Only have a couple more weeks to enjoy this staying home from work stuff. I'm living it up.

I'm very proud of myself. Lots of activity this weekend. Still not 100% but I was feeling brave enough to weed out the front garden and plant some bulbs for next spring. :flow1: I'd forgotten how much I love digging in the dirt and getting my hands all dirty to make things grow. At least, I hope they grow! :o The weather had cooled down just a little bit and I got out there before the sun came around to where I was planting.

We also got 2 more windows installed this weekend. I spent most of the time cleaning up after Mr. Fix-It. Must have gone up and down the stairs 30 times carting out old wood, windows and other assorted junk. And through it all, I felt pretty darn good!

But enough about me....

Faye, why was the pool closed again? Or don't we want to know? :sssh: Hope it's open today.

Tiger, I love festivals like that! I usually hit at least one apple festival around here once the fall comes. And it's not too far off.

Fall. :chin: Hm, and then winter..... Oooh, I'm going to depress myself if I keep thinking like that. :tape: Last night, I actually started thinking about Easter!!! But in a good way. Decided Easter is about 8 months away. I could lose, oh 35 or 40 pounds in 8 months, right?

Nice to be thinking about weight loss seriously again. Time to make a new start. First TOPS meeting is Wednesday evening ... if I don't chicken out. :crossed: Back to Curves next week I think. They've installed new machines, I hear. Good. Just what I need. A little embarrassment to keep me humble.....

Cafe976
08-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Welcome back, Sassy, I'm glad you had a good lil vacation. I do hate throwin' food away - know what you mean there. You've got the right mindset - we have to change our pattern or we'll turn right back around and go back to where we were.

Bright, it's nice to see you! I'm not familiar with Carbo Addicts? Finally getting to do some reading this weekend, though. I really like the sound of the SoB diet because there isn't any counting to it. It is definitely a program geared around getting the "white" out of your diet AND getting the saturated fats out at the same time. It's a very healthy, balanced, sustainable WOE/WOL.

When I flipped through the recipes initially I questioned the margerine-type items used, but the Dr. addresses trans fats and mentions that there are certain butter substitutes on the market that are not worse for you than butter (whew!).

Basically the Phase 2 (after the first 2 weeks of only veggies with protein/good fats) consists of gradually adding back other kinds of low-glycemic carbs to your diet slowly. So maybe your first week of Phase 2 you add one additional carb item to your diet daily (say a fruit). From there on out personal awareness and integrity is the key. You slowly add and watch and see what/how much you can do and still keep losing weight. If you go on vacation and totally blow it - you go back on Phase 1 for a week to break the carbohydrate-craving cycle and restart your weightloss.

So while the good Dr. says the diet isn't really necessarily low carb but RIGHT carb, LOL, it could be very similar to your "addicts" because a very big point is limiting insulin response. [all the same foods and reasoning as the Zone diet, without the emphasis on the 40/30/30 ratio to every meal and snack].

Tiger - I am LOL at your dilemma and then the book not being there. <sorry> That is so something I would do. LMK what part of the book you want me to scan. :devil:

Faye, I think you deserve a big pat on the back today because of your dedication and consistency with exercise!! Way to go, girl! I'm so proud of you for making it a part of your routine with no ifs ands or buts.

OK, I gotta run off and do a little work, but I'll be back.

Edited to add: Darn it Jello, I don't want to hear about how you don't know what day it is. :rollpin: And now you want to talk winter? :rollpin: :rollpin: Just kidding, you live it up while you can. My DH feels the same way about thinking about winter, but I HAVE to think about it - I need to make a strategy for it, wrap my mind about it and think about the good things I'm going to do during it. Think about the months, even, so that I can remember what to tell myself while it's happening?

...I get through November quite easily with this tactic. December is usually a breeze because everything is lit up at night etc. January is harder but because it is the first REALLY wintery-awful month and it's still filled with new year optimism and sunny if bitterly cold days in these parts... It's Feburary when I lose it. I count the days, knowing it's the shortest month and all downhill from there. Even March is not as bad as February because after all, after March it's over and it's just messy, sloppy, grudgingly early cold spring. So I'm going on vacation in Feburary. :)

OK really back to work now.

SEMO
08-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Oh my gosh, ya'll have been chatting up a storm...... no time to read all the post yet, but will catch up by the end of the week. DH and I had a WONDERFUL time, we got back late on Thurs, my Nashville kids came in on Fri, family reunion on Saturday, then breakfast out, with DH siblings yesterday. Off to Memphis tomorrow and Wednesday for secretary meetings, things should settled down by the end of the week. I'm starting SouthBeach on Monday. I didn't buy the book but it looks a lot like Sugar Busters, anyway found loads of info on www.prevention.com then go to weight loss. Missed you guys.............. gotta go, end of the month invoices.....YIKES.

Tigerlily
08-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Hi Semo! Welcome back. Glad you had a good time.
The book is off the shelves and on backorder everywhere I've checked. So, I'm just winging it with online info. It's day one and so far, so good. *fingerscrossed*

sassysus
08-25-2003, 04:45 PM
Semo: glad you had a nice holiday!

South Beachers-if you need any infor -I do have the book now so if you need an answer maybe I can help!

Have a good day all:)

Tigerlily
08-25-2003, 05:49 PM
Almost time for the kids to get home, thank goodness! I am reaching the "snacking hour". I get hungry this time of day and I've alredy had my quota of snacks. The kids should distract me with their craziness until dinner time.
Tomorrow, I need to save a snack for this time of day.
The dog and I are going to go outside and wait for the bus, no food out there.;)

gma22
08-26-2003, 06:35 AM
Semo: Wave from Collierville today and I'll wave back! Should be another hot and sticky one here. Glad to have you back and that you had a grand time!

Tig: You didn't eat the dog waiting for the kids did you? I get the snackaholics around 2 pm so I always make sure I am able to have a snack then or brother I go on an eating spree.

Cafe: Thanks for the nice thoughts about exercising. Never thought I would be one that endorses it AND that actually does it everyday. Something is just set in my noggin that I need to do it everyday and the swimming I enjoy. The glider is more of a chore mainly because my feet start hurting so bad. There is nothing to be done about that, it is my genetically deficient arch that doesn't exist and when you stand still for any period of time on flat feet they are gonna ache. I just have to concentrate on whatever I have on tv and the timer and just DO it!

DNW: Hope you are doing well. My natural menopause "cures" seem to be really working. I am so glad I got on some sort of regimen as I was so very miserable.

Jello: I believe they were doing a big chemical job on the pool. They do that from time to time and keep the pool closed for the day. I am going to really miss it starting next Tues.

Bright, Sassy, Quilter: Hope you ladies are all in fine form.

Everyone have a great day

Faye

Tigerlily
08-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Hey!
Did I eat my dog.:lol: You know, DH and I often joke about her back leg looking like a chicken thigh.:o I did end up having a cheese stick before supper was ready. Not so bad.
I would love to have a big pool to exercise in. We have a kiddie pool and the pond. The pond, even though I've been in it, just isn't quite exercise material yet. Maybe next summer. As for the kiddie pool, I'm always scared of getting caught in it.:chicken:

Jello, thinking about winter...fireplace smell and sugar free hot chocolate.:cloud9: And no more mowing!

I can't remember if I told you all, I went to several small art galleries in Michigan last Thursday. My need to create something is ready to explode! Yesterday, I touched up all the paint in the livingroom...that didn't do the trick. Hard telling what DH will come home to today. :s:

Today's weigh-in ~198.5

Jello
08-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Oh, gee, is it ... uh, Tuesday??? :lol: Cafe, that was just for you! :s:

Seriously, I've begun getting up early to get used to it. And also to get lots of stuff done and enjoy every single moment of my time off left.

Cafe, what a great attitude towards winter! I have to do that too. Maybe this year I'll make sure I have lots of warm clothes and long underwear, etc. and make it a point to get out for some winter exercise!! Always wanted to try snow-shoeing. ... if only I could do it in the summer!! :rolleyes:

And who knows, maybe starting this year, my hot flashes will help to keep me warm!! :lol:

Semo, welcome home! Sounds like you had a great time! :D

Tiger, let me know if you come up with anything good to eat at "snacking time". My problem - my days have too many snacking times in them! :o

Well, girls, I'm outta here. I've got more gardening and weeding to do. My poor rose bushes are overrun. Didn't get a chance to get out there this summer and take better care of them. Temperatures are supposed to go up up up again so I'm getting out there before it gets too hot.

Later!

Tigerlily
08-26-2003, 03:00 PM
HEY! Where is everyone today?
Jello is outside working, but I expect the rest of you to get in here and entertain me.:D

I just got back from the hospital. SIL may be having baby 6 weeks early. High bloodpressure and swelling. Her shower was suppose to be THIS weekend. Ouy. Elsewhere on the medical front, my Dad gets the results of his last scan today. I'm scared to hear the results. At least not knowing, we have been "playing normal" lately.

2nd day of SoB and all is well. Coo-Coo, Coo-coo.:twirly:

QuilterInVA
08-26-2003, 04:09 PM
Hi, ladies. Just a quick one. We are slowly getting back to normal and now starting the insurance company hassle. Boss took me to lunch today (11th anniversary) and said there would be a big raise in my next paycheck.

SOB doing great. Feel a whole lot better. I never though I could do without bread and I don't even miss it. I save my carbs for the good stuff, like a potato or brown rice with dinner.

Cafe976
08-26-2003, 07:25 PM
Hey everyone!

Been super busy lately at work.

So I went to my chiropractor/herbalist/naturopath yesterday because I've been feeling kinda toxic and getting a lot more & more migraines - and no particular types of foods seem to bring it on. Sure enough, I've developed a food sensitivity - to CORN. Guess what corn's in - everything you can't have on the SoB diet. :lol:

Seriously, it's a hard thing to avoid but I've been down this road in the past and I can do it. It's worth it not to have those kind of headaches. And other general symptoms that told me something was not right.

The funny thing is, I don't eat that much obvious corn, it's the hidden corn? I specifically have avoided beverages with corn syrup for quite a while now. They make me feel crappy! I don't love corn as a vegetable/starch and will pick baby corns out of stir-fry dishes, not a pop corn gal... But basically every processed carb has corn in it, as well as processed cheeses and meats and many sauces/condiments/dressings.

So I really wanted to breeze in and catch up with all of you but instead I'm just going to drop MY news and run. <sorry> I'll be back tomorrow to chit-chat, I hope.

Welcome back, SEMO!

And Quilter - I guess your boss can come around more if he talks like that. ;) Bravo, you deserve it, worth every pretty penny.

~Cafe

Jello
08-27-2003, 07:53 AM
Oh Cafe, what a corny post!! :lol:

... :lol:

... :lol: ... :?:

... Ahem.... :chin:

Annnnnyway, I've heard of developing food allergies and such after having eaten them all your life. Good thing you're not a corn eater in general but I never thought about it as an ingredient in other stuff! Take care.

Quilter, congratulations on the big fat paycheck!! :encore: You deserve it!!

Tiger, looks like you might have to have a post-baby shower??? Hope everything goes OK with SIL. And I'll be thinking of you and sending only good thoughts and prayers to your dad. :goodvibes:

Gotta go. Little bit of cleaning this morning (I'm still sore from all the gardening!!! Boy am I outta' shape or what!?!? :( ). Then I'm off to the hairdresser. :cp: Later!

Tigerlily
08-27-2003, 08:37 AM
Corny Post:joker:
A food allergy might not be such a bad thing afterall. Um, I'd like one to chocolate please.:p

Day three on SoB. I've actually been keeping a food jounal for three whole days too.:faint: And, hold on to your hats...I'm drinking LOTS of water. I know it's only 3 days, but I am determined to do it this time. Last time I dropped down to 175 was this time of year. :chin: This must be "my time" and I'm gonna ride the wave!

Quilter, I'm not missing bread yet. I'm already getting in my head the carb choices I will make when I re-introduce them. What phase are you doing?

Today's weigh-in~197

QuilterInVA
08-27-2003, 09:47 AM
TigerLily, I'm on Phase 2. I've added 1 fruit and 2 starch. Tried doing 3 and got bloated and feeling crappy. Keep us informed on your SIL.

Jello, you're sounding more like your old self...hope you are feeling better every day. It makes me feel good to go to the hairdresser - getting my hair cut at lunchtime today.

Hello to all the rest of you...now I'm working on the stack of work that has piled up!

Cafe, the diet for insulin resistence that the doctor/MD put me on is very similar to SoB too. Maybe this is just a good way to eat for most of us. Sorry about the corn...it's unbelievable the additives in our food that we don't think about.

Tigerlily
08-27-2003, 10:04 AM
I forgot to share. SIL hasn't delivered yet. Bloodpressure is bouncing up and down and we'll probably have a baby any day. They are trying to hold out long as possible.
As for my dad's scan...inconclusive. He goes next week for a PET scan. He'll be radioactive for a few days afterwards...can't be around kids/pets for several days. Strange stuff.

sassysus
08-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Tiger: Hope all is well with you SIL. Every extra day makes a difference!

Quilter/Tiger: I am on Day 3 of Phase 1. I decided to see if this would jump start my weight loss a bit even though I have been following it somewhat(maybe more like phase 3?) So far so good. No real carb cravings and have finally reached my 40 pound goal before September. Hope I can keep this up for 12 more days!

Hope everyone else has a great day!

Cafe976
08-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Jello - you funny. :lol:

I honestly think this sensitivity will pass, it's just a little wake up call from my body. Once things are back in balance it won't be such an issue. The headaches for me are a sure sign that something isn't right and I'd better fix it - that's what got me interested in natural medicine to begin with.

Quilter - I think this IS a related to insulin resistance... My naturopath said the organ most effected by the food sensitivity is the pancreas, and then she mentioned how scientists are finding that heavy doses of stress hormones can really mess up blood sugar regulation and cause problems after the stress quiets down.

Since August 2001 marks the start of what I hope was the worst year of my life... And the past year has been a lot about rediscovering balance... The time is right, now (or right now!) for this to be changed and dealt with.

And poor blood sugar regulation messes with your liver too, and in Chinese medicine headaches are ALL about the liver...

It all fits into place. I get the message. Even the early show this morning featured the South Beach Diet. Ever get the feeling that the universe is trying to tell you something? :lol:

OK, I'm ready to hop off my kooky alternative medicine soap box... just processing out loud again, thanks for listening. ;)

I wanna be like Tiger and keep a food journal! :hyper:

And I wanna go to the hairdresser with Jello, too. <whine>

OK there's probably like 5 more posts since I've been working on this for over an hour with all the interruptions. So I'll just say "HEY" to Sassy and Faye and click the button... :love:

Tigerlily
08-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Well, the lawnmower came home today. :halfempty :halffull: I have two "squadrants" mowed. It sucks. The grass is sooo tall after almost 2 wks w/o mowing. On the up side, I can't see the frogs. But it's hot, humid and I'm whiney.:bb:

Cafe, I hope I can keep up on the journal. It usually only lasts a few days. But I figure one of these times it has to stick.;)

Sass, I'm on day 3, phase 1. The only thing I sorta missed so far was milk with supper last night. But I got over it quick. 40 pounds! Wow. You rock!

Pfewy, break time is over. Back out for squadrants 3 through 5.:devil:

Tigerlily
08-27-2003, 05:07 PM
Faye,
There were really bad storms in StJoe county yesterday. Main street in South Bend is closed. Power Lines down, Trees everywhere. Many schools closed for the day. Lakeville w/o power also. I only got the edge of it with some large branches down and the kids school luckily has power.

Jello
08-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Wait wait!!! I wanted to come in here and make a joke about Tiger drinking lots of water and "riding the wave"!! :lol: But there've been too many posts since then. The moment's gone.

OK, I've thought about it long and hard. I can remember going to weekly WW meetings and getting all keyed up about it, starving myself on weigh-in day, etc. :cry: I remember how relieved I felt when I finally decided to stop going. Now I'm thinking about joining TOPS and all I can do is worry about the weekly meetings, especially now that winter's coming and I know I won't want to go out in the cold evenings or drive in the snow, etc. etc. :stress:

Jump back. Jello's obsessing again.... :rolleyes:

So now, once I get done rambling here, I'm planning to go back to the TOPS site and look into becoming an on-line member. I think it's worth a shot....

Quilter, how's the hair look? :queen: I got my highlights touched up. We established that my hair has grown 2 inches in about 3 months. Is that good, do you think? Anyway, looks wunderbar now!

Cafe, know of any good websites about natural medicine? I've often thought about it. There's got to be a better way than lots of chemicals, etc. I bet it can all tie in with healthy eating too!

I've got to go. No, I mean really. :o Since my hysterectomy, I can't, uh, hold it like I used to. Is that normal?

... Moments pass. ... The toilet flushes.

OK, now I'm off to warn the frogs about Tiger! :D

Annex
08-28-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Tigerlily
Faye,
There were really bad storms in StJoe county yesterday. Main street in South Bend is closed. Power Lines down, Trees everywhere. Many schools closed for the day. Lakeville w/o power also. I only got the edge of it with some large branches down and the kids school luckily has power.

school was canned yesterday.. theres a good chance it might be closed today as well. I have a friend who is an english teacher at one of those schools where the storms came through and she gave me the 411

Tigerlily
08-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Day 4. I sure hope I can stick to it. It's easy right now, but the weekend is just around the corner.:^: On top of the weekend, the huge festival and Aunt Flo arrived.:rain: Give me strength!

The kids are off to school and I'm off to make some breakfast.
I hope everyone is having a good day OP!

Today's weigh-in~196 (yeah, I'm scale obsessed. But it helps keep me focused.)

Tigerlily
08-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Girls, DH did something to the mail program. I'm not getting any of my 3FC mail....pm's, newsletter, notification of posts....:dz: Not that there are any posts anyway....cough, cough.
He did manage to stop the junk email. I'm pretty sure I wont miss the viagra pharmacy notices. :devil:

Where is everyone hiding today? :?:

Cafe976
08-28-2003, 04:00 PM
Hm, Jello you made me have an idea. Maybe we should weigh in here.... or maybe I'm not scared ENOUGH of you guys, LOL?

Aw, nuts, I can't think today. too much going on at work lately. :dizzy:

Tiger, I bet you CAN do it, so there.

Tonight is going to be a train wreck - I can see it now. A going away party with my 'lil Bible study group for someone who doesn't come very often. Couldn't just have a casual bring goodies kind of thing this time - NO - have to go to the malt shop. Now, I don't even like the malt shop but I'll have to go spend 45 minutes there at a minimum. I can't eat anything there without risking bringing on a headache not to mention the pounds. I would just skip it but I'm afraid no one else will go and make it tolerably warm and fuzzy. I don't really know this person all that well and I would love to be the one not to go. She's great and all, but... So I'm trapped again. Any ideas?

Jello
08-29-2003, 07:49 AM
Cafe, sorry I couldn't be here to offer solutions last night. How did it go at the malt shop?

Tiger, yeah, it gets a little quiet here sometimes. :( But I guess that's the way it goes. Stopping all that spam is a good thing! If I don't check my email daily, my mailbox gets full and I can't get any more messages. And that's with my spam guard turned on!!! Guess I could get a new email addy but what a pain. :mad: The viagra ads don't even bother me as much as the ones that promise they can enlarge my :censored: up to 3 inches!!! (As in, they think I'm a male.) :eek:

Hey guys, Cafe's got an idea. Maybe we should have a weekly weigh-in???? Maybe even a weekly weigh-in thread?? :stress: Put it out there for all to see? Hmmm......

Well, last night, Rich and I picked up a couple new windows (yes AGAIN!) and then went to dinner at (Cafe, you think YOU had problems??) an italian restaurant, complete with brick oven specialty pizzas .... big ones .... with lots of "stuff" on top.

Um.....help? :^:

The "good" news is that the pizza was ... OK at best, and the service at the restaurant was terrible, the waiter was not too friendly and tough to find. Won't be rushing to go back there.

Well, girls, I joined TOPS online! :cool: Should be getting my materials and first monthly newsletter in the mail in about a week. I'm feeling pretty good about this, especially the not having to go and spend an hour and a half each week at a weigh-in and meeting. Coach Rich has promised to help me. :drill: So I'm figuring September 1 (or maybe a little sooner?) as my start date. Even took my measurements last night! What a humbling experience.

Oh well, we both have off today. More windows to install. :rolleyes: And then insulation and flooring and paint and ....

.... giving myself a headache. :headache: Maybe a long, hot shower to wake up first....

SEMO
08-29-2003, 10:46 AM
Good Morning Ladies and a very happy FRIDAY!! Meetings were informative and had a pretty good time overall. Even won $73 at the ballgame, which I managed to spend on a little shopping after the meetings. There are a few of the secretaries/office coordinators that I could spend a little less time with, but the majority are great gals and enjoyed seeing.

Seems that everyone has a plan and are ready to get started, I ordered the South Beach book on line but from what Iím reading, itís pretty much like the Sugar Busters. What I did not like about Sugar Busters Book is that it is so vague, without giving you many guidelines. I am hoping that South Beach will give me more guidance. I hope to start phase one on Monday, after doing my shopping this weekend and eating all the yogurt left in the frig.

Quilter, hope you have everything up and running and that pile of work down to a manageable size by now. Watch out quilt store when you get your GOOD raise. I stopped at Hancocks at Paducah on the way home from our vacation. Think I spent more there than on any other thing while we were gone. Hubby was tapping his foot the whole time and finally went to the car.

Tig, Iím going to be following you on the SB, so set a good example for me and pass along any suggestions that you feel are helping.

Jello, TOPS, do they have their own plan or do you do what you want and just report in? When is it that you return to work?

Cafť, Howíd the get together work out for you? I would have just explained about the headaches and excused myself. But thatís just me, and we all know that Iím mean! Ha

Sassy, are you back to work? Itís probably hectic at your house right now, kids, work and home duties all starting at the same time.

Annex, welcome and come back.

Faye, howís the new glider going, I agree with the response of T.Little, could not stand to hear him for more than a minute. Feel the same way about Leslie in Walk Away the Pounds tapes. I think they forget that you have to hear the same thing over and over.

DNW, whatís going on with you? You have been way too quite these days.

Huntress, Bright, hope you all are doing okay.

Guys, once again I need your support and prayers. My youngest sonís girlfriendís mother has lung cancer, and after starting chemo has developed more problems, blood clots, lungs filling up and they arenít going to do anymore than try to keep her comfortable. Please keep her and her family in your prayers. She is only 42 years old and has two daughters, 24 and 20. Life just doesnít seem fair sometimes.

I'm sorry that I'm so chatty this morning, just trying to catch up. Love you guys.

Tigerlily
08-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Good Morning!

Semo, I like it when you're chatty.:encore: :cp: :encore:
I think I will join you on the exercise thread next month...starting Sept 2.
I might be MIA until then...with the holiday weekend and all the men home.

Jello, I'm gonna keep posting weigh-in everyday for awhile. I imagine I'll drop off to once a week eventually. It does help me keep accountable...don't want to post a gain.:p Are windows hard to put in? We need new ones, but DH says there is no way he is doing it. :doh:

Cafe, how'd it go last night? Malt Shop, phewy!:devil:

Today's weigh-in~195.5 (day 5 on SoB)

Annex
08-29-2003, 12:07 PM
just for no confusion since I see "hey ladies".. I'm one of the males that circle the site :)

SEMO
08-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Glad you spoke up Annex, don't want anyone embarrassed about subject matter here! But if you have been around here you probably already know that we sometimes disscuss GIRLY stuff!

Just looked on eBay and they have the South Beach diet books.

Tigerlily
08-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi Semo,
I saw the books on ebay. But, by time you pay shipping you end up spending as much or more than for a new one. :shrug:
I'm actually doing ok w/o the book so far. I'll just sponge info off everyone else. :p Did you read the book reviews at Amazon?

Is anyone else going to start posting weigh-ins? ah, come on.

SEMO
08-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Alright................ I'll do it! I don't wanna, but I will, starting Monday for me.

Jello
08-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey Annex, I meant to welcome you in my last post and forgot. I do that. It's an age thing. :rolleyes: Anyway, come in and post any time.... even if you are a BOY!!! :p Ewwww! Boys are icky!!!

Kidding! Really. It's hot here and it's gone to my head. If someone says the word windows to me, even referencing the computer software, I'll be insane. :stars:

Nope Tiger, that doesn't include you. You can ask cuz I like you. Yes, they're hard to put in! And the "replacement" windows are even worse than the new construction ones. Of course, it doesn't help if you live in a house where NOTHING is a normal size.

... wait for it...

... not even the lady of the house!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Oh I slay me!

Rich is currently out at his third "Home Depot for more tools/parts run". He is the most incredibly patient man. Me, I'm going nuts.

Actually, I was out for a few hours. Some of the gang from work met me at TGI Fridays for lunch. Oh, you'd be so proud of me! Had the portobello grill. All grilled veggies and a big ol' grilled portobello mushroom. :T Yummy! Filling and not too bad calorie wise. And no room for dessert! :dancer:

I've come back to quite a mess, started to clean up but feeling a little achy ... uh down there. (Sorry Annex. ;) But I guess Semo warned you!)

BTW, Semo, I'm with you. I'll start posting daily weigh-ins on Monday. First day of September and all that. Oh yeah and TOPS doesn't have an actual plan but they say they follow an "exchange type" program. :?: I'll find out more when I get all my materials, hopefully by early next week.

And then it's back to work on September 9. I can't believe it's been 4-1/2 weeks already! :o

Better go. Just heard the master carpenter pull in. Gotta get my dust pan and start following him around again. I have to admit, the windows that are done so far look pretty darn good!

And they open and close and everything!

Who knew!?

QuilterInVA
08-29-2003, 04:26 PM
Hey ladies - Still working away at the pile. Hope you all have a great weekend - watch out for the goodies!

I'm also asking for prayers for a co-worker's wife. She had a miscarriage at 7 weeks 2 weeks ago. Yesterday the doctor called them in and said it was caused by cancer...a rare kind he has only seen once 30 years ago and fast moving. Fortunately it's still early. He sent he to Baltimore to a specialist and to begin chemo immediately with the prospect of surgery. They have 2 children, a girl 4 and a boy 3. She is only 27 years old. So, please pray for her.

SEMO
08-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Quilter, I certainly will add her in my prayers.

sassysus
08-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Hello ladies (and Annex lol!)

Quilter/Semo, your friends are in my prayers

Tiger I will join you in posting my weigh-in although right now I seem to be weighing daily!

Day 5 of South Beach and all is going well!

Aug 29 -179 (total loss-41)

gma22
08-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Good morning. I posted last night and lost the whole thing so was so aggrivated I didn't repost.

I have been swamped lately and barely able to keep up with my own thread so sorry I haven't been around for awhile.

Semo: I love my glider and am getting better and better at it. Richard Simmons "bouncing" in your ear is even worse!

Tig: Main street was CLOSED? I worked off main in the First bank building across from the Memorial Health and Lifestyle (used to be transpos main transfer station) and the year before I moved we had all those under ground transformers blowing up and setting fire. You never knew when you walked down the sidewalk and over one whether you would be come a crispy critter!:lol:

Annex: If you can put up with conversations about menopause, periods and men that are jerks, you will be a-ok here! :lol: A man's perspective on menopause, woohoo!!!!

To all of those with family and friends that are having crisis physical or otherwise, they will be in my prayers.

Everyone else, hope you have a great holiday weekend.

Here is a pic of one of my new "smaller size" outfits! I gave you a comparison pic. The one in the striped sweater is Feb. Until I saw these pics side by side, I guess I really never realized just how much my program and exercise were paying off. Just click on the word pics.docs to look at it.

Faye

Annex
08-30-2003, 07:06 AM
lol good morning :)

gma22
08-30-2003, 07:30 AM
Annex, I noticed in your profile you are from NY. Do ok when the lights went out? Sure hope so. We had a horrific storm here (memphis) a month ago and it took 3 weeks to get everyone's power back on. Hopefully you weren't in the city sleeping on the steps of the courthouse like I saw some of them doing and NO PURSE FOR A PILLOW EITHER!:lol: Life is tough when you are a man!!!!!

Ok, now I feel really old. Our token male is younger than my youngest daughter by 2 years. Dh and I watch baseball and all I can think of is..Most of these guys could be your children! ( my ds Jack, is 30)

You guys have a great weekend and stay away from the cake and cookies!

Faye

Annex
08-30-2003, 07:36 AM
gma

lights went out early evening and came back on later that night. only complaint I had was that it was hot as **** and I couldn't depend on my fan lol

new york gets the worst snow storms. I think I've gone a few days without power.. I'm a trooper :)

Tigerlily
09-02-2003, 10:19 AM
:headache: lost my post:censored:

so, just going to report...
The weekend was sorta crash and burn food wise. Bluberry Festival:devil:
But, somehow I didn't gain. At least it's not showing up yet.
Today's weigh-in~ 195.5...same as last Thursday.