Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat December 1 - December 7

DW and I finished Thanksgiving last night with a last meal from the leftovers. The turkey (brined with apple cider) was still moist. It was just enough. It's good to start December with that behind us.

After standing down all the Black Friday noise, we now face Cyber Monday. There's no end to the clamor to spend, spend, spend. We are all required to save the economy, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We finished off most of our leftovers last night as well. I still have enough turkey to throw together in a casserole for tonight's dinner.

Dad has been here a week, he'll fly home tomorrow. I was pretty worried yesterday that he might be refused at the airport. He was up all night with a bloody nose and we couldn't get it to stop the next morning. I ended up taking him to the ER for the second visit of the week yesterday afternoon. Thankfully the same doctor was there and didn't hesitate to put in a balloon that will (hopefully) remain there until Dad can see the ENT on Wednesday. We took Dad to see his brother Saturday (curiously, no bloody nose all that day). It was sad to see my uncle. He's so weak he can barely hold his head up. He'll be going home from the nursing home in a week or so. They'll bring in a hospital bed for him and have home health nurses to attend to him. I'm sure that Dad seeing his brother like that upset him and caused him to cry and blow his nose and that set off the bleeding.

I'm not feeling well this morning. Two nights without a good night's sleep and now my stomach is giving me issues--I'm sure because of stress.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

We've run out of hot dogs, so our Fourth has come to an end for now.

Alinnell, I'm so sorry about your dad. I hope seeing his ENT will help. He can't just keep bleeding.

My allergies have been terrible for the past two weeks, but are now easing up some. I'm not sure what the cause is exactly--probably a combination of pollens, I'd guess. I may have to see an ENT and allergist myself.

This week I'll be continuing to work on getting my new computer system set up. Things are going somewhat more smoothly now.

May you all have a good week.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I posted earlier but then the internet crashed! Cyber Monday?!?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
I posted earlier but then the internet crashed! Cyber Monday?!?
re above Michele

Trixie had her surgery on Friday and the recovery is not going so well. She is quite fine physically but has some real issues re going poop with a cone on (she won't), upset tummy, and this morning she had a full-blown anxiety attack when I left that, according to my neighbour, lasted until I got back over an hour later. I comforted her for close to 20 minutes before I got her calm enough to do something for her.

I gave her enough liquid pain meds to keep her sedated until I could get to the vet this afternoon. They immediately prescribed more meds for her. Keeping her calm and keeping her 20 or so stitches in place are key. She is also starting to itch so I've had to put my summer ankle socks on her back feet with painter's tape (I'm not mean enough to post any photos of this poor critter.) One side of her belly got scraped raw during the night Saturday. She will continue with the meds for the next 5 days until we can spend the weekend with someone home all the time. I'm hoping she will be over this by Tuesday and I'll get her "unstitched" Wed.

Natalie and I today had a discussion about taking the next plane to Cuba for about a week.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #6  

Poor baby! Trixie, feel better girl!

Is this a place I can come and rant a little? Dad, who was told to leave the nasal balloon alone, didn't. The tube that stuck out that they used to fill it with air was taped to his cheek. The tape came loose and instead of calling me for advice, he cut the tube off which then deflated the balloon. So now he has a deflated balloon in his nose. I have a call into the ER to see what to do about it as my SIL (nurse) thinks it could come loose and cause an airway obstruction. I may be taking him back to the ER tonight.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #7  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Dagmar, what surgery did Trixie have?

Allison, so sorry. Yes, vent here and don't hesitate. Here I go. We had a rough long weekend between FIL's worsening dementia, my parents' dog suddenly going into heart failure, and to end it I was stuck on a train last night that was stopped by an attempt to derail it. We had to wait for the tracks to be cleared and the people involved arrested.

I just caught up on last week's posts - Saef, hang in there! The new language idea is great. I've been very slowly learning German to talk to my husband's relatives. I've been cramming it into spare moments like being stuck in a line (or a stopped train).
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, poor Trixie! So sad.

Allison, what the heck? That sounds like about the most stressful visit from a parent ever.

Saef, a new language is a great idea!! Didn't see it suggested but just read JayZees post about it. I know it's got to be hard to stay upbeat, but one day at a time!

The cold snap left Florida. We enjoyed the little but of chilly weather for at few days but it was almost 80 today. Always hard to hear Christmas carols about snow when it's 80.

Last edited by CalCounter1003; 12-01-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Misspelled Christmas!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCounter1003
The cold snap left Florida. We enjoyed the little but of chilly weather for at few days but it was almost 80 today. Always hard to hear Christmas carols about snow when it's 80.
I'm with you! Hearing those snowy carols down here just seems weird.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Dagmar, what surgery did Trixie have?
She had an adult spay, hernia repair, and since she was anesthatized anyway we had her microchipped and they gave her a good nail clip. Whew!

Natalie has now decided she is going to be my new desk ornament. Apparently it's a good place to give herself a wash up and also to nap.

Dagmar
Old 12-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #11  

Poor Trixie. I hope she's feeling better today.

That goes doubly for you, Saef. Thinking of you and praying for you each and every day....

I know that I'm having bad dreams/ weird sleep due to stress. I shouldn't tell anyone so I'll put it out here.... kind of ironic that anyone can see but I feel it's anonymous because it isn't Facebook, etc. Dh's job in Beijing will be ending fairly soon. He's completely stressed about his next position and his bosses aren't being helpful. They're just like-- okay so you're going to leave/transition to a new person (not hired yet) so you should start looking. No assistance so he's peeved and contemplating changing groups. A position was posted in Houston so he applied for it. Now he is analyzing everything to death (what he always does and I'm his only sounding board)-- will he get an interview? will he get hired? Should we move? Pros and cons? Ad infinitum. His parents are there (and aging/failing health) and my older dd is there too so there are reasons to move back (we last lived there is 2003). Lots of reasons not to leave though, including my job which I love.

So, what did I (we) do? We've been batting around the idea of a cruise and have taken the same exact cruise 2 years in a row out of Houston for my Spring Break. We were chatting last night and I checked cruises. The only one for the week I can go out of Houston is the same one, which while great, seems a tad boring to do three years running. Then I found one out of Ft. Lauderdale on a brand new ship.... so I booked it! We'll have to figure out all the travel logistics later.... it will give me motivation (hopefully) to stick to my diet and exercise plan....

Last edited by traveling michele; 12-02-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #12  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
She had an adult spay, hernia repair, and since she was anesthatized anyway we had her microchipped and they gave her a good nail clip. Whew!
Glad to hear it is a routine one. If the cone is too distressing, you might try a cloud collar.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Glad to hear it is a routine one. If the cone is too distressing, you might try a cloud collar.
We are having quite the job keeping the cone on her. She is the "Houdini dog" and can get into and out of a lot of things. I think she would probably figure out a way to break the cloud collar in about 5 minutes of being alone. She got out of the cone 2X at the vet's - we have it firmly fastened to a collar and she's kept it on for 4 days so we're good with it. I think her stress and anxiety have a lot more to do with being bored and quite inactive.

She's whiling away the time by going into the master bedroom - where she isn't supposed to be. She's already figured out that she's not going to catch too much flak for being naughty right now. Dh is also letting her get away with murder on her leash walks. She is now walking outside without the cone and hauling like a reindeer attached to a sled. We have some "readjustment" to do after her stitches come out.

Dagmar
Old 12-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #14  

My Dad is safe at home.

My FIL accidentally let his cats out this morning and only one returned. He's worried sick. I stopped by to help in the search but we didn't find him.

DH and I are planning a two-day garage sale this weekend. And I haven't been to the grocery store in two weeks. Plus we determined that the DMV didn't send us the renewal on his new car so I made an appointment--the earlies is very late Friday afternoon, so I can't shop then. We may end up eating out a lot next week.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #15  

Glad your dad made it home, Allison. I've been thinking about y'all all day. The rest doesn't sound too good. I hope the kitty reappears soon!