Old 12-01-2014, 02:45 AM   #1  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Default 23 Studies Comparing Low-Carb and Low-Fat Diets

This is a compilation of legitimate studies published in recognized medical journals.

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-stu...low-fat-diets/
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #2  
Agir pour ne pas subir...

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks for posting this. It certainly supports Gary Taubes' findings, who in his first book (Good Calories, Bad Calorie) aggregates 150 years of studies and research, debunking ridiculous claims.
Ei8ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am reading Gary's book and it is very interesting. But the summary of research is misleading. Not all carbs are bad. Just refined, processed ones perhaps.

Good Calories, Bad Calories suggests that unprocessed carbs do not create the same insulin spike and survive long enough in the digestive tract (as does protein) to release hormones that provide satiety.

Last edited by IanG; 01-20-2015 at 03:57 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/165/165

Height: 5'9"

Taubes also says he literally cannot handle a single Apple. IF you are insulin resistant which a HUGE portion of our population is, at least the 70% overweight and obese plus the 'skinny fat' you have to be VERY careful around carbs.

Plus I have read dozens of books, hundreds of articles there might be a slightly smaller glycemic load with unrefined grains but it's moot. If IR ALL grains are problematic. Agree that fruit with something called cellular carbs as opposed to acellular carbs, urge people to research that, might be slightly less problematic.

But carbs equal insulin equal disease is driving most of the had happening to lots of us.

Last edited by PrimalLarry; 01-21-2015 at 07:12 AM.
PrimalLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #5  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I am reading Gary's book and it is very interesting. But the summary of research is misleading. Not all carbs are bad. Just refined, processed ones perhaps.

Good Calories, Bad Calories suggests that unprocessed carbs do not create the same insulin spike and survive long enough in the digestive tract (as does protein) to release hormones that provide satiety.
I don't believe in the "one size fits all" theory of nutrition. I rarely ate refined carbs before I became gluten intolerant. And afterwards the carbs in my house came from brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes other starchy veggies and so forth. I'm talking healthy food cooked from scratch very simply. My husband still has metabolic syndrome and has been heading into prediabetes (fasting glucose over 110).

I prefer not to make sweeping statements personally, but I absolutely believe a person needs to realize, whether they like it or not, that some things, even theoretically "healthy whole food" good things, are not GOOD for THEM and need to be open to the idea that maybe this person's pancreas doesn't pump out insulin in response to brown rice, but theirs does.

If someone is eating adequate calories of whole foods, avoiding refined carbs, but still is having problems dropping weight, is having problems with energy crashes (and if they have a fasting blood glucose over 90 in particular) they need to realize that whole grains and fruit may NOT BE GOOD FOR THEM.

It's not going to hurt anyone to cut most carbs out of their diet for a few months to experiment and see how their energy levels, blood sugars and weight loss go.

Cutting carbs and upping fats, as opposed to upping protein, should reverse prediabetes (too much protein affects the body the same as too much carbs).

Last edited by ReNew Me; 01-21-2015 at 01:21 PM.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Just for balance: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25007189
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:44 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Just for balance:
" isoenergetic balanced weight loss diets"

It is misleading to compare starvation diets to low carb diets imo, unlimited calorie LC diet work much better then any other unlimited calorie diet, to get the same result you must starve people on other diets. Also those balanced diets aren't even that high in carbs since they limit calories so much.

Last edited by Maki; 04-19-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Maki is offline   Reply With Quote