Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: H~285... 260/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Upset when I could no longer shop Plus Size stores...

This was a biggie for me...

It felt so GREAT knowing that nothing at Lane Bryant or Torrid or JCP Plus department would fit me, but at the same time, I felt LOST! I walked out of the store after trying on a dozen things (and shedding a few tears) bc everything was too big. I left and wandered the mall, too embarrassed to go into "normal" stores, feeling I didn't belong there either. I didn't know where to go to buy clothes. All of my adult years, plus sizes were my ONLY option. And when you only have a couple stores you can go to, your style choices are basically made for you. I had to evaluate my own fashion choices and move on.

I'm still a very casual person (jeans 10-12 and fitted tees M), but for the occasions when I need to dress up or look more professional, it's still overwhelming how many options I have.

Even now, I automatically reach to the "back of the rack" where the XL sizes are. It's not uncommon for me to take 3-4 sizes into the dressing room bc I have no idea if something will fit. I keep thinking I'm bigger than I am. And on more than one occasion, I've bought something I thought looked good, only to get home and have my husband tell me it is too big. My natural inclination is still to hide.

What about you? What emotions did you feel when you "graduated" to regular stores? Were you simply ecstatic or did you have mixed feelings too?
Beka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 95.6/75.6/65.6

Height: 165

I find sizes really frustrating as I never know what size I am going to be in from store to store! I went into a shop recently and asked for a top that was hanging up high, girl asked me what size I wanted so i said 'XL if that's the biggest', she looked at me strangely and asked if it was for me because there was no way it would fit me because it would be too big! Was such a weird feeling!
fitnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #3  

Yeah, I've had that exact experience too! We still see ourselves how we were... It helps if i have someone shopping with me, but that's not always possible... ��
Old 11-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #4  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

Part of the difficulty is that a lot of the smaller sized clothes are so fitted. After losing a lot of weight I don't want to go in too tight on my deflated belly roll, but I'm definitely smaller on top. The flattering basic t-shirts at the plus stores were so easy for me and when I couldn't shop there I was left floundering on where to shop.

I haven't had too much trouble this time around for some reason. Thrift stores have been my go-to and I lucked out with several tops that fit well. Dressier stuff is a different story. I've got nothing.

Congrats on how far you've come! I'm sure it will feel more natural in time. I can't wait to be in a 10-12!
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #5  
Counting bites!

S/C/G: 282/255/130

Height: 5'5"

It takes time to get used to it, especially if you've never been small. I can see how you'd feel lost among all your options.

If you're uncomfortable going into these stores why not order some clothes online, try them on and then you can go into those stores with more confidence because you know, not only are you supposed to be there, but you know what size you need.

Good luck!
izzyboomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Nobody said being thin would be easy lol. You've left you comfort zone in every respect - physically, emotionally and psychologically. It will take time to understand how to dress your new body and that comes with some troubling insecurities. It is a chance of growth though and you will soon not have to pick up 4 different sizes to bring to the dressing room with you. Try to find the enjoyment in that!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #7  

Oh yeah, things are getting better! These were my experiences from the past spring/summer. I feel a little more confident, but it's still strange sometimes! If i bring a M, L, and XL into the dressing room, i try the middle size on first if it's a style/brand I haven't worn yet.

Bra shopping is still awful though! Lol! I think I thought that when thinner I would just know my size and it would be simple! Like every bra in that size would fit perfectly... SO NOT TRUE!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #8  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

shopping for clothes is my nemesis! I have not a clue how I am supposed to dress because I am committed to modesty but I tend to dress like I am in need of refugee status. It is this crazy guilt infused back story of "what if" the apocalypse or the war breaks out and yo have to run with only the clothes on your back and the shawl in your bag? Yes I always carry extra shawls scarves because I am in fear of the unknown.....
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #9  

Oh yeah! Clothes now are definitely NOT modest! Even the plus size things (some of them) are revealing, and the smaller the size, the more skin they think people want to show! Good for you for sticking with your (religious?) convictions! ☺
Old 11-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #10  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Oh goodness yes I can relate. Figuring out what size I am has been so mind-boggling! I'm finally figuring out what size I am in the stores I shop at now, only to be thrown through a loop if god forbid I try a new brand. I haven't even ventured into new stores yet, just moved from the plus size to regular size in my usually stores...

Great job on your loss so far. I suppose it just goes to show how losing the weight isn't the only obstacle
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #11  

You've done great too! You started the same month I did, January '13! Such a slow process but worth it!

Like i said in the original post, fortunately I'm a very casual person (jeans and t-shirts) so that's not too hard. Dressy clothes tho... Ugh!

Last edited by Beka; 11-24-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Typos!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

there are two options on where to buy clothes here - fred meyers and walmart....everything i own comes from there

i wander through the plus sizes and regular sizes and sometimes even the teen sizes when i shop, which is rare...and i ALWAYS pick several sizes of a shirt etc because sizes vary so much brand to brand that i never know what size will fit

i had to shop last weekend for something to wear to a holiday party tomorrow...i found a nice longer wrap sweater with fitted sleeves but the length itself is flowy so it's not tight all down my body...i really like it...it's being paired with black leggings and little black boots...it also took me TWO HOURS to find it at fred meyers LOL
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #13  

That's sounds like it is going to be so cute!