UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #1  

Default advice on losing weight when quite muscly

Hi I've always had problems with my weight since I was young. I'm desperately trying to lose weight at the minute. I'm not bothered about being skinny and fitting into clothes I just need to be lighter! Due to having a bad knee the lighter I am the less pain I'm in....I also need to lose weight to keep riding my pony as she ages.
I'm currently 11 and a half stone but only 5 foot 1.....I'm not fat and I don't look overweight.....people tell me it's because I have alot of muscle....I eat well I exercise but I can't shift the pounds
Help meeeeeee any tips
sallylou96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

When you say you exercise; what is it you do? Do you lift weights? Or do you mean you're generally active? Or do you do cardio?

Personally I think you should find out your actual body composition and body fat percent, so you can find out if you're in a healthy range. The most accurate way to do that is via a DXA scan (also known as a DEXA scan), but you can also get a fat pinch test done at the gym.

If you are in a healthy body fat range, and if you actually do have a lot of lean mass, it would probably NOT be a good idea to lose fat. However, you can lose some lean mass and tone the lean mass you have in order to look thinner if that's the only reason you want to lose weight.

However, it's possible you're built kind of like me... I weighed 180 through my teens (granted, I'm 5'10) and I would say I was lean at the time. I gain my weight in my thighs and bum and breasts, and have a light coating everywhere else like a swimmer (with broad shoulders to match)... If you are similar in shape, then it's possible you hide fat very well... which can look good, but isn't necessary a good thing if it makes you complacent about gaining weight (like me!).

Anyway, examine the reasons you want to lose weight. BMI is not a good indicator of health in people who have a lot of muscle mass, so if health is your aim, I would look in the direction of body fat measurements. But if it's for aesthetic reasons, yeah, you might have to lose some muscle, in which case I would suggest using lighter weights, focussing on the areas you want to sculpt, and maybe finding a personal trainer to help you with that (even just for one session to get you started).
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

do you have a doctor who is aware of your knee issues? It may be best to discuss treatment options/lifestyle changes with him/her so that you'll have a better idea of what really needs to happen in order for your knee to improve. Also, since there's a medical need, it's possible you could get recommended to a nutritionist to assist you, if you have insurance.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote