Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 293/253/170

Height: 5'3"

Default Had WLS and now Regrets

I'm hoping this forum can help change my negative thoughts about having WLS. It may simply be the way my doctor office has treated me when I have problems that has me at this point. So far I always feel like crap and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I had my surgery on 10/14/14 and had some complications because two of my incisions got infected. I had to pack them - and boy it was painful in the beginning. They healed pretty quickly thank goodness but I was already in regret mood because it was scary.

Now I'm struggling with eating - not because I want to eat everything under the sun but because everything I eat makes doesn't seem to digest. Even water. Whenever I eat I feel ok for a hot second.. then I get nausea and then it feels like a brick is in the bottom of my stomach. It's all down hill from there. I'm usually pretty much sick for the rest of the day and forcing myself to eat while feeling sick.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. But I don't have the support from my doctor office like I need. They keep saying its all mental but its not. Any suggestions or help?
SkinnyThighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #2  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

Unhappy

If your Dr is not concerned about the welfare of a patient after major surgery (regardless of whether he did the actual surgery or not) then you need to find a new Dr. One who actually listens to you and cares about helping you. There are many things that can go wrong even in minor surgery. Unfortunately, there are many tragic stories about WLS. My Aunt was one of them. Her surgery was fatal. You need to find a Dr that will double-check EVERYTHING to make sure your surgery was done correctly and find why you're so sick when you eat. You can't live the rest of your life getting sick everytime you eat. I really hope things improve for you.
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I agree with Jesslan, find another doctor right away and get the support you need! Sending you strength through this hard time!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 11-11-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

With all respect to Mrs. Snark and Jesslan Rose [and sympathies for the loss of her aunt], for right now - less than a month after surgery, this is still a SURGICAL issue. VERY few surgeons will take on another surgeon's patient at this early stage.

OK. now Ms Skinny. Let's chat a little. which surgery did you have? it sounds like gastric bypass, but i'm not sure.

What sorts of things does the surgeon say you should be eating? I'm thinking you're in the 'cautious experimental phase with protein drinks' area. So, for me, that would include yogurt, eggs [even though i could not keep down a scrambled egg for nearly 2 years], thinly sliced deli meats, cheese.

What's the first thing you consume in the morning? is your surgeon one of these guys who recommends mashed potatoes and oatmeal? if so, and you had the gastric bypass DO NOT EAT THEM. they have way too many carbs for you at this point.

Tell us what you're trying to eat, and when it's OK and when it's not, and we'll be better able to help. For example, starting the morning with tea and a protein drink worked great for me - ''breakfast' was a couple of hours later. and that's ok. there's no point in even attempting to eat three meals a day plus two snacks right now with the bypass [if that's what you had. you physically CANNOT hold that volume of food.

and remember - the first three months ARE THE HARDEST. really, really hard. but you'll get through them - the question is how it affects your attitude and your ability to cope.

so, talk to us... let us know a few more details.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I understand what you're saying, Jiffypop, thanks for being here to answer questions! But I do hope she can get the medical support she needs, as well!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

One month out is a very hard place to be. It does get easier, you learn your new stomach better and you start feeling like yourself again soon. So, know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, despite how you're feeling now.

Can you go back to stage one and revert to full liquids? My doctor had me on protein shakes for 2 weeks and then very very soft foods (yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, etc) for two weeks. If food became an issue, the advice was to go back to protein shakes until your stomach seemed to handle it better.

What are you eating right now? Are you chewing well (my biggest downfall, always)? Are you weighing your portions and not pushing past that 2 ounces?

If your stomach is being really sensitive, I suggest the Isopure pre-made protein drinks. They arent any thicker than water, but they have 40 grams of protein each...you get the protein you need without irritating the stomach as much.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

what ducky said. Something happened to me at about 4 weeks - it was like a light switch turned on - and i COULD NOT keep food down. EVERYTHING irritated it. The surgeon said that some people simply get a twitchy tummy [his words] and that it would stop in about 6 weeks. 6 WEEKS?????? good grief.

So, i made sure I got my protein drinks and water in, and did my best with the rest of the stuff, and the 6 weeks past. and then one day - it stopped! oh don't get me wrong, if i didn't chew something well enough or ate unwisely, or something, it happened, but it was MUCH easier
Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #8  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Just a quick question...I'm having surgery in a week...when y'all talk about not being able to keep various foods down or having a twitchy stomach....I was just wondering if you have enough time to get to the bathroom...or if you have to keep a bucket next to you (while you're recuperating at home). In other words, how much warning do you typically get?
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

did we scare you? sorry - we didn't mean to! Unless your bathroom is three flights upstairs, you'll have plenty of notice. Usually. Now, this applies to my experience with the gastric bypass. Sleeve, DS, lapband are a bit different.

Pay attention to each mouthful - put your fork or spoon down, and let the bite you just took 'hit bottom.' then ask yourself how it feels. if it's ok. keep eating. if you're getting uncomfortable - pressure, grumbly tummy, whatever. take a break.

you might feel some pressure, or some reflux. I usually give it a few minutes to see it it'll settle/stop. sometimes it does - sometimes it doesn't. sometimes the pressure increases. Start making your move. you don't have to run, but ....

if you start to salivate uncontrollably, there is no going back. find the bathroom.

Having said that, there are OCCASIONAL TIMES when something goes down and immediately wants to come up. I let it. other people fight it.

but it DOES get better. I'm having a rough time right now only because i have a big ulcer with a severe restriction - sometimes water gets stuck. It's getting better, but geeeeeeezzzzzz. this isn't easy!!!!