Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #1  

Default I can't get anything done!

i'm depressed again. working hard to get better. but seems i'm spiralling into procrastination.
please help with ideas, advice on how to help with getting things done such as :
-writing cv for a new job
-moving pic files from my phone to pc
-cleaning my 36 sqf room which is currently loaded with clutter making me feel so overwhelmed

all i want to do after getting back from work is laying down in bed,browsing or watching TV & eating non stop
i also lay down a lot on the weekends with food & snacks
please help i want to change my life
lira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #2  

today i take st john's wort & l carnitine supplement
i feel better & more energy
i am starting to get things done..
step by step
on the way home from work now, commuting
it's raining hard outside & i wish i'm already home laying in bed
Old 11-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

St. John's Wort really helped me the last time I was depressed, although it's slow acting - it takes about three weeks of taking it consistently before results start to show (in my experience but also I'm pretty sure this is how it works). So it's possible you're feeling a bit better on your own which is a good.

Procrastination is tough. When I was depressed that was a big issue for me - I would sit in front of my computer for hours just staring at my homework assignments from school, but unable to actually work on them. It wouldn't even matter to me that I wasn't doing anything, just sitting there staring at the screen.

I think it's really hard to give advice about depression, because for me it's been just something I had to get through. I had to give it time. I did go see counselors and a psychologist, and talked out my issues, but for me I think those were only helpful in the long-term. There wasn't a way for me to "pull myself out of it" or "fix myself."

What I can say is: it does get better. Enjoy the good days when they come around. Do your best on the bad days, and if you find something "healthy" that you can do, then do it when you can.

For a summer while I was depressed, I hiked a trail near my house every day. It might sound weird to some people, but most days it meant nothing to me, and some days - especially a few early mornings where the air was so cold it burned my lungs - I remember really feeling something good. I don't know what it was, but it helped.

Talking helps, too - but especially in a form where you can really say what you want to. I don't think it's as easy now to find someone to talk to in a chat room (chat rooms seem to have gone by the wayside now, which I think is a bit unfortunate)... but something along those lines - maybe a forum that's geared that way? - might be helpful. Someplace you can talk 1-on-1 to someone and just really share how you're feeling, but where you can feel safe (that's why I like online - the anonymity feels safe).

I think I can offer one piece of advice about getting things done, actually: Don't think about it as getting things done. Depression isn't the same thing as laziness, so I know your issue isn't laziness. For you it may be you're having trouble finding meaning in things - I think that may be the best description of how I felt (if that counts as a feeling).

So don't look for meaning. Just pick an item up off the floor and put it away. Then do it again. It's a task, and nothing more than that. Your room might get clean, and it might not. But if it feels like picking up that item doesn't matter, then just agree with yourself. Say "Sure, it doesn't matter if I pick up that item and put it away or not. But that also means there's no reason not to do it."

Try it in a mindless way, and see how that goes.

Best wishes and cyber-hugs from me to you.
You'll be okay.

Last edited by faiora; 11-10-2014 at 02:19 PM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #4  

faiora
thank you so much for listening
i will try my best to get through this
and will post day to day updates about my situation
*hugs*
Old 12-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #5  

updates on me
on the weekend i bought container boxes to tidy up my room
today after work will remove stuff & put them into boxes
work kinda sucks, office politics in full gear
i hope everything gets better
Old 12-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Hey, that's great
I love organizing.

And I hear you about office politics. I've given up on worrying about stepping on toes, because it's just so gosh-darn difficult not to. I just stomp unabashedly through. I know of two people in the building who don't like talking to me because of it, but hey, I get the job done and they don't.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #7  

faiora
yea indeed office politic sucks
i just got back from a colleague wedding
and two ex co workers (they already quit) were there, they both dislike me..LOL!
going to the wedding was a chore for me..thank God I did the preparation in advance so it doesn't feel overwhelming..
i ordered a plus size cocktail dress, stockings & went to a hairsalon to do my hair
also will tidy my room as well
babysteps..