Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #1  

Default Want to improve my life!

Hi everyone! I stumbled upon this forum and see there is lots of great information and support here. Looks like a good place for me.

I want and need to lose a lot of weight. I've done it before (but unfortunately gained a lot back when the next stressful time in my life happened), but this time seems more difficult. I am 54, have had a lot of orthopedic issues that cropped up when I turned 50. I was fine and dandy until the summer I turned 50, and then my body started falling apart. I've heard of this happening to other people, but I never thought it would happen to me. I had been so healthy and active all my life, even though I've been overweight for most of it.

I have a lot of spinal arthritis, some residual post surgical scar tissue tightness kind of stuff from having both my hips replaced, permanent leg weakness from some tendon releases, Achilles tendon degeneration and small tearing, etc and that makes it very difficult for me to exercise without screwing up something in the process. I do get quite a bit of daily exercise caring for my horses, which I have not been able to ride in over 3 years because of all the ortho stuff and the climbing weight. Sometimes I wonder why I still have them, but they do keep me going and keep me active. Otherwise, I would probably just hibernate inside all the time. I have a sedentary job, which is both a blessing and a curse. I don't think I could handle a more strenuous job, but at the same time a sedentary job doesn't help matters at all. Oh well, we have to deal with the hand we are dealt, right?

I am rather addicted to food. Been that way since I was a kid. I love the sight, smell, texture, and taste of many different foods. It's my drug of choice when I'm feeling stressed, happy, depressed, and anxious. My biggest problems: I often eat when I'm not hungry and I eat too much. I know my eating is the reason why I am so heavy--simple as that. It sometimes seems so crazy to me that I am so capable in most areas of my life and so independent, yet food has this hold on me and I depend on it so much.

I've gotten to the point where I get out of breath doing simple things, don't even feel like moving out of my chair at work or home many times, and everything hurts even taking into consideration my ortho problems. I know I would still have aches and pains if thinner, but I doubt it would be as bad.

I need some major motivation and encouragement. One of the big problems I have is preparing good, healthful food. I tend to grab whatever is easiest. I'm thinking about buying more prepared food like Lean Cuisine and such just so I will grab one of those instead of a big spoon of peanut butter and a handful of chocolate chips when I get hungry. I'm not good at preparing fruit/veggies--washing/chopping, dealing with the mess, etc, so I'm thinking about buying fruit and veggie platters and eating off them so I will eat more produce. More expensive than buying everything separately and preparing it myself, but I know I will be more likely to eat it if it's easy. And, that's the most important thing right now. I need to give myself permission to invest in my health.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I'd love to hear from you.

newlife2 is offline   Reply With Quote