Old 11-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Default trying something different

Hi Ladies,

I read a lot but don't post much. I've accomplished a few things in my life but weight loss has never been one of those things. I've stayed within the same 20 lbs for the last 20 years. I thought I'd tried everything, but calorie counting was my diet of choice.

Inspired by a friend, I very, very reluctantly tried Medifast on October 1. I could not stomach most of the food but found I could eat the pancakes and brownies. Additionally, I found a couple of substitutions that were similar to the nutrition stats of MF and I've used them as well.

So, I committed only for one day at a time. Somehow I made it through an entire month fueled by the fact that I did not feel hungry and I saw such drastic loss. As of November 1, I have lost 16 lbs.

I am by no means at any sort of goal. I have so much more to lose. So success is still elusive. But, for the first time in my life, I feel *I* am in control of my success. I don't like the diet. I'm bored with the food. But, I am losing. I'm NOT hungry. I am learning portion control. I am plodding along. I CAN do this diet. I can reach my goal if I continue staying "on plan."

I am NOT recommending or endorsing Medifast. I guess I'm suggesting that you might consider trying something new. Something you had resisted in the past? Something you think wouldn't work for you?

I really hope this doesn't come across as preachy. I have just struggled for so long. I never thought a "low carb" diet would work for me. But, so far, it has and I wanted to share with the hope that someone might look at a different plan with new eyes.

Best wishes to us all,

Last edited by beth4365; 11-02-2014 at 10:39 AM.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Congratulations Beth! How exciting! You're kicking butt, whoo hoo!

I think it is great you are sharing your success! Hopefully, as you continue to lose you will be able to continue modifying and tweaking your approach until your plan is something you feel you can live with long-term (not something that bores you -- or at least doesn't bore you TOO much!)

Since we all have to figure out how to make our extra weight stay off long-term, I think it is always good to keep an open mind AND know ourselves. You're so right!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, Mrs. Snark, I appreciate your response. I realize what I'm doing is short term. I'm hoping I will deal better in the future with portion control and choosing real food when it comes time again.

I hope it's also alright to take this opportunity to thank you for all you've contributed to this site for the last several years. I've read you off and on all the way back to Tyler Durden days. I love your hair and think that what you do with it (bangs or not) is just fine. And I've always kinda wished we were friends in real life because you're just that cool! *blush*

Anyway, thank you for responding and I hope you're feeling better now!

Last edited by beth4365; 11-03-2014 at 10:03 PM.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Congratulations Beth! You know we all have different things that work for us..people are too quick to tell us what is healthy, what will work and what won't but at the end of the day if you feel you are in control and what you are doing is working I say MORE POWER TO YOU GIRLFRIEND!!!!
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Beth -- you're too sweet! As you appear to have a very high tolerance for Crazy and for Bad Hair, I'm sure we *would* be friends in RL if we knew each other, because I have lots and lots of both! (And if by any chance you live in my neighborhood, come on over, we can go kayaking!)
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote