Old 11-01-2014, 01:03 AM   #1  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Default November Thankfulness - The Worldly Chicks Keep Truckin' Along

Kickin' it in November

Welcome ladies as we roll the calendar to a new month. For most of us here in the States, November kicks off the holiday season with Thanksgiving. Although we have had our bumps in life, we also have been fortunate to share friendship, love, advice and rants amongst each other. As we work on our personal goals for the month, let's stop and remember (often would be good) the blessings and good things in our lives. It truly makes for a positive attitude and no one likes a crabby Worldly Chick
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:39 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

Well here we are again at a new month. This year sure is flying quickly as Shad said the other day. I have to admit I was a slug yesterday. DH too - we were both a bit under the weather with a tummy bug. Spent a lot of time on the computer - I'm glad that DH is taking some classes this year - I think it helps with the overall brain health and he is learning some new techniques for the photography he loves. He even signed us up to a website - Luminosity - which gives you brain game challenges. Some of them are tough too. We both just took it easy today - it was nice. Starting on the first though I have to get back on the wagon. I have let my food slide, not eating terribly but I have not been eating balanced meals like I should and often the fruit I buy at the beginning of the week with good intentions has been going out with the trash at the end of the week. And I need to start getting some regular exercise too. I got down on the ground to see if the cat was hiding under the bed (she was) and it was tough getting back up - tough getting down too if I must admit. So even little things like working on that and my balance are small tasks I can focus on. And I think I'd like to decorate a bit more for next month's holiday (when are we allowed to use the C word???? )

Dee - thank you for your kind words. I was not a trooper through the shingles - I was most grateful to have a very strong immune system so what I had was an amazingly mild case with only a few symptoms. Believe me, if I was in the horrid pain that I hear is typical, DH would have locked me in one of the out buildings fitting of the raging complaining beast that I would have become! I live in a small town in far northern Wisconsin - retired here 3 years ago. We moved here from 8 years in Memphis where I took a job transfer out of my hometown of Chicago. It was nice to have a 6 week winter season but the excessive heat and humidity of the warmer weather down south (not to mention 2 tornado seasons) had me running back up north again. I prefer the chill to the heat, especially now when I don't have to commute in it. YOU certainly sound like one busy woman - painting porches and making lampshades. Post some pictures if you can of the lampshades - they sound quite pretty. There are certainly no ladies of leisure on this thread! Interesting that you post about the Test Kitchen Cookbooks - I am on the wait list for the latest one at the library. I don't mind reading / story books on the Kindle but how to stuff I prefer in print.

Ceejay - let your friend turn the air on for the night (stealing her blanket was a good idea ) and then just get up first and turn the heat up and jump back in bed for a few minutes. DH likes it cold so I give him the light blanket and I take the warmer comforter and we compromise on the thermostat. I also give him the side of the bed closest to the blower I hate getting up and going into an icy cold bathroom to take a shower. I hope the rest of your trip is enjoyable. Sometimes it's best to get your own room...

Shad - how disappointing to think you'd get a bit of rain just to have it sunny up. A good bit of rain smells nice and tamps the dust down a bit. Looks like a hot summer ahead, eh? Are your orchids in hanging pots? Did Miss Sunday get a clean bill of health at the vet? Meant to ask if the good Miss S is talking yet? Does she have a pet name for you?

Did you ladies get much in the way of trick or treaters? We got nothing as expected. And this was the first year ever that I didn't eat a single piece of Halloween candy. There is something to be said for not handing out candy

Guess that's enough of a post for now. I just came in to set up the new thread. Have a good night all and wake up ready to set some new goals and ambitions for the month. Goodnight all.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Evening all,

Thanks for setting up the thread Happy. My goal last month was to take off another 2kgs (4.5lbs). I didn't achieve it, indeed I put on .6kg or just over a pound. Grrrr. Do better this month, although I do have to say that I am down 3.5Kg from when I came back from NZ in late July so that is an achievement. You'd think the heat would melt some of it off but it ain't.

Happy - yes my orchids - or at least most of them are in hanging pots. At the moment they are hanging on the ground until I get to put up some more hooks for them to hang on. Little Miss S does talk - a lot. She has a good grasp of the principles of speech and puts sentences together well. Funny story about her. It was the anniversary of the death of M's mum last week and on the day they went to visit the grave of Miss S's Nonna and Nonno. When it was time to leave, M said to Miss S - time to go. Give Nonna and Nonno a kiss before we leave. Dutifully little Miss S gave the photos on the headstone a kiss and then went to the next headstone and gave the photos there a kiss and then to the next one and the next one giving each photo a kiss. Apparently she moved so fast that B and M were chasing the two year old around the cemetery.

Dee - Winter here is delightful. You wouldn't want to be here in the summer because it is hot and humid. Winter is perfect, warm days Average temps around 24C - 28C (78F to 86C more or less), cool nights, blue skies, no rain, little wind and no bugs. Even the grass stops growing. My winter wardrobe consists of my summer clothes and a jacket.
Yes I have seen snow, played in it, driven in it, frozen the wine in it etc. I am actually a New Zealander. We get snow there in the winter although not as much as they do in the Happy's Northwoods.

Laura - glad you are going to try and see our national game. Hope you can get to watch the Haka at the beginning. It's a cultural thing.

Susie - my sympathies to DH. Certainly hope he comes right soon. No wonder he feels somewhat depressed. Good weightloss for him tho'

There isn't much worthwatching on tv tonight. Maybe I should just make a cup of tea, put myself to bed with my book. Anyway I have to be up early tomorrow to watch the game so an early night won't hurt.

Oh yes and unofficially I have a new job. More details as they come to hand but at the moment it is Melbourne for 3 or 4 days a week for a couple of months. Suits me fine.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #4  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Happy ~ We had 8 kids come to our door, Not all at once, First there was 3 kids and then the 2nd was another 3 and then the last was 2 kids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nov 1st is starting out good. I went to sleep at 9 pm last night and I woke up at mid-night and I've been up ever since. Chances are I'll take a nap later on today. Its 6:22 a.m. right now. I was gonna go outside this morning and walk but its really cold outside this morning so I might work out to my dvd instead. I need to take a shower today,Clean my room and the bathroom and thoses are my only plans for today
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy
Funny thing about my friend and the air conditioner. She wouldn't admit it but she was covered up from head to toe until I said I cant take it any more, I'm frozen. She said for me to turn the heat on. She's got it on 64 but at least I have some heat.

More later.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #6  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

hmmm, don't know about trick or treaters at house. We went to sissy's to go with the babes. I had a hippy (Ainsley), a fireman (Jacob) and the cutes lil pumpkin ever (Royce). Jacob really got into to it this year. Running down the sidewalk and up to each house. Always a big, loud Thank you to the treat givers and if he forgot at the door while running down their yard he yelled over his shoulder, "Thanks Guys", I about cracked in laughter and rain and cold. OMG bout froze. But so worth it.

Today was errands and running. Believe it or not I found at Aldi's a Planes Fire and Rescue tend and a Cars lamp for Jacob for Christmas and only spent 22 bucks. What a steal and will make him a happy camper at Christmas. I know SHAD stop with the C word. I even got some stocking stuffers. and Hallmark has me entertain with new movies for C and the usual oldies. I am loving it so when I cannot sleep at night I have something to watch besides Frazier and Golden Girls. Happy time of year.

Not much else to report, have a marvy weekend/night.

Loves and Hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #7  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Planes Fire and Rescue TENT
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #8  

Annie
Getting a head start on "C" presents is great. I don't buy any more for the sister's grand kids.

------
Had a good day with the uncles. I had a text earlier from a cousin to have me check on her mother and sister. She told me to go by and see them as she was coming to take them back to Texas with her for awhile. So my friend, aunt and I did. I am back on speaking terms with negative Nancy aunt. She did a really good job talking to them. And we did some errands for them.
I've been invited to my cousin's daughter's birthday lunch tomorrow at negative Nancy's. My cousin's daughter saw my truck and came running. I told her I would be there tomorrow.
So far my week end has been good except for the "weather" conditions in the hotel room.
This hotel has a fitness center so I'm going to use it. It's a couple of doors down the hall.

Last edited by ceejay52; 11-01-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #9  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Evening all,

Been a long hot day but thankfully the heat has been turned down (if the BOM is to be believed, it will be a much cooler week). If we can't have rain, then cooler is nice.

Ceejay - good onya for using the fitness centre. If they give you one, why not use it - right?. Nice to see some of the family again - even negative Nancy. Have fun at the birthday lunch.

Annie - sounds like you are organised with the sales and getting of presents.

Not much to report around here. I've dug up one of the vege beds, pulled out the lettuces and bean and refertilised it, put in water crystals and compost and put in one row each of carrots and butter beans. We'll see how they go and then plant some more. Sincerely hope those water crystals work since the earth was really dry despite the water I have lavished on it. The corn will be ready probably by the end of next week or the week after and I am picking some of the cherry tomatoes. It's like a jungle in the tomato patch, I have to stick my head in the jungle to find the red bits. Some of the bigger tomatoes should start to ripen in the next couple of weeks. I'm getting another flush of snow peas but the others seem to be finished. They can come out shortly.

I watched the game from Chicago this morning. Enjoyed it. I didn't realise your guys are not in the professional ranks. It shows that they don't play together regularly - however they are to be commended if in this day and age they have jobs and play for the enjoyment of the game. That's dedication.

Anyway, better go, finish my wine and think about putting myself to bed - there isn't much on tv tonight. All those channels all full of cr*p.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #10  
Turning Into A New Woman

Woke up at 5:30 a.m. Wanted to get up at 5:00 a.m. but I didnt hear my alarm go off which is crazy cause its right by my ear, Oh well. Anyway I'm currently eating breakfast and watching t.v. Clyde has already been outside and brought back in cause its cold outside. Its definitely feeling like fall now. Anyway today I still have to clean my room,clean the bathroom and of course go for my after dinner walk outside.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #11  
Choose your hard

Morning all,

Yesterday was a good day. I started out flitting from one task to the other but then caught focus and made myself work on one thing at a time. I did check several things off the list and it's starting to look better around here. I tried to go to bed last night and both cats were fully stretched across my bed. Meadow tends to sleep across the foot of the bed until I come in for the night and Nina was stretched out as much as she could stretch across the middle of the bed, just because Meadow was there (Nina is a little ) So I just went on the couch. Woke up about an hour later and Meadow got down so I picked up "sack of cement" Nina who falls into a dead sleep - I swear she is the feline version of me and moved her to the end of the bed and took my bed back. It's another sunny but rather cool day - the nightly temps are hitting the teens already. I think DH is going to finish some yard work today, I will continue with the house stuff. I bought a new portable electric heater for the basement hobby room and it pushes warm air out nicely so I might be able to use it to finish up some going through boxes in the 3rd garage bay. Would be nice to have that done with and reclaim that area as an exercise room like I intended. One day. I'm trying to recommit to better eating and exercise and could not find my bookmark to MyFitnessPal. Took me about 15 minutes to remember the name of it. My eating started out decent enough yesterday but by the end of the day I was tired and it was late so we just got a pizza. So I need to realize that lack of planning is a bad trigger and work around it. I also need to work on cleaning out my freezer because I ordered a half a pig from the farm I get beef from at the farmer's market and I think that will be ready next month. At the moment my freezer is jammed downstairs and the upstairs one has a bit of room but only because I cleaned it last week. I am realizing the folly of loading things up only to lose them to freezer burn if I don't stay on top of things. I'm such a bad girl. need to mend my evil ways

Terra why are you getting up at 5am on a weekend????? And it's cold outside too. Brrrrrrrr. I hate that it's going to get dark an hour earlier now. Sounds like it was a quiet Halloween all over for everyone this year.

Shad - I was just commenting yesterday about all these cable channels on tv and nothing to watch. Even the movies they offer are lame. Let me know how your carrots turn out. I was surprised to find that they like cooler weather better - supposedly the colder the weather, the sweeter they are although I planted some plants in a special pot with lots of sand in it and they did ok over the summer. I'm not so sure the water crystals work either - I used them in some coconut grass baskets we had on the pool fence down south because the baskets dried out 20 minutes after I watered them. I didn't think they made a difference nor did the special soil that was supposed to hold 30 percent more water than regular soil. Cute story about Miss S giving out kisses at the cemetery. I'm sure a few random strangers appreciated a little attention Good going on landing another assignment. I assume you'll be rooming there again? Life in a suitcase.

Ceejay - how did you like the fitness center? The hotels are doing better at providing equipment based I guess on customer requests. Since it's there, why not try it out? Glad you had an enjoyable visit with the family.

Annie - so nice that Jacob said thank you to everyone while he was out. For that reason I like the tiny tots much more than the big kids who lose their manners. Good job on the bargain toys - keep an eye out where ever you go as now is the time to shop.

Hellos to the rest of the chicks. Time to get busy again.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #12  

Afternoon all.

Friday we had more kids braving the weather to TorT than i thought we would. They are so cute . We used less than a bag of 95 pcs of candy & i hope we can return the other (unopened) bag. Bf & i watched my Peanuts dvd of The Great Pumpkin. Dog walk was windy but of course doggy loved it.

Saturday i was very tempted to skip jazzercise class cuz i wad so comfy in bed, but was glad I went. My back pain has eased up a LOT the past week - no tenderness to speak of now. Yay.

I did some laundry & purged my collection of clipped recipes a bit. Still not done with that but some progress was made. Nice dog walk yesterday - sunny & warmer & not wildly windy like Friday.

Dinner with friends last night was good. The bar with costume contest was...interesting. Some good people watching, but loud, appallingly bad dance/club music was not my thing. I like to have conversations when i get together with friends. Still, we stayed late until the contest winner was announced (Shrek).

Lazy morning & now we're going to vote early.

Will catch up on personals later. TTFN!

Last edited by Laura705; 11-02-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #13  

Happy
The fitness room at the hotel was good. 2 ellipticals, 2 treadmills, and a bike. And it was only 2 doors down from the room. I walked for 20 minutes or almost 1 mile. Proud of myself. Good for you in getting more stuff done in the house. I love my portable space heater. You may have to get a third freezer.

Laura
Sounds like you had a good week end. The warm bed would be more enticing to me instead of exercising. Good for you in going. Today would have been a perfect day to be outside

Shad
What are water crystals? A 2 month worth of work won't be to bad, hopefully.

Terra
Are you getting enough sleep? Sounds like you are waking up to early.

Susie
How are things going?
------
I'm home now in my warm apartment. I think I left my pedometer at the hotel but not upset by it. Need to text my friend to see if she made back to her home.
My cousin will have a job when she gets to her mom's this week end. Things are in turmoil and we are caught in the middle of it. My hands are tied. My aunt called me about some more things that she had learned tonight from some friends at church. Oh my!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #14  
Turning Into A New Woman

Happy ~ I dont know why I get up so early. Yeah I dont like that its gonna get dark earlier now too. Yeah thats true it seems as though everyone had a quite Halloween.

CJ ~ Yeah I'm getting enough sleep, Thanks for asking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up at 4:00 a.m. I didnt plan to get up until 7:30 this morning but its okay. I'm currently eating breakfast and I already let Clyde outside. I still need get Clyde some fresh food though, He already has fresh water. Anyway its now 5:04 a.m. I finally got the bathroom and my room cleaned yesterday. Today my only plans are to go pay the mortgage and maybe go shopping but if we dont go shopping today we'll go tomorrow after mom's gets home from work. I forgot to tell everyone that today is my mom's first day as the New GM of the store she worked at for 9 years now. Everyone is very proud of her. Anyway I hope everyone has a wonderful day today.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #15  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies,

Sorry to have been away over the weekend. One of my dearest friends was in town for the weekend (Friday morning through Sunday afternoon). Between spending lots of time with her and working in gym workouts in the early mornings, I didn't even get on a computer.

Today and tomorrow will be busy at work as I have to totally revamp our internal (intranet) site by Wednesday morning!

Love and hugs,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote