Old 10-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: CW- 143 and GW - 120

Height: 5.5

Question Addicted

I have decided that i am totally addicted to sugar.

I am sitting here craving sugar. I cannot focus on my work because all I can think of is the candy bar in my bag.

Of course the candy bar is not mine. So I will NOT give in and eat it.

How do you guys overcome your cravings/ food addictions? Some days it feels like I need rehab. lol
moop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #2  

Cold turkey! I have fought sugar addiction over the years. I get off it and then I think, ONE cookie wont hurt me...and then I'm hooked again.

When I am "detoxing", what has worked for me is eating meats, veggies, lower sugar fruits (fruits with lower GI index I guess like berries) but I ALWAYS pair them with a protein, ALWAYS. peanut butter (no sugar added) or cheese or nuts.

As for carbs, I can eat a small amount of whole carbs, like quinoa, or oatmeal. But it has to be paired with a protein as well.

I eat nothing processed mainly because its like everything has sugar in it!! Within about 3-4 days the cravings subside and by a week I feel great. No cravings, I could walk through a field of cookie and cakes and not even blink an eye.

But then there's always some reason I eat it again. Because living in this world, its everywhere. And I tell myself, I am not going to go the rest of my life and never have another cookie or ice cream. And of course that kicks off the cravings again. Sometimes I'm really good about getting right back to it, and other times (like now) I go months not clean.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #3  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I am totally addicted to sugar as well. And I've read that science has proven that sugar is as addictive as even the most addictive drugs.

I'm trying to lose weight so that I can have weight loss surgery next month...my insurance and surgeon require that patients a certain amount of weight (in my case 20 lbs) prior to surgery or the surgery will not be done. But I'm having a helluva time kicking the sugar addiction to the curb.

After surgery, there's a very high probability that eating sugary foods will cause me to feel very ill. So I really need to kick the addiction NOW.

Glamour Girl: Thanks for the great suggestions. 99% of the time when I eat sweets or high GI fruits, I pair them with a protein (usually string cheese).

Anyway, Moop, know that you're not alone....many of us are addicted to sugar. I wish there was rehab for sugar addiction.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #4  

Unfortunately, the only way to get past it is cold turkey and time. I find it takes about 2 weeks of no sugar before you aren't craving it so it does take time.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/294/160

Height: 170 cm

Sugar addiction is an awful one to get over! It does happen, but you have to be really careful and diligent. I think about 2 weeks sounds right, in relation to the intense cravings. Overcoming those cravings are tough, but work on little ways to get through. Chew sugar free gum, keep little snacks (carrots or grapes, etc) handy at all times. I used to drink a glass of water every time I thought the craving was just TOO strong.

OH! Brush your teeth! Use mouthwash (I keep a small bottle in my purse). I always found it much easier to go without something I shouldn't have if my teeth were freshly brushed.

I have other addiction issues (sour cream. Seriously. Omg. I *cannot* go without it) that I find is actually harder to kick than the sugar was!
Bardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: CW- 143 and GW - 120

Height: 5.5

Thank you everyone! i find your replies very helpful and motivating. good luck in your own goals to being healthy. Its really good to know that I have you guys as support. Thank you xxx. and we will get healthy one step at a time
moop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:23 AM   #7  

Actually the latest study said that its not so much that we are addicted to sugar but we are just addicted to eating in general!

But, obviously this can manifest itself in an addiction to sugar, like it does on us. Oh, I was so thin and beautiful this year, but then I started going back to my bad diet after my holidays. Back to the yoyo. I am very out of shape right now.

And I am totally addicted to sugar. In fact, I tend to spend some nights just browsing delicious food blogs! Frequently bakery blogs.

ARGH! Its so tough. The most dangerous part is like the hour before sleep. 90% of the time that is when I binge. You can eat a lot of calories in 15 mins, lol.

But I find a small glass of milk at night can really help to kill my hunger pangs. I haven't been doing it lately because, I am trying to enter ketosis.

Last edited by GreenRobot; 12-10-2014 at 03:25 AM.
GreenRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Cold turkey is the way to go, no matter how painful. I found things like sugar free candy and gum helped at the start. After about 3 weeks or so I realized my cravings were gone. Not only can I pass the candy aisle without temptation, I can even watch my roommate eat my favorite chocolate without the slightest urge to have some. For someone who needed that chocolate multiple times a day, that is a huge accomplishment. You can do it. It is totally worth it!
AM02135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #9  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

I think the one for me is actually butter. I do love my sugary treats... But butter gets me (or in my case margarine cause I'm too cheap for real butter).

Cheese was hard for awhile... But then I did something crazy. I had it every day and then I actually got tired of it. Don't think butter will be like that though.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote