General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #1  

Default Shakiness / raging hunger following sudden stress?

I'm not talking about just stress eating, I mean you are faced with an unexpected sudden stress that would cause an adrenaline release, rapid heart rate and you are afraid....then when you "come down" you are shaking and insanely hungry.

We were heading home just now, and it looked like it was going to storm. Well, in all my years, and we get some bad storms, I have never gotten caught in such a bad storm, with frequent grounding lightening, blinding rain, then big hail, and flash flooding. I was minutes from home with the kids in the van. I couldn't see enough to drive. So I pulled onto a side street. Many other people were pulling over. It hailed like I have never seen for about 10 mins, and I was worrying the hail would start coming down large enough to be really dangerous even though we were in the car. It switched back to rain, so I tried to drive again, but the flooding, wow it really does happen within seconds. People in smaller cars were unable to drive. I was 2 blocks from home, and trying to get 2 blocks over. I was really scared as we are near waterways that we were going to get a flash flood and get caught in it. At this point the side streets had flooded. They were underwater. With in a minute or so, they went from being a safe place to pull over to worse that the main road which was more elevated. I did make it home and we sat in the car until the rain lightened up enough to go in.

And within about 5 minutes of getting in I was shaking, and SO HUNGRY. I just ate 2, yes 2 PB & J sandwiches, a banana and a granola bar. I felt like I needed to eat sugar. Now I've heard that there is a reason behind this, that drop in blood sugar after stress. But I didn't think I was that stressed driving home and I've never had it happen before. It was a really weird feeling!!

Anyone ever have this happen?
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #2  

And now I'm starting to feel sick to my stomach from eating all that
Old 10-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #3  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

You're preggers, stuff gets wonky ... when I was pg my fight or flight response was through the roof, my (admittedly already normally high) anxiety levels were through the roof. Sky high hormone levels across the board can create unexpected imbalances.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I've had that happen in response to long term stresses lasting more than a day and partly because I don't eat when that stressed out...so once the stress is over I then start eating like crazy for a day or two

for example, last winter when we lost my brother in law unexpectedly, I barely ate for a week because of the stresses of the grief, traveling, funeral arrangements etc....once i was home again, i almost immediately started eating...it didn't turn into a binge, but just a crazy urge to feed myself once things settled down
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #5  

I wanted to come back to say that it was on the news that the area I was driving in had a flash flood and actually a father and his kids had to be rescued from their car!! Very scary to think that could have been us.

Alaskanlaughter, I am very sorry to hear about your brother. I have never experienced that type of sudden loss, so I cannot pretend to understand what you went through.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

flash floods sounds really scary!! i've seen it on the news but we don't have that up here

however i've had some scary driving situations going through the mountain passes up north - the scariest being driving through a 3000 foot elevation pass in massive fog, where you couldn't see one yellow dash to the next on the highway and couldn't pull over because there was a cliff drop off with no guardrail and no pull offs....took us an hour to navigate through the clouds in what should have been a 10 minute drive over the top of the mountain
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote