100 lb. Club - Temptation rears its ugly head

View Full Version : Temptation rears its ugly head

synger
07-31-2003, 11:16 AM
Oh, man. I just looked at the cafeteria selection today and it's one of my FAVES!! It's just not something I can eat as much of as I used to. I'm not sure my Superpowers of PortionEstimation are up to this task:

Southern fried chicken
Dirty mashed potatoes with cracked pepper
Fried green tomatoes

They also have fried okra, but when they have the tomatoes I never get the okra.

So, I have a decision to make:

Go to the cafeteria and get a nice, hearty lunch and enjoy about half of it and throw the rest away. If I do this, lunch will be my big meal of the day and I'll have soup and toast for dinner to compensate.

Go to the cafeteria and get something else and use "Willpower" to make a different selection than what I really want.

Go somewhere else for lunch.

Eat out of my emergency drawer (granola bars, tuna fish, protein powder, Chef Boy R Dee)

/sigh

decisions, decisions....

BA99TJ
07-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Finally - someone who might know - What are dirty mashed potatoes??

synger
07-31-2003, 12:25 PM
Usually "dirty" mashed potatoes are made with unpeeled potatoes. The bits of skin in the resulting dish give it a less-than-white look. (also a cool texture, and lots more vitamins and fiber)

I did a Google search on the term, just for grins. Emeril's recipe uses chicken livers and peeled potatoes. I guess the liver gives it that "dirty" look.

BA99TJ
07-31-2003, 12:34 PM
Ah! that would make sense.

What did you decide to eat? I would not have been able to choose - but I think I would have gone with the cafe and only eating half.

Ruby2000
07-31-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by synger
Go to the cafeteria and get something else and use "Willpower" to make a different selection than what I really want.

Go somewhere else for lunch.

I would go some where else for lunch. LOL, or at least eat the tunafish. :)

But I would recommend to stay away from the cafeteria altogether. Every time I went to the cafeteria with the intention of getting something healthy, I would always end up getting the meal I was trying to avoid. :mad:

synger
07-31-2003, 01:54 PM
Actually, I did a combo of 1 and 2. I went to the cafeteria expecting to get the meal and only eat part of it. But instead I got the vegetarian option: Portobello Mushroom stuffed with Spinach. I figure I can get fried chicken whenever I want to, but seldom does our cafeteria offer this!

The stuffing was reminiscent of creamed spinach, or spinach/artichoke mixture. It had a tangy flavor as if they'd used marinated artichokes, though I couldn't detect artichoke in it. It was very good!

Anyway, of course Fitday doesn't have it in their database, so I looked up some equivalent recipes online and borrowed their nutritional analysis.

If this sounds tasty to you, look at the following recipes:

Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps

http://www.healthwell.com/deliciouskitchen/recipes/stuffedportobellos.cfm?key=29
http://www.startribune.com/stories/438/3745536.html

SuchAPrettyFace
07-31-2003, 02:03 PM
Congrats on making a great choice, synger, that looks absolutely delectable!!!!