Old 10-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #1  
Certified Fat Chick

Angry My experience so far...not sure if on track.

Have been lurking around for a few days but am having a hard timing finding existing answers to my questions. Prepare yourself...this is a long one!

So I'm 2.5 weeks in and have lost almost 18 pounds as of my last weigh in so clearly it's working so far which is great. The shakes and snacks have mostly been good but I've generally lost interest in eating lunch and dinner, mostly due to the quantity of meat and vegetables required. It's become a chore really. Lack of variety I guess, will have to look around here for some new recipes before I snap one day and eat all of the food. Haven't cheated at all as of yet.

Anyway, the main reason I'm posting is trying to understand if I'm getting the proper treatment from my "coach". I use the term loosely...I think "salesperson" would be a better description at this point. My brother and SIL went on the program in the summer which is where I learned of it, and their experience with their clinic was much different.

They got weighed every week with the scale that measures your body makeup (not sure what it's called). I had it the first week but all other weeks are just regular scale weigh-ins until week 4. Is that normal? How would they know if you're losing muscle mass if they only do it every 4th visit?

The food selection has been a big point of contention as well. My bro could mix and match any of the packets to get a variety for the week. I've since understood this isn't really on the up and up and only certain items are allowed for individual sale. So my coach works this way which is totally fine but she refuses to sell the individual ones that way either. So essentially she and IP are forcing me to spend big $$$ upfront in order to get a variety for a week. I know some people are totally happy to eat the exact same thing day after day but I can't (even if it's junk food!). Frankly, I think it's setting people up for failure or just a money grab up front. So her excuse was it was too hard to manage her inventory if she sold individually. I then told her that was her job which she didn't take kindly to. My tolerance for BS has dropped significantly since being on the diet!

My other beef with her is that I chose the clinic because of the pictures on the website. It seemed that she had "been there" before which was appealing to me in finding a coach. Turns out it was just a post pregnancy picture from who knows how many years ago and she only lost 10 pounds on the actual program. Was kind of ticked at that misrepresentation too. Didn't have our initial meeting in her appointment book and a few other things that just aren't making me feel comfortable.

Whew! Just wanted to vent and find out if the food selection, weigh-in part was normal. I'm thinking I may have to part ways with her and just do it on my own. Obviously, I'm liking the results so far so am not ready to totally give up yet.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!
DaCooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi DaCooler, there are lots of different experiences with coaches on this board... Some have had nothing but weigh ins and others get measured every time and do the BCA (body composition analyzer) and have good support with issues they may be having. Once a month is fine for the BCA and really you don't need it, as it's not all that accurate. What REALLY counts is your measurements - you will also be losing weight of course, but re-composition shows best in your measurements. Get your coach to do measurements each time. Mine had a special chart with exact positions on the body so measures could be taken at the same point every time. Also it should be taken by the same person with the same tape. It's unfortunate that the website was a bit deceptive about the photos...
You should also be getting the daily videos from Ideal Protein headquarters on your email. Ask about this - it is included in your sign up price and it is very important as there is lots of good information and encouragement in them. There is also a link on every video so you can comment and ask questions that they get back to within a few days. They answer everyone on the forum and you just have to be a bit patient as there are lots of people linked, of course.

Legally, unless all the nutrition information and ingredients are listed on every packet, they cannot be sold separately. BUT, a way to get around that is if your clinic has a trade basket... People take in packets to trade for what others have brought in so no money changes hands for individual packets. Suggest this to your clinic (mine does it) and it may take a few weeks to get everyone on board and have enough variety to trade. Worth a try though.

We are all here for you anyhow, don't give up on your health journey - lots of experience on this 3FC IP site! Join us every day on the daily chat if you can and share and ask questions if you don't find the answers after a bit of search.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/217/180

Height: 5'6

Canadjineh you receive emails daily from IP? My coach has never once asked for my email? Is this something every clinic does? Or just a few?
danibee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/148/130

Height: 5'6"

My coach does not mix and match either. She would probably say the same thing in terms of the inventory and I could see how that would be confusing. She does however use a body composition tool with us weekly.
dluckylucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #5  
IP Started 9/29/2014

S/C/G: 215/194/155

Height: 5.5

@DaCooler . . .

I haven't had the same level of interaction with my "coach" as others, but have had more than what you are describing. I think I'm ok with the level I've got . . . I can e-mail him and he'll answer me back with solutions or recommendations.

I, too, get daily e-mails from IP. My coach's signature is at the bottom, but clearly it's a pre-programed distribution of videos based on when you started the IP Plan. I can review the videos as I want, but only the ones that have been already sent to me. They usually include a recipe which is geared towards the phase that I'm currently in - right now P1.

Food . . . My coach does sell the individual packets. However, I have to buy 7 individual ones which would be the same cost as buying a single box of 7 meals. I didn't know this until the end of my second week. I do like this way of doing it because it's allowed me to figure out which ones I like and which ones I don't without committing to a product that I don't find tasty. I would definitely discuss it with them.

Pinkie
Pinky2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #6  
Certified Fat Chick

Thanks ladies! Sounds like there's definitely a lot of variance between clinics then for all aspects of the program. I should clarify, I have gotten the measurement part at all my visits and I do get the daily videos. Although, it took a week to the vids and signing up sorted out so I was a little behind there. Again, it was kind of weird to me she didn't really know how to get that part working since she's apparently be doing this a while.

Just wasn't sure about the actual weighing part.

I've actually been buying a variety of additional food from my brother's clinic, which of course my coach doesn't like. I get it, it's a business. That's where they make their money. However, I think the nature of the program is kind of forcing my hand in doing that. It's my well being we're talking about and if that's what it takes to stay on the program as long as possible, that's what I'll have to do I guess. I was just really intrigued by the program by what I knew about it from him which turned out to not be typical. I live 3 hours away from my family so switching and going there permanently isn't an option.

Danibee - you should ask at your next visit about getting signed up. It's more about getting access to the IP website. All the "weekly" videos are there for you to watch whenever you want. There's some stuff on there you would likely find interesting.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #7  
Started IP August 28 2014

S/C/G: 265/215/140

Height: 5'7''

I wish I could buy individual packets... It never even occurred to me. Then I wouldn't have a cupboard full of expensive food that I dont particularly like.
Snozzeberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #8  

Also. The emails are awesome and somehow manage to come with appropriately timed topics.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #9  
Certified Fat Chick

Oh, I forgot to mention. She does have a trade-in drawer as her way of providing variety. I haven't found anything good to trade yet though. I figure the stuff is in there for a reason! 'Cause nobody else likes it either. Ha! Ha!
Old 10-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #10  

I have never been weighed on anything but a regular scale. I feel like I'm getting the sham. lol. (She does measure me often however)
Old 10-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

I am weighed by a full body analyzer thing and measured every week. My clinic does not let you purchase individual packets and doesn't really have a trade in option. I did get a variety when I signed up though. This helped me alot figure out what I really liked. I've also started buying alternatives that are on program which added another full dimension to allowing me to have variety.
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by danibee27 View Post
Canadjineh you receive emails daily from IP? My coach has never once asked for my email? Is this something every clinic does? Or just a few?
Hi danibee: I don't receive email videos anymore as I have been in maintenance for quite a while now, but I do still have access to look over phase 4 videos as a refresher. I think they take your access to previous phases off as you head into a different phase, just so that you don't use them to 'coach' a friend or two privately, lol. (Something I have personally thought about, mwahahaha ) Mention it to them as they may not be keeping up with the latest info out there. The video coaching is fairly new from what I understand, just the past year or two... so if they haven't kept up they may not realize it is available. Force their hand .

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #13  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

DaCooler - so sorry you aren't getting the coaching you need, that's really rough. I have been extremely lucky with a really well-informed coach who works hard to keep us motivated and make the diet as interesting as possible. I could buy individual packets, got measured weekly, could return packets I didn't like, etc., etc. Coach had a fancy scale but I rarely used it since I don't think they are terribly accurate - especially when you have a lot to lose. And most importantly, she understands the program and how it works and was able to walk me through several medical issues (in conjunction with my doctor of course). I'm not just bragging on my coach, this is the kind of coaching everyone should be receiving and it always makes me sad to hear of clinics/coaches who basically just sell product - I feel this is short-changing the clients and, face it, we pay a lot of money for IP and should be receiving the highest quality coaching.

I think at one time there was a packet exchange thread here on the board. Maybe you could offer to trade some packets with people who have ones they don't like?

It took awhile for me to get the videos - some kind of weird glitch. But I still get them (and I've been in maintenance for nearly 6 months). Today's is on why Omega 3s are good for your brain.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #14  
IP Started 9/29/2014

S/C/G: 215/194/155

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snozzeberries View Post
I wish I could buy individual packets... It never even occurred to me. Then I wouldn't have a cupboard full of expensive food that I dont particularly like.
What do you have that you're not a fan of? It could be that if you add some IP approved seasonings or prepare a slightly different way, you could use it and then not buy again.

I know for me, that's the case with the Chicken ala King Pottage (add in Sea Salt and Black Pepper and sautéed Mushrooms) and the Chicken Noodle Soup packet, I have to cook on the stove top. Well, I've found that I need to fix most things on the stove top --- I don't like the texture of it from "shaking" -- too bubbly for my liking.

Just a thought
Pinky2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Pinky2012, I too dislike the foam from shaken the Chicken Noodle soup!! Now I just stir it and it's not as bad.

One of these days when I'm low on stuff I like, I'm going to try to improve the Tomato Basil, I think the fact that it's pink doesn't help
DeterminedDieter is offline   Reply With Quote