Old 10-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias ~ #91

GOOD AFTERNOON IN ROCKTOBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It has been raining and that is wonderful. For awhile it was a gulley washer. Not much happening around this berg this day. The buffalo are happy and content with all the new greens that are popping up in their pasture. Just wanted to check in . . . and found out we needed a fresh thread started.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all. It was warm overnight and didn't get below 70 and going to be warm today then temps are going to noise dive into the 60's and even out into the 70's which is normal for here. I imagine we are going to get a lot of rain because of the deep dip in the jet stream caused by the typhoons in Japan.

Happy Birthday to my hubby today. He is 65. He is all signed up for his Medicare and his SS to start next year so hopefully he is good to go. You know you wonder if the people that work in situations like my hospital preop and SS get trained the same way. Jack checked in at ss and the first man he saw told him a completely different story than the lady he ultimately saw who did most of the work. It wasn't something that didn't matter either it had to do with when he could start it before 66 and how much he would lose at certain months, etc. Anyway, it is irritating when you are told different things.

I am on the foot of T's sock trying to get it done. I imagine it will be in the next week or so and I can have it done. I am going to take my sweater with me to work on at the hospital though. It is a bigger piece and on circs so I won't lose tiny dpn's like I could with the socks.

Jean: Hope you day is going well. I imagine you have some kind of grandkids thing going on this weekend.

Maggie: Glad you are enjoying the baby buffalo. Did you ever finish your dolls?

Have a great weekend all and don't forget Monday is a federal holiday so no mail! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #3  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it's a chilly 36 degrees this morning. Bob is at an all day meeting, and plans to head to the farm afterwards if he is needed. My plan for the day is a trip to the library, laundry, and decluttering . . . again . . . yet. I'm impatiently waiting for a greeting card catalog for the gift shop. I have a free shipping coupon I have to use by the end of the year, and the 2015 catalog comes out in the fall.

Maggie, am I missing some posts? I only had 20+ on the last thread. Anyway, thanks for the new thread. You can keep your rainn, the farmers are just getting a good start on harvest and don't want to be interrupted. So far no break downs which is good.

"Gma," to Jack! When is your surgery date? I missed it if you said. Ian's last game is Sunday and this is the one played inside the dome at the university. That's my kind of football atmosphere -- warm! I play bells so we will leave right after first service. We will miss a fund raiser dinner for the youth group but will put money in the pot on Tuesday. The bank the church uses will be closed Monday, but the one for the gift shop will be open. I did remember there is no mail. Our mail has been coming so late that if I want something to get out of town that day, one of us has to make a trip to the post office.

Well, I need to get dressed and put my face on so I don't scare someone. Hope you all enjoy a nice day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Fabulous Friendly Rainey Friday

I hear the pitter patter of the rain on the roof and it is a lovely sound. Our grass is so green and hasn’t been green this time of the year since we have lived here. We were having a water shortage and told not to water our lawns awhile back and hopefully all this rain we have been getting has brought the water table up enough to allow watering if need be.

I saw a door ornament that no one in this town had last year and is said to be an exclusive in the catalogue. I think I will order it soon. It is a battery operated garland with a big red bow and 5 huge 6 ½ inch LED bulbs in yellow, orange, green, red and blue. It will look nice hanging on our step rail out front. Tis the season. We saw a yard in town that was decorated with Halloween things plus some Christmas decorations.

Because of the rain today the schools have cancelled taking the kids to the October Fest doings in the park downtown. Will didn’t have to go for “show and tell” after all in this rain. The rain kinda messed things up for those doings but it always rains during October Fest here. There will be lots of drunks in town today and the jail will be full tonight. Some folks just take their celebrating to the max.

JEAN I was goofy ~ what I saw was the thread that had 3 pages and started this one before I realized it was an older thread than the last one. It was a "duh" moment for sure.

DONNA FAYE Happy B-Day to your hubby. YEP SS is messed up everywhere. No, haven't finished a doll yet ~ doing them is an ongoing project. I have finally gotten most of the items needed rounded up. Some needful things had to come from far~far away.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #5  

Good morning all. We got some rain last night, but it isn't raining now. I know there is a flash flood watch our for our whole area so who knows how much we got.

Jack is going in a bit to get the oil changed on the Mariner. It is that time again. It irritates me that they send you coupons for $21.99 oil changes but that doesn't include all the stuff they add on like old oil disposable, filter disposal, labor etc. You end up paying a bundle when it starts out a good deal. Our last oil change was $60!! It is ridiculous.

I have to work on a grocery list to go to the commissary tomorrow. We won't need a lot as we went only about a week ago after we got back from the cruise and I spent nearly $400 so we should be good on most stuff.

Still working on T's sock. I hope to get it done soon then go back to the sweater, which is my last project started. I want to get yarn and make a really nice sweater for our next cruise to wear to dinner. I have the pattern and have picked out yarn, but the yarn has sequins and beads and is silk so it will cost me nearly $400 to make so I am waiting for it go on sale.

Jean: I have surgery first thing Wednesday morning, the 15th. That is his all day surgery day and the next one he had so I booked the first surgery in the morning. I hate waiting around for prior patients because you get stuck sometimes when a surgery runs over. If you are first that doesn't happen. I am hoping it is just a small tear and can easily be repaired and I can go home by the weekend.

Maggie: It seems to always rain when we have Memphis In May Music Festival too. It is muddy and icky and we never go down there and leave it to the younger folks. They have some well known singers and bands and some less known and you can buy an all weekend ticket, but we are too old to deal with fighting for port a potties and slushing through mud to watch concerts let alone standing in rain because unless it is lightening they have the concerts anyway.

Well girls gotta get my day started. Have a good one. Faye
Old 10-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #6  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it was 32 degrees early this morning. I think my flowers survived another night. I'm waiting for the oven to preheat for a pizza lunch. I brought it home from the deli and Bob decided that was going to be his lunch before he heads to the farm. I've been chasing litter dust and bunnies in the basement while the washer and dryer are humming away. Tomorrow will be an early morning as I have to be at church by 7:30 to practice. After church we head off to Ian's game. Jason said the parents got together and planned a tailgating party for after the game. It's supposed to rain so I don't know if there is a Plan B or not. We are invited too.

Maggie, everything around here is really green yet too. Trees are late in turning colors but I don't know if that would be the result of all our rain or not. The door decoration sounds very festive. I only show a choice of four different threads, so I can easily be confused.

"Gma," we just got our third recall on the Enclave. Part of our "deal" was two years of free oil changes and two years of free XM radio. I'd love to have XM in the house. Prices are on the rise on everything! How hard will it be to knit with sequins and beads? Sounds hard to me! Glad you are first on the surgery schedule. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that all goes well, and that you are home asap.

Oven is ready so I'm off. Have a great weekend and enjoy!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #7  

Happy Birthday, Maggie! Didn't want to miss your special day in case I don't get back here today.

Last edited by Jean; 10-12-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. We are supposed to get rain today so I imagine I will get my feet wet as I am going to wear sandals.

We have commissary shopping to do today I will head up to the shower in just a few. It shouldn't take too long this week as I went after we got back from vacation and bought a huge bill since we were out of stuff.

I guess I will spend Monday and Tuesday cleaning and getting ready to go to the hospital. I am going to pack a carryall on Tuesday that Jack can just take to the room and leave with me. It is aqua and pink and clear plastic and says, "I love cruising!"

Jean: Bundle up if it is cold this morning and good luck with your bells. Have a great time with the kids today.

Maggie: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MAGGIE! Hope you have a nice one!

Talk to you tomorrow all. Faye
Old 10-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #9  

Food for Thought - Read it carefully. No wonder the country is getting fatter and fatter when the AMA does the research then recommends the opposite.

Weight Loss – Mixed Messages from the American Medical Association

In this report, Canadian and American researchers performed a comprehensive analysis of 48 randomized trials that encompassed over 7,000 individuals. They looked at the weight loss achieved by either a low-fat diet or a low-carbohydrate diet at both 6 and 12 months. They were able to determine that both of these approaches did lead to weight loss but that the “largest weight loss was associated with low-carbohydrate diets.”
There were no significant side effects of either diet, but the most frequent mild side effect, constipation, was seen to occur more frequently in the low-carbohydrate diet compared to the low-fat diet.
In this study, a diet deriving less than 40% of total calories from carbohydrate was considered low carbohydrate, high-fat. On the other hand, low-fat diets, found to be less effective in terms of weight loss, derived 20% or less calories from fat and had about 60% of calories derived from carbohydrate.
Interestingly, in the very same journal, In the JAMA Patient Page, a section of the journal that doctors are encouraged to copy and distribute to their patients, this weeks topic was “Healthy Weight Loss.” The specific recommendation that doctors are then told to transmit to their patients stated:
However, most health experts recommend a balanced diet that provides approximately 15% to 20% of calories from protein, 20% to 35% of calories from fat, and the rest from complex carbohydrates.
In other words while the journal is presenting an extensive study demonstrating the effectiveness of a higher-fat, low-carb diet, the actual recommendation made to doctors, and what doctors are told they should communicate to their patients, is exactly the opposite. Again both of these articles appear in the exact same issue of the exact same journal.

The science tells us to eat less carbs and more fat and the recommendation that we should take to our patients tells us to do just the opposite. In fact, for more information, the JAMA Patient Page then refers us to the US Department of Agriculture.
It is certainly going to continue to take time for mainstream medicine to embrace the notion that dietary fat plays a critical role in human health end will actually enhance weight-loss. Over the past several decades dietary fat has been virtually castigated, despite excellent science indicating that even as it relates to weight-loss, more dietary fat with reduction of carbohydrates is clearly the most effective approach, as once again confirmed by this recent study appearing in the highly respected and influential Journal of the American Medical Association. Old habits die hard, and clearly people tend to be down on what they are not up on.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #10  

Good afternoon, ladies! 66 degrees and rain.

The leaves haven't really turned colors but they are turning directly to brown and falling off.

I had tea with Glory and Irene yesterday. A good time as always. Tomorrow is applique at Bella, Tuesday is quilt guild, Wednesday is library bee and my eye test, Thursday is Ladies of the Evening, Friday is lock in and Saturday is stay home and rest! A busy and fun week.

Faye, I'll trade your surgery for my shot in the eye. Seriously, I hope your surgery is successful and you are soon back on your feet.

Jean, I hope the rain holds off so you can enjoy the tailgating party.

Maggie, Happy birthday! May you have many more and enjoy good health all your life.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #11  

Good Evening! It's been a very long day! The bell choir director asked for husbands to come and help set up at church this morning since we no longer have a custodian. We practice in an upstairs room which is a level above the sanctuary. Our tables normally are stored in a cart in the basement, but for some reason ended upstairs, without the cart. All of our bells are in various sized cases, our music books, foam pads, and table clothes are part of the production. I volunteered Bob, and he thought he was going to sleep in a little later this morning. There has been a masked window peeper in the undesirable part of town, and he had a dream about someone peeking in the deck doors. It was 4:45 when he went flying out of bed and downstairs to check. Of course, I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. I finally got up at 5:15 and started my day. When we got to church, the former custodian and his wife came in yesterday and had everything set up and ready to go. That was a nice surprise but Bob wished he could have had another hour of sleep. We headed for Sioux City to pick up Beth, Maddy, and Kolby and then on to the football game. Ian's team won, 20 - 0, and Ian had some nice plays. At the tailgate party the coach called each player up, presented his trophy, and said positive things about each one. Everyone would clap for the kid. Ian was towards the end, and when the coach finished the kids hooted and hollered for him; he was the only one to have that happen. He is a really nice kid if I do say so myself, as well as being a team player.

"Gma, hope your trip to the commissary went well. I know how much you enjoy that.

Susan, you have a busy fun week ahead! No rain today but very windy and fairly warm. The game was inside at the university and it was cool.

Is this print teeny tiny for you all? I can barely read it!

I am heading for bed. Tomorrow will be here too soon.

Last edited by Jean; 10-12-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Cloudy Sunday

It was a cloudy day but we didn’t get any rain but they say we will get it tomorrow.

Thank you ladies for the birthday wishes. My day went fine and I am happy to be healthy at this age and have no regrets on how I lived my years. Well I do have a regret come to think of it ~ for letting myself get so heavy. So much fun and easier to put it on than take it off.

Tomorrow I am going to make some soup that is recommend to have in my program. It is a vegetable broth made with onions, leeks, carrot, celery,, cauliflower, broccoli, salt & pepper and fresh herbs to taste & water. Sounds good to me anyway & it says I may use other fresh or frozen veggies that I may want.

JEAN What a nice thing for the team to do fo Ian! He will treasure that moment in time for years to come.

SUSAN Thanks for thw article. Makes it hard to believe what "they" say doesn't it.

DONNA FAYE I do hope that your surgery goes well and they get you all fixed up where you don't cramp so much.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. We had thunderstorms overnight so everything is wet. It is supposed to rain constantly for the next couple days so we shall see.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEAN! Hope you have a grand day today.

We whizzed through the commissary and came home and put it all away and vegged out the rest of the day. I haven't been sleeping well for several days now maybe subconscious stress I don't know, but I am just so very tired. I tried to nap yesterday but that just didn't work so I gave up on it.

I plan on cleaning the downstairs today and start packing my bag for the hospital and I will finish that up tomorrow. They have changed up some things to go into prepare and one of them is cleansing. You used to be told to bath the morning of surgery with antibacterial soap then you would get to the hospital and they had these warm wipes you were supposed to wipe your whole body with. Now they give you this bottle of stuff and you are to bathe then squirt it all over and rub it on and wash it off front and back so Jack is going to have to stand in the bathroom and do the backside I guess. Must be cheaper to use that stuff who knows.

We received the fleece blanket I had made for our friends that is full of a collage of vacation pictures. It is just beautiful and we loved it so much we ordered one for ourselves. We had theirs put on a white blanket and ours will be on a yellow blanket. I am thinking about having each of the boys done on a canvas and framed from babyhood until now. I think their parents would like it for Christmas. I may have to filch pictures of the boys from their FB pages if I can't find enough. You have to have a lot of pictures to do this though the canvas is smaller so they would need less for it.

Susan: I am to the point where I don't trust anything anyone says anymore. This is bad for you then it isn't, that is good for you then it causes cancer and blah, blah, blah. No one agrees with anyone else and even your doctors don't agree. For instance, A1C levels. I have seen at least 10 articles and or doctor opinions on what your A1C level should be and they are all over the place. One says 6 or under another says 5.5 or under another says anything under 6 1/2. I have come to the conclusion that it is your responsibility to take care of your health and then let them be a guide. To read up on all your meds and procedure, diseases and problems and decide what is best for you and stick to it. I sent a big complaint just last week to the hospital against a nurse who refused to take my bp on my lower arm even though I told her to because the cuffs are too small. Well as usual when they don't listen she bruised me before she discovered I was right. I made an email complaint to the hospital to corporate patient complaints and by mail. I did get a quick response so I hope they retrain this woman. I am done just listening and following along to anything anyone says.

Maggie: Glad you had a nice birthday. You soup sounds nice and hearty and healthy.

Jean: Wonder who put everything in the wrong place and frankly you would think hauling them upstairs would have been a bad idea in the first place. Glad Ian's season turned out so well and he enjoyed it. I always love it when the coaches show the kids each one is special no matter how they play.

Well I better hit the bricks as I have a lot to accomplish the next two days before the hospital. Have a good one all. Faye
Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! It's a gloomy day in my neighborhood today. It has been misting since midmorning, just enough to make everything wet and messy. Most of the leaves have fallen off the tree in front and a good many are on the driveway. I picked up the gift shop money and made that deposit. We count at church tomorrow. I had my nails done and now need to put my gift shop bookwork away until next week. I also need to sort through birthday cards for church. Some are more suited for men so like to keep them separate.

Maggie, glad you enjoyed your special day. I know what you mean about the weight regrets. I don't think society was as health conscious when we were kids. Today is a soup kind of day here!

"Gma," thank you for the birthday wishes. Today seems just like a regular day -- ho hum. The blanket sounds really nice. I know you will enjoy one too. Bob always makes it a point to thank the soccer refs and football/baseball coaches. Some look surprised that a grandpa would do that, but Bob knows the time involved and usually no pay. Our bell tables have always been on a cart in the basement. They are a weird shape, wider on one side so we can put them in a circle which we never do. This summer the Bible School director wanted them out of the way for some reason. Well, the tables ended up with the rest of our stuff and the cart was in the "gym" being used to cart the big round tables for receptions, etc. Bob found it after church and told the guys cooking dinner that it was our cart and we were taking it back. Hauling all of our stuff is why we don't play for weddings, etc., outside of our church.

The print is still teeny tiny for me! I made mine a little bigger.

Guess I will check the laundry basket and put in a load, then clear off the kitchen table. Hope you all are enjoying a nice Monday!

Last edited by Jean; 10-13-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday & a Nice Day

Hope you gals are all doing well this glorious day. I don’t have much planned to do except the regular things I need to get done each day.

We had an electricity blip yesterday which things all went off then back again. Most things in the house it didn’t effect, but it did a whammy on my printer. It wouldn’t print here in my office but would print on Will’s printer which was weird because I don’t have his printer listed on my computer. But my stuff would print on his printer and his things would not. The teckie guy said that was the strangest thing he has run across but got it all straightened out and both printers work as they should. We spent quite a long time with him on the phone. Our printers may be switched in the router somehow so we will have that checked next. What is so cool is that I can let my teckie guy come right into my computer from his office and I don't have to take it down there.

Not much on my ticket today but I am sure I can get some things accomplished. My job for Will to do when he gets home is to take some pictures of my glass and equipment so they can be sold and give me some room here in this room. I am gong to give it a real good cleaning before I start doing my dolls because I don’t want any glass bits getting into ,my work. I think I now have all tools rounded up I will need for this first doll, hopefully.

JEAN Anything special going on to celebrate?

DONNA FAYE That blanket sounds like it turned out great. What a neat thing to do.