Old 09-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/165/120

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Zero point fruits makes me worry

I just started WW two day ago, and im on simple start. I like the fact that I don't have to count anything. Also, I know its too early to start worrying but for my entire life time I counted sugar and carbs. Now WW tells me to eat all I want from their power food list and unlimited fruits?

I understand that I shouldn't just eat bananas every two minutes, but still I would like to have some sort of limit to it. If I could limit my portion with carbs and sugars, I wouldn't be a fat chick to begin with

Anyhow I just wanna know what others think about fruits begin zero points, and with simple start has anyone seen a good weight drop?

I even feel guilty having my indulging points.

Should I be worried
itsyaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I haven't been doing weight watchers for too long, and eating too much fruit hasn't really ever been a problem of mine.. but I did find this on the official weight watchers site. Hopefully it answers your question.

"How much 0 PointsPlus values fruit is too much?
We’ll say it again: Yes, fruits and vegetables aren’t magically calorie-free just by dint of us making most of them free of PointsPlus values. We took this step to encourage people to eat more fruits and vegetables; foods that are nutritious, satisfying and help to encourage you to make healthy, lasting choices that will lead to weight loss.

If you’re concerned that you’re eating “too much fruit," ask yourself if you’re enjoying what you’re eating, or if you’re honestly stuffing yourself with bananas because they’re “free." Or maybe you’re blending pounds of berries and bananas with ice into big-gulp smoothies.

If you’re using fruit and veggies as a way to stuff yourself in lieu of stuffing yourself with less healthy foods, then it’s possible that you may be reaching the point of “too much." If you’re eating more than you used to, but you’re using them for healthy snacks, to bulk up your meals or as a tide-me-over when you’re down to the last few PointsPlus values for the day or week, then you’re probably OK.

The bottom line? Let your hunger, and your weight loss, be your guide."

Source: http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...108831&sc=3002
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #3  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

PERSONALLY - I try and stay away from the high sugar fruits, specifically bananas, apples and grapes. I have limited amounts, but I don't lose weight when I consume them daily. Some people do and it's fine. WW is spot on when they say to let your weight loss be your guide.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/165/120

[QUOTE=sunarie;5075140]I haven't been doing weight watchers for too long, and eating too much fruit hasn't really ever been a problem of mine.. but I did find this on the official weight watchers site. Hopefully it answers your question.

"How much 0 PointsPlus values fruit is too much?
We’ll say it again: Yes, fruits and vegetables aren’t magically calorie-free just by dint of us making most of them free of PointsPlus values. We took this step to encourage people to eat more fruits and vegetables; foods that are nutritious, satisfying and help to encourage you to make healthy, lasting choices that will lead to weight loss.

If you’re concerned that you’re eating “too much fruit," ask yourself if you’re enjoying what you’re eating, or if you’re honestly stuffing yourself with bananas because they’re “free." Or maybe you’re blending pounds of berries and bananas with ice into big-gulp smoothies.

If you’re using fruit and veggies as a way to stuff yourself in lieu of stuffing yourself with less healthy foods, then it’s possible that you may be reaching the point of “too much." If you’re eating more than you used to, but you’re using them for healthy snacks, to bulk up your meals or as a tide-me-over when you’re down to the last few PointsPlus values for the day or week, then you’re probably OK.

The bottom line? Let your hunger, and your weight loss, be your guide."

Thanks for the reply, I guess im just a control freak that needs to count every bit I'm going to try simple start then and let my weight loss be the guide
itsyaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

If you really want to count, you can count the five servings a day, which is what they want you to get. I like the bad fruits that SoMuchFattitude listed (eek).. so I usually have a banana with breakfast (counts as two servings), a small apple in between breakfast and lunch, and then some grapes with dinner, sometimes I'll switch it out for blueberries in yogurt.

Aiming for at least five servings would make sure you're getting your fruit though, but still give you something to count. I actually do that because I have problems getting the fruit, I just don't reach for it naturally yet. Kinda the opposite problem I guess. If you don't lose, you can always cut a bit of it out.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #6  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Sunarie - They're not bad fruits, just higher sugar! It's just a personal experience thing for me. I eat tons of berries (strawberries, blueberries - my favorite, raspberries, blackberries, etc.) and I like berries as much as I like the high sugar, so I've made the switch to pop blueberries in my mouth instead of grapes. Now it's a treat when I have high sugar fruits.

The counting of servings is big for some people. It's especially big for me with fruit. I LOVE fruit, so I have to be aware of my intake. I can easily have 10 servings of fruit in a day if I'm not paying attention - which would (without thought) be something like a banana at breakfast and then a PM snack later in the day, 2 cups of grapes for an AM snack, an apple with lunch, a pear on my drive home and then snack on grapes while I make dinner. So, 2 bananas, 1 apple, 3 cups of grapes, and a pear. Which, when you calculate it, is 628 calories, 160 carbs and 112 grams of sugar. Or 17 points if you calculate it all out. SEVENTEEN POINTS!

So, instead now I have a cup of raspberries with breakfast, maybe a plum in the AM with a snack and a cup of blueberries with lunch/PM Snack. That's 177 calories, 44 carbs and 26 grams of sugar. Or 4 points.

A difference of 451 calories, 116 carbs, 86 grams of sugar.

I guess my point is that, while fruits are zero points plus, they certainly aren't created equally. If you already have issues with portion control (like myself), they can be a little dangerous.

Let your weight loss be your guide!

Last edited by SoMuchFattitude; 09-29-2014 at 07:32 AM.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I just wanted to reply quickly....everyone will have a different answer/opinion.

But....I eat a ton of fruit. If I'm hungry or snacky and it's not a meal time, I eat fruit....apples, bananas, strawberries, grapes, pineapples, clementines. Some days I eat 2 or 3 bananas. Honestly, I try to have different ones since they have different nutrients. I always have at least 1 banana everyday, and an apple and a couple cups of grapes and about 4 clementines. That's my usual. Then, I also eat LOADS of veggies.....I'm down 70 lbs and have done this the whole time.

Everyone is different. The second someone puts a rule in my eating, I'm doomed. Relax and try it out. It's a marathon...not a sprint. Losing weight is 99% mental and figuring out what works for YOU is the key to changing your lifestyle.

Good luck!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

5 servings of veggies, and or fruit.

The combination or selection, is up to you and what works for you.

I like fruit, but since I have certain food allergies to some fruit, I rarely eat any. I just eat more veg. I like them, and they don't make me feel yukky, like some fruit does.

The great thing about WW, is it gives you the tools you need, and the freedom, to tweak the program, just for you!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 128.7kg/125.1kg/80kg

Height: 168cm

I'm on my third week of WW. I started out with two weeks Simple Start (it's called Easy Start over here... ) and I dropped approx. 2 kgs (I guess about 4 lbs?). I don't want to lose too much at once, so this weight drop seems feasible to me. I'm picky with fruit, thus I'm not in danger to overeat there. But typically, I would eat some Raspberries, half a Mango and/or a Kiwi per day.
So yeah, Simple Start did work for me, eventhough I ate plenty. :-)
Tanyanka is offline   Reply With Quote