Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #1  

Question Walking DVDs vs ancient stationary bike

Hi, Everyone,

Yuppers, I'm new here. I've been following a "volumetrics-based" weight loss program for 7 weeks with good success, considering I'm in my early 60s and considered morbidly obese. Yeah, got a few other health issues just as part of the aging process and how I haven't taken care of my body, but nothing that would prevent me from gentle exercise.

About 4 weeks ago, I added doing exercise from one of the Leslie Sansone videos (I can eek out 24 minutes of taking-it-down-a-notch-from-how-fast-they-end-up-going-on-the DVD). Hey, I'm older and have more to move! lolam

Last week, I had DH pull out my very old (ancient!) stationary bike I've had for the past 30+ years. The only thing that works on it is the "biking" pedals part, and the front wheel turning as I pedal.

The timer doesn't work, the adjustment to make the pedals more resistant doesn't work, and the speedometer and odometer don't work. I'm so glad the pedals and the wheel work!! I can last about 6 minutes, so far, on the stationary bike. I started at 2 minutes, so yay for me.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows which one burns more calories. I can't tell how fast I'm going on the stationary bike, and it has no resistance on the pedals so to speak, but still I sweat. The Sansone walking DVD, from what I can tell by looking on line, (if I can keep up for the 1 mile walk) says I'll burn about 100 calories.

I'd like more bang for my sweat, y'know, but wouldn't mind mixing it up to alleviate boredom. What would be your guess as to which one-- the walking I'm able to do, or the stationary biking I'm able to do--burns more calories?

Oh, and I also use small, handheld "barbell-type free weights every other day--2 sets, 12 reps each set.

Thanks for any input!
Jo
JoSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #2  

Wow, 108 people looking, but no one hazarding a guess! Meanwhile, I've been trying to find out more info, so here it is, in case anyone is interested... the answer to my question is...it depends.

It depends on the resistance on the bike, on how much ya weigh, and how fast you're walking. Overall, the stationary bike burns more calories than walking.

Hope this helps someone! :O)

Jo
Old 09-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #3  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

If the stationery bike is making you sweat more then you are likely burning more calories with that. But being able to know exactly how many calories you are burning is difficult. As far as I know it depends a lot on your weight and heart rate. The more overweight you are the more you are likely to be burning by doing exercise because it takes more calories for you to function. I don't really focus on how many calories I'm burning when exercising but making sure I get it done. I suppose if you are doing a lot of exercise you may need to know so you can eat up some of the calories you are lacking. But sorry, that's all the info I can give. I'm sure there are more people who can give better replies about it.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #4  

Hi, VioletDolphin,

Thanks for your response! I guess I want more bang for my sweating-bucks and was looking at bicycling burning more calories than walking. So far, increasing my exercise time a bit has yielded a somewhat steady weight loss. I have far to go, though.

Jo