General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #1  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

Default Book on Hispanic culture

I'm looking for suggestions of books on hispanic culture i.e SPANISH AND LATIN AMERICAN culture together in one book. Those I've been finding for the meantime are either on spanish culture OR American culture. I need both together in a book.
I'd greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

When you say Spanish do you mean Spain or are you using Spanish as a general term for Spanish speaker?

Spain and Latin American are very different other than language. You may find a history book about the colonization of Latin America by Spain. But culturally they are different.

Plus, countries in Latin America are also wildly different. Not just economically, socially and culturally but the language as well. Slang and formal language varies a lot. Brasil speaks Portuguese!

Could you be more specific? Are you traveling there? Do you need a books on local customs?
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, that'd be something similar to finding a book on british, canadian, australian, and american culture along with native populations of all those areas.

Spanish colonialism, was equal to or worst than British colonialism on the native populations in the Americas. Spread throughout the Americas, you have a mix of cultures from the native populations (who may not speak Spanish or Portuguese but still speak the native language), those who are descendants of slaves, descendants of the spaniards that invaded the Americas and brought Catholicism, and post Colonialism Asian and European Immigrants. And if you include the Southwestern US, you got another whole facet.

I don't know a lot about Spain but I do know that although it is small, there are tons of dialects and influence in different regions. There is the French/Basque influence, there is the Moorish influence and I'm sure the Portuguese have influenced them as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Not sure if this will help, but I found that the book called the Story of Spanish (which is about the language "Spanish") brings together Spain's history with Latin American history but it's obviously language focused (which brings together some of the culture).

Again, not sure why you need the book, but there are big differences between Spain and Latin America, so we probably need more information on what you're trying to learn in order to give better suggestions.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:50 AM   #5  

After reading a book on Hispanic culture, my passion for understanding different cultures ignited. Now, I delve into articles about culture particularly I like to exploring Emotional & Cultural Intelligence Through Art. It's a fascinating experience of self-discovery and appreciation. New knowledge expands my horizons and I like it.

Last edited by Cynthia R Shankle; 01-19-2024 at 05:43 PM.
Cynthia R Shankle is offline   Reply With Quote