Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/124/115

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Recovery after a cheat!!! Help

Hi, I was good for weeks and recently was not feeling good and had terrible cravings. I started sneaking an almond here and there and ultimately ate way to many of them, after that I went straight to chocolate ( my biggest addiction).
I promised myself to go right back OP. I was good all day yesterday and in the evening the cravings hit me. I ended up eating a whole bag of kisses. I really need to break my sugar addiction. Please help!!! How do I keep myself on track?
Any suggestions? How long does it take to get in Ketosis after 2 days of pigging on chocolate?
Skarbeczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #2  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Hi Skarbeczek, I'm sorry you are having difficulty. Take a look at this as a learning experience and while you are feeling strong, make a plan on how to get past the cravings. Ask yourself if you are hungry? if so, have something on plan. Are you reacting to emotion? Try going for a walk, or working in the yard, going to the library - something to shift gears. I do get what you are describing. For me I realized after really pausing during one of these episodes that it was that little voice in my head telling me I couldn't do this, and I should just go ahead and eat whatever. Once I realized who/where my gremlins were, I kicked their rear and moved on. It was easy to deal with once I pin pointed why I was feeling the way I was.

To get back into Ketosis, my understanding is you have the around three day window just like at the start of IP. That whole string on the cost of cheating goes into it. Don't let that sway you from your goal. Nothing like the present to get back on track!

Barb
Halfagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #3  

I agree with Barb. Don't beat yourself up too bad and instead focus your energy on getting back on track. It seems like you are really close to goal which is exciting and much more worthy of your time.

The sugar addiction I have found after nearly two years of maintenance never truly goes away. Your body always remembers...BUT as more time goes on, healthy decisions become a way of life. It's not like you will never have chocolate again...its just that you won't now and when you do, it will be planned and you will be in control.

Chin up. You are doing awesome!
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #4  

Thank you Barb,

I am all or nothing person, seems that if I take only a bite of something not allowed I feel like I already cheated and ultimately that leads to a full blown binge. I am very sensitive to carbs, only few to many carbs and I get the biggest cravings and feel like I am starved. The only way for me to do it is to stick to it 100 percent. I have to find a willpower to fight cravings for next 3 days!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #5  

I will do it! Will not give in today! I will post tomorrow on my progress and will be back in Ketosis by Friday!
Thank you everybody for your support!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #6  

I was wondering if going no carbs for 2 days would put me in Ketosis faster. Has anyone tried this? What do you do after a cheat? For me it is more emotional rather than physical consequences. I feel like a failure and have hard time forgiving myself. I almost feel like I need to punish myself and go 4 unrestricted packets for couple days and no veggies!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #7  
IP start date: 6/23/14

S/C/G: 294/202/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarbeczek View Post
I was wondering if going no carbs for 2 days would put me in Ketosis faster. Has anyone tried this? What do you do after a cheat? For me it is more emotional rather than physical consequences. I feel like a failure and have hard time forgiving myself. I almost feel like I need to punish myself and go 4 unrestricted packets for couple days and no veggies!
Honestly, I feel that is just setting you up for failure.

I would just follow the protocol...I don't think going without veggies will speed up your ketosis. You just need to start over like today is day 1. Which isn't as horrible as it sounds....in 3 days you will be in a better place than you are now...in a week, you will be in an even better place.

Recommit to the plan. It is all you can do at this point. You will feel better about your inner strength when you do.
nat1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #8  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarbeczek View Post
Don't make this so hard you are more tempted to give in to temptation. There's no need to punish yourself, you have been beating yourself up already. This change is for a lifetime - and you stepped off the path - but you have come back! I would just stick to the plan. If you were your best friend, how would you treat her? I'm sure with kindness.
Halfagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #9  
IP start date: 6/23/14

S/C/G: 294/202/155

Also, don't focus on it. For the next 3 days or so you should follow the plan and then keep busy otherwise so that your mind isn't focused on what you ate, how you were off plan, or what you are going to eat.
nat1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #10  

You really can't hack the diet. Just jump back on & stop giving in to your cravings (get the foods out of the house, if necessary).

And today, get yourself a copy of The Beck Diet Solution book (or order audio version from Amazon).

This book really helps us learn the mindset necessary to stay on the diet, rather than give into cheats. I think it should be required reading for anyone on IP.

One of the things the book has taught me are to have attitudes like this:
"It's just hunger. I won't die"
"This is a craving. I'll be uncomfortable for a short time but if I make it through, I'm strengthening my resistance muscle. If I give in, I strengthen the desires"

For today: commit to no BLTs (Bites, licks, tastes). If you're eating at night in front of the TV, either do a project instead or just go to bed early. We tend to eat if we're Bored or tired. Food isn't the solution.

No "punishing" yourself. (And btw, having no veggies would also be punishing your body b/c it's not good for you!)

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-26-2014 at 10:41 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 228/198/165

Height: 5'11"

Lisa, I agree. The Beck Diet Solution should be required reading I've been surprised how insightful and helpful it's been for me.

Starbeczek, there's a whole section in the book about "getting back on track"--and it's there because EVERYONE makes mistakes, so recovering from mistakes is a critical part of the weight-loss journey.

Here are some of the concepts/ideas/tips I found helpful:

1. Give yourself credit for stopping--at ANY point. Yes, you may feel this was a 'monumental' slip-up, but you're not eating off-plan *right now*. You stopped. It may seem ridiculous to say to yourself "It was a good choice to stop eating after one bag of kisses. I could have opened another one, or gone looking for more chocolate in the house, but I didn't. That deserved credit" but that's exactly what you need to do--It switches your brain out of the demoralization and shame and back into choice and problem-solving mode. I have found 'giving myself credit' to be surprisingly difficult...but I'm trying to literally say it out loud to myself every time I make a helpful choice and the habit is growing.

2. Drawing the Line : I have drawn this symbolic line ("this is where my binge ends, where I stop eating off-program") many times in the past only to give in, rationalize, and slip further--then feel doubly guilty for both overeating and the weakness of crossing my own line. Beck suggests "marking" the line with some specific activity--brushing teeth, painting nails, going for a walk around the block, calling someone, etc. I have found this works best when the activity somehow makes it impractical to eat (polishing nails worked surprisingly well And I've been able to draw lines before slipping at all--"this is where my battle with this craving ends. I'm not engaging anymore, not fighting. The choice has been made and I'm moving on." Again, actually saying this out loud seems to help. Yeah, I'm talking to myself a lot these days

3. This one is kindof an amalgam of several suggestions from the book. I have decided that I'm not 'allowed' to quit anytime but first thing in the morning. I'm sure this is different for everyone, but personally, things always look better to me in the morning. I have more energy, better perspective, and a whole new day ahead of me. So, I've decided that *no matter what* (come cravings, stress, emotional tumult, 'unfairness' or discouragement) I will finish the day on program. If I still feel like its not worth it in the clear light of a new day, I can make that choice and go off program, but, come **** or high water, I will finish THIS day on program.

Not sure if any of that will be helpful. Either way, know that you are *not* a failure, you *can* learn and grow, and *your* dreams and goals are worth the work.
sarajoyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #12  

I just ordered this book. Thank you so much for taking time to give advise and help. I really appreciate your support:-)
Old 08-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #13  

I decided that by joining this community and talking about my weakness will be a new great start to a success! It is a start line I just drew for myself. Thank you again for all the help and support.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #14  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Yes, Beck Book is awesome!!!! Another thing you can do while waiting for the book to arrive is to make a list of the reasons why you want to lose weight (looking better, health, fitting into a certain size, etc).....write them somewhere you can see them often. She suggests putting them on 3x5 cards....But you could even post one on your fridge, in your purse, laptop, or cupboard. Read them every morning and any time you start to have cravings.

When we have cravings, a lot of times we lie to ourselves and say, "I don't care." But this list is the truth: you DOOOOOO care!

It works!!!!!!!!!!!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 177.7/178.1/150

Height: 5'4

Water! Water! Water!! Whenever I fall off the wagon I just start right back on the plan. Even as soon as I put that last thing in my mouth. I don't wait until the next day to restart. I just go get myself some water and continue on plan for the rest of the day. Don't beat yourself up. Remember all of the changes you have made and keep going. You can do it!
Sheena1966 is offline   Reply With Quote