Old 08-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Default Help/Suggestions/Support on losing weight as a couple

Hey guys,

It has been months since my last post. The last time I was here, I had just had my tonsils out and was recovering from surgery. Here is where I am at now:

Instead of getting back into exercise, I have done nothing. Well, nothing but gain another 6kgs :'( I feel like a total failure, as now I am the good part of 116kg. I don't know what I expected, like you eat too much and do no exercise, you gain weight, its a no brainer. I know I shouldnt make excuses, but I have had further ill health, especially where my lady parts are concerned, the doctor thought I had a miscarriage and the jury is still out on that, I have had tonnes of tests, etc. Basically stress, poor diet, poor time management as a result of being over worked, ill health and no time to exercise has led me to this. I am so utterly ashamed.

So my doctor came to me and told me that I have elevated cholesterol. I know this is a pre-cursor to cardiovascualr disease. He wanted to put me on medication, but is giving me a chance to lower it through diet and lifestyle choices, however my lifestyle isnt going to change until the new year, when I wont be so strapped for time. I am currently doing University and Vocational Training full time, I am in my final year of both. I dont even have time to work, I have so much work to do that I cant even squeeze in time to get a job, hence the lack of money. To say I am living below the poverty line would be an understatement.

Next year, things are going to change for me and my partner. We will be finished our education and will be out earning serious money. He too, has a weight problem. He weighs about 150kg, and we both have a lot of weight to lose. I am so excited, because he wants to lose weight with me, he wants to do this journey together. We can do it!

I know there is no time like the present, but at this point in time, we cannot dedicate time every day to a fitness routine, however that will all change next year. What I am asking for is some suggestions on how we can do this together, given how much weight we have to lose. We dont really drink soft drink, we limit our takeaway to once a week, and we try to eat fairly well; I think we just eat too much and dont exercise, plus both of us have high stress situations at the moment.

Any suggestions?
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #2  
Optifast User

S/C/G: 265/see tracker/150

Height: 5'3.5

I completely understand!!!

My husband and I are losing weight together but through different means.

I had a total of 100-120lbs to lose, he is more around the 30-40lbs range.
I am doing mine through Optifast and he is doing calorie counting.
Since April, last weeks weigh-ins have me down 62lbs and he is down 23lbs.

You can do it, even when you do it differently. Being supportive of each other is HUGE! And if one of you has a good week and the other a bad week, it's ok...just move forward together.

It is a lifestyle change, for the both of you. You both have to be committed to changing a life that you share.
nibog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Thanks so much for your reply. I was doing great until I got sick and needed surgery. Then life became even busier than normal, and with no time and being sick all the time, I just never got back into it. My health now is largely under control, except for my weight and my cholesterol. I dont drink or smoke, I limit my takeaway and I lay right off the sugar too. I honestly cant wait to change our lifestyle, and my boyfriend is really excited too. What can you tell me about Optifast? Is it expensive? How does it work? My doctor suggested it to help me lose weight quicker, seeing as I refused to be put on Met-Formin (I think thats how its spelt?). Thanks again for your reply and congratulations on your weight loss, what an inspiration!
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #4  
Optifast User

S/C/G: 265/see tracker/150

Height: 5'3.5

At first glance, it can seem expensive - - but you can't just add up the costs of the program with out subtracting what you no longer buy either.

I have a breakdown of my local program fees in my thread in my signature and I would really recommend it to anyone who has a substantial amount to lose.

If given the chance to go back and repeat this diet, I would. It has definitely worked for me. The "catch" is that you have to FOLLOW the diet to make the diet work - "cheating" is very counterproductive because the point of this diet is to put your body into Ketosis
nibog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #5  
Intuitive Eating & HAES

S/C/G: 290/244/175

Height: 5'4"

My husband and I are also working on this together. He just joined Weight Watchers Online, and I'm doing intuitive eating. Here's what we're learning:

Cooking:
We decided to cook separately most (but not all) of the time, so that we can eat what we enjoy without compromising. As the queen of wild kitchen experiments, the foods that I enjoy seem weird to hubby, and his food preferences are a little too traditional for me. This solution lets us be ourselves.

Time Together:
Eating healthier means starting a revolution in our relationship. We're discovering new things that we can enjoy together without habitually heading to a restaurant. Not relying on food for entertainment is opening up a whole new realm of possibilities.

Coaching:
Most importantly, we are perfecting the art of coaching one another -- being supportive but not controlling, and being understanding while still challenging one another to stick with it. Good luck with you and yours.
PartTimeHippie is offline   Reply With Quote