100 lb. Club - exercise thread for week of 07/28

View Full Version : exercise thread for week of 07/28

suzie76
07-28-2003, 08:03 AM
Hi,

The other thread was getting too long. Thanks, Angi for the idea to do a weekly thread.

I managed 25 minutes of The Firm Cardio Sculpt plus Abs. I'm proud of myself now, but will probably hurt tomorrow! I'll try to go for a walk later.

Sherry

synger
07-28-2003, 08:47 AM
Yesterday I didn't do squat. (grin) It was my rest day. I could feel the achiness in my chest and arm from the free weights on Saturday, so I did do some light stretching.

I LOVE the idea of a weekly exercise thread. Exercise is what makes the difference for me (I have PCOS), and it really helps me to have this sort of exercise-specific accountability and support.

Sheila53
07-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Went to my aerobics class today in the "hot box." Class is held in the gym and it's the only area that isn't air conditioned. They also won't open the doors into the air conditioned area, but they do open two dinky outside doors and she had a fan going. I wonder if I burn more calories sweating so much?!? I can drink my entire day's worth of water in one class.

Am planning on doing my daily stretching as soon as I log off. Need to do it before it gets too darned hot.

karefree2
07-28-2003, 02:25 PM
I walked 20 minutes on the treadmill, rode for 10 minutes on the bike and did the first workout on the Windsor pillates tapes yesterday.

Today I have already done the pillates and plan to walk and ride again today also.

synger
07-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Walked 40 minutes (10 from Metro, 30 at work, couldn't walk to Metro in the afternoon due to rain so took the closer stop).

Lifted weights for an hour (added good mornings and squats to the routine, but I have to re-learn good squat form -- it felt wrong). Then finished with Tae-Bo basic.

A good, sweaty evening, all 'round.

mthrgoos68
07-28-2003, 08:33 PM
Synger, You have just been kicking butt every day on the exercise!!! Keep up the great work girl!!

suzie76
07-29-2003, 12:52 PM
I took a rest day today. I'm sore from the Firm tape.

Sherry

karefree2
07-29-2003, 03:12 PM
I did not do the bike or the treadmill yesterday but I did both today. Haven't done the Pilates today but I plan to do it again tomorrow.

I walked on the treadmill for 20 and biled for 15 minutes.

SuchAPrettyFace
07-29-2003, 09:05 PM
I walked around the MIlwaukee County Zoo today. :)

Sheila53
07-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Too hot to go to the unairconditioned gym to lift weights so we went for a power walk down by the beach. Also got in my 20 minutes worth of stretching before the house heated up to 88 degrees (could have been higher--88 degrees is the highest the inside thermometer read).

Won't be going to aerobics tomorrow because it's in the only unairconditioned part of the YMCA, and it just gets too hot. So it will be another power walking day.

suzie76
07-30-2003, 07:39 AM
my back is acting up, so I can't exercise for few days (per my chiropractor)...I'm depressed about it!

sherry

synger
07-30-2003, 08:16 AM
I really love how people report the "normal" things they do for exercise -- walking on the beach, shopping, going to the zoo. It's a real change from most boards I've been on where if it's not a class or the gym or a video tape, it's not "exercise".

I find it very encouraging in my own struggle to incorporate more activity into my daily life.

Yesterday I walked (to/from Metro 10 minutes each, 30 minutes hallwalking, five minutes up stairs interspered in there somewhere), and spent about an hour gardening. Man, that gardening burns up calories! And working on the hill in our front yard always tasks my calves and ankels something fierce.

The soreness from lifting on Monday is almost gone, so I'll probably lift again tonight. 'Sides, Gem is at Grandma's tonight, so I have the whole house to myself until 9.

mthrgoos68
07-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Synger, the house to yourself!!! Tell me more, what is that like?!?!!? I count my blessings when I'm down to 3 or 4 of the kids home, but a house to myself would be too good to be true!

rochemist
07-30-2003, 12:29 PM
Need to catch up! Swimming and walking everyday over the weekend. Last 2 days at work have turfed me but I have hit 10,000-11,000 steps everyday. Today Iam taking it easy. Tommorow a no excuses FBWO!

Miss Chris

karefree2
07-30-2003, 05:20 PM
I did pilates this morning and did 20 minutes on the treadmill and 10 minutes on the bike this afternoon.

SuchAPrettyFace
07-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Going to attempt roller skating tonight. Tomorrow I could be posting as SuchASmashedUpFace, hahahahaha stay tuned.

gonzostar
07-30-2003, 06:05 PM
last night i did as 45 minute power walk on a park trail. i got a little sweat going on, too.

synger
07-31-2003, 07:57 AM
Roller skating sounds like so much fun! I used to skate when I was much younger. But I, too, feel like I have to wait until I "lose enough weight" to try skating again. It IS on my agenda, though. /grin

For me, it's not that I'm too heavy to be seen doing it. It's more that I don't think my ankles can take it right now. That, and I know how hard it is for me to get up off the floor as it is. I can't imagine doing it on skates!

Yesterday I walked 40 minutes (10 to/from Metro, 20 hallwalking), lifted for about an hour, and tried a yoga routine from tape.

Yoga was rather disappointing, since a number of the positions I couldn't even approximate. Not because I'm not limber (though I'm not) but because my belly was in the way. It's impossible to pull my knees to my chest with 100 pounds of fat cushioning that area. But I did what I could. THank goodness for yoga bars and straps to help with hard positions!

synger
07-31-2003, 08:44 AM
I posted this on the Ladies who Lift forum, but thought my friends here might be interested, too. This is the breakdown of my basic lifting program.

I do an all-over routine, rather than splitting it into Lower Body one day and Upper Body another. As I've said, I'm still working into it again. I'm not as sore afterwards as I was after the first day. I'm doing more stretching between sets and after lifting, which I think helps a lot.

Best part:

Laying down on the bench before doing the dumbbell bench press/pullover combo, and stretching out my empty hands wide and down on either side and feeling the stretch through my chest and arms. It feels SOOOOOOO good!

Worst part:

Failing early on my chest presses and wall pushaways because I did them in the wrong order and my arms are too tired to keep good form. Next time I need to remember to do chest stuff after back stuff but BEFORE arm stuff!!

--------------

Here's my basic routine, give or take (this is from memory, but I think I've got them all). I don't do a lot of ab stuff, since I focus a great deal on my abs while doing these moves. I can feel them strengthening. Eventually, I'll need to add a specific ab bit, I know. They're grouped in the combos I do. I'll do one set of one, then one set of the next, then the second set of one and the second set of the next. I group them so I'm using the same dumbbell weight, or I'm in the same position (laying down, bent over, sitting on the bench, etc.).

If you're not sure about a particular exercise, see the illustrations at Dr. Squat (http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewarticle&articleID=56) .

WARMUP, LOWER BODY, ABS

Dumbell swingthrough (2/8 @ 16 lbs.)(like a squat with a dumbbell in your hands, swinging it between your legs, then up -- a very nice "warmup" move.)
Side bends (2/8 @ 16 lbs.)

Good mornings (2/8 with the unweighted bar -- still trying to get my shoulders to open up enough that I can hold the bar more safely for longer)
Squats (2/8 with the unweighted bar)

CHEST

Bench press (2/8 @ 10 lbs. on the bar (not sure how much more the bar is))
Wall pushaways (303 pounds (body weight))

BACK,SHOULDERS, ARMS

Dumbbell bench press (2/10 @ 8 lbs.)
Dumbbell pullover(2/10 @ 8 lbs.)

Dumbbell bentover rows (2/10 @ 8 lbs.)
Dumbbell bentover extensions (2/10 @ 8 lbs.)

Lateral raises(2/8 @ 8 lbs.)
Seated dumbbell press(2/8 @ 8 lbs.)
Tricep overhead press(2/8 @ 8 lbs.)

Dumbbell seated bicep curls (2/8 @ 16 lbs.)
Dumbbell inner bicep curls (2/8 @ 16 lbs.)

Lat pulldown (2/10 @ 40 lbs.)

mthrgoos68
07-31-2003, 08:55 AM
No, don't wait to try skating! It is great!!! I started taking my kids to the roller rink this summer and we have so much fun!! I usually skate even more than they do and I just love it.

gonzostar
07-31-2003, 03:30 PM
another power walk last night! 1 hr this time!

synger
08-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Yesterday I did two hallwalking sessions, 25 and 35 minutes. Last night I did the first section of Kathy Smith's Latin Rhythm Workout. It's a warmup and "basic" steps. Then there's an advanced portion that I've never done, and a cooldown/stretch.

It sure works the calves! They were really tight afterward. And today my ankle aches due to tendonitis. So I think that tape'll go back on my "wait a while" shelf.

I really wanted to do Donna-Mite, 'cause it's a longer tape and I get so involved in the steps that I don't realize the time has flown by. But I couldn't find it.

I've ordered Bellydance Slim Down, Pilates for Dummies, and a stretching tape. They should arrive by my birthday (the 10th). I'm really excited about the bellydance tape, since I've taken a couple classes a while ago.

I'm also excited about the stretch tape , which has three sections -- one standing, one seated, and one on the floor. My biggest problem with most cooldown/stretch bits is that you have to get down on the floor, and it hurts my knees so.

SuchAPrettyFace
08-01-2003, 10:40 PM
2 mile power walk :)

suzie76
08-02-2003, 08:06 AM
synger,

What stretching tape did you get? I"m thinking of ordering Tamilee Webb's Stretch for Beginners. I've read great reviews of it. I like the blurb on the box that says something like if you're not flexible enough for yoga, etc....I may order it soon.

Take care-and you're doing GREAT with your exercise! My back is starting to feel better, so I might do something light today.

Sherry

LighterLisa
08-02-2003, 10:33 AM
I did well with exercise this week but since I've started exercising regularly and doing different things daily, my weight loss has really slowed down. Don't get me wrong, I am losing 1 to 1-1/2 pounds per week but before exercising I was losing 2 to 4 pounds a week (with my weight being so high I thought I would lose a bit more per week). Two weeks ago at WW, I lost 3 pounds in one week and the week before that WI I ate over my points every day.

I am wondering, can you really not eat enough to lose weight?

Lisa.

Inca's Momma
08-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Yes Lisa if you do not eat enough your body will go into "starvation mode" and hang onto the fat for fuel.

suzie76
08-03-2003, 09:50 AM
Saturday I did two mile WATP

sherry