Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/175/145

Height: 5'4

Default Salad Dressings at restaurants

I've been going out to lunch with friends a lot these past couple of weeks and don't know what to do about the salad dressing situation. I always order a salad (or the healthiest thing on the menu) but I know more times than not that they will not be IP approved. Any suggestions? I've heard of the Walden Farms dressing packets, but am not a fan.
cdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

If it's not a fast food restaurant, ask the wait staff to bring you a couple lime quarters (less tart than lemon and more interesting on a salad) and a cruet of olive oil (which I'm sure they have in the kitchen.) Not thrilling but it works, just make sure you change up your protein once in a while so you don't get bored, one time chicken, next time shrimp, etc. You can also ask for Tabasco sauce to shake on your salad or Cholula or Frank's or get a little tiny dish sent out with Dijon mustard in it & mix up your own dressing at the table. Also, you can order steamed chicken or shrimp or beef and veggies at a Chinese restaurant VERY easily and it's all on plan with some chili garlic sauce & soy sauce if you are tired of salads at lunch all the time. Just switch out your lunch for your dinner - using a packet at suppertime.

Last edited by canadjineh; 08-05-2014 at 07:20 PM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #3  
restart 5/27/14

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawg0 View Post
I've been going out to lunch with friends a lot these past couple of weeks and don't know what to do about the salad dressing situation. I always order a salad (or the healthiest thing on the menu) but I know more times than not that they will not be IP approved. Any suggestions? I've heard of the Walden Farms dressing packets, but am not a fan.
I have had the same concerns. I have just ordered italian and know full well that it isn't on plan. I have also done vinegar and oil but i'm pretty sure they aren't giving me olive oil. That being said I have just decided to try my hardest not to eat out until I reach goal. Boring, because I love to go out.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #4  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawg0 View Post
I ask for a small dish along with their vinegar and olive oil. I put a few teaspoons of vinegar in the dish with an equal number of spoonfuls of water. Add some splenda or I have a container of liquid stevia in my purse - for this small amount of dressing, 1 or 2 envelopes (check the taste - you control how sweet or tart you like it), give it some salt and pepper, and then I use the mixture on my salad. Personally, I love it this way. If I have not had my oil for the day, I add the IP oil dosage to the dressing, but to be honest, I love it without the oil.

Any restaurant should have oil and vinegar and a small dish. This works great for me under any circumstances, and I think it tastes delish. My mom used to fix cucumbers and onions with this same dressing, only she used sugar, of course.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #5  
Started IP 1/30/14

S/C/G: 281/173/165

Height: 5'5"

I keep a small container (from the Container Store) of olive oil in my purse, along with my salt. I use that when we go out, which we do fairly often. I've found that unless you're at a nicer restaurant, they may not have olive oil. Alternatively, I've also just asked for lemon slices - lemon juice and salt on a salad is actually quite refreshing. I'll have to try lime, though, too!
Peppertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/182/165

Height: 5"4'

I also really struggle with this. I think I will try the lemon or lime.
Mad4Lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #7  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

I know you said you are not a WF fan...my fave are C hipotle Ranch, Asian Ginger Sesame and Creamy Bacon Ranch (maybe worth a try if you haven't had them yet). I pour a little into a snack-sized Ziploc baggie for eating out. I also carry a few packets of Gulden's spicy mustard to use on salads in a pinch.
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote