Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #1  
Melissa

S/C/G: 250/229/175

Height: 5'6

Default Back at Square One with my Band...

Hi everyone! My name is Melissa. I was banded by Dr. Zapata in Monterrey, Mexico back in the spring of 2010. This is a bit long, but I gotta get it out... Maybe it'll help people who end up in my situation. Who knows?

Unfortunately, I went into the surgery with a HORRIBLE attitude. I mean... I didn't REALIZE I had a bad attitude. But, I just sat back and expected my band to do ALL of the work for me without me actually making any changes. So... I didn't change. At all. If I ate too much or too fast, I just threw it up. No big deal, right? Of course... I wouldn't even admit that to myself. I, for the LIFE of me, couldn't figure out why I was sick EVERY SINGLE TIME I ATE!

In spite of all of that, I DID manage to lose about 60 pounds, but... Because of the vomiting (that again, I just couldn't make sense of) my band was ultimately drained and I was diagnosed with gall stones and had my gall bladder removed to help with the constant sickness. Lo and behold, I had my gall bladder removed last Thanksgiving (2013) and the vomiting didn't even slow down. Stress made it worse. I'm currently in nursing school and I WAY know about stress.

We had finals a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't focus to study because I was literally throwing up everything I put in my mouth. So... To try to take my mind off of my stomach pain and puking, I switched myself to a liquid diet. That lasted from Saturday night until my final Wednesday morning. Amazingly, I felt a lot better. I wasn't throwing up. My constant sinus pain-- apparently the result of reflux while I was sleeping that was burning my sinus cavity-- vanished. I DID NOT DO THE LIQUID DIET FOR WEIGHT LOSS. Remember? I was in denial. My band was just broken. It did nothing. Who the heck knew why I always threw up? Maybe I had stomach cancer... (LOL I swear I'm not usually so melodramatic)

When I started eating solids again, I was reluctant. I felt a lot better and was kinda sad to think I'd be giving it up. So I did was professional students do. I researched. Guess what? People who don't respect their WLS and don't change their habits tend to have the issues I was having. A more. And giving my banded stomach time to heal with no puking allowed my band to actually make its presence known. So, I figured what the heck...

I started back like I had just had surgery. Soft foods eaten slowly. No drinking with meals. Smart food choices. You know.... All the stuff I was meant to do the FIRST TIME around. And holy crap, it's like I've actually had WLS. Even with an unfilled band. I have restriction. I'm content with a cup to a cup and a half of food. I haven't thrown up in weeks. I've lost 20 pounds. Head hunger exists. I don't like it, but I can cope. Because dang it, I paid for this surgery and even if it was 4 years ago I'm gonna get my money's worth!

So, that's where I stand. That's my story. And I'm back. And this time, dang it, I'm gonna do it right!

~ Melissa ~
BamaGalRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

It is a tool! I was banded in February of this year! Your post helps.....I have a friend who is in time out because of the throwing up and it burned her esophagus but she has lost 162 pounds. I hate throwing up but whenever I feel out of control, I revert to the liquid diet. I get more support and knowledge from here than I get from the support groups at the Bariatric Center. Keep posting!
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

Melissa - i don't know whether to laugh, cry, or just slap you upside the head!!!! It's amazing what going back to basics can do, isn't it?

I'm much farther out than you are [gastric bypass], but starting in about 2011 or so, I started throwing up CONSTANTLY - from stress. lots of stress. more stress than anyone should have to tolerate. I lost 90 pounds [woo hoo????]. But i gotta tell you that i was NOT trying to eat around the surgery. I've managed it very well for years, and it was really hard to deal with all the dehydration and stuff!

So, on April 2 this year - just a couple of months ago - i was admitted to the hospital in HORRIBLE pain - and an emergency gall bladder surgery. the doc said that it was one of the worst that he's ever seen. because of the surgery, i lost more weight! [yay!].

But this past week, it's been harder to eat, harder to keep food down, so what have i done?? I've gone back to PROTEIN SHAKES. one a day. it's a start. And plain water. there seems to be something about lemon in decaf iced tea that's annoying my pouch. softer food.

things are staying down better.

soooooo, let's pat ourselves on the back for a second or two [not longer!], because we're going back to basics and it's WORKING.

and i gotta confess that THAT's one of the reasons i had the surgery in the first place. It's a tool that keeps on working - as long as I work with it.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #4  
Melissa

Jiffypop, EXACTLY! It's a tool that keeps on working (if we work too). That was why I chose it, too. I just hate that I had such weird false expectations of it! LOL Really and truly, I don't even think I had false expectations of it. I had false expectations of myself. I never had admitted, even to myself, that I was a food addict and that I had NO control over my eating habits-- nor, to be frank, did I even realize JUST how badly I ate. What an eye opener to finally realize all of these things.

I really think that now that I KNOW I have issues and I can identify them I can start the real journey. You're an inspiration, though!! Holy cow you've lost a lot!! Congratulations!! Wow!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #5  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies,

I'm still pre-op (in the process of losing the pre-surgery weight that my surgeon and insurance require).

I just wanted to let you know that I am learning SO much from all the experiences (positive and negative) shared on this 3FC WLS forum! I really believe that all I'm learning is helping me make this decision and go into the surgery with my eyes wide open. I don't think this is a "magic pill" that will make me lose weight and keep it off forever without any effort on my part.

I just want to thank everyone in this group for sharing. Your challenges and successes help us all.

With gratitude,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #6  
Melissa

Michelle, good luck on your journey!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #7  
Releasing the inner hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
But this past week, it's been harder to eat, harder to keep food down, so what have i done?? I've gone back to PROTEIN SHAKES. one a day. it's a start. And plain water. there seems to be something about lemon in decaf iced tea that's annoying my pouch.
Jiffy, how are you feeling? If you are still feeling poorly, have you considered a doc appt.?
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

Oh Jen. I can't begin to tell you what a lifesaver the protein has been! I've had more energy, which means I've been able to make better food choices, to sleep better, and most important, to keep food down!

It's been a tough combination, between the touchy stomach and all the percocet for the back pain. but the worst is over! And I'm ENJOYING my first mug of tea in about 2 weeks.

Still not all that interested in eating, but I went to the grocery store for the first time in 3 weeks [with a list!], and i now have all those basic dairy products [cottage cheese, ricotta, yogurt, cheese] plus some meat.

AND i made some mexican-ish beans in my new little crockpot the other day [delish if i may say so!].

and plans for the stuff i bought: i'm going to take some of the ricotta and make a zucchini, ham, tomato crostata [freezes well], and then with a little more, make some stuffed shells with sauce. and then use the last of it to make some ricotta-zucchini gnocchi [really easy to do]. ALL of this will freeze well.

thanks, Jen. I was thinking of going to the doc if things didn't improve, but THEY HAVE!!! and i've been reluctant to go to the doc because as far as they'd be concerned it'd be the same old same old, with the addition of percocet, and i really didn't feel up to the argument we were going to be having.

I've even managed to eliminate just about all of the percocet, without a lot of pain.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #9  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Jiffy, I'm so glad to hear you're doing better!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote