General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default TMI questions

This is the place to ask anonymous, potentially embarrassing questions, yes?

1 - I am eating high-protein (egg whites, fish, and chicken mostly), low-cal, making sure I get some fiber every day, usually in the form of oatmeal and small amounts of fruit and veggies. I also take a psyllium fiber supplement. Almost every time I pee (which is a lot, as I have also increased my water intake), I also poop. Not much. In fact, often just a very small amount. And it smells kinda funky. (I mean, even more so than its inherent funky smell.) Any idea what gives? (I have taken the fiber supplements pretty consistently for a couple of years, so that's not it by itself.)

2 - I have been exercising pretty consistently throughout my life, and have never had this problem, but... For the last week or so, I have been sweating more easily and I stink. Not just regular - woo! I've been working out - stink. But - I have to carry my gym clothes at arms' length back to my car after I shower to avoid vomiting - kind of stink. I work out occasionally with my husband, and he has noticed the new level of stank too. I also feel much warmer in the gym than usual. Again - any thoughts?
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I eat a lot of fish. I eat a lot of oats. And a lot of salad. And a lot of kim chi (cabbage).

I poo, a lot. (You don't poo much because I assume your portion sizes are small). And it does stink. And is often runny. I also have bad gas, that stinks. I do sweat but I work out loads. I have noticed that can smell quite bad.

My guess is that it's a combination of the protein (probably the fish) and the veggies (especially the cabbage) for me. If I eat a lot of oily fish like sardines or anchovies my skin will actually smell fishy. This is rare but I do notice it.

Saying that, your diet sounds great. I'd stick with it. I am because the benefits of this type of diet are outweighing the costs for me. I never get hungry and get to eat a lot without gaining fat (but it does help me gain muscle with my weightlifting). To lose weight I would just eat smaller portions like it sounds you are doing.

Last edited by IanG; 07-23-2014 at 08:34 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
This is the place to ask anonymous, potentially embarrassing questions, yes?

1 - I am eating high-protein (egg whites, fish, and chicken mostly), low-cal, making sure I get some fiber every day, usually in the form of oatmeal and small amounts of fruit and veggies. I also take a psyllium fiber supplement. Almost every time I pee (which is a lot, as I have also increased my water intake), I also poop. Not much. In fact, often just a very small amount. And it smells kinda funky. (I mean, even more so than its inherent funky smell.) Any idea what gives? (I have taken the fiber supplements pretty consistently for a couple of years, so that's not it by itself.)

2 - I have been exercising pretty consistently throughout my life, and have never had this problem, but... For the last week or so, I have been sweating more easily and I stink. Not just regular - woo! I've been working out - stink. But - I have to carry my gym clothes at arms' length back to my car after I shower to avoid vomiting - kind of stink. I work out occasionally with my husband, and he has noticed the new level of stank too. I also feel much warmer in the gym than usual. Again - any thoughts?
It could be that your body is ridding itself of toxins as you increase your water intake....it almost sounds like side effects I've heard from people on a detox cleanse. I'd suggest seeing your doctor!
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #4  
patpatpatpatpat

S/C/G: S: 89kg -- C: 78,8kg -- G 49kg

Height: 145 cm

hah, too funny. I just read up un the sweat thing yeasterday because I have the same thing going.

figured out it is the low carb that causes it. Your body breaks down protein to get glucose, which your body needs for fueling the brain (the fact your body can create this on its own also means why carbs is the only thin one can leave out of the diet without any malnutricion consequences). This releases thingies into your bloodstream. if your liver (I think it was the liver) has an overflow your body just gets rid of whatever is too much by sweating it out.
you can change this either by getting in a little bit more carbs, especially before workout, or actually try getting in more FAT so your body fuels with fat, which according to some also stops the weird smell (most say it smells like ammonia aka a bit like pee)

Since I work out at home I decided to live with it as long as there are no other probs.

bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm
just-health.net/Sweat-Smells-Like-Ammonia.html

btw as far as I have read the 2nd link is wrong about sweating out ammonia. you sweat out something else (forgot what it is-thingies) and some normal bacteria on your skin eat the thingies and turn it into ammonia

Last edited by PatPat; 07-24-2014 at 07:28 AM.
PatPat is offline   Reply With Quote