Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:180s CW:167 GW:150

Height: 5' 3"

Default Finding Motivation

Hello there! I apologize if there are already similar posts like this one, but I would love some advice!

I've had it stuck in my head for the past 3 summers that I am going to lose weight. I start workout programs (c25k, 90 day challenges etc), make progress, get bored, "get busy", and i just stop all together. Each time its when i'm just starting to look/feel better! Ive seen it working, yet I still can't push myself through it!

Even on a smaller scale..I'll start a work out video, get bored halfway through, and just call it a day. A lot of people choose work out buddies to motivate each other, but i've always been a private person so ive ruled that out.

How do I motivate myself through this?

Thanks yall
Janelle
Janelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Height: 5'5"

I think you may have to try different things until you find your motivation. I personally enjoy group fitness classes, it's pretty much the only way I will workout unless my husband want me to workout with him. When I have to do weights or something like the treadmill alone, I find that I really struggle to get through my workout. I have done the workout videos and home and they really bore me, so I understand what you mean. Good luck
ShaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #3  
looser

S/C/G: 185/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

make small goals like after each 10lbs lost you will treat yourself with something. Like nice haircut, or something you really want for your house
unwanted37lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #4  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't mean this to be harsh at all, so please do not take it that way. However, you need to get past needing motivation. One of my favorite sayings is "Motivation only gets you as far as the start... Dedication is what takes you to your goal."

So, what you need to do is commit to the workout. Put it on the same level as something you just do every day, like brushing your teeth. Don't make it an option, just make it part of the day. That's not to say that you have to stick with the same workout every day for the rest of your life. If you are bored with a workout video, get a different one, or maybe go outside walking instead. It is good to shake it up.

Good luck!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #5  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Think about what it is you want to accomplish, whatever that is is the reason to work your program.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

^^^ I Agree. I tried walking for 6 miles a day and i felt great but my weight came to a complete halt so i stopped. That was 7 months ago. I do move a LOT more than i did before but its not intentional exercise. Getting to my goal is my main objective right now and my WOE is the reason for my progress.

Now once i am at or below goal then i will start focusing on strength training.

I am not saying to not do exercise cause its great but if you don't want to then don't and just focus on your WOE.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 07-12-2014 at 08:56 AM.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You got some great advice above. I'd just like to add one thing about quitting.
Whenever you start to give up, think about this: one year from now, you can be the same as you are now (or heavier) or you could be feeling great in your own body. The time will pass either way, but what you do with that time can have a huge impact.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #8  
Refreshed

I'm pressed for time, so this may be messy.

One of the things that has really helped is to watch YouTube videos about weight loss, exercise, and health. I have found watching videos so motivating, even if I don't have the same goals as the person in them.

This forum helps, it does, but I've found that I get a lot more motivation out of watching people live this life in front of my eyes, not just talking about living this life. The visual is very helpful for me, not to mention, just reading or watching videos about exercise and health keeps me more focused.

I have started to view this journey as somewhat of a job; something I need to take seriously and something that requires a lot of my focus. I wouldn't just give 50% at work, I need to give my all to this (my health!) and that means continued education, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaMac View Post
I think you may have to try different things until you find your motivation.
This worked for me. I had to keep trying different things until I found things that worked for me, not just exercise but eating. I felt silly trying different things, but finally, something clicked and the weight started to come off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwanted37lbs View Post
make small goals like after each 10lbs lost you will treat yourself with something. Like nice haircut, or something you really want for your house
I think this is great advice, but don't be discouraged if this isn't motivating for you. It isn't for me, for some reason, but I just keep trying to find things that help keep me going.

Last edited by Durian; 07-12-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian View Post
I'm pressed for time, so this may be messy.

One of the things that has really helped is to watch YouTube videos about weight loss, exercise, and health. I have found watching videos so motivating, even if I don't have the same goals as the person in them.

This forum helps, it does, but I've found that I get a lot more motivation out of watching people live this life in front of my eyes, not just talking about living this life. The visual is very helpful for me, not to mention, just reading or watching videos about exercise and health keeps me more focused.

I have started to view this journey as somewhat of a job; something I need to take seriously and something that requires a lot of my focus. I wouldn't just give 50% at work, I need to give my all to this (my health!) and that means continued education, if you will.

This worked for me. I had to keep trying different things until I found things that worked for me, not just exercise but eating. I felt silly trying different things, but finally, something clicked and the weight started to come off.

I think this is great advice, but don't be discouraged if this isn't motivating for you. It isn't for me, for some reason, but I just keep trying to find things that help keep me going.
Most definitely. I watched this the day before i started and was very inspirational. Still watch it every now and then.

500 Before and After Weight Loss Pictures! Amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrDpEI9FpZ0

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 07-12-2014 at 10:07 AM.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #10  
Harness that energy.

S/C/G: 164.5/147.7/135

Height: 5'4"

About to head to sleep.......so....hungry. Want muffin.
LilDazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Another type of visual motivation...search youtube for weight loss affirmations...

Affirmations for Weight Loss: http://youtu.be/Zm4oMgtsCrI

Another that I like better. The person who made this one has a website with her story and how she used the affrimations to lose a lot of weight. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bXswxSSEyHs

Last edited by mariposssa; 07-13-2014 at 04:44 AM.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #12  

1) Join a calorie counting site and add a bunch of people- other people's posts can be SUPER motivational (I suggest myfitnesspal.com , that's what I'm on- feel free to add me, I'm XxAllieBxX )

2) Thinspo- slang for thinspiration- just google it. It's a bunch of pictures of skinny people- just imagine yourself like them, then look in the mirror.

3) Look at pictures of yourself at your starting weight. Remind yourself of how far you've come, and you certainly don't want to go back to where you were!
JoggerGirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote