Support Groups - Steel Magnolias #85

View Full Version : Steel Magnolias #85

gma22
07-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Good morning to you all. Another sticky, sticky day here. We are definitely stuck in the 90's now, which is ok but the humidity drives it up over 100. I am glad Jack is not working outside lately or in the blower building, which is below ground and no AC.

Going to finish up the house with the dreaded dusting today then start it all over again in a couple days. I have a load of laundry in right now and it sounds like it is about done and ready to go into the dryer.

I ordered a pair of flat heeled black dress shoes and a couple pair of Clarks thong type sandals and a new handbag a couple days ago and looks like they have shipped. I bought a cute pair of navy and white ones that are nautical looking and all white ones since I don't have any white sandals. I just threw in the handbag because I an a handbag junky. I also ordered purple glitter, multi glitter and a golden yellow polish and can't wait to try them out. I think I will take the yellow next nail day and have them put that on.

I am making chilimac for dinner tonight though it has no beans it in. Jack won't eat chili or this with beans. This is pretty simple and not really chili anyway. I used 90% gr sirloin, tomato sauce, onions and spices and that's it pretty much. He doesn't like tomato pieces so I don't use canned tomatoes or anything like that. I will make us each a nice salad though he will probably eat just cucumbers and onions with ff Italian on it, which he prefers. He eats a slice of garlic toast, I bypass that for fruit instead. I am having some fresh cantaloupe.

Maggie: Sorry I didn't see your great loss. WTG!!!

Jean: You need to find some kind of cloth bag to stick the whole thing in and sit it beside you when you knit. I don't blame you, I think I would get bored with it too. My niece FB messaged me a bunch of questions about knitting the other day. She says she needs a hobby and wants to start knitting again. She is making a blanket so we shall since since she is a newby and wants to do stripes.

Everyone have a great Thursday. Faye

Jean
07-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Good Morning! It's another cool, sunny, no wind, morning in my corner of the world. Plan for the day is to research cookie recipes, make a list, and head to the store. Will make one kind today, one tomorrow, and one either Saturday or Sunday. I need them for a meeting on Monday, so for once will be ahead of the deadline! :cp: I'm sure I can find some laundry to do if I look around.

"Gma," thanks for starting the new thread. :D I can't help but wonder when our hot weather will surface. We usually have a couple weeks of 90+ but it's usually been here and gone by now. Crazy, crazy weather! :dizzy: I have several pair of Clark's thong sandals in different colors; for once they carried the same style over from last summer. I really like them. How many handbags do you have? ;) I have several that I don't use any more, and they are headed to the SOS Store. I started out keeping the yarn and afghan in a small Rubbermaid box, but now have it in a larger square paper box from the church office. If I leave it on the floor one or the other fur person thinks it's a marvelous place for a nap. I sit it on a footstool when I'm not working on it and then they leave it alone.

I need to get my day going. Have a great day and enjoy a terrific Thursday! :wave:

gma22
07-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Good morning to you all. Yippee it is Friday which means one week closer to our trip. We are actually leaving on Thursday morning in Sept, but breaking it up into three days as it is easier that way.

Kelly and Tom leave today on their cruise. Their 17th wedding anniversary is tomorrow so they are on a 4 days Bahama cruise. The mother in me is nervous having T as the house by himself. He won't get into trouble, I just worry about someone breaking or whatever. In this town you never know even in the ok parts of town. We are taking him to dinner tonight for his birthday, which was the 25th and I am just giving him a card with a $100 in cash in it.

Today is a quiet day around here I think. I got caught up in stuff and never did get the downstairs dusted so have to do that today. Other than that not much else to do except do up dishes from breakfast and lunch.

Jean: I have probably 50 or so. I love handbags what can I say. Some of them I bought and never use because they are too small, but I keep them just in case I have an occasion when I want something small. I have this really cute one Jack bought me several years ago from a mall kiosk. It is totally square like a box, pink plaid cotton with tiny red lady bugs on it and it has fuzzy stuff around the top. It is brand new because it is so small inside you can hardly carry anything, but I just cannot part with it as it is just too cute. Most of my usable bags are huge. I mean like 16-19 inches wide huge. I carry all kinds of stuff in them including my knitting, Ipad and such that they are convenient. I like what they call hobo bags best. Here is the one I just bought. It came in 4 or 5 colors, but I decided on this one as I don't have a bag this color. :lol: Wonder why cats like yarn so much. I guess it is just tempting it sticking out from a ball down to your work and looks like fun to paw at.

You all have a great weekend. I have a mall walk sometime this weekend, a grocery run and have to go to the Apple store and take in my Ipad. The screen is jumping all over the place ie I may be reading a book and it jumps three pages ahead or back or may be at a website and it jumps from the top to the bottom of the page. Everything I googled said to take it in since it is under warranty. :wave: Faye

Jean
07-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Good Morning! It's a cloudy cool morning in my corner of the world with just a tiny breeze. The weatherman keeps saying we are going to get "severe" storms, with hail, today. I hope not as our crops are looking good, except for the flooded fields. My last tray of cookies is baking. I will frost them this afternoon after I do cat chores. One more cookie batch tomorrow and I'm ready for Monday. :)

"Gma," Happy Anniversary to Kelly and Tom! Are Tom's parents still living across the street from them and/or does Thomas know neighbors well enough to ask for help if needed? I always think of electrical or plumbing snafus. I have a clutch purse made out of snake skin; :hyper: it's black and white. Bob sent it to me when he was Vietnam. I really like the one you chose. :yes: Does it have a center zipper? That is a biggy for me because my purse usually ends upside down on the car floor quite often. Hope the Apple store can fix your iPad! Enjoy your mall walk this weekend.

The timer is going to buzz so I better be ready. Enjoy a fantastic Friday and be thankful for your many blessings! :wave:

gma22
07-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Good morning gals. I have the ac off at the moment, but it won't be long and it is going to have to be turned on. We are supposed to be 95 today.

We are leaving around 10 AM and going to the mall to walk then onto Walmart as I need a few things then back home. Tomorrow I have an apt with Apple about my Ipad.

We had such a great time with Thomas last night. He is such a sweet kid and we laughed a lot. My husband had us in stitches because he ordered a sirloin steak and asked how many sides and she said two and ask him what would he like. He said, "Oh, I haven't looked." So he looks down and sure enough there is a list of the sides. What cracked us up is he ask the waitress if "this" was macaroni and cheese and he pointed to the side which said "mac and cheese!" "lol" He then ask her if he could just have double mac and cheese and she said sure. Thomas and I razzed him all through dinner and when his dinner came Thomas in a straight face pointed to the two containers and said, "This and this is macaroni and cheese." We just broke up laughing including Jack. He is taller than I am now and I kidded him about having to put up with socks every year from me. He said, "They are very nice, but they don't stretch so you make them for me and I grow out of them right away." Knitted socks are made for the particular size of the foot so....Anyway he said he is wearing an 11 and is almost into a 12 so I have to make sure the ones I am making for him will be long enough. :D

Jean: He put my mind at rest as I ask him about eating and staying at the house and going out and running, etc. He told me he is eating at Nana's, sleeping at Nana's and he runs in loop in the neighborhood and, "Nana worries about dad and I running too." :lol: I told him that is what grandmas do. He had ordered pasta and took a lot of it home as it was a huge order and said it would be good for this weekend as he had a long run. I ask him how long and he said 10 miles! So, yes Jean, his other grandparents still live across the street and he is staying there overnight so I feel a lot better about it. I ask him if he ran with his phone and he said he did and I told him I had emailed him my phone number so to put it in his phone in case he fell or and turned his ankle or something and couldn't get ahold of Nana he could call us. We talked about why he gives his mom fits shopping. I thought it was because he is really picky about what he wears but he said no that he hated shopping. So, he isn't going to be calling me wanting to go to the mall. :lol: I ask him about his girlfriend and he said, "No, I probably will never see her again since we will be going to different high schools." Brave kid as he has no one he knows at the new high school. None of the kids he went to jr high were picked for White Station and no one from his boy scout troop either. He went to freshman orientation and really liked it. He is taking all sophomore courses this fall. I asked him when he gets to be a senior what is he going to do if he is a year ahead. He said there are over 30 AP (advanced placement) classes so he is sure he can find something by the time he gets to 12th grade. He has already taken algebra, a year of Spanish, freshman ap English, etc.

Well girls time to go. Have a nice Saturday. Faye

Jean
07-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Good Morning! We have had some rain but the sky is looking lighter/brighter so I'm hoping the predicted thunderstorms will go around our area. Bob is leading a county fair tractor ride over hill 'n dale this morning. He will drop out after lunch and head home so we can make the late afternoon, outside, wedding for the agent in his office. It is on a farm site and will be in the barn if necessary. I'm hoping to go early and get a seat because the bride is expecting 300+ to attend! Have the last batch of peanut butter cookies to make, laundry, and cat chores on my agenda for today. Cat chores and church tomorrow round out the weekend.

"Gma," I've never ordered mac and cheese in a restaurant but notice the grandkids have. It never looks like what I make at home, which sometimes is pretty box simple. :o Glad you had such a good time with Thomas and that he will be "safe" while his parents are away. I didn't realize knitted socks wouldn't stretch. :( I bet his new school has some sort of association with a college or university that advanced students take college classes while still in high school. We do, and several start out as college sophomores right out of high school. It's a good deal because the classes are free unless the student fails the class and then they have to pay for it.

I need to get started on my cookies! Hope the sun is shining on all of you and you enjoy the day! :wave:

gma22
07-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Good morning to you all. It is going to be another hot one here today. I have to take my Ipad in this afternoon and it is over in Germantown so we will leave here a half an hour early.

I got my handbag yesterday. Wasn't supposed to be here until Monday and so the gate was locked. They threw it over the fence. Glad it didn't have anything in it breakable! It is pretty big. I always look at the dimensions, but this sure seems larger than those. It is great though as it is a tote type so it opens up wide, which I like. Easier to find stuff. It actually has a middle zipper pocket and a side zipper pocket and two smaller sewn in pockets on the other side and a zipper on the outside too so plenty of storage. I use one for my lipsticks, glosses and such as I carry around about 6-7 different colors. I also use a pocket for pens and the other pocket I always put stuff I don't use a lot and my keys. I have a small bottle of liquid no soap hand wash on my key ring so it is bulkier. It s nice bright colors though so will be nice for vacation if I take it.

Jean: Yummm, pb cookies. I always liked the pb cookies that had sugar on top. I don't eat a lot of sweets, but occasionally I like them. If you see on FB I shared this post for an in the cup choc chip cookie. It looks pretty good. I could substitute sugar for truvia and even the choc chips for sf chips if I wanted to as you can buy good tasting sf choc chips now. Hope Bob has fun on his tractor trip. :lol: Have a good time at the wedding!

Talk to you tomorrow. Have a dr apt in the late morning so we shall see how that goes. faye[/COLOR]

Jean
07-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Good Morning! The sun has been in and out this morning and the humidity is on the rise. The sun is rising a minute later and setting a minute earlier now. *sigh* We've been to church, changed clothes, and are waiting for the coffee to finish brewing. I have cat chores after lunch and may visit the Hallmark Store as this is the 2014 Christmas ornament weekend. We are counting one person short, at church, tomorrow so hope we balance on the first try. :crossed:

"Gma," I like outside pockets on my purses too. :D One can never have too many pockets, although I have had to search looking for things when there are more than a couple. I didn't put the sugar on my PB cookies this time. It seems like every one is watching the calories. I did see your recipe on FB and wondered if it has to be eaten with a spoon. There was another cookie one a day or two ago, but I think it might have been baked in a regular oven. Most of the tractor ride was in the rain but the guys all had rain suits. Bob's farmer friendly met him at the lunch site and they traded places. Rich drove the tractor and Bob brought Rich's pickup home. As we sat waiting for the wedding to begin, the rain sprinkles fell. A variety of different umbrellas popped up and the photographer was taking pictures of us! In the end the sun peeked through the clouds and the wedding began 15 minutes late. A half hour later there were no clouds in sight and full sunshine. We saw several people we knew so visited and toured the flower gardens while chairs were moved to the tables where we ate. The buffet lines were set up inside the barn which had the tiny lights and lots of wedding and family pictures on the walls.

Coffee is ready so I'm off to read the paper. May you all enjoy a super duper day! :wave:

gma22
07-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Good morning to you all. Already in the 80's this morning and supposed to get more rain today and tomorrow. I think we are supposed to have a couple cooler days then with highs in the 70's.

I have a dr apt today so we shall see how that goes. I haven't been losing like I have liked and have stuck to WW pretty much. I do know the hormone thing wreaks havoc with my losing weight. That and the medications I am on.

Today was weigh day and I am down 4.2 lbs. :carrot:

Took my Ipad to the Apple store and of course it wouldn't act up there like it does at home. She ended up doing a total software re install which dumped everything. The only thing bad is it dumped all my favorites and weight loss and everything in my points diary. I am having to start over putting them back in, which is a pain and of course it took forever to reinstall all the aps, but it did go faster plugging my Ipad into the PC and going through ITunes. So it hasn't acted up anymore so we shall see if that is the problem.

We are having an issue with the garage door and it is driving us nuts. When it gets hot during the day then the thing won't open all the way. We can't figure out why though it has to be something in the electrical part of it the board or something. He replaced a capacitor a couple years ago when he had to replace the springs and it did it after that in the summertime. I told Jack he should unplug it and let it sit unplugged for a minute or so then plug it back in and see if that resets it. I am not putting out more money before our vacation, period!!

Jean: Glad you had a nice time at the wedding. Have you seen the disgusting things that the wedding party is doing nowadays with their pictures? I saw it on FB the other day. They have their pictures taken of their dresses pulled up with their fannies all hanging out towards the camera. A couple of them the girls had no panties on at all. Why would you do such at thing? They even said there were kids at the no panties wedding. I am hoping we don't get a gully washer today. We still have some areas with a lot of water from the last big rain we had.

I guess I should get some breakfast so I can get upstairs and take a shower. You all have a great week!! Faye

gma22
07-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Woohoo got back from dr and I get to drop the insulin. They may put me on Junuvia which may help with my weight loss. She said the insulin could be keeping me from losing weight like I want.

Jean
07-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Good Afternoon! It's been a cool, windy, sunny day in my corner of the world today. We balanced on the first try at church today. There wasn't much so it didn't take long. I picked up the gift shop money and Bob made that deposit on his way back to work after lunch. Went to the P. E. O. meeting this afternoon with my cookies. Have cookies left over to put in the freezer. Ick! I have a deli pizza to bake for supper and plan to spend the evening camped out in front of the tv.

"Gma," :congrat: on another GREAT loss this week! You are really on a roll! The BEST news is about the insulin! :cheer: :dance: :dance: I'm sorry about losing all your stuff on the iPad but hope the reinstall fixes the problem. The other day, when I left to pick up Bob, my garage door wouldn't go down. When we got back home discovered the electricity was off. :o It came on just as Bob was calling the electric company. There was some movie (?) on during prime time with nude people running around. The vital parts were fuzzed out but I was sure glad I didn't have kids watching as I surfed channels. I'm glad I don't have to censor programs for kids, some of the violence and sex is awful. Our wedding pictures look just like everyone else's who got married in the same era we did. I will be anxious to see the ones from this wedding.

I need to get the oven preheated for our supper. :T Relax and enjoy your evening! :wave:

gma22
07-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Good morning to you ladies. Our temps are going to be down for a couple days, which is nice but looks like more rain headed our way. We had a thunderstorm here last night and since Rizzoli and Isles is on tonight I hope we don't have another one as it will disrupt satellite more than likely.

I am having to keep track of my blood glucose fasting in the morning and 2 hours after dinner for a week to see how I will tolerate getting rid of my insulin permanently. My blood glucose after eating needs to be under 180 and fasting under 130. Well, 2 hours after eating, which is when you take it, my blood sugar was 104 so I am good for sure. They won't take me off oral meds for a long time I am sure, but getting rid of the insulin is a big deal for me.

Today I will start to clean downstairs again and then do upstairs tomorrow more than likely. Thursday I want to go and get my nails and toes done and get whatever we need from Walmarts.

My shoes should be here today and I sure hope the dress shoes fit and are comfortable. I read all the reviews on them and people praised them including people who have arthritis in their feet and such so hoping they work ok for the cruise. They cost enough so they should feel good.

Jean: We are having meat loaf, scalloped potatoes and salad for dinner tonight. I am going to mix it up early and stick it in the fridge. I have corn to shuck and strawberries to get hulled today to besides getting the house cleaned.

You all have a good Tuesday. Faye

Jean
07-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Good Morning! The sun is shining, no wind, and it's a cold 48 degrees in my neighborhood! :brr: I need to take a check to the hospital and pick up some strawberries for Bob. Otherwise, no plans for the day; there are lots of projects I could work on but will be a "maybe, to maybe not!"

"Gma," I sure hope your numbers stay where they are supposed to be, and you can eventually get rid of all the meds. :cp: Bob is sorting and pitching, in his office, to get ready to exchange offices with another agent. Maybe he will actually be retired by the end of the year! His biggest problem is what to do with all the toy tractors and piece of furniture they are displayed in. They are not toys for kids so needs to either move them home ( :no: ) or find someone to buy them. The only place I have is the entry hall inside the front door. Meatloaf sounds good! :T Wonder if I have time to make one for lunch -- need to get the meat. Hope the shoes fit well and you like them!

I need to get dressed and get moving! Hope you all are warmer than I am, and enjoy a terrific Tuesday! :wave:

gma22
07-15-2014, 03:24 PM
:carrot::carrot::carrot: Pharmacy doctor just called and she got my A1C back from the test yesterday. It dropped again and is now 5.6!!! She took me off the insulin. I am thrilled.

Jean
07-15-2014, 04:49 PM
YAY!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

gma22
07-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Good morning ladies. It is lovely and cool this morning and only going to get into the 70's. I am going to make another stab at cleaning the downstairs today. I totally blew it off yesterday after the pharmacist called. I was so jazzed.

I have a dr apt with gyno on the 30th to get another biopsy just to make sure all things are as they should be. I am probably going to have to go through this over and over again just to be on the safe side I guess. Irritating but what can I do.

They did not deliver my shoes yesterday though they were on the postal truck for delivery supposedly. This is the laziest bunch of people I have ever seen. This happens over and over. The place I bought the shoes said to give it two more days and if they weren't delivered to get ahold of immediately and they would find out why. I know why, the lazy guy didn't want to get out of his truck to deliver the box.

Maggie: I hope all things are ok with Will. We haven't heard from you in several days.

Jean: I looked at your post and couldn't believe it got down to 48 in JULY! brrrr. I imagine you woke up pretty chilly. How much more of the afghan do you have to do? I haven't worked on the socks or sweater in a couple days, but need to get back to that. The sweater I have a long time for, but the socks are for Christmas. I am taking the yarn for Jackson's on the cruise with me, but we have so much planned this year don't know if I will get a stitch knitted. Also, when you go with someone else you spend most of your time with them.

Everyone have a wonderful day. It is about time for me to get breakfast and get started. Faye

Jean
07-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Good Morning! The sun is shining, no wind, and a bit warmer at 50 degrees earlier this morning. Several places set record lows last night. I've been doing laundry and decluttering the "joint" this morning. I can't believe how fast stuff can accumulate. :crazy: This afternoon we are going to Sioux City to do some birthday shopping for Maddy, pick up Kitty litter at SAM's, and then will meet our friends for an early supper. This will be the first time we have been able to get together since they started the brain tumor journey.

"Gma," when you talk about your delivery service, I think of the Fed Ex driver caught, on camera, throwing the tv over the fence. :lol: I hope your shoes arrive today! I probably have about 6" left on the afghan and then the border, which is just a couple times around. I will quit when it is as long as our bed which is a queen size.

I need to do a search for something for lunch. I'm thinking it feels like a soup kind of day. Hope everyone enjoys a wonderful Wednesday! :wave:

Maggie
07-16-2014, 07:03 PM
♪♥♫ GOOD AFTERNOON IN JULY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It has been raining to beat the band here this day. We are in a 7 year cycle and we have never seen it like this for we havenít been here a full 7 years.

I just got back from the dermatologist to have a bump on my back that I didnít know what it might be checked out and possibly be removed. She said if she removed it ~ most of them come back anyway and that it wonít turn into anything alarming. So I opted to not have it removed. She checked me over and said my skin looks good and will see me in a year. All that cooking it with coco-butter and iodine when I was a life guard gave me stuff that has had to be removed through the years. Well I donít plan on being here in a year so I will cancel it later on.

Will still has some more tests to be done for the doctor wants pictures of that small thing that has to removed from all angles. If the doc gets a good picture of it he wonít have to open Will up.

I have just not been on my computer as much as before and didnít get in her like I was doing daily. I'll read all your posts and post again later.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

gma22
07-17-2014, 06:12 AM
Good morning ladies. It is nice and cool this morning and not going to be really hot today either. I am just hoping I can have a nice day without rain.

I am going out this morning and getting my nails and toes done and do a bit of shopping at Walmart for stuff the commissary doesn't have since it is commissary weekend.

I did get the downstairs completely cleaned yesterday so tomorrow will tackle the upstairs. I can then do what we want to do over the weekend including going on Saturday to the mall to walk. I was given a leaflet on the things I should have on hand if my blood sugar drops so I bought two bags of hard candy, one lifesavers and one jolly ranchers as they suggested Brachs, but the store didn't carry Brachs except peppermint, which I dislike. She said something about chocolate candy having fat and because it does it slows down sugar entering the bloodstream, and helping with the low blood sugar. So I will eat something before we go to walk and then take a few pieces of candy in my pocket just in case. What irritated me is she said I could just sit down and be calm and probably it would come back up by itself after I was no longer exerting myself. How nice, but I doubt she would want to sit there sweating, shaking with a roaring headache for who knows how long and wait for it to come back up as she called it. Ahh well, sometimes you have to do what is best for you, not what someone else tells you as long as you don't put yourself in jeopardy.

I did get my shoes yesterday, but he dress pair are going back. I really didn't like the top of the shoe. It is an open weave toe coving the foot back to the instep and the thing is very scratchy. I need something really comfortable to walk around on that ship and these are not it so back they go. I bought silver sandals so will just wear them as I had originally planned. The two pairs of Clarks I bought are great though and I am wearing one pair today to see how they do walking around a lot. I have never had a pair of Clarks not do well though. These seem really comfortable too.

Maggie: Glad everything is ok and you guys are doing ok.

Jean: I know what you mean about clutter. I really hate clutter, but for the time being it has become norm in this house. My computer desk is a mess and when we renovate the house, it goes to Goodwill or whatever and I am buying a regular desk with drawers and a small filing cabinet to put all my folders and such in. Of course the dining room is a complete disaster. I told Jack I want shelving on wheels if we can get it so they can be moved around. I saw a couple on Wayfair that I think would work great for small appliances. Hope your day today goes well and you see a warm up.

Everyone have a good day. Faye

Jean
07-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Good Morning! It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood -- sunny, NO wind, and 70 degrees. I've been to get my nails done and made a dreaded WM trip. There were lots of moms and kids there, so it must have been payday somewhere. Bob was out of shoe polish and that display was almost empty; what few things left were not in any organized order. I noticed they were stocking two aisles with junk. Today is Ridiculous Days here so maybe that is their contribution. They push the self service check outs while the other two had signs of "20 items or less." People with piled high grocery carts were in those lines! On my way out they finally did open two more check outs. That store drives me crazy!

We met our friends (he has the brain tumor) for supper last night. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!!!! We knew that his left side had been affected but didn't realize how disabled he is. His speech is affected and he has no vision on the left side so doesn't see things to pick up, runs into door jams, etc. He is left handed so doing anything right handed is a challenge. They ordered pizza and she cut his into small pieces for him. He had fallen, even though his wife was right there, and had a big bruise on his cheek. She hangs on to him as he shuffles along with a cane. Their house is an older one with the bedrooms upstairs and a few steps to even get in the house itself. I am just sick to think how active he was, and how much their lives have changed over night. He goes back for an MRI on the 30th so we are in hopes it will be good.

Maggie, glad you got a good report from your dermatologist. :cp: I hope Will's surgery will be a simple procedure with a quick recovery.

"Gma," I hope the hard candy will do the trick if you need it. Amanda's mom carries Skittles with her; she said she gets the fastest results with them. However, I've never seen her eat them. I need to get back to sorting and pitching in the bedrooms. It seems like I have a mess in every room as I move things from one room to another. Sorry the shoes didn't work. What color polish did you get today? I looked at polish for Maddy at WM. One was called fuzzy and the sample nails felt kind of bumpy. The polish itself looks like it has teeny tiny flakes in it. :twirly: I picked pink sparkles instead.

I need to put my WM treasures away and think about something for lunch. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday! :wave:

Maggie
07-17-2014, 04:04 PM

It is another wonderful rainy day here in the ♥-Land. I just got back from having lunch with the museum group and it was a blast. We have such fun when we all get together.

The crock pot roast and veggies I cooked yesterday will be great as a re-run for dinner this day so I donít have to think about what to fix for dinner.

Not much happening around here this day. I am going to have fun looking through my new Weightwatchers Five-Ingredient 15-Minute Recipes ~ Summer 2014 Issue magazine type publication put out by Oxmoor House which I picked up from the book store yesterday. The cover has a yummy picture of grilled Sweet & Spicy Glazed Chicken with Confetti Macaroni Salad which I will definitely try. :cp: The booklet is chock full of interesting yummy quick to fix dishes. This booklet will be on display until 8-29-14 if you want to get a copy of just to see what I am talking about.

JEAN That poor man with the brain tumor and his care giver wife. What a deal for them to go through such a change. I do hope they can do Will's surgery the simplest way. :D

DONNA FAYE Hope your keeper shoes do work good for you. got to keep happy feet when you have to do a lot of walking. I love my SAS for every-day wear for they work great for me. I have nice sandals and such for "fancy" wear.

gma22
07-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Good morning to you all. We got some rain last night and I slept so soundly I didn't even hear it, which is very unusual. I even slept through the night not having to get up and go to the bathroom, which is really unusual. :lol:

Today I am going to tackle the upstairs I think, get bathrooms done, etc. That is the plan, but plans can always change. :lol:

I weighed in 3.6 lbs down so am happy with that. I guess getting off the insulin really did work for me.

It is so nice and quiet here this morning. No kids outside, no school buses honking or air breaks, no noisy neighbors. I guess my neighbor across the way got mugged in front of the convenience store yesterday morning. It is only half a block from our condos and he walked over to get cigarettes and came out and the guy got behind him. I guess he shoved him or pushed him or punched him and the guy fell and he stood on him until the police showed up. He is lucky he didn't get knifed or shot, frankly. He is fine though and a real character. He watches our condo for us ie, he makes sure no one is trying to get in, etc and has since they moved in. He is a nice guy, drinks a lot, but is harmless. You should see his wife though. Talk about a hoochy mama! :lol: She is nice to though and they have a disabled little boy that is sweet as he can be.

I wore my new white Clarks sandals and they did great. I walked all over WM. The two parts on the side where it is stitched together rubbed for a bit then quit and they are fine now. These are really comfortable have almost a bounce to them and I hope the other pair are as comfortable to walk around in.

Jean: Boy do I agree with you about WM. There is stuff sitting in the aisles all the time and mostly junk food. It is like being in a maze sometimes, especially is you have someone rude who won't pull their cart out of the way so you can get around them, which happened to me yesterday. She was blabbed to someone behind her and stock still. I kept saying, "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me." I finally got fed up and pulled the front of her cart to the side a bit and she got the message. She gave me a look but didn't say anything. I did tell her thank you even though she didn't deserve it. I had them painted pale pink, but this is a very young girl without her license and just does stuff like painting nails and she did a lousy job. So lousy, I painted my fingernails a coat of a darker pink over the top just to cover up and make it even. The toes are going to have to stay the way they are but the are so far away you don't notice. :lol: That poor man and his wife. It is too bad they can rent him a wheelchair for the duration. It would sure be better for him to be pushed around than walk into things or fall. I will pray for him for sure.

Maggie: Glad things are returning to normal at your house. We are having ham, corn and salad tonight for dinner.

Well girls, I need to go and get myself some breakfast. I am good and hungry this morning having left a couple pts last night. Have a good one this weekend. It is commissary weekend for us and I am walking tomorrow in the mall then going to go to Apple again in the afternoon as my Ipad is still acting up. Faye

Jean
07-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Good Morning! It's warming up and heading towards the mid 80s today. It's cloudy and looks like it could rain. Plan for the morning is a trip to the grocery store. I will be washing all of my china to put back in the new "short" cupboard. I'm sure there is a pile of laundry waiting somewhere.

Maggie, I will look for the WW booklet, but it most likely isn't available here. The confetti macaroni salad sounds interesting. :T Do you have any idea when Will's surgery will be?

"Gma," :congrat: On another 3.6#s gone forever! I wish I could lose a "chunk" at a time. What a scary ordeal for your neighbor! It'd be a cold day you know where before I'd go to that store again. Sad to say, I think people in general are more rude these days. It seems like everyone is so focused on themselves and oblivious to anyone else. I always smile and thank anyone who holds a door, or does something nice, for me. :D My friend, Kathy, made the comment that she "makes" her hubby keep moving because she is afraid he will lose what mobility he has on the left side. I don't know how much longer she can be a 24/7 caretaker. It is definitely wearing on her too.

I need to get dressed and get moving. Wishing you all a "feel good" kind of day, and hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday! :wave:

gma22
07-19-2014, 06:38 AM
Good morning to you all. It is cool here this morning and going to be a nice day I hope. We are going out in a few hours and walk the mall and this afternoon back to the Apple store, but don't know if they can do anything as she didn't seem to be able to fix it last time and it wouldn't act up when she was messing with it. It does drive me nuts though having it skip pages backwards or forwards when I am reading, freezing so I can't move the page, etc. There is something wrong with it because it didn't always do that.

We are having pepper steak with rice tonight. I will probably have salad, Jack said he doesn't want any tonight. We only have a little of the salad mix left so you know he is going to change his mind tonight and we will have to share. He eats mostly cucumbers and onions anyway and a bit of the greens.

Jean: I do hope your friend can maintain what he has, but if the disease is progressing it isn't likely. It will become harder and impossible for her sooner or later poor thing. There is only so much you can do and none of us are younger anymore. I will continue to pray for them. You know, I say "excuse me" a bazillion times a day when I am out and about because I am slower,etc with the cane. People are always very good about saying no problem or whatever, holding doors open for me, etc, but the people that shop at WM are the very worst. I hate the store, but we have lousy grocery shopping here and I don't much care for Krogers either. We have some cheapo trashy stores but I wouldn't ever go in them as they are in roughest parts of town and I don't think they are safe. Besides, they probably have a lousy variety and produce sections.

You gals have a very nice day today and tomorrow. Faye

Jean
07-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Good Morning! It's another beautiful morning in my neighborhood, sunny and no wind so far. The sliding doors are open and the birds are chirping away. I am having a lazy start to my day. I do have a load of laundry in the washer and breakfast dishes in the dishwasher. Plan for the rest of the day is to finish my two cupboard project, laundry, and the afghan.

"Gma," when I was having trouble with my iPad, neither Verizon nor Best Buy could fix it. On the main page, lower left, was the word "private" which I noticed after an update. When I clicked on that, everything worked again! :cp: I hate it when something doesn't work right. :hyper: I have NO patience when that happens. It's a good thing Bob has the patience, in this household, to "fix" things. Pepper steak sounds good! We are having grilled pork chops and sweet corn. I have some fresh green beans too. Enjoy your mall walk today!

I need to get dressed and get my day going. Have a wonderful day and enjoy it to the fullest! :wave:

Maggie
07-19-2014, 03:31 PM

We have been out and about today and it is a lovely day in the 70˚ area. We got home to discover the mail man had brought me the little 5Ĺ x 3in. oblong plastic planter that will work great sitting on the table in the MH with my Aloe plant in it. It came with a seed pack of 6 varieties of Aloe. I prefer the variety that I have growing in a glass pot currently. I will transplant some of what is in that pot into this container and save the seed packet for later planting if I choose. Aloe helps treat more than 250 human health problems and sooths skin including burns, rashes, cuts and scrapes, and acne. It also cleans the air by releasing oxygen and removing carbon dioxide and formaldehyde. I canít remember when I didnít own an Aloe plant and it will be my one plant that I will have in the MH. This afternoon I will be doing a bit of transplanting. :cp:

Nothing much going on around here and the buffalo are all happy and have lots to graze on after all this glorious rain we have been having.

Downtown is blocked off for there is a street fair going on and we didnít go to it for we are not buying anything that they have for sale. :no: Will did just hand me a glass of fresh made lemon~aide that he had bought from some girl scouts that are selling it door to door. Lots of things going on in this town today and the Fair started this weekend also and are set up at the edge of town.

DONNA FAYE That is good exercise to walk in the mall and much safer also. Isn't that just the way of things to only act up at home and once you go to get it fixed it works fine. :o

JEAN Grilled pork chops sound lovely ~ what time is dinner? I will bring a nice green salad.

Jean
07-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Good Morning! The sun is shining and it is getting warmer as the sun moves around to the west side of the house. We never did get any rain last night, and we could a half inch gentle shower. I just filled a box with drinking glasses we got as a wedding gift and never liked them because they tipped over easily, plastic cups, glasses, and glass coffee mugs with advertising on them. I have lots more but all have a special meaning or memory so I'm not ready to part with them yet. The washer and dryer are humming away as I type. I need to keep working on the afghan and also another box from the kitchen. I have several area church or organization cookbooks. I'm not sure I want to part with them yet . . . hmmm, maybe Beth might recognize some of the names in them. :)

Maggie, have fun transplanting your Aloe plant. I didn't know all the advantages of having one of those. Have any of your cats tried to take a bite? I marinated the pork chops in Italian dressing so they were nice and moist. :T Not sure what I'll do with the meat today.

Bob just stuck his head in the door asking about lunch. Rib eye steaks on the grill, a salad, and sweet corn sounds good to me. Hope you all enjoy an especially nice day! :wave:

gma22
07-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Good afternoon girls. We had commissary duty today. It started out quiet, but ended up with lots of people in the store by the time we were ready to check out. Checkout was ok today except the lady ahead of us had 5 kids and the two boys were messing in the magazine rack and in the way and the mother was just chatting away at the cashier not paying any attention to them. I called the boy 5 times trying to get him to move from in front of the checkout so we could put our groceries on the belt and he just ignored me. I was about ready to pop off to his mom when I tried once more with a loud excuse me, which finally got her attention though the boy kept ignoring me. She had to be an officer's wife, enlisted couldn't afford to feed 5 kids. They had this huge cargo type van too.

We finished up and came home and put everything away and Jack took a nap and I washed a load of clothes, shucked corn and put it in plastic bags, did up dishes, etc. I sat down for a bit, but I am going to go and parboil the veggies for pepper steak tonight. I am trying flank steak instead of sirloin so we shall see how it goes. I will probably have a nice salad with mine. We ended up just having sandwiches last night as my back was hurting something awful.

I ordered a couple hats for the cruise. They are sort of a cotton canvas with a wide brim, but not like a floppy hat. I like visor hats, but in the tropics I would get a burned scalp so need to cover the whole thing. I bought one called mist, which I can't tell is very light green or very light blue and your basic white. I have a couple of the straw floppy hats but they are so hot to wear.

Maggie: I do enjoy walking in the mall and since the terrain is even I tend to walk upright and not bend over like walking up hill.

Jean: Enjoy your steaks. I usually only cook tenderloin steak for us because it is lower in fat. I do like ribeye though. We paid to take our friends to the steakhouse on board the ship and they have great steaks there. The only thing I hated was there mashed potatoes which I had last year. They put some kind of pumpkin spice in them and it makes them awful. I imagine I will just go with a baked potato this year.

Well gals, I need to get my veggies going. Have a good afternoon all. Faye

gma22
07-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Good morning to you gals. Looks like more rain for us this week and high 80's overall in temps. Going to be sticky, sticky this week as per usual here.

I have a hair apt on Thursday then going to take the Ipad in on Saturday to have it looked at. It seems to be getting worse and it is driving me nuts. Then next Wednesday is another uterine biopsy. Hope this is the last one for awhile. I have settled down again but who knows what causes it to pop back up. It isn't as bad as it used to be though so hopefully sometime in the future it will all completely stop.

Weigh in day and I am down 2 lbs for the week. I will definitely take that. Just have to keep plodding along. I try to mix up what we are going to eat and not have so much beef, but we had pepper steak last night and Jack wanted sloppy joes tonight so sloppy joes it is. He is down to 215 so he has lost 30 lbs now. He is unbelievable. I told him our next cruise, which won't be until 2016 because we are going to take an 11 day one, he will either have to have his tux pants altered or buy new tux pants whichever is cheaper. He can take the pants back to Mens Warehouse where he bought them and have them altered or buy new ones there too.

I am going to do dusting, ugh, and clean bathrooms upstairs today I think then tomorrow tackle the downstairs. When we start painting and such, I am getting rid of a bunch of this stuff on tables and such. I hate to dust.

Well gals hope you have a good week this week. I am going to play a bit of hidden object game then make myself some breakfast. It is blueberry eggos and fresh blueberries for me this morning. Faye

Jean
07-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Good Morning! The sun is shining, a slight breeze, and the humidity is high. We are supposed to be in the 90s for the next few days. We didn't make it yesterday, which was fine with me. There wasn't much to count at church this morning and I was done really early. I even questioned my watch on the way to the car thinking it needed a new battery. I have a meat loaf dinner ready to pop in the oven, and will count the gift shop money while it bakes. I have gift shop bills to pay and my card order is in so will go back this afternoon and check in the cards.

"Gma," I have told more than one kid to stop doing something in a store, usually WM. Usually they are tearing into games or toys with no parent in sight. That makes me so angry! Hope you like your new hats. I broke down and wore Maddy's at a baseball game this summer. It really made a difference since we were facing the sun. I bought one in Maui and it has a small whale embroidered on it. I was thinking for football games as it seems we face the sun more often than not. I'm not really a hat person. :no: :congrat: On another two pounds gone forever! I've told Beth and Amanda that I don't want anything I have to dust.

I have a luncheon up at the lake tomorrow so I need to do some serious dusting and vacuuming today. Guess I'll get started. Hope you all enjoy a nice day! :D

Maggie
07-22-2014, 01:30 AM
♪♥♫ GOOD EVENING IN JULY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I went with Will for his meeting with the surgeon today that will do the cutting on him to get that little piece of cancer. He is going to do it without cutting him open but make a few slits ~ one for them to get his hand inside. They will be cutting out a section where the cancer is and shorten the intestine in the process to get it tied up to a different place so it will work fine moving the “stuff” along it’s way to be eliminated. The doc said Will will be in the hospital 5 to 7 days. We think Will will be in there for the shorter time. It will all be taken care of on August 5th so Will does have a couple weeks to get ready to go to the hospital. He has an exam tomorrow to get ready for the surgeon to have as best picture as possible.

gma22
07-22-2014, 08:08 AM
PLEASE GO TO THREAD #86 THIS THREAD IS CLOSED