Living Maintenance - Maintainers Moving Their Feet Through the Heat of July

saef
07-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Summer is getting pretty serious out there.

http://media.nola.com/tpphotos/photo/2009/04/2009-crescent-city-classic-5539bff5c05782b0_large.jpg

We're maintainers moving our bodies. Because that's why we've got them. They're not just aquariums for our brains. They're for walking, running, cycling, stretching, lifting stuff and putting it down again.

And we're going to keep moving through July, no matter how high the temperatures climb outside.

saef
07-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Tuesday, July 1:

NROLW 3A, getting toward the end of this phase. I bench-pressed a pair of 30-lb dumbbells today, which I have never done before. But the hardest thing that I did was the series of 90-second planks. By the third and last one, my whole body is shaking slightly and my wrists are complaining.

paperclippy
07-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Oops, posted in the wrong thread!

July 1 mutu w2d2
- mutu core phase 1 x 2
- 20 min walk
- 1536 calories
- carb/fat/protein 55/22/23%
- no desserts or sugary drinks, protein at breakfast

saef
07-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Tuesday, July 2:

45 minute spin class at 6 AM, after stretching and foam-rolling on the floor of the exercise studio room, empty at that early hour. Yes, I am going over to the bright side with the others who use foam rollers, which hurt, but make me feel less stiff afterward.

paperclippy
07-03-2014, 09:45 AM
July 2 mutu w2d3
- mutu core phase 1 x 2
- 20 min walk
- 1629 calories
- carb/fat/protein 64/19/17%
- no desserts or sugary drinks, protein at breakfast

saef
07-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Wednesday, July 3rd:

60 minutes elliptical, the usual, on a morning so humid, the gym's windows were fogged up and sweating. Lots of people with the day off were getting their workout in early, taking up machines that are generally unoccupied.
60 minutes of stretching, mostly, not Pilates, since the Pilates instructor at our gym is out of town over the long weekend.

traveling michele
07-03-2014, 06:20 PM
I got behind with my June logging when I traveled so hopefully I won't do the same in July!

July 1: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 2: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 3: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
3 days
300 minutes

saef
07-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Friday, Fourth of July:

21 minutes on the StairMaster, about all I could manage in the humidity and knowing I had to hurry, get home, shower & change & meet a good friend downtown later in the morning.

Usually I'd be lifting today but I did not have time, and I feel guilty about that, but this friend is only visiting from L.A. for a couple days.

Mudpie
07-04-2014, 06:28 PM
It occured to me that I can now, in the new house setup, watch a DVD while working out. Anyone have any yoga DVD's they would recommend? Not sure where best to post so you'll see this in a couple of places.

Thanks!

Dagmar :yoga:

traveling michele
07-04-2014, 10:46 PM
I got behind with my June logging when I traveled so hopefully I won't do the same in July!

July 1: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 2: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 3: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
3 days
300 minutes

July 4: 100 minutes bikram yoga... Went to the earlier of only two offered classes rather than their usual 6.

Totals:
4 days
400 minutes

saef
07-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Saturday, July 5th:

60 minute spin class, with a couple pauses, as a big, strong-looking guy taking spin with his girlfriend for the first time slipped off the bike after the second song, walked to the hallway, slid down the wall, and then lay down and fainted. Instructor jumped off her bike to attend to him, two nurses from the hospital across the street from the gym who were in spin class also got p
off their bikes, and the rest of the class just looked scared while everyone pedaled diligently, even though the Bruno Mars song repeated about three times.
60 minutes Pilates class turned into 40 minutes of stretching with just some Pilates thrown in at the end, since the instructor is away for the holiday weekend.

Edited to add: The guy was okay. Hadn't eaten since 4 PM the day before and apparently blood sugar was way low, and also blood pressure.

neurodoc
07-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Don't usually post here but I just did the best exercise ever. I went with my kids to a trampoline park - a whole bunch of tramps set up in a seamless grid, with more tramps set at an obtuse angle along the sides so you can rebound from the walls. We played dodge-ball and chase for 30 minutes and I was sweating like mad by the end. Can't wait to go back!

saef
07-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Sunday, July 6th:

NROLW3B, with my lat pulldowns now up to 105 lbs for three sets of six reps, better than before, but I can tell I'm not yet strong enough to do a pullup.

Then the HIIT cardio, on which I bonked. I'm asking too much of myself, and I'm still doing cardio on "off" days from the program, which means I don't recover as rapidly. After the first round, I was only able to run at the speeds I'm set for myself for 30 seconds and 45 seconds.

Mudpie
07-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Don't usually post here but I just did the best exercise ever. I went with my kids to a trampoline park - a whole bunch of tramps set up in a seamless grid, with more tramps set at an obtuse angle along the sides so you can rebound from the walls. We played dodge-ball and chase for 30 minutes and I was sweating like mad by the end. Can't wait to go back!

That sounds amazingly FUN Andrea! I love workouts anywhere but a gym. I'll have to Google and see if there's one around here somewhere. I don't have any kids to go with but I used to be really good at trampoline back in gym class.

Dagmar :yay:

saef
07-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Monday, July 7th:

45 minute spin class, hanging around afterward, chatting with the spin instructor, who was talking with me about a client who has a problem with binge eating. I was trying to give her some insight into the state of mind behind the behavior, since it was alien to her. She asked me if I'd ever thought of changing careers to counsel people with eating disorders. I wanted to say, "Well, I'm still working on my own ..."

traveling michele
07-08-2014, 10:56 AM
July 4: 100 minutes bikram yoga... Went to the earlier of only two offered classes rather than their usual 6.

Totals:
4 days
400 minutes

Andrea.... Fun! I would love to do that!

Saef... That sounds like a scary spin class! I've seen a few people faint in bikram over the years and it's always scary. They always call 911 to be on the safe side.

July 5: 30 minute walk to and from gym, 20 minutes stair master, 700 ft rope pull

July 6: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 7: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
7 workouts
660 minutes

saef
07-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Tuesday, July 8th:

NROLW 3A4, the last time I'll do this sequence in this stage. I'm nearly done with Stage 3. And let me tell you, it is a long workout. Lots of overtime work and these long exercise routines are not making me happy.

paperclippy
07-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Saef, if I remember correctly the next stage is a shorter workout.

Not going to try to catch up on recording all the days I didn't record here, since I have it all recorded elsewhere, so we'll start with yesterday.

June 9, MuTu w3d2
- mutu core phase 1 x2
- mutu intensive workout 1
- 20 min walk

That intensive workout kicked my butt! I am so sore today I don't know how I'm going to do it again, much less 4x this week.

krampus
07-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Hi all,

I've been cutting food intake a bit for the past few days, and also maybe scamping more on exercise than I should.

I can't really say my exact workouts for July 1-5, but I almost certainly went to the gym in the morning July 1, 2, and 3. 4 and 5 were rest days.

July 6: I ran about 2 miles in the humidity outside and wanted to die.

July 7: 1.25 miles treadmill running, lat pulldowns, tricep cable pulldowns, DB shoulder presses, KB swings, planks. Moved a bunch of stuff after work.

July 8: 0.5 miles treadmill running, 10 min stair stepper, Smith machine squats, glute bridges with 45# plate, KB swings, KB deadlifts, planks. Moved more stuff after work.

July 9: 10 min stair stepper, DB bench presses, DB tricep extensions, DB push presses, KB swings, 5 min arc trainer, planks, Roman chair leg raises

saef
07-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Wednesday, July 9th:

45 minute spin class, and I felt good, firing on all cylinders, and really into it, maybe because I woke up already feeling overwhelmed with tasks at 4:45 AM, and this helped me release some tension.

traveling michele
07-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Andrea.... Fun! I would love to do that!

Saef... That sounds like a scary spin class! I've seen a few people faint in bikram over the years and it's always scary. They always call 911 to be on the safe side.

July 5: 30 minute walk to and from gym, 20 minutes stair master, 700 ft rope pull

July 6: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 7: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
7 workouts
660 minutes

July 8: no formal exercise... Just lots of walking in San Francisco. Ended the day over 13,000 steps. I'm sure it didn't offset my food choices though!

July 9: I leave for London in two weeks so I'm going to ramp up my workouts when possible. Back to back bikram yoga classes today.
100 minutes bikram yoga x 2

Totals:
9 workouts
860 minutes

neurodoc
07-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Saef, do you know about this group? www.facebook.com/groups/NROL4W/?fref=nf I belong and it's pretty motivating.

saef
07-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Andrea, yes indeed, I belong to it, and I've been posting there recently, too. Indeed it's been a godsend to me, full of helpful tips and commiseration and exhilarating moments.

Oh, and my local Groupon offers include a trampoline room, which made me think of you. Looks like it's A Thing, and I didn't even realize it (not uncommon).

Thursday, July 10th:

60 minutes elliptical, sweat just pouring off me, but a welcome exorcism of extreme work-related tension. This is actually getting easier to do now that I've got a stronger posterior chain, hamstrings and leg muscles. (Tell me again why, stupidly, I never trained my legs and figured cardio had that taken care of.)

Missed Pilates tonight. Was working on a document till 8:30 PM. This was not a good day for me at work, though far worse for my direct report, who went MIA from work for three days. I had to ask HR to call her emergency contact. She's been in bed suffering horribly from an onslaught of Lyme Disease, and wasn't even up to calling in sick at work.

neurodoc
07-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Cool. What's your FB name? Have I ever replied to one of your posts there? I still belong even though I finished NROLW long ago, because I do the NROLL workouts.

saef
07-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Friday, July 11th:

Finished the last workout of Stage 3 of NROLW. I destroyed the treadmill sprints today, a welcome change from this past Sunday, when I last did this workout, and I just bonked completely. This short-legged, dumpy non-runner with the arthritic big toe joints is thrilled to do a 7.0 sprint for one minute straight through.

And Andrea, my Facebook name is my real name, so I'll not share it here, but I am sure you will figure it out. Trying to remember if I've seen you posting in that group. I only remember a couple names from post to post, mostly the experts ... and C--- K---, who shares frequently and more than most.

traveling michele
07-12-2014, 12:53 AM
July 8: no formal exercise... Just lots of walking in San Francisco. Ended the day over 13,000 steps. I'm sure it didn't offset my food choices though!

July 9: I leave for London in two weeks so I'm going to ramp up my workouts when possible. Back to back bikram yoga classes today.

Totals:
9 workouts
860 minutes

July 10: back to back bikram!

July 11: back to back bikram third day running!

Totals:
13 workouts
1260 minutes

saef
07-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Saturday, July 12th:

60 minute spin class, with the young substitute, who threw some Pitbull in with her sad slow thoughtful indie music. She is really trying. And she really is a good instructor, as far as being competent and strong goes -- but she's not catching on or getting any kind of following, and I am sure she feels somewhat hurt by this. She's very intense, sort of inward-looking, whereas the other instructors are more extroverted and have the warmth that I connect with excellent elementary school teachers and nurses and therapists and others in professions that require evidence of empathy. The thing is, you can be athletic, train hard, come up with great routines, but if you haven't got that piece of the puzzle ... I don't know, but I know it's a profession where people have to attract flocks to succeed.

60-minute Pilates mat class. Fuller than it ought to be on a gorgeous hot Saturday in July. And this instructor, too, has completely got "It," whatever that is, a kind of warmth, an expressive personality, a little bit of charisma. Whatever it is that the new spin instructor hasn't got, or hasn't developed yet. And yet I still like this young woman, and I hope she breaks through.

saef
07-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Sunday, July 13th:

First workout of NROLW Stage 4, once again serving a sentence of weighted stepups ... and oh Lord, the 120-second plank.

Managed 15 minutes on the StairMaster afterward, and that's all she wrote. This leg-heavy workout didn't leave me with me much energy for cardio.

silverbirch
07-13-2014, 02:38 PM
oh Lord, the 120-minute plank.

:yikes: Did I read that right?

saef
07-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Birchie, oh dear, oh dear, no, I wrote that incorrectly. It's the 120-SECOND plank., not the 120-MINUTE plank, though honestly, it feels like that at about the 90-second mark. One holds the plank for two minutes, NOT two hours. I would pass out if I attempted the later, which sounds like a punishment meted out to sailors during the Napoleonic Wars.

Monday, July 14th:

45 minute spin class, which I was only capable of doing after stretching hip flexors and ham strings on the floor of the spin room before climbing onto the bike. It's that glute-hamstring attachment that gets me. This is from yesterday's weighted high step-ups and the weighted Bulgarian split squats and the weighted one-legged dumbbell deadlifts.

silverbirch
07-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Phew! That's a relief. I know you're keen on exercise but I didn't think even you would do that! :D

krampus
07-14-2014, 11:12 AM
July 10: rest day

July 11: 20 min treadmill run, 10 min rowing machine, lat pulldowns, planks, Roman chair leg raises. About 2 miles hiking in evening.

July 12: Music festival = dancing a lot

July 13: Vegetable recovery day

July 14: 18 min on treadmill, 2.17 miles.

krampus
07-15-2014, 11:21 AM
July 15: 15 min stair stepper, 100 KB swings, 50 KB deadlifts, planks.

saef
07-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Tuesday, July 15th:

NROLW 4B, first workout in this sequence, welcome back to the deficit deadlift, which I am pretty sure I am doing wrong. This was so wearying, in the humidity, but I felt surprisingly snappy on the treadmill sprints.

saef
07-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Wednesday, July 16th:

45 minute spin class, with confirmation that I am definitely doing the deficit deadlift with bad form, as my lower back is sore. The humidity today was punishing, like wading through soup to get to the gym.

saef
07-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Thursday, July 17th:

60 minutes elliptical, still setting resistance at nine, but finally, after a few years, this is getting routine -- it's doing weight-bearing stuff with my legs that made this change, not incessantly using the machine.
60 minute Pilates mat class, slightly less punishing than usual, could it be because of also doing ab sequence in NROLW as well as two weekly Pilates classes? Hmmm.

saef
07-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Friday, July 18th:

NROLW 4A workout for the second time, upping the weights but dropping the height of the step for the step-ups. I have a sore left hip flexor, or maybe it's sciatica, which made the lateral leg work feel uneven today, much harder for the sore side than the okay side.

15 minutes StairMaster, as this is about all I can do.

saef
07-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Saturday, July 19th:

60 minute spin class, with a couple women bringing their daughters to their exercise class with them today
60 minute Pilates mat class, in which I can feel myself getting better & better, ever since NROLW starting incorporating an abs sequence, so now I am working abs five days a week

neurodoc
07-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Ok Krampus, I'm biting: what on earth is "vegetable recovery day"?

traveling michele
07-19-2014, 11:32 PM
July 10: back to back bikram!

July 11: back to back bikram third day running!

Totals:
13 workouts
1260 minutes

So behind in posting...

July 12: Pilates 60 minutes

July 13: hike 150 minutes

July 14: Pilates 60 minutes, bikram yoga 100 minutes

July 15: bikram yoga back to back classes 2@100 minutes each

July 16: bikram yoga 100 minutes

July 17: two bikram yoga classes, 2@100 minutes each

July 18: bikram yoga 100 minutes, 105 minute walk

July 19: Pilates 60 minutes

Totals:
25 workouts
2395 minutes

saef
07-22-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm still imprisoned at the excessively well-airconditioned Ritz Carlton Hotel in Orlando, spending my days in ballrooms, which sounds romantic but means cloth-covered dividing walls, skirted tables with piles of pens in the middle and brainstorming on white boards. Also watching dynamic speakers using words like EBITDA while holding a clicker in their hands to advance enormous PowerPoint presentations overhead. This event has disrupted my ordinarily well-regulated life, leading to:

Sunday, July 20th:

An incomplete NROLw4B workout without the ab sequence or HIIT sprints, because I had to finish packing and drive to the Park-and-Fly near the airport.

Monday, July 21st:

At the really nice hotel gym, 30 minutes elliptical, resistance at nine, very tough going, and then finishing off the ab sequence left from yesterday

Tuesday, July 22nd:

After maybe four hours of sleep, an unsatisfactory NROLW 4A workout, because of competing with colleagues and guests from the adjacent Marriott for scarce weight-lifting resources. I could see my weakness from lack of sleep in the low weights I was using and also because I got ravenously hungry. I am not someone who can handle fasted workouts.

I have a 7 AM breakfast meeting tomorrow to take my manager and co-team-leader through draft PowerPoint, so I'm not sure about the gym ...

traveling michele
07-23-2014, 12:28 AM
So behind in posting...

July 12: Pilates 60 minutes

July 13: hike 150 minutes

July 14: Pilates 60 minutes, bikram yoga 100 minutes

July 15: bikram yoga back to back classes 2@100 minutes each

July 16: bikram yoga 100 minutes

July 17: two bikram yoga classes, 2@100 minutes each

July 18: bikram yoga 100 minutes, 105 minute walk

July 19: Pilates 60 minutes

Totals:
25 workouts
2395 minutes

July 20: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 21:100 minutes bikram yoga, 60 minutes Pilates class

July 22: 100 minutes bikram yoga, 30 minute walk to gym and 23 minutes stair master there. Last workout before I leave for London!

Totals:
30 workouts
2808 minutes

saef
07-23-2014, 06:47 AM
Wednesday, July 23:

No gym, struggling with this decision (oh the guilt, the second thoughts) as I try to catch up with work in my hotel room before that 7 AM breakfast meeting.

I will not get home tonight from the airport till 10 PM so it's likely I have missed out on any chance for exercise today.

krampus
07-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Ok Krampus, I'm biting: what on earth is "vegetable recovery day"?

Haha, sorry for getting back so late: that translates to "exhausted/feeling poorly to the extent that the day was spent in a nearly vegetative state."

July 18: went to the gym, can't remember what exactly I did, usual stuff
July 19: wedding day for friends. rest day
July 20: ran 3.5 miles on treadmill, DB bench press, DB shoulder press, seated cable row, planks. In the evening went for a walk about 3 miles.
July 21: rest day
July 22: Ran about 2 miles on treadmill, seated leg press, Bulgarian split squats, KB deadlifts, glute bridges, planks, cooldown treadmill
July 23: Ran 1.3 miles on treadmill in 10:00, stair stepper for 5 minutes, DB bench press, DB shoulder press, DB lying triceps extension, Roman chair leg raises

Alexistrophic
07-24-2014, 01:13 AM
*sneaks in* I followed Krampus.... I miss the "Featherweight" chat! Seems like you all are a pretty cool community and really have your stuff together when it comes to being accountable to a routine.

Don't know if I'd call myself a maintainer yet (I'm about halfway to my gw) but I'm looking to set up sustainable behaviors I can follow that will carry me to the next phase of my weight loss targets. I've lost about 15 lbs since this time last summer and am planning the same for this time next summer. The one rule I've followed pretty consistently is "no eating after 8PM" and it's gotten me this far, but I'm pretty sure that I'll need some kind of an exercise to get me to goal.

I don't belong to a gym, but that's no excuse! Hoping I can still post in for what I can accomplish with a yoga mat, treadmill, youtube videos, and the outdoors.

Mudpie
07-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Alexistrophic I do just fine re exercise with the things you listed you have. People CAN exercise without a gym membership.

Dagmar :dizzy:

krampus
07-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Hey Alexistrophic! Glad to see you here, seems like you're doing awesome. Still yoga-ing lots?

July 24: 2 miles on treadmill in 15:37, lat pulldowns, KB deadlifts, planks, 6 min stair stepper cooldown

saef
07-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Thursday, July 24th:

No, I didn't get up at 5 AM and go to the gym, on my additional night at the hotel because of my canceled flight.

But I made that 60-minute Thursday night Pilates class, and had no energy, just going through the motions out of a sense of duty. I am really tired and out of it.

Mudpie
07-25-2014, 06:17 AM
Thursday, July 24th:

No, I didn't get up at 5 AM and go to the gym, on my additional night at the hotel because of my canceled flight.

But I made that 60-minute Thursday night Pilates class, and had no energy, just going through the motions out of a sense of duty. I am really tired and out of it.

I am also at a stage in my life - though this is just a blip in yours saef - where I take days "off" from exercise. I can't take any time off from work but I sometimes do not work out in the morning. This morning I'm going to go and sit in my garden, drink my coffee, and listen to the birds as the dawn creeps in.

Dagmar :tired:

krampus
07-25-2014, 12:06 PM
7/25: Lethargic morning, 20 minutes of cardio. 10 on stair stepper, 10 on arc trainer, and about 4 minutes of planks.

saef
07-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Friday, July 25th:

NROLW Stage 4, Workout B, which was endless, from deadlifts down to abs to treadmill sprints. Saw people walking together on the sidewalk outside the big windows, going to restaurants and bistros, and envied them.

Saturday, July 26th:

60 minute spin class, whew, made it.
60 minute Pilates mat class, tough but doable.

saef
07-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Sunday, July 27th:

NROLW Stage 4, Workout A, again endless. Almost done with this phase, thank goodness, as I'm ready for a change.
15 minutes StairMaster

saef
07-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Monday, July 28th:

45 minute spin class, after a lot of stretching because I felt so sore, contracted and creaky.

krampus
07-28-2014, 11:23 AM
July 26: rest day

July 27: 2.5 miles in 19:00 on treadmill, barbell deadlifts 5 x 5 at 135#, incline leg press, barbell shoulder presses, DB incline bench presses, lying DB triceps extensions, leg extensions, KB goblet squats and one-legged deadlifts, planks

July 28: 2 miles in 15:20 on treadmill, lat pulldowns, Roman chair leg raises. Rushed and sore.

krampus
07-29-2014, 12:04 PM
July 29: Trying StrongLifts 5 x 5 for more efficiency and strength. 10 min warmup on arc trainer, 5 x 5 barbell squats (95#), 5 x 5 barbell rows (55#), 1 x 5 barbell deadlifts (135#), 1 mile cooldown treadmill run in 7:56

saef
07-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Tuesday, July 29th:

NROLW Stage 4, Workout B, for the last time! I'm so ready to finish this stage and move onto the next one. When I have a lot of deadlines & complications in my life, I seem to want a simpler, more mindless workout than this one. But I am determined to finish this program and I am halfway through it.

krampus
07-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Once you finish, for a lifting maintenance program you should totally check out Stronglifts. It does not get any simpler than that.

saef
07-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Krampus, I was interested to see you'd decided to do a program -- I remember that you posted earlier saying you thought you might get better results if you changed it up and tried out more structured workouts. Me, who's following this six-month program -- heck, I envied your spontaneity. But I suppose the grass is always greener ...

Wednesday, July 30th:

45 minute spin class, not easy, but I can definitely see how all the leg work in the NROLW program has helped with jumps and squats and other moves on the bike.

At the gym, I am never able to see myself clearly. I either feel like someone embarked on a Sisyphean endeavor, who works out constantly only to gain weight because the food isn't perfectly in order, compared with the naturally slender women who stand beside me. Or else I feel like a beast, who's stronger than a lot of them because I go to the free-weight section regularly on a mission, training rather than just working out. I need to give myself permission just to be an ordinary person with average aims.

krampus
07-30-2014, 03:42 PM
July 29 PM: Short (2 mile?) hike foraging for chanterelles. Much success.

July 30: 1.5 miles in 11:19 on treadmill. Glute bridges. Planks. Stair stepper.

Already my SL 5x5 plans are falling to sh!t because BF and I are going on a 17 mile Adirondack hike over the weekend and I get my wisdom teeth out Monday.