20-Somethings - Wedding dress won't zip!

View Full Version : Wedding dress won't zip!

KYMommy2011
07-01-2014, 05:10 AM
I bought a size 14 just to be safe. :'( I can't believe how bad I've let things get in just the past 3 months. 3 months ago I was a comfortable 12, and I could squeeze into a 10 if I felt confident that day. And now I guess I'm a 16. I knew it had gotten bad, but this is ridiculous.
I'm so bummed right now. I was so excited when my dress arrived. I pulled it on, and I was blown away how perfect it was, even better than I thought. But then I went to zip and I could only get it about halfway.
I am definitely in the dumps, and feeling like a huge cow. My fiance is no help bc he won't even acknowledge a difference, and keeps insisting I look great (yeah right). I know beating myself up won't help- if it did, I'd be a freakin model right now. But I can't help it.
I don't even know why I'm posting this. I guess I just wanted to rant, maybe some advice about feeling better about myself under the circumstances, or maybe advice about starting this mad dash to zip that I'm now faced with.

maddierep
07-01-2014, 06:35 AM
I can only imagine how disappointing this must be.

How long is it to the wedding? if it's more than a couple of months away then maybe this is motivation.

If you don't have time, then look into alterations. there is no reason you can't look great on your wedding. stay committed to your fitness journey, even if there are snags along the way. Here's my wish for you - to have a fabulous day (and life) because you're getting married to a great person.

nonameslob
07-01-2014, 10:10 AM
:hug: That has got to feel awful. A day you've been excited about for a long time, a dress you've been dreaming of and BOOM. Everything you've ignored you now have to face.

But it's not the end of the world. Hey, it zipped halfway up! That means truly you don't have much farther to go to get it all the way up. How long until the wedding?

Sometimes it takes completely awful moments like this to be the kick in the rear we really need to admit we've let go of our goals. You know, your fiance probably DOES think you look great! I bet you look great! But you can still seek his support in getting to a smaller, healthier version of your beautiful self. I have no doubt you can get into that dress!

Psychic
07-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Sorry to hear about your wedding dress issues. Keeping the pounds off is tough. If you have the time, this can be used as motivation to lose those couple of pounds again.

If you do not have time, I suggest getting alterations made or purchasing a corset.

No matter what, I'm sure your wedding will be great. Do what needs to be done and don't worry too much.

skittlesfirehawk
07-02-2014, 10:24 AM
if there is time then thats your motivation.If there is no time them get the dress altered.

MauiKai
07-02-2014, 11:02 AM
You do know that wedding dresses are typically 1 to 2 sizes smaller than the tag says, right? For example, when I got married I wore a size 8 or 10. I had to order my wedding dress in a 12 to get it to zip.

Psychic
07-02-2014, 12:11 PM
You do know that wedding dresses are typically 1 to 2 sizes smaller than the tag says, right? For example, when I got married I wore a size 8 or 10. I had to order my wedding dress in a 12 to get it to zip.

^This.

When I bought a bridesmaid gown for my friend's wedding (which was cancelled after I wasted money buying a gown), I had to buy a size 16 gown. I normally wear a size 12 in everything. Gowns are notoriously made small.