Exercise! - Recommend Exercise Videos

View Full Version : Recommend Exercise Videos

Jen24
07-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Hi all,
I'm pretty new to these boards. I'm interested in building up my own small collection of exercise videos to have as an option for convenience sake. (I normally go to the gym). Can you recommend exercise videos you own or have tried that are NOT super annoying? With ladies that you can actually STAND? :dizzy:
I've tried a few different ones by checking them out from the library, and so far none of them are ones I would buy. I'm interested in having a little of everything, aerobic/cardio, toning, etc.
Can't wait to hear all your great ideas!
Thanks in advance,

Jen :D

FrouFrou
07-24-2003, 02:14 PM
These are ones that I have and do use regularly.

Leslie Sansones 2 mile WATP
This one I discovered from the ladies on 3fc, I had never heard of it before and I like it so much I want to get the 3 mile one.

Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies
I know this is a very old one but I started out with this years ago and it is one I still do to this day, I do enjoy it. I also have the disco one too.

Denise Austins Pilates

Can you tell us some that you have checked out in the library? I am interested to see which ones you have tried and liked or disliked.

Take care :)

Jen24
07-24-2003, 04:36 PM
So far, I've tried these from the library:

"Attitude Aerobics" w/ Donna Richardson. The actual aerobics part was pretty good, though dated, but the warm-up & cool down were just STRANGE. They had spliced in some totally different stuff! Tai-chi, yoga, etc. So that one was a no-go.

"Latin Rhythm Workout" w/ Elise Foss. It was sort of hard to follow, and hard to do if you're not used to all the shimmying! I thought it'd be fun, but had trouble doing so really didn't enjoy it too much.

"Dance Fitness"-something (can't quite remember the name). I've always thought learning some dance moves while exercising would be fun, but this lady (Jennifer Kries, I think) did a very poor job of explaining what would come next, and I got lost quickly. The funny thing is, I think I'm pretty quick at catching on to this stuff and DO have rhythm. So I got discouraged & lost and didn't even finish this one (there were 2 30-min. workouts total).

I kinda gave up after those three!

I've heard lots of good things about WATP, so I think I'll see if I can check some of that stuff out of the library & give it a try! Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks!
Jen ;)

NicoleNYC
07-24-2003, 06:34 PM
Love love love WATP - the one, two, and probably even three mile tapes are all really great for beginners, the "instructor" is not annoying (perky thing, I thought she would be, but I don't mind her at all) and it goes by in a flash.

Stepping Out
07-25-2003, 01:28 AM
This is my first time visiting this thread. I'm curious about the WATP tapes. I've heard a lot of great things about them. My problem is that I'm handicapped. My right leg is partially paralyzed, and I wear a leg brace and walk with a crutch. Could some of the lower levels (level 1) of WATP be an option for me? I'd feel a lot more comfortable with something I can do at home.

If you have any experience with the tapes, please let me know.

Thanks and good night :) :moo:

NicoleNYC
07-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Homebound, I'm not sure. The core of the program is walking or marching in place with some knee lifts, kick backs, front kicks, etc - and pace is fairly important. Maybe you can check out the one mile tape from your local library or video store.

Have you tried water aerobics? Of course, that's not at home but I know a lot of people really enjoy the work (I have a few family memebers with arthritic knees and hips and the water aerobics really helps keep them fit). Of course, you've probably heard this all before ;)

Firmgirl
07-25-2003, 06:59 PM
I love any of The Firm videos. They get results, are serious workouts and you do not waste time with them.
They do use a good bit of equipment, but you do not have to have any to see results. If you have anyquestions about Firm workouts, www.mindundermuscle.com has many members that can answer questions.

USLadyInWales
07-27-2003, 12:27 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Joyce Vedral videos? I have started following her Bottoms Up program again (using the book) which did help me when I was following the routine regularly a few years back. I also just got a free Kathy Ireland Advanced Sports Fitness video which I am curious to try. I'll let you know what I think.

jeepchik
07-28-2003, 09:27 AM
I love my WATP tapes. I find them easy and a great work-out. You dont haveto be able to do any major dance steps..can just follow along. Ive done the 1miles 2 mile and 3 mile walks. I enjoy them all. I lend them out to all my friends and they end up buying them. These are the ticket when u hate to exercise. :D

NicoleNYC
07-28-2003, 02:52 PM
I also like the WATP tapes because I can do the full range of motion, even in my small and crowded space!

synger
07-28-2003, 03:53 PM
I'm a beginner. That being said...

My basic videos are:

The New You with Linda Evans
Tae Bo Basic
Method: Afro-Brazilian Cardio (short and dancy, but not a good warmup/cooldown)
WATP (she just annoys me, though)

When I'm feeling energetic:

Sweating to the Oldies (he can be annoying, too)
The Firm Basics: Fat Burning
Kathy Smith's Latin Cardio
Donna-Mite (she's GREAT -- the time just flies!)
Kathy Smith Fat Burning

When I want to be challenged:

Your Personal Best

Jen24
07-28-2003, 04:05 PM
....for all your suggestions. Please keep 'em coming! I do appreciate it.

Jen :)

aphil
07-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Here are my recommendations-
strength training:
Getting in Shape with Weights For Dummies-this is great for beginners, because it explains things well)
Anything by Margaret Richard ( get them at
www.bodyelectrictv.com ) She is my favorite strength training instructor-she is chatty/talkative-but NOT cheerleader perky.
I also really like Joyce Vedral for strength training, but I have to warn you-she is a New York woman-heavy accent and very talkative and she has "New York Attitude." Sometimes it feels like you are being trained by a mobsters wife...:lol:

Pilates-(for beginners new to Pilates)
Stott Pilates Basic Pilates
Denise Austin Pilates Matwork-Denise Austin is usually a perky instructor, but in this vid she is much more quiet and toned down.
(these both require no equipment)

Yoga-
any video with Rodney Yee as the instructor-he is easy on the eyes ;) and has such a soothing voice-great for relaxation.

As far as instructors I cannot stand...I can't bear Kathy Smith-all her yelling and "Woohoo!"-ing around....I just want to slap her. Isn't that terrible?! :lol:

As far as the training with the leg problems-check out Collage Video website...they have specialty videos for those with leg problems-like videos called "Sit and Be Fit" and other titles, where you work out sitting in your chair. There are actually LOTS of exercises you can do sitting-and these vids are great for that.
Aphil

USLadyInWales
07-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the info Aphil. Which Joyce Vedral videos have you used? Does she have rests between sets on the videos? I prefer not to use the rests in order to get a better aerobic workout.

beledigirl
07-30-2003, 10:21 AM
Hi!

Here are the exercise videos I like and actually use.

Joyce Vedral Definition, Fast Forward, and Non Stop

I have tried her interval aerobics tape once and have mixed feelings about it. She says yeah too much and it is annoying so I put on a cd of other type of music to drown her out. =)

A note about her Non Stop video. There are errors on it where she forgets sets of exercises so you have to do them yourself.

Rania Belly Dance videos I like them all

Paula Abdul Cardio Dance

Fat Burning for Dummies

Ana Caban Beginning Pilates

Kathy Smith lower body Pilates

Others I have that I like but are a bit too long are

Cathe Maximum Intensity Strength - This is a full body workout with heavy weights. It is about an hour long and it is tough

Richard Simmons Disco - I like it but it is too long

Chriti Taylor Still Jumping - I like it but it is too long for me

Kathy Smith Latin - Not too long but don't care for her yelling

I have a couple WATP pounds tapes but they are now too easy for me.

aphil
07-30-2003, 11:37 AM
In the Joyce Vedral Fat Burning Workout, her rests are only like 10-15 seconds, but you are not sitting there doing nothing, you are changing your weights or adjusting your body position to the floor, the bench, etc. So your heart rate doesn't go down.
She is excellent for weight training-but as for cardio I would really just concentrate on the weight training aspect of it, and concentrate on your heart rate when you are actually doing a cardio workout. In strength training, there is so much to think about-form, contracting the muscle for optimum fatiguing of it, etc. that I prefer to seperate the two types of workouts-but that is just me. I take my weight training seriously. :lol:
I really do find Kathy Smith totally annoying. She is always wooping and yelling Woohoo! YEEEAAAH! and stuff like that. Not ust excited speak, but YELLING it. She is knowledgeable, but I don't even think her body is all that great. Terrible, I know.
Aphil

Mindi
07-30-2003, 05:04 PM
The very best weight training video workouts, IMO, and I'm well known videowh*re, LOL, are from Cathe. She does advanced workouts of several varieties but I can only speak about her weight training, of which I own most of her past and current workouts and I've pre-ordered her newest which will be released in Sept. "fingers crossed" She also does quite a bit of cardio stuff and is big into step, I don't do those, so I can't comment on them.

You can find some of her older workouts at Collagevideo but mostly she sells her stuff on her own site at cath.com.

She's the kind of person you LOVE...then you do a workout and find yourself SWEARING at her on the tv..NO MORE LUNGES! LOL

USLadyInWales
07-30-2003, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all of the info everyone. I did try that Kathy Ireland Advanced Sports fitness video (only because I got it for free). It is very advanced and would only work for someone who is already fit and wants to become a super athlete. It also requires a workout bench. Do the Joyce Vedral or Cathe videos require one? I may get one of Joyce Vedrals videos. I will probably get Bottoms Up (I have the book for that), Fat Burning Workout or Definition. I will let you know what I think of it too.

Mindi
07-30-2003, 10:36 PM
Cathe uses a step in most of her videos, even for weights. But really you don't need one if you don't have one. You can do bench presses and stuff on a mat or towel and some of the sitting work on a chair.

Genesis
08-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Here are my favorite fitness DVDs....

1. Tamilee Webb "I Want That Body" - It's a short yet very effective strength training workout that's broken down into 6 fifteen minute segments - 2 for arms - 2 for buns - 2 for abs. The buns protion really does work your lower body, not just your buns. Hand weights required for the arms section.

2. Tae Bo - great cardio workout. I like the Get Ripped Advanced DVD, it has 2 advanced workouts that make you sweat

3. Kathy Smith's Kickboxing workout - another great cardio workout that's fun & sweaty!

4. Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight

5. The Frim also puts out great workouts that are challenging & effective

JodiBelle
08-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Oh man, I have become a total vidiot in the last year and own almost a hundred workout videos. I love the Firm videos because they are hard and I feel so darn strong after I finish one. I also do Leslie for cardio. She's not too hard but I am asthmatic and can not handle really hard cardio. One of my favorite new finds of late is Lotte Berk. These are kind of like pilates/callanetics and they rock. They are all only 30 minutes long and don't require much in the way of equipment. Everyone I know who has used these has gotten wonderful results. They are one thing that I can get myself to do when I don't feel like working out because you just feel so good afterwards and you don't have to drag hardly anything out. Love them! :D

USLadyInWales
08-06-2003, 04:27 AM
I decided to purchase the Walk Away the Pounds (for Abs) 2 mile video. I really like this because you don't need a lot of space or equipment (ab belt optional), and the moves are pretty uncomplicated which is great for me since my coordination is pretty poor these days due to some nerve damage in my back. I personally did not find the instructor annoying at all and I got a good aerobic workout from this program. I recommend this one.

bicker
08-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Firmgirl
I love any of The Firm videos. They get results, are serious workouts and you do not waste time with them.
They do use a good bit of equipment, but you do not have to have any to see results.Indeed. I love watching this thing on my arm grow. (They tell me it is a bicep -- never had one of THOSE before! :D )If you have anyquestions about Firm workouts, www.mindundermuscle.com has many members that can answer questions. I can't get that link to work.

Athenaphoenix
08-09-2003, 11:16 PM
Walk Away the Pounds!!!! I absolutely love these vids! I started with the 2 mile back in Feb. when I started exercising and I honestly think that video is the reason I'm still going at it! After a while it got too easy and I moved to the 3 mile. LOL, then it got too easy and I'm LOVING the 4 Mile Super Challenge right now. It is fabulous!
I also have Denise Austin's Pilates, Tae Bo Live, and Bellydance: Fitness for Beginners (the one with the twins). I always feel sexy after that one!! I just bought the Karen Voight tape BLT for the exercise ball but haven't used it yet.

Hope that helps,
Crystal

bicker
08-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Just a brief note about The Firm for folks thinking of buying it. The Fanny Lifter is on sale on the Firm's web site, only $40. Not sure for how long.

The old BodySculpting System set is also on sale.

aphil
08-10-2003, 01:34 PM
There is a person on Ebay that makes a Firm Fanny Lifter box out of WOOD and not the plastic...I have heard wonderful things about it, how much sturdier it is than the one sold by the Firm. It is the same exact size and style-it is just made from better materials. If anyoneis interested, check out the fanny lifter listings on Ebay and try to find one-there is usually one listed about all of the time.

bicker
08-10-2003, 05:21 PM
FitPrime sells the original Firm Fanny Lifter, which is also made from wood. It is definitely sturdier and a higher-quality product overall, but a bit more limited in its usefulness. Unlike the new, plastic Fanny Lifter, the wooden ones don't split into separate 6" and 8" sections for step aerobics.

Mindi
08-11-2003, 07:34 AM
I have both Fanny Lifters, and have had no complaints about either, but the plastic one is far easier to both use and store, and IMO, its just as sturdy as the wooden step of the early Firms. However, if you're a beginner, and have a step that will adjust from 6-10" like the Reebok step, it will work as you get used to it. Some of the regular Firm Believers also use a Rubbermaid step which too is a good way to save some $$$.

FrugalChick
08-16-2003, 10:29 AM
I have Tae Bo but want to add more to my collection. Ya'll have some *great* ideas! :D

Mackenzie4
08-30-2003, 01:09 AM
I just have the Billy Blanks TaeBo dvd/video library, I switch between the 10 minute advanced workout and basic workout.. That really gets my heart going!!
Im waiting for my pilates/Yoga Video I bought on Ebay (Denise Austin)
Im looking forward to trying something new.
Im also thinking about the walk away the pounds thing.. I really have this thing about walking outside right now im very self concious.

Mindi
08-30-2003, 10:33 AM
new Taebo on sale Oct. 7..preorders at Bestbuy.com or collagevideo.com.

VermontMom
09-01-2003, 12:25 PM
I know there are SO many great videos out there, but I tend to stick to something that I am totally familiar with...I regularly do Gilad's Step and Tone Workout (uses a step, and weights) and Gilad's Split Routine, Volume 2 for Toning. The first one is great for cardio and toning; the second very tough but very effective for toning and shaping/sculpting.

It's tempting to try other videos, to challenge myself and keep the interest high; but I myself am fine with staying with the same ones; and I can add weight to take myself "to the next level".

I also got my videos from the collage site.

Good luck! It's so great to see the change and definition in one's body when one really sticks to the program and puts the effort/sweat into it. Just today, when I was doing the Split Routine, and feeling the BURNING in my thigh muscles, but was looking down at them and seeing a curve that had NEVER EVER been there before...that's when you know it's worth the effort!!!:bravo:

HarmonyBreeze
09-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Has anyone ever tried any Tammilee Webb videos? I have her Tighter Assets Weight Loss in the mail on the way to me, and if I like it, was thinking of getting her Cardio Blast as well. The ones I use now are The Firm (I don't remember which one, it's my mom's, like 20 years old but we both love it) and Tae Bo (the next step up after Basic with Billy Blanks)

Mindi
09-02-2003, 05:22 PM
I love Tamilee's "I want that Body," workout. Its totally complete, concise and gets the job done in a decent amount of time!

suzie76
09-02-2003, 10:01 PM
I really like Tamilee Webb's cardio workouts-Fit to the Hits Motown Moves and Fit to the Hits Rock Hard. Check collage.com for video clips.

Sherry

DewCan
09-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Hi All
Lots of great suggestions. A few quick questions. :?: What's pilates? What type of aerobic activity is better, aerobics without a step or with one? What's a good step video? Is there a Canadian website to buy videos on-line? What are the Walk Off The Pounds videos? How about a good toning video? I guess it wasn't just a few questions, sorry.
Diana

bicker
09-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Pilates is similar in many ways to yoga, in that it focuses on building core strength, via a variety of exercises that primarily use your own weight or force as resistence.

Neither type of aerobics is objectively better than the other: Step aerobics is higher intensity, but therefore carries a higher risk of injury.

For toning, I highly recommend The Firm.

bicker
09-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Specifically "The Firm: Body Sculpting System" (not System 2 -- though I'm sure that's good too, but it requires more equipment and I haven't personally tried it yet).

becjo
09-09-2003, 08:49 AM
I am a video-holic! I have at last count 107 work out videos!!! I get them all off of Half.com too - if anyone is looking for them cheap! But my favorites are usually the Crunch series! They are so energetic. The hardest ones to me are anything by Karen Voight - man that woman knows how to wear you down. All of the different Firm videos are really good too and I really enjoy Leslie Sansone's walking videos for an easy cardio that gets your heart rate up a little but not much of the jarring impact. I'm always on the lookout for the newest videos out.

Mindi
09-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Check out www.cathe.com.

She will torture you and you will love it. :)

Mactx
09-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Does anyone do the callanetics videos? I used them long ago and just got 2 of the quick ones again. Originally long ago I used the Callanetics 10 years younger in 10 years and loved it but life took over and exercise fell by the way side!
I also love the Denise Pilates, but only did it once, it made my chest feel weird, like I had breathed in a bunch of super cold air!
Anyway I would like to hear abotu the callanetics from real people, do they work as well as they claim to?

DewCan
09-10-2003, 12:28 AM
Thanks Bicker, Becjo, and Mindi for the info. Wow, you have 107 tapes, that's impressive. I have 4 and I find them either irritating or I'm tired of them. I'll ahve to try the websites you suggest and order myself a few. Thanks again.

CIN
09-11-2003, 11:09 AM
My favorite are Weight Watchers newest set......especially the high intensity......if you do it with 5 pounds weight you earn 4 ( well-deserved) activity points in a mere 30 minutes.Also they feature ww members in their 20s 30s 40s & even 60's!

I am also a Leslie Sansone and Richard Simmons fan so it takes a little while to get used to the new tape but now I am hooked!

Good luck...just move it more if nothing else!
;)
Cin

jerrynben
09-12-2003, 12:45 PM
I love yoga with Rodney Yee as well, and Tae Bo is definitly a classic. My new favorite is Jim Karas' video- I actually got it free when I joined his website (jimkaras.com) but I know you can buy it too. It's a great full body workout!

Jen24
09-16-2003, 10:14 PM
This is awesome! I started this thread in July, and ya'll are still posting great ideas and suggestions--I love it! :D
I actually haven't really tried any more exercise videos since I asked for suggestions--but I think I will be doing that in the future (my husband & I may be moving to the midwest next year). So weather-wise, I'll need videos in the winter for variety! Right now I'm still using the gym (I can go for free through my job!) and walking/jogging outside.
You guys are giving LOTS of great suggestions--thanks!

Jen :cool:

becjo
09-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Just for all your Crunch fans - I went to Walmart and found 2 new Crunch tapes - they were only $5.97 each!!! The first one is a Salsa tape - fun, fun, fun - I love to dance anyways! The second is a Fat burning Pilates. I'm not a huge fan of pilates but this is great because the first 25 minutes is actually low impact aerobics based on pilates moves - it really had my heart pumping! They are great tapes for the price.

spores
09-25-2003, 07:56 PM
I am hooked on the workout videos from MTV's "The Grind." I have the first two they made: "Hip-Hop Aerobics" and "Fitness with Flava," both with the original host of "The Grind," Eric Neiss and some of the dancers. I believe there is one more out there with the same cast; there are also some other MTV-produced videos I haven't checked out. The Grind videos are a little cheesy, but at least the people look like they're having fun. Also, I get bored very easily, and the dance steps keep me paying attention, though they're not difficult to pick up. It's easy to vary the workout: I just amp up my arm movements when I'm in the mood for a peppier workout.

dinki
09-27-2003, 05:29 AM
I LOVE THE WALK AWAY THE POUNDS, WITH THE NICE WEATHER I HAVE BEEN WALKING OUTSIDE BUT DID THE 2 MILE TAPE TODAY AND GOT A MUCH BETTER WORKOUT

suzie76
10-03-2003, 09:05 PM
I just bought Crunch fat buring pilates and cardio salsa too. I loved the Pilates video-and I'm not a Pilates fan. I'm going to try the cardio salsa soon.

sherry