Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/243/150

Height: 5"6'

Default Just got my lapband

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself and join the group. I am 7 days post op and things are going good so far. I still have pain in my shoulders from the gas, but overall feeling ok. I am on full liquids and it's not really too bad. I get full easily enough. I do have to work on drinking more water, although I've been drinking sugar free iced tea. I totally miss my diet dr. pepper though. That's going to be a hard one for me, giving up soda. I have one more week until I can eat mushy foods and can't wait to be able to actually chew on something.

So anyways, hi! I hope to get to know you all so we can really support each other on this journey. I have a few people that know I've had the surgery, but it's always better to be able to talk to people going through similar experiences. If you've already have the lap band, any advice will be appreciated.
joylove26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Congrats! Sounds like things are going really well.

You might consider making freezer pops, if you're getting the "chew" urge and need more liquids. I bought molds that were about 2 ounces, and froze Crystal Light. It helps with that chew urge and I got more liquids in
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/221.1/150

Height: 5'3

Wow, I'd love to follow your journey. I am considering weight loss surgery myself. I have the consultation first week of July.
Seana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

not a lap band, but welcome aboard!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/243/150

Height: 5"6'

duckyyellowfeet- the freezer pops are a great idea. I love crystal light and since there's so many flavors, I'll have lots of variety...yummy.

Seana- you are most welcome to follow my journey. I'm hoping it will be a successful one. I'm fully committed to it. Let me know how your consultation went.

Jiffypop- thanks for the welcome. :-)
joylove26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

My surgeon said it wasn't the magic pill.....he was right. Do I regret my decision.....not a chance. I am learning and while I haven't been as successful as I had hoped......I know I will get there. It is a hard path and you learn about yourself. I have found I need to be tougher to see the truth.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

"You learn about yourself"

Truer words were never written!!!! and it keeps on going!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #8  

Hi there, I'm getting my lapband on the 29th of this month, looking forward to following our journeys together. any pre-op advise would be great. thanks
meandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #9  

I had my lapband surgery on February 12th.....I really don't remember a lot about the preparation other than the pre surgery diet plan. Make sure you take some Gas X strips with you....this is an absolute must! A book to read or something to keep you occupied after the surgery. Since I didn't have to stay overnight in the hospital and my husband was the one who was with me......I walked as much as I could. He was in a hurry to get home......take someone who is understanding and compassionate with you......he was in a hurry to get home. I slept a lot once I got home. hope this helps
Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #10  

Just had another fill.....small but effective. I can honestly say that as of last Thursday......1/4 cup of food is my maximum. I look at the food network as people are standing there with food slathered all over their lips and I dream.......then I stop and look inward and realize.......once you swallow....the flavor is gone....unless you leave a little on your lips. As I am sitting there and dreaming of the days when I would let a White Castle slider go straight down my throat.....I realize I never took the time to enjoy the flavors.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #11  

Hello Iwanawurkit, when did you get you band? you have a great loss!! So do you eat only 1/4 cup three times daily?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #12  

Meandmax....

Got my band on February 2014.....this year. I really didn't lose much at first until my band started getting filled. I am a very slow loser.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #13  

On day 4 post-op. I was not expecting to feel this tired and weak at this point. I'm trying to move around as much as possible. Today I'm feeling hungry but I'm following my full liquid diet guidelines. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 10-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

recovery takes awhile! just keep on doing what you're doing. Ask yourself if you're really actually PHYSICALLY hungry, or if you just want to have something in your mouth. This is major lesson number 1.

If you're physically hungry - eat something [according to what your doc told you]. if you just want to have something in your mouth - drink some water, distract yourself somehow, do ANYTHING except eat.

what's your full liquid diet like? if you're permitted protein-ish liquids, i'd suggest using them more than non-protein-ish liquids for the energy and the healing.

you're actually doing very well. This is a day-by-day, minute-by-minute journey with lots of lessons to be learned [and re-learned]
Old 10-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #15  

True....true....true....everything Jiffy has said. If you can have protein....and you should.....you will find it will stay with you longer. This is the time when you have to really look inward to find out if your truly hungry or if your head is telling you your hungry. Just because the capacity of what your stomach can hold doesn't mean your brain is in sync. Find something to do with your self like knitting, crocheting or sewing. Keep busy.....maybe read a good book that will make the time fly. Keep a journal of what your experiencing.....it helps and will help in the future too.