Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Surgery Tomorrow

Hi all

I've been lurking around for a while, but I thought I would actually introduce myself today, as I officially join the WLS ranks tomorrow.

My name is Kirsten and I'm having a gastric sleeve done tomorrow. I started looking into gastric sleeve this past August, took a break from the process and began again in March; now, I'm slated for surgery and excited to begin the next part of my journey.

I'm really happy with my choice and looking forward to losing weight and getting healthier.

Perhaps not the best introduction but I can see this is a very supportive group and I'm grateful to have the opportunity to be apart of it
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

welcome aboard, ducky!! and hope all goes well. the results with the sleeve have been very good, so we're looking forward to good reports. And we'll help anyway we can.

What time is your surgery? will you - or someone else - be able to post afterwards to let us know you're OK?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #3  

Surgery starts at 10am. I'll be back home wednesday and will be sure to post afterwards

I feel really positive about the sleeve. I did a lot of research (as I'm sure most people do!) and I'm happy with the choice.

I'm just a little nervous. Its such a big life change and like all life changes, I just hope that I'll be happier on the other side. Seeing so much success around here is making me feel additional confidence in my choice.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #4  

I'm back
Surgery went well, had one overnight in the hospital and now I'm back, enjoying being at home. Hospital beds are not comfortable.

Now i'm just working on protein drinks and liquid intake
Old 06-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #5  
maintaining since 9/2013

Wishing you some good TV time & smooth recovery. Keep us posted!

Last edited by mars735; 06-13-2014 at 10:34 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

yay! glad you're home and more comfortable. just take it one day at a time. and rest!!!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #7  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hi,

I hope that you recover well from your surgery! Take good care of yourself!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #8  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Congratulations on beginning a new phase of your journey
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone

I'm doing well thus far. Lots of rest, keeping up on the pain meds, too much bad tv. I'm feeling a lot better than I thought I would, with the exception of my all protein shake diet is killing me.

Right after surgery, what types of foods did your surgeon have you on>
Old 06-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

i was on clear liquids for a week, then thicker liquids [like protein shakes and poached eggs] for a week or two, then i could start adding regular food. believe me, a couple of bites of something and i was DONE, but at least it was a start.

some folks around here had to stay on the clear liquids for longer, and they're docs were slower to add regular food.

glad you're doing ok. BTW, are you putting your protein into a blender with ice? i COULD NOT consume them made that way. I mixed the protein and poured it over ice. something about all that air beaten into the mix made me soooo uncomfortable
Old 06-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #11  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

I also was on clear liquids for a week and then thicker liquids, yogurt and applesauce for at least 3 weeks. I could have had baby food during that time but no thanks!
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #12  

I found two protein drinks that I liked pre-surgery ok. Post surgery, I tried and got two down. By the third one, I started crying and gagging and almost vomited (which made me cry harder). I wasn't blending them, just pouring over ice.

Luckily, my mom had surgery (at a different center) about a year ago. Her post-op diet was no-chew foods for 2 weeks after surgery-- yogurt, applesauce, broth, non-chunky soups. My friend was on a similar diet from a different Kaiser center as my mom... so I'm trying their center's diet and I've stopped wanting to cry when I have to eat.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 309/194/145

I was the same way with protein drinks. I like different ones now than when I did pre-op. Chike is one. Love all their flavors(28grams protein) including the coffee one(20grams) but I wasn't cleared for coffee till I believe 3 months out. The other one I like is premier protien shakes. I can only find them ready to drink at walmart. Don't know if they make the powder version. They have 30 grams of protein which I like.

I add protein powder and pb to quite a few things I make now.

I am trying to remember my surgeons rules. I believe I was on liquid diet for two weeks and then soft foods. But I had a rny don't know if its any different for a sleeve surgery. I just remember I was so happy to be able to eat soft foods.
SnowAngel72 is offline   Reply With Quote