Old 06-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #82

Hey everyone. Just moving us up a thread. Hope everyone has a great weekend. It is going to be rain, rain and it looks like it is about ready to come down now. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot & Cloudy Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JUNE MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is another very warm day here in the ♥-Land and looks like we will be getting more rain this evening. We got quite the down pour last night which we are thankful for.

I was sitting in the Jeep waiting outside the museum for a man to pick out which very old picture he wants to have enlarged to hang in his office. He settled on one of the old courthouse being built with folks standing around in period dress. Will is having it enlarged for he wants to hang it in his office where he is a Parole Agent. His brother is our friend who owns the gun shop and we met him there and got to talking about all those old neat pictures the museum has that may “be one of a kind.” While sitting there the freight train went by on the tracks running 3 blocks back from the street the museum is on. I could hear that lonesome call of the whistle that really carries in this damp weather.

Before we went out and about this day I put a roast in the crock pot along with an envelope of onion soup mix, baby carrots, whole small mushrooms, celery, onion and potatoes all cut up in large chunks and piled on top then poured a cup of water over it all. It will make a yummy dinner later this day. Before placing the meat in the pot I cut slits in it in which I inserted slivers of fresh cut garlic. We could smell it cooking when we got back from being out and about when we came up to the back door. I can smell it cooking clear back here in my office. Makes my mouth water.

DONNA FAYE Thank you for starting a new thread.

JEAN I do hope all is well on your trip and you can park the boat closer.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 06-13-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #3  

Good Morning! Sun is out but it is cool. Guys just left to go fishing. Bob caught two nice walleyes last night. That's the best luck he's ever had, the first time out, in all the years we've been coming here. Not sure what we gals will do today, most likely read and knit. The router died yesterday so the owner will be here today to install a new one.

Hope you all enjoy a super Sunday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #4  

Good morning all. We are going to be leaving in about half an hour for the dreaded commissary run. It is supposed to rain today, which seems normal on Commissary Sundays. I hope it holds off until we get back home and Jack can get the car unloaded.

I absolutely love my hair. She colored it then straight razor cut it wet and used another weird looking razor tool to cut it then dried it and scissor cut it the rest of the way. It is nice and short and since I have been off those awful hormones 8 months now, my hair has grown back in thicker too. I have very fine hair so it is never going to be thick, but I don't have see through patches any longer.

Just got a call from Jack's sister and looks like in a couple weeks they are coming through town to go to his brother's in VA. I guess we will take them and their son out to dinner, but it is going to be a weeknight and late when they get in so who knows what's going to happen.

Maggie: We are having pork chops and scalloped potatoes for dinner tonight. I use the dry gravy mixes to fix lots of different things and use soup and soup mixes too.

Jean: I am attaching a pic of my nails. This is actually two layers an aqua one and then the sparkle layer. You never realize how old your hands look until they are in a photo. That is one thing about all these celebs and their facelifts and such to look young. Their hands still look 60 years old. There is no "handlift" that I know of.

You gals have a great day. We are off in just a few minutes. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nails.jpg (43.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #5  

Have had fish for lunch and the kitchen put back together again. Paper plates sure make it easy.

"Gma," thank you for starting the new thread. Hope you made it to the commissary and home again without getting wet. Your new hairdo sounds cute, and your nails are so pretty! I should have had mine done before we left. Wearing a darker polish sure shows as they grow out, and I don't like that. I sure can't afford to go every week to have them painted. I think my hands look "old" too.

Maggie, I think the boat is on the dock where it usually is tied. I haven't been down to the beach area to look. We could tell the water is really high as we drove to the cabin. I guess the area north of here got 9" of rain in a couple days last week and they were already saturated. I could almost smell your roast cooking.

Guess I will go outside and join my "sister," Connie. She is knitting baby hats for their hospital nursery. Her sister used to knit baby booties for a crisis pregnancy center in AZ where they lived.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #6  

Good morning gals. We had big thunderstorms all night that kept me awake. Jack slept right through them he said. I don't know how he does that. These were really loud.

Today is clean upstairs day I think. I put in a pot roast with carrots and new potatoes and a can off ff beef broth into the crockpot so don't have to worry about supper at least.

We were so mad at the commissary yesterday. They open at 9:30 on Sundays but you can't check out until 10 unless you are handicapped. We went to check out around 10:45 and they had express checking, which is you check yourself out and 1 register opened and at least 9 people in line. They need to fire the head cashier because she sits in her office instead of walking the store to see how many customers there are. Took us forever to get checked out.

Jean: Hope you are drying out up there and congrats to Bob on catching his fish. Do you clean and eat them on your trip or clean and freeze them and bring them home? I bought a light yellow, a purple and even a green polish to wear. I think they are nice spring colors and you aren't limited to pinks, corals, and reds anymore. I wouldn't do black or brown of course, but the other colors are fun. My skin is so light I can get away with it I guess.

Everyone have a great start to their week. We are now less then 15 weeks until vacation and I cannot wait. Faye
Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #7  

Good Morning! It's a cloudy morning and supposed to rain. Not sure if the guys will stay close to shore or wait and see what the weather does. Sister, Connie, and I are heading to the mall and out for lunch.

"Gma," I can usually sleep through thunderstorms unless Bob gets up and prowls around. If there are wind warnings before bed time he'll stay up later "just in case." It's too bad the commissary shopping is such a challenge. I wonder if it is as bad on a weekday. Is the base large enough that it's always busy? How about clothes or household items, or is it just food available there? Not sure who, but they caught more fish so that was dinner yesterday. We usually take some home too. Last year we didn't have many to bring home, just enough for one meal I think. Every once in awhile there is a FB Christmas update on how many days until Christmas -- reminds me of you and Jack counting down the days until vacation.

Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Rainey Monday

Hallelujah! We have been out and about in this beautiful rainy day. I love it and we need it so desperately. It rains awhile then slows down a bit and it soaks in then it comes back around and rains some more. Supposed to be like this again tomorrow and I hope that is the case. The dog’s day at the groomer for a bath and hair cut and they sure look and smell good. They are napping now for it tires them out a bit when they go to the groomer.

Dinner today will be an easy one for I cut up the left over roast and put it into the veggies and gravy and will thin it down with some bouillon and water for a great soup with some crisp toasted French bread.

YIPEKIO Magnolias I showed a whopping 3 pound loss this morning at my weigh in. I don’t usually lose so much at once but being back OP after a bit of a vacation and keeping track of my points+ that I consumed did the trick. I know if I write what I bite it does pay off usually but no more than a pound at a time. Today is my day to walk so I will do that in a bit adding a minute.

Cecil just came into my office and wanted some attention ~ soaking wet. The rain doesn’t faze him at all and he loves being outside. He doesn’t shake it off like the dogs do.

JEAN I hope you had fun at the mall and a good meal out for lunch. Fresh fish is so good cooked soon after it is caught. Yum.

DONNA FAYE I can sleep through a storm ~ always have been able even as a child. Sounds like your commissary is needing new management of the checkers. Just maybe they need an under manager to oversee the checkers since the manager has work to do in the office. I don't remember every having the troubles you have when we went to one in CA. There aren't any close enough to us here to make it worth going to for the gas it would use to get there and back would eat up the difference plus some. You may be doing more shopping at Wal*Mart in the near future for aren't they talking about closing down the commissaries?

Last edited by Maggie; 06-13-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. More thunderstorms last evening and everything is wet so we had more rain overnight. We have flash flood warnings too as we have gotten an awful lot of rain in the last month or so. We are still expecting rain pretty much the rest of the week.

I have to get upstairs and finish this morning. Gonna strip the sheets and do the dusting then it is all done for a few days again. The spare bedroom is a disaster though as we have a long table set up in there with the suitcases on it and under it and clothes and shoes everywhere along with supplies I have bought for vacation. At least we have someplace to put stuff instead of having it in the bedroom or whatever and constantly having to move it.

Jean: We don't ever go to the commissary on weekdays because Jack always goes with me now. We have been there once in awhile if he is on vacation or whatever, but it is busy enough to keep it open for sure. The problem lies in management not the number of people. The head cashier told me herself that she has cashiers on standby in the back that don't come up front until she calls them. My opinion is if they are there they are getting paid so even if there aren't customers why aren't they standing at their registers instead of sitting in the back smoking and goofing off? She also always tries to tell me people call off. Well, I can see that to a point, but it is her tried excuse and it doesn't fly 100% of the time. The head of the commissary is a military officer always and he can't be fired! I have complained to everyone I know of, but I get lip service. Jack informed me on Friday we go below 100 days. The man has a vacation tracker! I can understand that though as he works everyday and lately he has been having to get down and up on his knees a lot because of some problems with some new equipment and he comes home in a lot of pain. One thing that helps is Aleve though. It doesn't take it all away, but it does ease it quit a bit and he wears one of those copper knee sleeves that helps when he doesn't forget to put it on in the morning. I found this cute confetti looking stuff you can paint over your nail color. You can get it in a variety of color combos. The only thing is the company is in Russia!

Maggie: Yaaa, on lbs down. I was going to do the same thing with our pot roast, but it was so small there wasn't enough to really use.

Hope you all have a nice day. Faye
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #10  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it looks like another nice day. The guys are going to town after more fishing "stuff." Not sure what we gals are going to do. We may do some snooping through the area antique/quilt/gift shops after lunch. I spent my "wad" yesterday, so can't think of anything I need. I didn't sleep very well last night. I think I drank too much water too late in the day. My legs were achy from walking through the huge mall yesterday. I need to get back to walking on a regular schedule.

Maggie, on the GREAT loss! Glad you got some much needed rain yesterday. We had lunch at Panera Bread. I'd never eaten there so that was fun -- food was good!

"Gma," I think you've had more than your share of rain lately. It has been interesting to watch the weather happenings around the country. We always say that if you don't like the local weather, wait a few hours and it will change. If we are leaving I always take a sweater or jacket along just in case. Are there public places where smokers can still smoke in TN? Up here there are lots of places you can't even smoke of the property. Employees have to smoke in their cars driving around the block. Jack is definitely in a vacation mind set!

I need to get dressed in case Connie wants to go somewhere, I will be ready! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday & a Very Nice Warm Sunny Day

It was a beautiful sun shiny day here in the ♥-Land. I just had a small sandwich from Subway for lunch and skinless chicken from KFC for dinner. I love ordering the kids size for it is just enough at Subway. When I order one of the kids sandwiches I have them load it will veggies and jalapeno peppers. I like giving those neat bags the sandwiches come in and the toy to a gal who has a little kid. I didn’t have a clue of what I was going to fix for dinner but before very long Will had mentioned KFC since we hadn’t been there in quite awhile.

All three of the baby buffalo are female and doing well. It sure looks like the fourth adult female is PG and will give birth soon.

Not much happening around here this day. I did receive a package of things I had ordered and am happy with the “stuff.” The galvanized tub will be quite big enough to bathe the dogs in when we are traveling and the plunger thing to wash clothes with looks like it will certainly get all the dirt out of a garment. The small scrub board of glass will be great for washing unders and shirts on. If I never have to use these at least I will have them for I know at times we will be camping where the only hookup is a source of water. Otherwise when we do have hookups then I can use my little washer and spin dryer and will be glad I have that tub to do the dogs in. Since we won’t have as many clothes as we do now it is important to me to be able to have a way to clean some things.

DONNA FAYE Maybe next time you will get a bigger cut of meat so you can have some good soup the next day. I love doing that with roast.

JEAN I have never eaten at Panera Bread but hear it is good. We have just never been a place that had one of their restaurants. There may be one in one of the bigger cities here and I will have to check it out.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #12  

Good morning to you ladies. The rain will hold off until around noon than back at it for awhile. I guess we are supposed to have a nice day tomorrow then Friday rain all day. UGH, I am now sick of rain.

I need to tackle part of the downstairs today, but my old bones are aching this morning so don't know. All this rain kicks up the arthritis for sure.

I have some cool cake batter recipes if anyone wants them I will post whatever you want. They all use some type of cake box. Let's see I have coconut almond macaroon cookies, chocolate chip cookies, cake batter fudge, cake batter cookies and rolo cookies. I think the macaroons use angel food cake.

Maggie: It can be hard to get roasts and meats that aren't in huge packages. I try to get the smallest I can, but you're right I should get just a bit bigger so I can make stew as Jack likes stew. Right now it is kind of icky sticky around here to have any kind of soups though. I have been using my convection oven, electric skillet, and my crockpot a lot more so I don't heat up the kitchen. The humidity is almost 90% around here lately.

Jean: You can have our rain anytime. I am sick of it. Did you find anything interesting or a bargain while shopping? No, you can't smoke in buildings here and especially federal buildings, but they go outside and smoke. You see them all standing around. I feel for the people who bag groceries mostly. They come to work and stand around. They work for tips only so they make no money if they aren't bagging and even then most people are extremely cheap and take out their own bags so they don't have to give someone a few bucks. We give them money depending on how many bags they have to unload. If I have a lot we give them more than if I have a shorter bunch of groceries. I have to include a picture of a nail polish. I was looking for something specific and found this. I wouldn't buy it even if I liked it for just the name alone. The name of the polish is clown puke! Jack said, "yep, looks like puke to me!"

Well gals time for breakfast. Today is blueberry eggos, sf blueberry syrup, fresh blueberries and bacon. Dinner is cold shrimp, corn on the cob and salad. Have a good day everyone. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61DKcAIcckL.jpg (70.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by gma22; 06-11-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #13  

Good Morning! The sun is peeking out through the clouds and it's supposed to be a nice day. The guys got up early so they could be the first to get to a fishing spot where they saw fisherman catching fish yesterday. We are on a chain of lakes fed by a river, and the water is still high. It's still "no wake" boating so takes awhile to get any where. Barney, the dog, goes fishing too. Connie likes to sleep later and I wake up at my usual time of 5:30. I can't lay in bed once I'm awake so have had my shower. We stayed here yesterday so think we will probably "go" this afternoon.

Maggie, I had to at you being excited over your new tub. It seems like every place we have rented is missing some tool or appliance that I routinely use. This kitchen is a nightmare and needs a good going through. There are lots of drawers and cupboards but people have put things away willy-billy. Measuring cups and spoons are a good example, none are together but scattered in several drawers. There is a hodgepodge of blender and mixer parts for more than one of each, two coffee makers, two toaster ovens, plus a toaster -- you get the idea. We found three wine corkscrews but no pizza cutter. The Panera Bread had a wide variety of food choices. I had a "half" -- bowl of potato soup and sandwich. Connie chose a chicken salad with fresh strawberries, blueberries, oranges, nuts, etc.

"Gma," I would like your recipes! (P.S., if these are the ones on FB, I just found them!) I try to bake something when I know we will be seeing the kids. My mom always used to bring cookies when they would come. Beth just reminisced about that not too long ago. I just saw one on FB where you mix an angel food cake mix with another kind, then fix one serving in the microwave. I'm anxious to try that one. A waitress where my friend and I have coffee told us they get paid $1.00 an hour and rely on tips. It's a small restaurant so I doubt she makes much. You'd think they could have come up with a better name for that nail polish!

I hear the shower so better get dressed and ready for the day! Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Jean; 06-11-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

Not much going on today. We have been out and about and there are still just the 3 little girl buffalos but the 4th big female buffalo sure looks PG.

I heard today that the measurement for the rain we had off and on the last two days totaled to 5 inches. Other than the river being higher most of it has soaked in and made the fields a lovely green and folks lawns are no longer wheat colored but vibrant green. I love the rain and look forward to our next bout of it.

We are going to go out to eat after class tonight to I-Hop and I can make smart choices off their menu. I had half a turkey Panini for lunch and an apple and for snack later I ate a 1 point+ WW string cheese with jalapenos in it. Yummy. I don’t expect to lose big again come weigh day but should show a bit down. I like the WW calendars statement for today “Are you comfortable with your Comfort Zone? Can you stop eating when you’re satisfied?” I need some work in that area for when something tastes real good I am apt to finish it and should have left some behind.

JEAN It does excite me to find exactly what will work and I have bought several items from the folks who don't use electricity's catalog that will work great in the RV. You may want to take along a few of your favorite kitchen tools next time and keep them separate from those that go in to the drawers. That Panera Bread place sounds yummy1

DONNA FAYE Just the thought of your high humidity makes me sweat. We can eat soup any time of the year and have made several dishes as soup the next day. We always like to crock pot a large roast to have some for another meal. I also like to make shredded beef burritos or tacos with the left over meat.

Back much later: We are having a thunder and light show and pounding of rain ~ YES let the rain come down. We were out to eat after mid week services and when we got home it was pouring cats and dogs. I got to the house with a soaked shirt and promptly changed it and am nice an cozy now. Wonder how much rain we will get out of this storm ~ be nice if we get another 5 inches. This will mean we won't get our new sidewalk poured tomorrow.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #15  

Good morning to you gals. It is nice and cool outside, but the humidity is 93% so it is still sticky. Supposed to get sunshine all day today, which will be nice. It has been so dreary lately with all the dark clouds and rain.

I have the clothes washed and in the dryer, the front entrance swept and mopped and when I get done here will put the stuff back on the floor and fix myself some breakfast. It is eggs and ham cubes and toast with peanut butter for me this morning. I try to eat a good breakfast so I don't want to snack before lunch.

Other than folding laundry and sweeping and mopping bathroom, laundry room and kitchen, my day is free. I hope to get the yarn for T's socks today so I can get started on them. She mailed it from England on the 3rd so it should be coming any time now.

Jean: I emailed you those recipes so you can just print them out for yourself. They are from some Redbook article so you may want to google and see if you can find the article if you want to see if you want anymore of them. They had everything from ice cream to shakes made with cake mix in the article. Hope you are having sunny days up there. I like Panera Bread but Jack doesn't so we don't go there. I could suggest it to Kelly when we go to lunch together, but she likes to take me to places I have never been and I like that too. This one place we go occasionally and not at all since we have been working WW hot and heavy is called Café Eclectic. They have stuffed French toast and it is stuffed with Nutella and fresh strawberries. I can eat Nutella straight from the jar.

Maggie: You can have our rain for sure. I am sick of gloomy skies. I am a sunshine kind of gal, though I can't go out and be in it much as I burn something awful. No matter what I do, I always get a sunburn on the cruise. I wear SPF50 and a big floppy hat, but it is so hot I can't wear long sleeves and pants and such. I usually get sunburned on my arms.

You gals have a good day. Faye PS: Just spent 2 hours trying to find a self striping sock yarn to make Jackson some "lego" colored socks for Christmas. What do you think???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_300x300_367861072_isg5.jpg (25.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by gma22; 06-12-2014 at 10:50 AM.