PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:30 AM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default June 2014 PCOS Support Thread

The May thread is here.

Who's here in June?
How's your PCOS management going?
What are you working on this month? OR --what's your check in for the day/week?
How's exercise going?

Let's round up and support each other in June!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-02-2014 at 12:34 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:34 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Who's here in June?
Me. Astrophe, ryhmes with catastrophe.
Really well -- I'm on the ball for the most part.

What are you working on this month? OR what's your check in for the day/week?

Continuing the plan. Taking all my meds and supplements. Endoc isn't til August.
  • hypothyroid med
  • Metformin XR
  • multivitamin
  • fish oil
  • vitamin D (but no longer prescription strength level. Just extra over the counter one in addition to the multivitamin to maintain and not go deficient again)
  • vitamin b12 every other day (to make up for the loss that taking Metformin can cause)
  • d-chiro-inositol

Right now I am doing a walking schedule for easy beginner fitness.

I'm still keeping a more balanced approach with eldercare so I'm not so overwhelmed with that type stress. I am participating with friends in "stress club" because while we all have different stressors, we agreed to meet once a month to cover this mini class together:

http://programs.weber.edu/hpstudents...ssunitplan.pdf

I'm finding the in person support for stress helpful and its nice to see my friends more often and not be all up with elder patients all the time.

I'm also trying to be more present here because I find it helps a lot to be accountable somewhere about my PCOS management.

I am still experimenting with new recipes. Last week making "go to" lunch by setting up jar salads worked out really well.

This week I'm going with "go to" lunch by making a crockpot soup to jar up. Then lunches are just "grab and jar" no brainer. I still have not made my "safe food list" for on the go errand eating. I will try to do that this month and post it.

How's exercise going?
Right now very doable, but I'm looking to branch out into other activities. I have to see -- with school letting out soon and kids home in summer that's going to be interesting to work around the children or include them in something. I'm trying to stay flexible about it.
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-02-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 AM   #3  

Who's here in June?

Here! Although it is not my name, you can call me Autumn

Not so well. Trying to find a primary care provider so that I can get a referral to a new endocrinologist. Hoping to get back on some metformin to help with my insulin resistance.

Working on getting things back in order. Trying to get back into weight loss/ healthy living mode.

How's exercise going?

It's not. Going to start today/tomorrow when I get back in from appointments and errands. I have been having a hard time getting myself motivated to exercise, but I know once I start, it will be a lot easier. I'm at my heaviest right now, so I really need to kick myself and get to it. Need to get my steps tracker configured and give my little heart rate monitor watch some use.

Astrophe - I took a quick look at that stress link. I think I may give it a longer look later on today/tomorrow. Seems as though it might be pretty helpful.
autumn_owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:33 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Autumn Owl -- hope the doc thing sorts out. Keep going!

Exercise is my weak area too. Do what you can -- anything is better than zero. I've been enjoying the "Yoga Studio" app.

Like the recipes for food -- I'm just in "experiment" mode right now with exercise to see what it is I really like to do now. People can change, circumstances can change. I still like all the old things I liked to do but it's not realistic right now. So I have explore other activities.

MY CHECK IN:

Mentally good. Emotionally and physically I keep feeling weird at moments. Like all is well in ACTUALITY but this sudden "pending doom" feeling. And then weird joint pains or headaches. I had to look up perimenopause symptoms. Anyone PCOSer here already go through that? I've talked to other friends and they confirm the spacey brain, the hot/cold, the aches... but I don't even know what normal perimenopause is so what would PCOS perimenopause me? Oy.

A.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone... I am here, more or less, again, not sure how often, since I am working a lot and traveling for work too.

I'm doing okay. I think I lost about two lbs for the month of May. I am hoping to be under 160 by the end of June. Let's hope I can be! I lose weight slowly but at least, it's a downward trend, rather than up.

Boyfriend has stalled too (is it sad that I am glad he did?!) and I think he's discovering those last 10-15 are the hardest to lose.

I've also been doing a lot of decluttering, spring cleaning, whatever you want to call it and my house is in incredible shape now. It's forcing me to go through my stuff and decide if I want to keep it, throw it, or store it. I've found that I am giving away more of my "fat" clothes! Some of it I have a hard time letting go because of memories... I know I don't fit into them anymore.

I'm also looking at old pictures of myself and I think I look a million times better today than I ever did. On a day to day basis I am so hard on myself and these pictures are making me realize I have to be gentler AND recognize I've gotten far. I have a 37 lb weight loss! I know I feel like I need another 35, but wow, 37 lbs down is something to celebrate (and keep it off, of course).

So, in addition to my general PCOS maintenance and exercise (all of this is automatic now), I want to also work on being kinder to myself (less stress) and to continue cleaning out/spring cleaning my house.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I've been doing the same thing -- deep cleaning and decluttering. It's very liberating to get rid of old stuff. Not just house, but relationships. Some of mine I let go of because they were no longer joyful. I realized I was participating in them from habit, and not from actual present day joy and doing some friend break ups was liberating also. Like a weight lifting from my shoulders.

Weird huh?

How personal body health changes can ALSO lead to personal social health, mental health, emotional health, etc.

A.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #7  

So, we're almost half way through and I am still at 161.4 lbs.

I really need to be good and strict this coming week, I just want to see the 150s...

This is my biggest barrier -- crossing that 160s line.

I found some stuff from high school -- medical records -- that showed I was weighing 140 lbs back then. I think I can go back to that weight. I just need to get into the 150s to make the 140s seem feasible.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/245/160

Height: 5'7"

Who's here in June?

ME! You can call me Emi. Well, I'm late to the party, but better late than never, right?

Ok - I'm back on Metformin and have been reminded of how SICK I get when I eat too many carbs. However, I'm terrible a remembering to take meds daily, so I don't have it consistently in my system...

I'm restricting my carb intake and after the first few days of sugar craving ****, I'm doing ok - no sweet tooth here!

Taking meds regularly. Changing eating habits and building exercise habits.

How's exercise going?

Well, last week my husband and I pledged to walk just a mile in he evenings, 3 days a week. That didn't happen - resetting that pledge for this week. I'm really terrible at exercise motivation - I hate cardio and I can't afford a gym membership and I feel silly doing home exercises, especially when hubby is home. But I guess I just need to suck it up, huh?
Emiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/234/160

Height: 5'5''

Default New Chick Checking In

Who's here in June?
You can call me Trina or NerdMom, whichever.
I just started losing more than a negligible amount of weight, so I'm not sure.
I am on Day 5 of South Beach Phase 1 diet and I do feel better not eating so much carbs. I will also be making an appointment to see if I can be reconsidered for oral contraceptives since I was unable to before due to high blood pressure. Maybe I'm ready to take the Metformin plunge, too, but I'll have to discuss it with the doctor.
How's exercise going?
Ever since moving to our "summer home" (aka the in-laws' house), I haven't been doing actual workouts as often as I have been - about 3 times a week instead of 6. However, I am more active outdoors (tennis, park, chasing after my 3-year-old).
NerdMom1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Welcome!

Emi -- I use pillbox alert on my phone to beep at me for meds. I don't know if that's something that could help you.

Nerdmom -- wtg on your southbeach and doc appts coming up!

My check in:

Had internet probs. Also having crazy PMS -- which is a good thing. Cycles becoming more regular, hormones balancing etc.

The down is that I messed up exercise this past week. I am rolling with it and just picking up where I left off. Not dwell -- just push on.

A.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/245/160

Height: 5'7"

astophe: Oh cool! Thanks! I'll check that out
Emiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #12  

Almost the end of the month and I am still at the same weight!

I saw 160.0 for a second there last week (ok, more than a second!) but it's gone back up.

Boyfriend is also stalled, so we're thinking it's because we're not as diligently watching what we eat as we have been in the past.

I also my doctor and she wants me down to 145ish. And she's asked me to modify my diet to include more soups (non-creamed based) with a lot of vegetables and reduce the protein. She had considered leaving me a little higher, but she is seeing that I am small-framed...

I agree with her, I am not eating as many vegetables as I should be and soups are a way of doing it. And to eat oatmeal. I don't know why the oatmeal, though, other than maybe it makes you feel full? Obviously, oatmeal without brown sugar or dried fruit.

So, we'll see.... crossing 160 seems daunting.

I also had some desserts this past weekend that really showed me how sensitive I am to sugar nowadays. I can't do that again! My body can't handle it.

I've been traveling for work and I guess now I need to make sure that not only I can maintain this weight, but actually lose when I travel. That's even more daunting than maintaining while I travel. I guess we'll see... I have to be able to do it. Other people do it too, right?
Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #13  

Who's here in June?

Hi! I'm Hayley. I hope it's okay I join in.

I'm not currently being treated. Just trying to lose a lot of weight. Wishing to start our little family... We have been trying for what seems like FOREVER! Just hoping the weight loss will help me have a cycle.

Just working on eating right and losing this weight. No set goals... just happy to see the scale go down!

How's exercise going?

I should really do more... right now I consider cleaning my exercise... lol. Seriously though... I'm a little OCD about cleaning so it really is a work out. Also, I have a bodymedia fit... so I just try to burn at least 1000 calories more then I eat.

I'm glad I saw this thread! Wishing ya'll all the best!

Last edited by Blueeyedhay; 06-30-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Blueeyedhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Welcome Hayley! Come repost in July!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ml#post5033276

A.