Living Maintenance - Maintainers on a Losing Streak in the Summertime

Pages : [1] 2

silverbirch
05-30-2014, 09:29 AM
And we're off!

paperclippy
05-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Did an official weigh-in this morning 170.4. Need to make myself a new ticker!

ICUwishing
05-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Been at 156.0 give or take a couple for wayyyy too long; I WILL take this down a few notches before the end of this thread!

BillBlueEyes
05-30-2014, 10:19 AM
My NSV for the Spring gallop is to fit well in a blazer that looked tight last winter. Yay for the benefit of a few pounds.

alinnell
05-30-2014, 10:19 AM
I keep inching up rather than down. Some serious actions must be taken. Also, I need to remember that this isn't just for vanity but it will also help lower my blood pressure.

saef
05-30-2014, 10:57 AM
I am right back where I was four weeks ago, at the end of April. The ticker is just about true.

But I am now able to lift the heaviest weights that I've ever handled at the gym. So there's that.

And I'm in a better place emotionally, with a slightly better-balanced life, though this was not achieved effortlessly.

alinnell
05-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Ok, so I read that the average adult should get 4700 mg of potassium per day. I went over the last 90 days of MyFitnessPal food entries. I think I came in under 1000 mg EVERY DAY! I've researched the best food sources for potassium and will be having potassium-rich foods on my grocery list tomorrow. Thankfully most are diet friendly. And many are also high in calcium which my doctor recommends.

silverbirch
05-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Tell us what's on your list, Allison. Bananas? Can't think of anything else.

(from a bench. Still walking about as part of the tour of duty. We leave tomorrow but there's a certain amount of timber to be moved before that.)

traveling michele
05-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Ok, so I read that the average adult should get 4700 mg of potassium per day. I went over the last 90 days of MyFitnessPal food entries. I think I came in under 1000 mg EVERY DAY! I've researched the best food sources for potassium and will be having potassium-rich foods on my grocery list tomorrow. Thankfully most are diet friendly. And many are also high in calcium which my doctor recommends.

I drink one ZippFizz per day. It's chock full of vitamins including potassium (950 mg)

My weight is ok but I need (would like to anyway) take off a few more as a buffer before all my summer traveling kicks in. I will be in Houston for a week with dd and will try to mostly eat healthy but we are planning a few splurge meals. Then, I'll be in Napa (just overnight but we cram a lot of eating in), quickly followed by two weeks in London (planning some high teas and the like!)....

alinnell
05-30-2014, 01:31 PM
I have formulated my plan!

I'll follow the DASH diet (very similar to what I do now anyway). I will stop buying frozen entrees for my weekday lunches (to reduce sodium). I will take leftovers from my healthy DASH dinners for lunch instead. I will cut my alcohol intake. I will go decaf (slowly so I don't get a headache). And I'll see if I like green tea (never tried it, have always liked black tea).

traveling michele
05-30-2014, 02:17 PM
I have formulated my plan!

I'll follow the DASH diet (very similar to what I do now anyway). I will stop buying frozen entrees for my weekday lunches (to reduce sodium). I will take leftovers from my healthy DASH dinners for lunch instead. I will cut my alcohol intake. I will go decaf (slowly so I don't get a headache). And I'll see if I like green tea (never tried it, have always liked black tea).

I'm a total green tea convert. Love it.... it does have caffeine, though a low amount so it might be good while you're detoxing the caffeine...
What does DASH stand for?

alinnell
05-30-2014, 02:28 PM
DASH = Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension.

JayEll
05-30-2014, 03:24 PM
alinnell, you might consider Also Salt, which is a salt substitute made with potassium and lysine. See this page:

http://www.alsosalt.com/

A 1/4 teaspoon serving has 356 mg potassium, which isn't a dangerous amount, even if you had several servings in a day. And it does taste as good as salt in most foods.

Mudpie
05-30-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm at 139.6 lbs. currently - notice how I didn't round UP :lol3: to 140. Going to be down under 135 by the end of June. No alcohol and waaay less caffeine and sugar in my next 4 week's food.

Dagmar :cheer2: :cheer:

silverbirch
05-30-2014, 05:14 PM
I'm wondering about focusing on making my tummy / waist smaller through my diet and exercise. ETA: not spot reducing, obviously, but just measuring this.

Or should I go for the tried and trusted 'lose 5lbs'?

Or keep working on behaviour modification (a la Beck Diet Solution)?

I'll sleep on it.

alinnell
05-30-2014, 05:17 PM
I usually omit salt from just about anything I'm making from scratch (except bread, but I rarely make bread). I feel that most natural foods taste fine without added salt. The only thing I add salt to is steak (and I don't eat a lot of steak). I cannot, however, stand most canned goods that are canned "no salt added" or "lower sodium." If I buy canned beans, they get a good rinsing before I use them. I'm okay with no salt added tomatoes (Trader Joe's has a good one). But I really like canned green beans and that is one thing I cannot buy low sodium. Yuck.

I remember my parents buying some salt substitute years ago and remember how horrible it tasted. I'd prefer foods without anything to foods with that stuff on it. I'll look into AlsoSalt. Give it a try. Can't hurt.

yoyoma
05-31-2014, 07:06 AM
I've been bopping around a bit, but the trend is down. :) My weigh-in this morning was 140.0. Although my current goal weight is just one pound lower than that, I would like to build up a bit of a buffer for vacation and later again for the holidays.

traveling michele
05-31-2014, 10:18 AM
I bought some seasonings from flavor gods. Found them on instagram. Low but not zero sodium and very flavorful. Naturally made and delicious. Use them on everything. www.flavorgod.com

Shannon in ATL
05-31-2014, 10:36 AM
I use a lot of spice blends from Penzey's Spices - they have a lot without salt and they really fill in a lot of flavor gaps for me. I was a HEAVY salt over eater for years.

I'm flirting with 150 - never gone over 150.7, no lower than 147.5 in weeks. I need to get better. I've gotten stronger on my last weight workout plan (on it since 1/8), but no other changes other than bigger and clothes actually fit worse than when I started. I'm also stressed out all the time. My goal for summer is to lower the stress, and focus on cardio and yoga.

ICUwishing
05-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Ditto on the Penzey's. Their free samples have turned me on to a lot of blends that I wouldn't have considered, left to my own devices. We have a Penzey's store about an hour away, but they make the mail order so easy we usually just go that route.

CalCounter1003
05-31-2014, 08:08 PM
I never heard of FlavorGods - I may order too!

I reached my goal on Feb 21 - of 150. And in March and April I lost a few pounds and on May 1st I weighed 144. Now the last of the month the same! During the month I ranged from 143-147. The 147 was the day after Chinese. So I maybe found my number of calories to maintain. I have been eating around 2100 - but that is with exercising about 6 days a week. I mean it varied quite a bit (just checked MFP and looked at the range). It was anywhere from 1500-2500 but usually around 2100.

I really like this 144! I think my goal is now 144, but then I guess if I want to stay there I have to go a little lower for traveling, etc. But I don't want to go lower, haha, just stay right here! My travel time starts on June 11. I am going to be frustrated with not having my scale with me. I go to my mom's for a few days and she probably has a scale. Then when I go to my DDs rental apt in Monterey, not sure.

Anyway, I am learning a lot from all of you about how maintaining is never ending! Thanks for all the tips and sharing your struggles and successes!

When people have been asking me about my weight loss I tell them I haven't reached my goal. My goal is to keep it off! I want to be one of that tiny percentage of people who keeps it off! They look at me with a glazed look, like "why did I ask her anything!?" Oh well, I have to keep professing it aloud and to myself so that it will be.

BillBlueEyes
05-31-2014, 08:24 PM
Another fan of Penzey's Spices here. DW buys dozens of blends in addition to the basics. (Some spices, e.g. cumin, are much cheaper in bulk from an Indian market.)

A basic meal around here is grilled skinless chicken breasts. With different spices, it takes months to repeat.

alinnell
05-31-2014, 09:36 PM
I'd go crazy with Penzy's or Flavor Gods. Really. I have to tell myself that my huge collection is fine, just fine. I'll replace as they get old. There's another company, I can't remember the name right now, that at one time I started an order...and hundreds of dollars later I deleted the whole thing.

Tonight's meal--halved acorn squash with Trader Joe's Basamati Rice cooked in low sodium chicken broth and shredded rotisserie chicken. A second squash will be saved for lunches next week.

saef
06-01-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm sitting on my patio with my visiting friend, each of us immersed in our phone or laptop, tired after a day in the city. We had very late lunch (or was it early dinner?) at Great NY Noodletown, the Chinese restaurant where people go after drinking till nearly 2 AM. Tell me I will be okay after eating steamed flounder and rice noodles with veggies and taking tastes from my friend's plate of beef and hand-made rough noodles, and after not doing cardio but walking around for hours. I know I will be okay.

Afterward, some Jack fruit and rambutan on the patio that we bought from the street vendors on Canal. I wish I'd bought dragon fruit and lychees, too.

alinnell
06-01-2014, 09:07 PM
I'm not liking MyFitnessPal's view on my potassium intake...I had a banana, white beans, spaghetti squash--all of which are GOOD sources of potassium. I'm to have 4,700 mgs a day. It says I got less than 1000.

Does anyone have a good source of potassium online? (Like MFP or others where I can log food.) I know their database isn't right. And I dislike that potassium is NOT listed on food labels. ((sigh))

JayEll
06-01-2014, 10:09 PM
That banana alone should have given you just under 500 mg potassium.

neurodoc
06-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Allison, putting on my doctor hat for a moment, I want to reassure you that it's virtually impossible to be potassium deficient. Only if you take certain anti-hypertensive medications that cause the kidneys to "waste" potassium (specifically, diuretics like hydrochlorothiazide, furosemide and bumetanide) are you in danger of low potassium. This is because your kidneys actively reabsorb potassium to keep serum levels in a tight range (3.5-5 mEq/L). And, for the record, my medical textbooks as well as the Mayo Clinic Online state that adequate intake of potassium is 40-60 mEq/day (1600-2400 mg). If you're still not satisfied, go to http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/potassium-supplement-oral-route-parenteral-route/description/drg-20070753 and you will see just how trivial it is to get 2000 mg or more, even if you are limiting calories.

Now, limiting sodium is a much more difficult challenge. But even here, only "salt sensitive" people need to keep it below 2 gm/day. You can figure out if you're one of those people by doing a "sodium challenge" - when you get up in the morning, before eating, drink at least 16 ounces of plain water. Wait 30-45 minutes and take your blood pressure. That is your baseline. Then, ingest ~1 gm of table salt (in the clinic we use salt tablets; at home, I think that's a bit less than a 1/4 teaspoon). Wait an hour, don't drink or eat anything, stay calm and inactive, then take your blood pressure again. Most people have < 10 mmHg change in the top number (systolic). If you're "salt sensitive," your BP will increase by 15 points or more. If you're in the large non-sensitive group, you really don't need to severely limit dietary salt (it's never good to eat a bunch of processed food with tons of added salt and god-knows-what-else).

Ok; I'm done. I'll take down the medical shingle and go back to regular programming.

JayEll
06-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Thank you for posting this, Andrea.

traveling michele
06-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Andrea.... Another doc question for you perhaps? Allison also posted recently that her doc told her not to take calcium supplements as they're linked to heart disease. My online research (mayo clinic) said there's only a risk if you take straight calcium, not calcium coupled with vitamin d. I take supplements with d per my doc as I have osteopenia. Do you know much about it?

alinnell
06-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks Andrea. I am trying to limit my sodium as well. I am not buying the frozen entrees for lunch that we normally eat during the week. I really never salt anything, except steak and we rarely eat steak. But I'm sure there is a lot of salt in other foods.

I think I have a calorie counting book that has more values than just calories. I'll have to look for it this afternoon. That may be helpful.

yoyoma
06-02-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm sitting on my patio with my visiting friend, each of us immersed in our phone or laptop, tired after a day in the city. We had very late lunch (or was it early dinner?) at Great NY Noodletown, the Chinese restaurant where people go after drinking till nearly 2 AM. Tell me I will be okay after eating steamed flounder and rice noodles with veggies and taking tastes from my friend's plate of beef and hand-made rough noodles, and after not doing cardio but walking around for hours. I know I will be okay.

Afterward, some Jack fruit and rambutan on the patio that we bought from the street vendors on Canal. I wish I'd bought dragon fruit and lychees, too.

That sounds like a fantastic day, and you shouldn't begrudge any part of that experience. If the scale does go up, it will just be a blip, and probably water weight.

I ate out last night myself, but the scale is still on a downwards trend, with bumps along the way. I'm taking ownership of 140 on the ticker today, since I've been at or below that for 3 days. :)

alinnell
06-02-2014, 12:11 PM
I decided to look on Amazon for a book that has the values I'm looking for. I found one, albeit a bit old, but the cost of .01 was worth it! Well, S&H add 3.99 and then .32 tax, but still, a real steal. Now I'll have a better idea of both sodium and potassium!

ICUwishing
06-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Well, down 0.2 from starting point. What a long, circular road! :lol: It's all good. I have a feeling June is going to be more in the right direction. This will be day 8 of my Give it 100 on conscious movement; I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do to fulfill it - there are many good options.

saef, that sounds like a really nice weekend. Yes, you will be okay - okayness should be scale-independent! Kudos for taking some time to nourish your spirit with human connections; I'm sure your friend enjoyed it too!

JayZeeJay
06-02-2014, 02:25 PM
I looked at the Mayo Clinic link that Andrea posted - I was surprised that watermelon is such a good source of potassium! I thought it wasn't a good source of anything except water, and a bit of natural sugar.

This weekend was an adventure - our 12-person relay team ran a 178-mile race (total, not each!) over two days, at high altitude. It was a lot of fun, despite the lack of sleep, the driving, the altitude making us sick as we ran... somehow it was still a blast. Though I am now a zombie at work today.

There was one man who ran the entire thing BY HIMSELF. His name is Juan and his "team" name was Army of Juan - very clever. We were in complete awe every time we saw him on the course, he never looked tired. It made my 19 total miles seem very paltry. He was an absolute running machine.

alinnell
06-02-2014, 08:56 PM
I've just finished entering my foods into MyFitnessPal. The report shows that I've had 1716 mg of potassium. I know that can't be right. So I checked the few sources that I've found that have potassium counts on some of the foods I ate. Manually adding that up came up to 2644 mgs. Still there were things that I ate or added to my food that I couldn't count as I can't find the figures. See now why I need a source?

This is what I ate today:

1 banana
4 dried apricots
1 c cottage cheese
1/2 cup mixed fresh berries
1/2 cup yogurt
1 cup acorn squash
basamati rice with shredded chicken
chicken and spinach manicotti (with a light "Alfredo" type sauce)
salad
tomato juice

I had to guess on amounts with the manicotti that I fixed.

neurodoc
06-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Michele, here's the latest thinking on calcium for prevention of osteoporosis:

From: J Bone Metab. 2014 Feb;21(1):21-28. Epub 2014 Feb 28.
"Advocacy for the use of calcium supplements arose at a time when there were no other effective interventions for the prevention of osteoporosis. Their promotion was based on the belief that increasing calcium intake would increase bone formation. Our current understandings of the biology of bone suggest that this does not occur, though calcium does act as a weak antiresorptive. Thus, it slows postmenopausal bone loss but, despite this, recent meta-analyses suggest no significant prevention of fractures. In sum, there is little substantive evidence of benefit to bone health from the use of calcium supplements. Against this needs to be balanced the likelihood that calcium supplement use increases cardiovascular events, kidney stones, gastrointestinal symptoms, and admissions to hospital with acute gastrointestinal problems. Thus, the balance of risk and benefit seems to be consistently negative. As a result, current recommendations are to obtain calcium from the diet in preference to supplements. Dietary calcium intake has not been associated with the adverse effects associated with supplements, probably because calcium is provided in smaller boluses, which are absorbed more slowly since they come together with quantities of protein and fat, resulting in a slower gastric transit time. These findings suggest that calcium supplements have little role to play in the modern therapeutics of osteoporosis, which is based around the targeting of safe and effective anti-resorptive drugs to individuals demonstrated to be at increased risk of future fractures."

Suffice it to say, I no longer prescribe calcium supplements for my patients. I tell them to eat food. Shocking for a doctor, I know.

abbyin
06-02-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm in this! I will get these last 3 lbs off in June :yes: I'm still calorie counting but was a bit high on calories and was really tired today which equals bad eating. Need to lower my fat intake and get some exercise in tomorrow. Getting in bed early tonight :faint:

CalCounter1003
06-02-2014, 11:04 PM
I looked at the Mayo Clinic link that Andrea posted - I was surprised that watermelon is such a good source of potassium! I thought it wasn't a good source of anything except water, and a bit of natural sugar.

There was one man who ran the entire thing BY HIMSELF. His name is Juan and his "team" name was Army of Juan - very clever. We were in complete awe every time we saw him on the course, he never looked tired. It made my 19 total miles seem very paltry. He was an absolute running machine.

Watermelon is why I started calorie counting last year. I had been doing South Beach on and off for years and then switched to the 17 day diet for about a year (off and on). It was July, I was at an all time high, and I had the following thoughts: "This is ridiculous! Watermelon is low in calories and is good for me and I can't eat it because the 17 day diet says so. And I can't eat any fruit after two pm. Forget it! I'm going to count calories and eat what I want, when I want". Thank goodness for watermelon!

That is unbelievable that Juan could run that long/far. He must not of slept! That's crazy. I saw a high school girl on TV who held a plank for something like eight hours. I'm so proud of my two minutes!

Random note: I do not like cantaloupe. My whole family loves it so I buy it for them. I wish I liked it because they rave about how great it is every summer. There is a stinky one in the refrigerator now, haha.

traveling michele
06-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Thanks Andrea! I'll definitely talk to my doc at my physical this summer about this.

JayEll
06-03-2014, 07:41 AM
My non-medical opinion is that people need vitamin D supplements more. What do you think about that, Andrea?

A doc told me that most Americans test low on the vitamin D blood test. (And I do, too.) People living north of 34 degrees latitude (think a line through San Francisco) don't get enough UV in winter to make vitamin D at that time. I live far south of that, but another factor is that people are using sunscreen so much that they block their own production. Or, they avoid going out in the sun.

I test low, and my doc has me taking extra D. I'm also trying to get the 15 minutes of direct sunlight per day. As a child, I had borderline rickets, so I might have a biochemical problem as well.

JayZeeJay
06-03-2014, 11:43 AM
That is unbelievable that Juan could run that long/far. He must not of slept! That's crazy. I saw a high school girl on TV who held a plank for something like eight hours. I'm so proud of my two minutes!

Random note: I do not like cantaloupe. My whole family loves it so I buy it for them. I wish I liked it because they rave about how great it is every summer. There is a stinky one in the refrigerator now, haha.

An eight hour plank. No way. Really! Like, with no rest at all?

I too despite cantaloupe. It is the only fruit I really hate.

The vitamin D debate is interesting. I've seen some tentative links made between chronic vitamin D deficiency and diseases like MS, particularly in women of certain ethnic backgrounds, and with heart disease. But, there is conflicting information as to the need for dietary supplementation in people that get enough sunlight (too much, in my case). Here's one article I saw recently (the part about living north of Atlanta meaning you can't get enough vitamin D in winter was interesting!):
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/heart/articles/2008/06/23/time-in-the-sun-how-much-is-needed-for-vitamin-d

Not sure where that puts me - I'm not elderly or particularly dark skinned, so I'm not in a risk group for deficiency. And I live on the San Francisco "line" per JayEll's post.

krampus
06-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Hello maintainers,

I've put my body through the wringer with 2 weeks of hiking, a week of steep deficit calories followed by a music festival with copious amounts of dancing, eating less than was burned, and other associated things. I've been craving SLEEP like nothing else, and have overeaten to varying degrees on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. All were instances of social overeating, not binging.

I anticipate a dropoff in the urge to overeat. For now, I have no appetite as BF's stepdad passed away last night, and times are sad. I will probably cancel on a friend's baby shower to play violin at his funeral, depending on when it is held.

CalCounter1003
06-03-2014, 07:44 PM
So sorry Krampus about your BF's stepdad. Hope BF and family are okay.

traveling michele
06-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Krampus-- I'm also sorry to hear about BF's stepdad. Deaths are never easy.

I'm looking for a little willpower at the moment. I went into the staff room (to potty) not remembering they were having an ice cream sundae party for staff with all the toppings. It was all I could do to drag myself out of there. So far so good but now I need to stop thinking/obsessing about it.

In other food news, a new Sprouts just opened by me. I went to their pre-grand opening last night with dd and it looks like a very nice store. Picked up a few deals and will definitely be back as I'm sick to death of my Safeway which is my nearest store. I also love Trader Joes and go there on Sundays but it's not very close to me. What grocery stores to you frequent/love?

alinnell
06-04-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm on my way to Trader Joe's after work to pick up a few things. It's a little out of the way so I don't go as often as I'd like. Almost all my other grocery shopping is done at Albertson's. We get a Whole Foods in the fall. We used to have a place called Henry's but the name has been changed. I think it was bought out by Sprouts. I'll have to check next time I'm out that way. I've been in there a few times but it doesn't seem anything special to me at all. Yes, I just Googled it, it is Sprouts.

Do you shop at Smart & Final? I used to LOVE going there when I needed large serving dishes and whatnot for Thanksgiving. Lots of great deals on cleaning supplies and party supplies. The last time I was in there it was more than half grocery items. And nothing that was a better deal than at the grocery store. I don't like that at all.

BillBlueEyes
06-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Sending supportive thoughts, krampus, to you, your BF and family.

yoyoma
06-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Krampus, my condolences to your BF and you. Playing music is a touching way to reach out to others in grief.

Michele, kudos to stepping away from the make-your-own Sunday bar... that would be hard to face!

I enjoy browsing at Trader Joe's but I don't buy much there. The produce is cheaper elsewhere and the products are usually too more-ish. I love the chili dried mango, but I only buy it once in a great while.

CalCounter1003
06-04-2014, 06:10 PM
They are building a Trader Joes fairly close by so I'm excited to have that available but I know it will probably be so crowded I won't want to go. I had never been to a Trader Joes until my DD started going to college in NYC and she became obsessed with it . Even though she has to take the subway to get there she says it is worth the cost and selection. I went with her once when I visited and it was unreal...the lines were soooooo long but very organized. It was a little intense for me! She says there is one close by to her apt in Monterey so I'll get to shop there soon!
All we really have is Publix. There is a Whole Foods but too far away and too expensive for me.

ICUwishing
06-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Krampus, sorry to hear about the sad times. Wishing you all peace and a smooth transition through the grief.

Michele, you are a dessert management warrior princess! Dang! :dizzy: As far as stores go, I love Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, but they are an hour away (probably a good thing). We have a terrific CSA that I need to use more effectively, as they have local sources for free-range, crazy bug-fed, chickens-being-chickens and also free-range, mud-wallowing, dirt snuffling, pigs-being-pigs. We'll be out of purchased produce here shortly, as DH expanded the garden by a factor of 3 this year to allow room for the roamy stuff like melons and big-area like potatoes. The grapevine installation went in this spring too. And while we lost two young cherry trees to the horrid winter and the peaches were hurt, all the apples and pears (9 trees) are looking really, really good. :drool:

I am buzzing from the ribs up today. After being extremely sedentary through most of May, I got it in my head to go swimming and get back in with a bang - a one hour swim-for-distance with my team. Made it just over two miles, for 138 lengths. Ow.

alinnell
06-05-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm so jealous of all of you with gardens...

Krampus~hugs to you and your BF.

One more week and my DS is home from his first year of college!!

Exercise has been scarce for me. That's not good. But who has the humph to exercise when it's 107 outside? And it'll be 112 this weekend, so no golf.

saef
06-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Krampus, I am sorry, but at the same time, I think it's wonderful that you can participate in the ceremony and give the attendees some music, as I find that music is one way to focus one's feelings intensely and of course, express what's so complex & difficult to express.

One sign of my age: Now whenever someone announces a death, I find myself wondering if it was the long, drawn-out kind, expected but still a shock when it really happens -- or completely unexpected and surprising.

I go to regular mass-market grocery stores, but just as regularly, I go to a small, specialized Latino-owned greengrocer that has nearly wholesale prices on produce.

Far less frequently, I go to Trader Joe's, maybe once every six or seven weeks. I use Whole Foods primarily to grab a sit-down lunch from its enormous salad and prepared food bar; I hardly ever shop there. Strangely enough, your posts on this happened on a day when I shopped at the one that's about three miles from me, and where I hardly ever go because it's in a busy mall with paid-for parking garages. The store makes me uneasy, it's like entering a church for a religion that I don't belong to.

krampus
06-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. It was lung cancer, slow decline, lots of morphine, still difficult though.

BF's mom needs all the support she can get - her health and $ situation are not great. I am trying to figure out what I can do to make this easier/help her in the future.

Grocery store-wise - I like Trader Joe's and the cheapo Chinese supermarket around here, ShopRite is good too. I'm very lucky to be ~10 min from Trader Joe's, and the new Whole Foods is being built right down the road from TJs - I won't patronize them too much most likely, $$$ and also because their CEO has said some things I can't ignore.

alinnell
06-05-2014, 08:12 PM
It is definitely summer here. I just downloaded 12 new salad recipes to keep the cool. I think more spinach instead of romaine will be better, too.

paperclippy
06-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Krampus, sorry about BF's stepdad.

In terms of where I tend to buy groceries, Meijer is my top pick overall. It's a big box store but it's done the opposite of Walmart -- basically Meijer is a grocery store with other stuff attached, whereas Walmart is an other-stuff store with a grocery attached. Meijer typically has better produce than the other local supermarkets (Marsh, Kroger) and has lower prices.

That said, it's really annoying to shop there sometimes. In terms of shopping experience, I prefer The Fresh Market. Less crowded, they play classical music, it's smaller, and you never have to wait in line...but it is $$$ :lol: It also doesn't have as much variety.

I buy almost all my meat (all unprocessed meat anyway) at a local butcher shop that uses human farming practices. We've been going to the farmer's market for veggies and meats too, and also to Costco lately since we got a membership.

ICUwishing
06-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Jessica, thanks for reminding me about Meijer (smh). My closest grocery store is part of the Spartan chain but was locally owned - it was a fantastic spot to shop until they sold it. Prices began to creep up, organic produce shrunk and shrunk, the weird nifty boutique foods started to disappear ... and then I found out I could get all my basics at Meijer for about 10% less. It's a hike, but I did the math and it's worth the extra driving.

I've decided to venture into the "Chicks Up For a Challenge" thread. They are about to start a 3 month challenge that starts Jun 15. I am feeling more and more ready to resolutely go after some extra inches on my backside; now I have to formulate my goals and personal contract. :chin:

JayZeeJay
06-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Ugh, I am suddenly melting down a bit with wedding stress. I thought I was dealing with everything pretty well, but my heart has been racing all morning and I'm shaking, and it's obviously anxiety. I am trying to squeeze in wedding emails and phone calls whenever possible but it's making me go insane, having this on top of a 60 hr/wk job. And work is as busy as ever - I have 3 abstracts and one grant due this week, for example. Why did I sign on for this??

The worst part is having to come up with everything myself. Our venue is (I'm realizing) quite inconvenient from a vendor perspective so there will need to be a lot of coordination with various people meeting delivery people (or driving to pick things up) then taking everything up the mountain and dealing with it up there. I will have to arrange all of this and tell everyone where to be every second of the day.

My fiance likes to say "how can I help?", but what this means is I give him a small, well-defined task that he will then take a month to complete, and will need my advice the whole time. He is just not that interested in this whole thing and has absolutely no initiative to think of things himself. It clearly hasn't occurred to him that I feel the same, but I don't have the luxury of not caring. His mother likes to ask me "aren't you SO excited?" and I have to resist the urge to hit her - she has no idea what is going on, only that she will show up and there will be a wedding.

OK, sorry for the vent. Today seems to have been a turning point in my stress. I realized that I have 3 weeks left to get this all together. Why on earth I didn't hire a wedding planner is beyond me. I thought with a smaller wedding it wouldn't be necessary. The price of stupidity... must not compensate by shoveling crackers into my mouth at top speed. Which I have been doing.

paperclippy
06-06-2014, 01:24 PM
JayZee, wedding planning is seriously the worst! You might want to consider finding a day-of coordinator even though it's last minute. We had hired a wedding coordinator who then had a midlife crisis and went AWOL a few weeks before our wedding. Luckily we were able to find someone else to take over and they did an amazing job of handling all the last-minute stress that was going to drive me bonkers (like the venue losing our contract and trying to charge us more than the contract said, the fact that the first coordinator had never actually passed along the money we gave him to our musicians so they weren't actually booked, dealing with my MIL's crazy ideas, etc.).

Anyway IMO a day-of coordinator is absolutely 100% worth every penny.

JayZeeJay
06-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Jessica, thanks - I actually called a bunch of day-of businesses last weekend, but struck out all 8 times. All were booked on the day.

ETA: I am feeling a lot better now - the whining I did earlier seems to have un-stuck a big gooey glob of anxiety. This thing will happen and be over and it just doesn't matter that much. A healthy dose of world news just now helped that message to sink in. I can re-focus on my work and remember the reason that I do it - because I hope to make a real difference to the health of the world's people and animals.
P.S. Go Chrome!!

neurodoc
06-06-2014, 10:44 PM
JZJ: 1) DF is a big boy, he can handle it, it's time to unburden yourself of a REAL chunk of the last-minute responsibilities (e.g., "I need you to figure out who's going to meet the caterer, the florist and the decorator and get all their stuff up the mountain to our venue, and then make those arrangements. Email me the details once it's worked out."). No offense, but "he's just not that into it" is not an acceptable excuse to shirk the work in 2014, especially when he sees how frazzled you are.
2) See if you can coax a friend, or the mother of a friend who's good with details to be your day-of assistant, even if she's also invited to your wedding as a guest (heck; my maid of honor served this role for me; seriously). Bribe her with the promise of a home-made dinner at a later date, or whatever you think she'd appreciate.
3) Put down the crackers and pick up a bag of baby carrots. Or better yet, turn off the laptop and get an early night.

I'm amused that our usual "food porn" posts have been temporarily replaced by "supermarket porn." I am totally completely jealous of all of you with hip, trendy stores like Trader Joe's, Costco and Whole Foods in your area. I make do with Meijer (my go-to for just about everything), plus a medium-sized non-chain health food store (as overpriced as Whole Paycheck but not nearly as good) and several smallish Asian grocery stores for cool things like nori, rice vinegar and edamame.

Scale has not moved at all the last few weeks. At least I've been done with the last flare of my irritable bowel long enough that the bloat is off again, so my sidebar data are currently accurate.

Mudpie
06-07-2014, 06:15 AM
I am, as it turns out, going through alcohol detox. I was a heavy drinker :hat: in my 20's and part of my 30's and, when I quit for good, I experienced a series of symptoms for about 8 weeks :tired: :barf: during my initial non-drinking phase. Then I drank nothing for close to 20 years.

For the last two years or so I've been drinking "a bit" (according to my DH and my family's yardsticks) on the weekends. Couple of beers or half a bottle of wine etc.

Now that I've stopped again for good (the resulting 4-day :tired: sleep disturbances were just not worth the small alcohol buzz :twirly: on the weekends) I'm experiencing the same sugar cravings :drool: and big weird dreams that I had when detoxing the first time. I didn't clue in to this last week (I've been "dry" for just under 2 weeks) because I didn't think I was drinking a lot.

Apparently my body doesn't agree. :lol:

Dagmar :strong:

traveling michele
06-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Glad you're feeling a bit calmer JZJ. I agree with Andrea. FiancÚ needs to step up and help.

Dagmar.... Stay strong! The alcohol isn't worth it.

ICUwishing
06-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Dagmar, it's interesting that so little alcohol (I must have the same yardstick your family uses) causes you long-range cravings. For me, the next drink over what you described will cause a lousy night's sleep, but up til now, I haven't given sugar cravings any thought. :chin: Good luck beating the demon - sounds like you're on the downhill side of it!

Andrea, good to hear you're feeling better!

JZJ, yay for unstuck anxiety blobs! World news just makes me annoyed and bummed out. I live out in the sticks where there's not much light pollution - getting a good look at the Milky Way tends to yank me back to center pretty well. ;)

JayZeeJay
06-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Dagmar: ditto to staying strong. Now that you have realized what the recent episodes did to your body, remember how much better it is to sleep well, not have the cravings, etc.

Andrea: OK, thanks - I have a bad habit of being an "it's only done right when I do it" person, I needed to be kicked gently to remember that. Today I will delegate some REAL tasks to him.

ICU: I wish we had great stars to look at but this is far too urban an area. Last week when we ran the relay in the Sierras, I did have a moment during my 3 am (ugh) run through the the high desert, in the pitch darkness, when I looked up and was dazzled by the sheer light of all the stars. There was no moon.
Sadly, I find my anger at current events is one of my best motivational tools. Rage centers me :dizzy:

Mudpie
06-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Interesting note on the "I have to do it if I want it done right" school of thought. I was like that with DH and wound up doing almost everything and resenting it. I gave him tasks and then redid them when his work wasn't "up to standard".

Then I realized he was doing this on purpose so that he could get out of doing laundry, dishes, bed-making, etc. etc. I decided he would do these tasks his way and I would :sssh:. Life is too short and there are other things I'd rather be doing than policing his housework.

That said we are now tentatively planning our first vacation together since 1999. He suggested Cuba and I agreed. I told him he would plan this one since I did the one in 1999. He agreed. I then promptly turned around and started talking to people who'd been there, looking online and at guidebooks in the bookstore, and the like. I have caught myself in time.

No matter how :crazy: it makes me I will not take over.

Dagmar :spin:

traveling michele
06-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Cuba sounds fascinating! As you're probably aware, us US citizens can't readily travel there.

saef
06-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Dagmar, you're reminding me of something that happened earlier this year. A good friend from college who works at Google sent around an email from our alumni publication, offering a college-sponsored alumni trip to Cuba. U.S. citizens can travel in Cuba for educational purposes, and my friend was excited because Cuba is on her bucket list. But when we looked at the cost of the trip, I could afford it, and she could afford it, but our other friends -- who work at non-profit arts organizations or teach part-time while practicing their art -- would not be able to manage. This can be so awkward, the lines that money can draw between people who get along really well. I see it on the Internet, too, where people pick and choose the forums they want to hang out in because they don't feel comfortable in the general conversation about what people are doing (and obviously spending).

In fact, I worry about this particular forum sometimes ... have we made people uncomfortable over that in the past and sent them off elsewhere? There have to be more maintainers than just us, right?

Anyway, I'm not going to Cuba. Or at least, not on the alumni trip.

alinnell
06-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Gah. I've been concentrating on eating more fruits and vegetables--especially those high in potassium and what do I have to show for it? A two pound gain. It doesn't seem fair at all.

Less than 6 weeks until DD's wedding. Something's got to change.

And speaking of DD, she got in a car accident last night. She was parked, her passengers about to exit, the back door open and WHAM! a car backed into the open back door, shoving it forward and crunching it to the point where neither that door or the driver's door will open (or close properly). At least she wasn't at fault. She was parked! And no, no one was hurt.

silverbirch
06-08-2014, 02:29 PM
In fact, I worry about this particular forum sometimes ... have we made people uncomfortable over that in the past and sent them off elsewhere? There have to be more maintainers than just us, right?

I think this may be one reason. I think another may be that there is an optimum number of participants on a thread and that numbers tend towards that. I'm not sure what this number is, perhaps about 12?

I didn't know about US citizens and Cuba.

neurodoc
06-08-2014, 05:19 PM
I have often wondered why we keep losing [many] participants on this thread, and sort of assumed that lots of folks either don't find us amusing, or decide they don't fit the "got to goal weight but now up 5-10 pounds again" criterion, or for whatever thousand other reasons decide to find their support in another forum (or thread). The one thing I'd never considered was Silverbirch's statement about an optimum number of participants on a thread. If true, that would be worthy of a social psychology or electronic media research project. Makes me wonder what the parameters are (how many posts can you read in a single day; how many different personalities are compatible, etc).

I think I may have shifted another pound downward, but I'm going to hold off declaring victory until I see it on the scale a couple days running. I swear my sig should be "clawing my way back to goal" considering how slowly it's going.

bargoo
06-08-2014, 10:32 PM
I love this thread but am mostly lurking.Many of you know I have cancer , that cuts down on most of my activities but I am still interested in what my friends are doing.

paperclippy
06-09-2014, 08:02 AM
168.4 this morning! I haven't managed to get back into the habit of daily weighing yet, but I'm encouraged by that number being less than the last time. I haven't started counting calories yet so we'll see how far I can get just from portion control. I have gone back to my old small lunchbox and bought a bunch of veggies to cook healthy meals this week.

Goal for this week: work out at least once. I'm not pumping at work anymore so I have my lunch break back for exercise.

Andrea, that would be an interesting study. I think though that part of it is that in maintenance, people tend to come over to this forum when they hit goal, then disappear shortly after. Either they are maintaining successfully and don't need the support, or they're getting complacent and end up regaining, at which point they either come back here or are too embarrassed to admit that they regained and we don't hear from them again. There is some turnover in the forum participants over the years but it's pretty slow. I can think of a pretty good number of people I used to see here all the time who I have not heard from in ages, and some of you guys are still relatively new (lol, by "new" I mean "have been on maintenance forum only a couple years).

alinnell
06-09-2014, 09:28 AM
I've been thinking of you, bargoo. Keep up the good fight!

Jessica~I need to start working on portion control myself. Since cutting out the sodium-rich frozen diet entrees for lunch, I've been taking leftovers. Obviously those portions are more than I need. I should cut down on dinner portions as well.

But last night's dinner had to have been uber healthy: an Asian style cobb salad. the dressing had just 1 T of sesame oil with rice vinegar, 1 tsp sugar and ginger, soy and garlic. The salad: a bed of Romain with "stripes" of grated carrot, scallions, shredded chicken, avocado, hard boiled egg and mandarin oranges. Simply delicious!

krampus
06-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Dagmar, good luck waiting out the cravings. It seems to come with W/D from all kinds of different substances - I had massive sugar cravings when I was quitting cigarettes, and people I know who have gotten into harder things definitely had carb cravings.

And have a great time planning your Cuba trip (and taking the trip, too)! It looks BEAUTIFUL there.

traveling michele
06-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Also thinking of you Bargoo. Glad you are checking in periodically.

BillBlueEyes
06-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Sending supportive thoughts to Bargoo - and condolences that your horse didn't win the Triple Crown. "Cowards," right!

Methinks there's something to the notion that a thread has some maximum number of folks hanging by. It just wouldn't work with 50; I once posted on the Beck thread in the early days for a few months with just one other person. That small a number only worked because we were both determined to complete the 42 day program.

Shannon in ATL
06-09-2014, 10:47 AM
The number of participants in a thread probably has something to do with it. Also, I agree that some people reach goal and pop in for a little, are content with their maintenance and pop back out. The same reasons already mentioned - some may not need the support, some may not feel inspired by the fact that several of us are above goal and working our way back down, maybe some regain and don't feel comfortable admitting it. Dunno. I always thought that 3FC would be transitional during the losing process and I would then wander away, but I've been here for years now. :)

paperclippy
06-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Shannon, I wandered away from 3FC for a while after reaching my goal, but came back when I was starting to have trouble being motivated to keep up the work.

bargoo
06-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Sending supportive thoughts to Bargoo - and condolences that your horse didn't win the Triple Crown. "Coward.

We are not gong to discuss that, are we , Bill ?

Mudpie
06-10-2014, 09:28 AM
I find there's a core group on each forum, at least for the two forums I've been with. Sometimes one of them leaves permanently (Meg here as far as I know) and sometimes people drift away and then reappear. I tend to pick one group and stick with it if that's where I am re weight. Since I have been maintaining (with a small regain) I stay here. And will stay here as this is the stage I'll be at for a long time I think.

Kinda like a little family. AWW :lol:

Dagmar :dizzy:

ICUwishing
06-10-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm getting my toes wet, soon, in open-water lake swimming. My coach is a formidable personality and loooooves to push people beyond what they think they can do. So I'm going to be a "swim angel", which is sorta like a pacer in a road race, for the half-mile swim in August. Much as I love to swim, lakes are my least favorite place to do it. Between seaweed and muck and andandandand ... thank goodness I have til August to desensitize. I am wondering what the heck I've gotten myself into.

alinnell
06-10-2014, 10:21 AM
I think it's a comfort zone thing. A while back I joined a challenge and tried to fit in there but it wasn't as comfortable as here, so here I stay.

Becky, I'm not too familiar with natural lakes as we're more used to reservoirs but I agree with the muck statement. And for those down south where the waters become warmer I'd be afraid of those amoebas.

I'm making strides in my sodium reduction, potassium increase and other stuff related to DASH. I'm weaning myself off of caffeine. I've bought a BP monitor and check my BP at least once a day. After a little over a week I am noticing a slight reduction in my BP so my changes must be working!

paperclippy
06-10-2014, 01:00 PM
I feel accomplished today because I WENT TO THE GYM for the first time since my first trimester of pregnancy over a year ago. I clearly have a long way to go to get back in shape. Also a little more uncomfortable disrobing in the locker room since I have this ridiculous big saggy belly now. I need to do some research on the best exercises for diastasis recti.

Becky, the hardest thing for me about lake swimming is not being able to see anything underwater. In the triathlons I did a few years back I did one swim in a reservoir and two swims in a canal. I feel like training in a pool didn't quite prepare me properly for not being able to see where I was going.

traveling michele
06-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Hooray Jessica! That's awesome!!

neurodoc
06-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Jessica: http://inspiredrd.com/2013/11/5-exercises-to-heal-diastasis.html
My OB-GYN friend recommends this too: http://www.diastasisrehab.com/what-is-tupler-technique but I'm always a bit wary of sites that want to sell you something.

silverbirch
06-11-2014, 08:13 AM
You'll remember that no butter and peanut butter streak I had a few months ago. Well, I'm pleased to report that the no peanut butter part has stuck. In fact, I don't buy it any more. This is linked to two things: I don't eat it anymore and the particular 'only peanuts' brand comes from a wholefood shop I don't have time to get to at the present point in my busy life. I hadn't realised that until this morning when the SO said he was getting his hair cut tomorrow and might go to this shop to buy some peanut butter.

Yes, life is very busy.

And that means that the butter part of the streak has made a reappearance in my life. Not so good. To streak or not to streak? This is one of the variables I'm juggling with.

I went to see my trainer yesterday. I'm very pleased with the weights programme which is working well and having a good effect on my body. And it's also indicating the areas which are made, frankly, of too much fat. So, as I'm feeling fairly strong and injury-free, I'm thinking of taking up formal cardio again. As I gave up my gymn-membership and have no access to a rower (my favourite cardio), and I have a dodgy recent history of running and I'm pressed for time, I'm thinking of hill climbing. We've got any number of classic hill climbs round here but I'm busy so it would be up and down a track in a park in the town I take the DB to every morning until mid July. Say eight times. I haven't gone firm on this so it's another variable.

Whilst I'm listing them, I'll tell you about a fairly large piece of work I'm doing across all the 32 boroughs in London (I don't live there), that the builders are coming tomorrow for a week or so (no kitchen), that several field walls are to be rebuilt from Monday, that the DB's exams start shortly, that I'm a bit concerned about the elderly wing of the fam, that the SO is a bit short of sleep.

My new dress is wonderful, though. And I've just bought another in the same style which is, probably not coincidentally, the same style as my school summer uniform 1966-1971. It's a style which anyone can wear.

:grouphug:

ETA: Jessica, that's just wonderful news!

paperclippy
06-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the links Andrea!

Mudpie
06-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Becky Wetsuit. Easier to swim in a "shortie" but the "longies" physically and mentally protect against anything "yucky" in open water. I have done some unexpected swimming (kayaks tip quite regularly) and was much less put off by having that layer of neoprene on. Weeds fall right off it without leaving slime on your body etc.

Dagmar :eek: :swim:

Exhale15
06-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Well, I've been back to work for about a year & regained my losses and then some. If I get on the scale I won't want to leave the house!

Lost the weight by: no work stress, ate at home, pilates , walking. Now I 'm up at 5:15 am and home 7:30 pm. Eat bad, no exercise, exhausted during the week. Glad I'm back to work , like the office, but really looking & feeling a mess.

I felt so good back then, now :(

Starting a ballet class this weekend. Hoping to get my mojo back :?:

alinnell
06-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Dang, that's a long day Exhale15! I'm up at 5, at work by 7, but usually leave the office between 3 and 4. But having motivational issues trying to get myself to work out.

Mudpie
06-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Exhale :wave: We all lose our motivation at one time or another. You're taking a ballet class? Cool! :cp:

Dagmar :yoga:

yoyoma
06-12-2014, 06:46 AM
I've had some reunion activities and extra business/distraction keeping me from exercising, and now the scale is up about about 2 lbs from where I was. I'm hoping most of it will flush out but without more time to exercise, I'm not sure it will.

ICUwishing
06-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I am plugging away at developing my "fat camp contract" for 6/15-9/7. I've decided to focus on inch losses that will get me into size 8 pants, and on decreasing the number my scale says is my fat%. I got out my skinfold calipers and measuring tape - Saturday morning I'll log my starting stats. :P Woot! :carrot:

traveling michele
06-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Welcome back Exhale. I hope you enjoy the ballet class and it helps you regain your mojo!

I have my work party challenge tonight. I think I've decided my strategy. The party is from 2-5 and it is "catered" (whatever that means) and staff are bringing desserts. I think I'll go from 2-3:30 or so and not eat (I will have had lunch and it's not dinner time, so that's acceptable, right?). I was going to try to figure out what they are catering but I'm sure it's not healthy-- I'm guessing pasta. Then, I'll go home and exercise-- either my Insanity DVD or a run/walk. I promised dd we'd go to a pizza place tonight-- it's actually not too bad diet wise-- extremely thin crust with veggies and you order by the slice-- I always get two slices and it's not much food. Crossing my fingers that my plan works....

It's our last day with kids at school (and they have early dismissal). I work through next Thursday and leave Friday for Houston....

Shannon in ATL
06-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Hey there Exhale and Yoyoma. Good to see you. :)

DH wants to go to Cancun for our anniversary. I need to get my fanny in gear if that is going to happen. LOL

traveling michele
06-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Hey there Exhale and Yoyoma. Good to see you. :)

DH wants to go to Cancun for our anniversary. I need to get my fanny in gear if that is going to happen. LOL

That sounds divine! When is your anniversary??

traveling michele
06-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Speaking of places hubby's want to travel to, I'm facing one of my own. My dh's brother lives in Hong Kong (his other brother lives in London and we're visiting him this summer). My relationship with Hong Kong brother has always been strained. We went to Hong Kong three times to visit, attend his wedding, etc. His first wedding was in Hawaii and we went there too. When he had his first dd 6 years ago, they happened to be traveling to Rome and decided to baptize her there. Now, his wife is PG with number 2 and they are planning on returning to Rome to baptize number 2. We didn't go to first baptism as we thought it was pretty ludicrous. Now, dh wants to go to this one as his whole family will be going. His family is crazy. The baptism will be in September, right after I've gone back to school which would be a terrible time for me to take off. Dh says "Don't you want to go to Italy?!". Yes, HELLO! Just not with your crazy relatives..... not sure that I'll get out of it though. Dh is with his brother now in China as his brother is there on business. I'm sure they're planning the trip that I don't want to go on. Sigh....

ICUwishing
06-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Ooo, Shannon! Sounds fun! :)

Michele, looks like a workable plan!

yoyoma, I have the time to exercise; I just don't. I wish I could donate it to you, :lol: All you can do is the best you can!

Shannon in ATL
06-12-2014, 10:56 AM
It is in November, Michele. Plenty of time to prepare. :)

alinnell
06-12-2014, 01:17 PM
My friend is suggesting a trip to Peru in a couple of years. While I'd love to go she often has the idea that trips need to be full of action whereas I like to loaf a bit. I can just see me, someone who lives at or below sea level, trying to scale Machu Picchu. What with the air being thinner and my being out of shape I'd be out of breath (and she'd be razzing me about it) within minutes. Has anyone been there?

JayEll
06-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Machu Picchu is at almost 8,000 ft. You might want to do some hiking up at Brighton before you go! ;)

alinnell
06-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Machu Picchu is at almost 8,000 ft. You might want to do some hiking up at Brighton before you go! ;)

It's also a 4 day hike to get there via the Inca trail. I know that's the way she'd prefer to go. She just got back from Nepal where she and her son did a 4 or 5 day hike.

Mudpie
06-12-2014, 08:23 PM
It's also a 4 day hike to get there via the Inca trail. I know that's the way she'd prefer to go. She just got back from Nepal where she and her son did a 4 or 5 day hike.

Allison There is a bus that will drive you up the mountain to Machu Picchu. And a lunch spot on a terrace that provides a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. The site itself has all sorts of trails and staircases but they are not strenuous. I took some altitude accomodation meds before and after the trip there. My two group mates did not - one got a headache for which he drank large amounts of coca tea and the other was fine.

It is truly a spectacular place. We arrived in the rain and mist and walked around and it was like being transported into some other magical realm. I suffer from vertigo so was able to lose my group and walked around by myself just feeling the vibes. Amazing!

Dagmar :cool:

alinnell
06-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Allison There is a bus that will drive you up the mountain to Machu Picchu. And a lunch spot on a terrace that provides a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. The site itself has all sorts of trails and staircases but they are not strenuous. I took some altitude accomodation meds before and after the trip there. My two group mates did not - one got a headache for which he drank large amounts of coca tea and the other was fine.

It is truly a spectacular place. We arrived in the rain and mist and walked around and it was like being transported into some other magical realm. I suffer from vertigo so was able to lose my group and walked around by myself just feeling the vibes. Amazing!

Oh, I don't doubt that there is a bus. And I'd much prefer to take such bus, but I KNOW that if I go with my friend, she will insist on the hike. I'd much prefer getting up there the easy way and spending all day exploring the place.

saef
06-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Going the wrong way with my weight: Up two pounds this week, entirely due to not eating sensibly.

I have developed a dangerous affinity for Trader Joe's plain unsweetened dried fruit, like pineapple and apple, and its freeze-dried fruit, like the bananas, apples and yes, the cranberries, tart as they are. I don't eat white sugar but that doesn't mean I don't crave concentrated sweetness; otherwise I'd be eating the un-dried fruit avidly.

traveling michele
06-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Going the wrong way with my weight: Up two pounds this week, entirely due to not eating sensibly.

I have developed a dangerous affinity for Trader Joe's plain unsweetened dried fruit, like pineapple and apple, and its freeze-dried fruit, like the bananas, apples and yes, the cranberries, tart as they are. I don't eat white sugar but that doesn't mean I don't crave concentrated sweetness; otherwise I'd be eating the un-dried fruit avidly.

Oh yes-- those are dangerous. I can't buy them, along with many other things (grapes!!)...

My work party proved hard to resist. Very hard indeed. They catered chipotle! It looked and smelled amazing and I was the only one not having any. If I had known, maybe I would have skipped lunch and had some. That's the thing though-- I had breakfast and lunch before going. The party started at 2. I would still eat dinner so I'd have an extra meal for the day. I don't know how people do that. I also avoided the desserts like the plague (and the copious alcohol). I was doing well until everyone started raving about some of the homemade desserts and I came close to caving... I took that as my cue to sneak out and leave. I went home and dd and I went geocaching! Quite fun and we got a good 90 minute hike/walk in-- some of it was quite challenging. Hopefully we'll go again soon! The scale was down .2 today which isn't much, but I know it would have been WAY up if I had succumbed to chipotle and desserts.

Going to meet our new vice principal today. Everyone seems excited about the choice so I'm hopeful.

ICUwishing
06-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Michele, you are far more dedicated than me! Of course, Chipotle is readily available and if I wanted it I know where to get it. I hear you loud and clear about the extra meal. Well done on being sociable and making a graceful early exit!

saef, I'm in the same boat this week. I'd forgotten about some unsulphured organic dried figs ... til DH put them on a salad a couple of days ago. I won't go into the details, but too many figs tends to cause other issues. :eek:

Machu Picchu is on my bucket list, but international travel somehow doesn't appeal to me quite the way it used to, unfortunately. I'm pretty burned out on news of what atrocities my fellow humans are perpetrating on each other these days.

traveling michele
06-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Becky-- Chipotle is right around the corner from me and luckily I had just had it a few days ago with dd so the cravings weren't too bad. And they didn't have sofritas which is my protein of choice.

The parents have provided Starbucks coffee for us this morning and it is strong-- I'm buzzing already and flying around! Whoo!!!

Friday the 13th!? Lucky or unlucky? My dad always felt it was a lucky day but maybe that's because he was born on April Fools Day!

Father's Day plans? My hubby will still be gone so none for me. I will have to call FIL as I forgot to send a card in time.

Tomorrow we are doing the Weiner Races with Dewey! Wish us luck! I'm just hoping he runs. We found hilarious youtube videos of weiner races-- some of the doggies run while others meander to the bushes!

alinnell
06-13-2014, 11:19 AM
We have a Chipotle not far from where we live but I've never been to that one. We went to another a couple years back and I was unimpressed. Could it be I ordered the wrong item? I hear raves about them all the time (I do like their purchasing mentality) but didn't see anything special. Del Taco on the other hand...

I've been adding a few dried apricots to my diet. Not too many to be a problem (in any sense of the word!) but just to get a little extra potassium. I've decided bananas are off my menu. While I like them they always ripen too fast. I like mine when they still have a tinge of green and once the first brown spot appears they're too far gone (IMO) for my pleasure. I have just one left but it may end up in the garbage as I don't have the freezer space to save it for something.

CalCounter1003
06-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Friday the 13th is lucky for me. I found out I was pregnant with my DS - after trying for several years on a Friday the 13th. So I always considered it a lucky day since then. :)

We are going to a German restaurant and watching world cup there for Father's Day. My DH's mom is from Munich and both he and she speak German, as does my DS. I understand it somewhat, but not good at speaking. The food is not that great IMHO, but that's where he wanted to go. He obsesses over World Cup every four years which is weird because he doesn't watch it much any other time.

alinnell
06-13-2014, 12:44 PM
My husband took German. He can say one phrase which basically says, I speak German, but not so good. I'm the same with French.

I took a long look at the full moon this morning when I got up, hoping that Friday the 13th with a full moon wouldn't be bad for me. But so far it isn't working. My office assistant hasn't been in all week and called in sick again today. Seems that she fell earlier this week, cut her head and/or eye to the point it swelled shut for two days. She finally went to the doctor on Wednesday and they determined she has a concussion as well. I don't want her driving if she feels dizzy just walking around in her apartment. She wants to come in tomorrow to catch up on her work and both DH and I said no. In fact we told her that if she drives here it will be for nothing because I'm boxing up all her work and taking it home. I don't want her here. Tuesday she can come in to do extra but ONLY if she feels good. And our estimator called in sick...well, he wanted a personal day. So that means it's just me and DH in the office so we don't get to go out for our Friday lunch.

paperclippy
06-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Michele, I am looking forward to your report on the weiner dog races!

Machu Picchu is on my bucket list as well.

We had cake and ice cream at our team lunch today to send off a couple people who are switching to a different project and welcome a new person to our project. I ate too much. Oops.

Not sure yet what we're doing for Father's Day. I am going to try to let DH have some time off from the babies. I took the girls over to a paint-your-own pottery place a couple weeks ago and got their footprints on a plate, with the heels together so they look like hearts, then wrote "we <3 dad" on it. I rushed through painting on the text because I was trying to hurry to get the girls home for dinner and to make sure they didn't crawl around and break all the pottery, so it looks like a 5-year-old did it, but at least it's something! :lol:

Shannon in ATL
06-13-2014, 01:34 PM
We are going to see my dad tomorrow, grill something I figure. Then my MIL is coming to our house Sunday to see DH, where I suspect there will also be grilling involved.

We have had DSS all week this week - got him Monday morning, back to his mom next Monday. This is the first time in 9 years that we have had him an entire week at a time, even though the custody agreement says we are to have him four weeks a year. It has been an experience so far. Schedules go right out the window. LOL

Jessica - it isn't supposed to look all fancy. Looking like a five year old did it is just fine. :)

yoyoma
06-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Machu Picchu sounds awesome! Maybe some day...

Allinell, I hear you about the bananas. I have the same problem with them and a lot of other fresh produce. I've taken to buying guacamole in packs instead of eating avocados since too many have ended up in my compost pile. We keep bags of veggies and berries in the freezer, but part of my WOE is starting with a "fresh" course, so each week it's a race for me to eat up the different kinds of fresh produce before they expire.

We own a grill but haven't used it in years. We plan to eat out for Father's Day, probably Mexican, a DH fave. That shouldn't be a problem for me with my WOE (1 meal a day).

My food is back on track and the extra weight from the reunion and salt is mostly gone. Now that the weekend is here, I'd like to get back on track with walking too.

alinnell
06-14-2014, 10:15 AM
I buy two or three avocados weekly as we love them in salads, in sandwiches and on top of some of the dishes I cook. Once they're the right ripeness I keep them in the fridge to control how long they survive. Sometimes I get a slight dark spot inside but rarely have to throw one out. Also, I bought these cool things called food huggers and they work really well on saving half an avocado without it going brown at all. food huggers (http://foodhuggers.com)

I've entered a challenge myself. I aim to get exercising again. DH has kind of been on my case about it so hopefully this will make me more accountable. I'm starting off slow, just 20 minutes a day.

paperclippy
06-16-2014, 08:28 AM
We have been going through avocados fairly quickly since the babies love them. They go in the fridge as soon as they're ripe to keep them fresh. I like to buy the bags of several small ones instead of a few individual big ones.

My weight has fluctuated between 168-172 the past week. I'm just going to assume this means I'm approximately 170 still. I am armed with my gym bag at work today and brought a healthy lunch. W-F I have all-day training at work though so I guess I need to get my workouts in today and tomorrow. Not so happy that my plantar fasciitis is flaring up. Sigh.

silverbirch
06-16-2014, 08:43 AM
weight = atrocious. I've moved the scales so I'm getting on them now. (Downside is that they are in the way so I keep kicking them and the units change. This morning it was all pounds. I don't mind this as, whichever unit it's in, it's all information to help me out.)

Cardioed my way up and down some wooded paths this morning and then stood on a terrace at the top in the sunshine and did a few stretches. I'll try to do this a few times a week. And weights on the other days.

Eating my standard 'at work lunch' of tin of fish and salad and oatcakes. But without the oatcakes. This usually backfires me into wanting more at the end of the afternoon but I feel quite full so we'll see. The end of the afternoon will be busy with builders, after-school stuff and steps towards tea, and going to Italian. If the cardio floats me through this then I'll be pleased especially as I don't think I had quite enough sleep last night.

yoyoma
06-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the tips on saving avocados! I may give them another try.

Father's Day dinner out and at-home dessert has me up a bit on the scale, and I just found out I'll be eating out tonight too so I don't expect to see much progress this week. I'm not stressing, though. In the grand scheme of things, I am moving in the right direction and happy with the trade-offs.

I got in a bit more time on the treadmill this weekend, but today I plan to break out the bug spray and take the dog into the woods. The mosquitoes really put me off my last few walks. The ticks are also very numerous around here.

silverbirch
06-16-2014, 09:08 AM
yoyoma - mosquitoes and ticks are quite horrible.

ICUwishing
06-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Father's Day meant a round of golf with DH. DS and I presented him with a dozen really high-end golf balls; he promptly lost 3 on the course. :D Not his finest day. DS struggled, but I can imagine that growing about 8 inches after your last round probably throws off your swing and stance a bit. Me, I had my best opening round of all time - a 52, sprinkled with enough pars and enough great shots to make me think I want to play more this year.

I busted out the skinfold calipers and measuring tape on Sunday to record the "befores" for the 12 week challenge. It is what it is; the goal is to get better from here. I gave myself some good workout leeway in that my "contract" reads 5 workouts a week between the pool, my TRX, or HIIT. I tossed the HIIT in there because that's my quick "out" if the schedule gets packed. 18 minutes, yeah, I can do that. DH has been devoting 5-6 days per week to his 18 minute routine, and holy moly, what a change that little amount of time has made for him in just a couple months.

Shannon in ATL
06-16-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm in the same challenge as Allison - hope it will help me get back on track. :)

yoyoma
06-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Had a great walk in the woods yesterday with the pooch! I treated a broad-rimmed hat with some pyrethrin to deter the mosquitoes and sprayed some deet around my ankles to keep the ticks at bay. The weather was perfect, and I wasn't bothered at all by the bugs. I don't know if it was the weather, the repellent, or the fact that the dragon flies have come into their own, but it was like night and day from my last bug-filled foray into the woods.

Last night, DH and I ate out at a favorite place of mine (we were actually biding time while DD attended a concert). Dinner was healthy choices, but just what I wanted. More walking around, which included dessert (NOT a healthy choice :devil:).

This morning, I don't know if it was just random or due to all the walking, but I'm back down slightly under 140. :)

Sheila53
06-17-2014, 07:45 PM
I'm just curious if anyone else has this kind of issue. Because of bone health issues, I take a lot of calcium supplements. Because of protein absorption issues, I eat high protein/low carb. I don't eat much fruit, but it's usually berries. I eat a lot of Swiss chard when in season and salads. Two doctors have told me to eat more salt because my low blood pressure makes me dizzy when I stand.

Now it appears that I have calcium oxalate crystals in my urine, which, I believe, is the precursor to kidney stones. My sister just had a really bad time with kidney stones that included an infection and a stent. What's the diet to prevent kidney stones? No strawberries, no chard or spinach, reduce meat consumption, get calcium from dairy, reduce salt intake. Everything I was doing to be healthy, following doctor's orders, has now caused me to have another health issue. I feel kind of d*amned if I do and d*amned if I don't.

Kind of whining--sorry. I'm just frustrated. Said frustration will not be soothed with a quart of ice cream no matter what my brain is telling me. . .

alinnell
06-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Sheila, recently my doctor told me to discontinue calcium supplements as they raise your danger of heart attack or stroke. He said to eat more vegetables that are high in calcium and to eat more dairy. I have the opposite problem with my blood pressure--too high. He wants to monitor it for a while to see if any dietary changes make it drop by itself. I know what you mean by the d*amned if you do, d*amned if you don's. It is frustrating. I've doubled my vegetable intake (with those really high in potassium). I don't eat a lot of meat anyway, prefer to get my protein from meats. Two months in and my weight is higher and my blood pressure is the same. I really had never heard to stop eating spinach, chard and strawberries to reduce kidney stones. I have heard that you have to drink filtered water, though.

JayEll
06-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Hi, Sheila. I have had three kidney stone attacks, and I doubt it was because of too much chard and spinach or calcium supplements. The main reason was that left to my own devices, I don't drink enough water.

My kidney doc said that by definition, people who get kidney stones aren't drinking enough water. The rest of it seems to be incidental.

Spinach and chard have high levels of oxalic acid, and most people who get kidney stones have stones of calcium oxalate. Not all, though. Maybe cutting down on spinach will help, but I haven't seen anything definitive about it.

I have to remind myself to drink a glass of water for every hour I'm awake. Not a huge glass--just 8 oz. And other liquids count as well. Still, I'm lucky to get in 64 ounces. It just doesn't occur to me to drink water, and I don't particularly like it. It's a perfect setup for stones. Also, being a stone former runs in families sometimes. My brother and his daughter have both had kidney stones.

If I have to get up in the night I know I'm drinking enough. TMI, but my urine is often dark in color--another sure sign of not enough water.

So I'd say, increase your water intake as a first step.

Mudpie
06-18-2014, 05:25 AM
I also am not a voluntary water drinker but I seem to get enough of it by forcing myself to have 1/2 litre when I get up (I chug a bottle at a time), one during the day with my lunch or snack, and a last one at dinner. if there is a bottle left in the kitchen where I've lined up my daily quota I force it down before bed.

I am getting up to pee in the wee hours and that makes for never getting enough sleep. Being tired or getting kidney stones? I'll opt for :tired:

Dagmar :swim: :lol:

traveling michele
06-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Sheila-- perhaps a trip to dietician would be helpful? They might be able to help you sort through the goods and bads in your diet as it pertains to your health. That sounds very frustrating!

alinnell
06-18-2014, 11:31 AM
During the work week I have little to no problem drinking enough water as a water bottle sits on my desk all day. It has to be refilled at least 4 or 5 times during the day. That and the water I drink at home means I get much more than 64 ounces. Probably close to 100. That said, weekends are different. I'll take a bottle with me in the car when I run errands and try to make it stretch through all the errands. Often I get home and it's not empty and I'll set it down, thinking I'll finish and refill it later and never get around to it. It's only later when I start to feel listless that I realize I need water (otherwise I need a nap!).

Oh, the stress today! My office assistant has called in sick three Wednesdays in a row. Wednesday is payroll day. I rarely do the payroll. The first day I was given a heads-up about her absence and was able to do it Tuesday night before I left for home as I had an appointment scheduled Wednesday morning. The following week, I had no warning. DH texted me as I sat at the doctor's office awaiting my mammogram and told me. Yeah, instant stress on top of the mammo stress! I had to scurry into work and complete it by the deadline. Then she was out sick the rest of last week, calling in daily promising to be in Tuesday of this week to make up time and certainly would be in today. Not. I always use Wednesdays as my day to schedule appointments, today also being one of them. Thankfully I was able to get it done before I need to leave but the stress is killing me. And next Wednesday is no different as I'm having my carpets cleaned. Lord, help me!

Sheila53
06-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the sympathy and advice. I am a big water drinker so that's never been an issue. I did try to drink more yesterday afternoon and ended up getting up three times during the night--sheesh! Also had muscle cramps, which I haven't had for a while. Makes me wonder if the water is flushing out electrolytes?

Good idea about seeing a dietician, Michele. The one good thing I read is that eating dairy is helpful, and I love my Greek yogurt.

JayEll
06-18-2014, 04:20 PM
A small can of V8 juice, the regular kind, before bed and no muscle cramps for me.

How much water do you drink in a day, Sheila? You don't want to overdo it.

Shannon in ATL
06-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Shelia - I don't know about the chard and spinach, but my doctor also told me to stop the calcium supplements after my last tested urine.

saef
06-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Down just over two pounds today. My hectic week of commuting into the main office has led to a weight loss. Probably because I've been home so little. I feel like a speeding plane that rarely lands.

I get up anytime from 4:15 to 4:30 AM, I'm on the road to the CT by 6:30 AM, spend the day inside, eat only fruit or handfuls of nuts that I bring with me and salad bar lunch. Head home anywhere from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM, change, straight to gym, dinner at 8:15 PM, just an hour to myself before bed.

This streamlined life means the week sped past and eating happened but was an afterthought.

I could do this for extended periods, it would get my weight lower, but I believe after a time I'd feel depleted and crash hard.

yoyoma
06-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Saef, hope you can land that plane and enjoy the destination a little more! It's great that your hectic lifestyle is compatible with weight loss, though. I tend to skimp on exercise time when life gets busy.

I'm just not a water drinker. I drink a lot of tea (and coffee). We keep a pot of hot tea (mix of black and green) ready for the fambly and refresh throughout the day as well as a pitcher of iced tea in the fridge. I drink decaf/herbal in the afternoon (I <3 rooibos! It tastes a lot like black tea without the tannic acid). My pee passes the color test (pale), so I'm not worried about being dehydrated.

I still take calcium, but I take calcium/magnesium because I've heard the balance is important. For strong bones, I've heard it's important to stress your bones and we should all try to jump a few times throughout the day. I tried to develop that habit, but it sort of fell off my radar screen. Maybe that's a new goal for me...

My weight has been bopping around a bit, but it's at 139.4 this morning. DH and DD are away for a week, so I'm hoping to dig into the 130's for real. :)

Mudpie
06-22-2014, 06:30 AM
Summer "officially" started yesterday. The weather here concurred. My shorts are still tight. I'm having family over for dinner tonite and will have just a small piece of pie as an indulgence and then the dieting starts for real. I hate being this heavy in the hot weather.

Speaking of I better get on the scale and confirm what my big breasts and belly are telling me. I'm pretty sure I've gone over 140 lbs. :o

I know what to do to get back down under 140 and to go down to under 135 which is the final goal.

Lots of salad and lean protein dinners in my future. One serving of fruit for dessert. :D

Dagmar :goodscale:

neurodoc
06-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Thought I should check in for accountability. Back to 127 and change last time I weighed a few days ago. I haven't been eating in the evenings for months now (which is how I got back down from 133 to 126), but I'm definitely allowing a few extra nibbles and bites the last week, which also explains the uptick to 127. I just HATE how unforgiving my metabolism is: weeks of 1400 cal days to lose 2 pounds, but I can regain it in 2-3 days of 2000 calories.

So, here's to all of us losing the "fluff" this summer by whatever means we find most effective.

silverbirch
06-22-2014, 05:20 PM
Seconded.

silverbirch
06-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Seconded.

ICUwishing
06-22-2014, 07:12 PM
"Thirded". :) I wasn't successful at the 5 workouts this week, but I did get in 2 good ones (1 swim, 1 TRX) and I'm sore in all sorts of new places. DS and I did make it to the running store to get our new shoes (good Lord, he's now a 12) and next week I'll be able to start going in to work early and getting out earlier. Can't say I LIKE being sore, but it is kind of amusing. As long as I'm sitting still. :lol:

alinnell
06-22-2014, 11:31 PM
I got in 5 workouts!! Small but a step forward for sure!

I've been 6 days with high vegetable intake, too.

My weight has been yo-yoing from 160 to 163 with no real regard to the food I ate the previous day.

This coming week should be better stress-wise as my assistant should be returning...

paperclippy
06-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Today is day 1 of being 100% on the wagon. I can have my one treat meal per week and that's all -- the rest of the time will be delicious healthy foods in reasonable portions. I'm starting a 12-week program called MuTu that is supposed to help fix my diastasis recti. It bills itself as "total mama body confidence." I'm really hopeful that this will help my belly that still looks pregnant return to something more like normal. This program seems extremely reasonable to me, unlike many of the other ones, even though I did have to pay for it. The gist of it is that you do a short (8-minute) set of core exercises 1-2x every day, walk 20-30 minutes outside every day, do an intensive HIIT workout 4x/week, and eat whole foods. Mostly what you are paying for is the workouts. I like that this program is all about not overdoing anything, taking time to slowly heal your core muscles, and taking a systemic approach to strengthening rather than focusing on a single area. The instructor also makes it clear that if you miss a day or mess up somehow, you shouldn't beat yourself up about it because sometimes things just happen. I may not buy into their "sugar is evil" philosophy but I am on board with eating fresh whole foods and focusing on lots of fruits, veggies, good fats, and lean proteins. It takes a phased approach to the eating plan too -- week 1 is "start making changes," then week 2 has "make 2 changes," etc., rather than trying to do everything at once.

Anyway one of the other ladies in my local twins club is doing it with me too. I did the first core exercises this morning and they seem fine (bridges, squats, fire hydrant, that kind of stuff). There are no crunches or planks as those are more damaging to diastasis recti. The HIIT workouts don't start until a couple weeks later, so I might do some more interval running in the interim since the program also makes it clear you can continue any other cardio you like.

Mudpie
06-23-2014, 09:40 AM
139.6 lbs. I was guessing about 141 so it's a small bonus :yay: that I'm under 140 when starting the slow march back down to under 135.

By the end of August I want the scale to read 134.9 lbs.

Dagmar :goodscale:

traveling michele
06-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Sounds like a great program Jessica...you can do it!

yoyoma
06-23-2014, 10:19 AM
A belated "Fourth!" on the wishes that we all reach our health and weight goals by our own means this summer.

Dagmar, congrat on reaching your mini goal by stepping on the scale, lol! Glad you took your own red flags as a signal to weigh-in and get on track.

Jessica, that does sound like a good program and you have a healthy attitude towards it. Good luck with it!

My internet is *sooo* slow today. Unfortunately, my IT staff (DH) is away for the week, so I hope it resolves itself spontaneously. Reminds me of the days of acoustic couplers and using lynx (text-based browser) to get pages to load fast enough.

Having a slow net makes walking on the treadmill more monotonous, which is quite a shame since I have more time than usual this week (both DH and DD are away at a fencing tourney). Luckily, the weather is still beautiful, so I plan to head out into the woods again today. Having DH and DD away also makes it so much easier to keep my food intake at the low end for my WOE. There's already been a little progress on the scale (they left Friday).

alinnell
06-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Now that DS is home from college for the summer I'm faced with more challenges. I always have ice cream in the house and rarely do I indulge so it isn't much of a problem. Last night he says to me "what, besides ice cream, do we have for dessert?" Um, yeah, NOTHING. I get more enjoyment out of savory treats rather than sweet so I don't buy cakes, cookies, etc. Guess I'll have to get some and hope DH stays out of them (he won't, I know).

traveling michele
06-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Allison...I don't buy dessert. When my dd home from college wants dessert, she drives to the store and buys it for herself. She's quit asking.

alinnell
06-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Michele~but you have to understand my son. He's 6 feet tall and maybe weighs 140. Skinny as a stick. If he wakes up "late" like 9 AM he won't eat breakfast because it's too close to lunch. But that doesn't mean he eats more lunch. Sometimes lunch is just a sandwich. I really worried about him at school. I'd ask him what he'd eat and it never amounted to much. While cookies may not be the best answer I've got to give in a little. I suppose I could have offered him an apple (a favorite of his). He could even dip in peanut butter. I'll suggest that tonight.

paperclippy
06-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Happy to report that day 1 went pretty well. I tracked my calories and came in around 1800. Not where it needs to be to really lose, but progress in the right direction. I resisted the cookies and soda at my twins club meeting in the evening, did my core exercise 2x, and did my walk. I'm already sore so they must be right about the muscle weaknesses!

On to day 2. I think if I can keep it to 1800 calories again today that will be pretty good. Eventually I will have to drop down to 1400 but my stomach needs time to adjust to less food.

JayZeeJay
06-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Hi all, just checking in. I've been keeping up with reading this thread:

Alinnell: That is my situation all of the time, my fiance is 6' and 145 lbs at most. Left to his own devices, he prefers to eat small amounts of ultra calorie-dense food. If I cook meals that are more my style (large because they're mostly vegetables) he will gladly eat them, but we have to keep the kitchen stocked with "his" foods because they sustain him.

Paperclippy: Good luck with your new program. My best friend had a baby 18 months ago, and her doctor recently told her that she has the worst case of diastasis recti that she's ever seen. She is researching exercises and even surgical options, since it is so severe. She had just assumed it was completely normal after childbirth, and hadn't asked a doctor about it.

Our wedding is this Saturday. I've been trying so hard to stay OP. According to my Livestrong tracker, I've created a calorie deficit over the last four weeks that should have created a 4.8 lb weight loss. Instead I am exactly the same weight as when I started. And I've tracked every bite I put in my mouth, and (I think) under-estimated calories burned during exercise. Oh well. Back to our prior conversation about the effects of chronic stress on weight loss and weight distribution: I suspect that once this anxiety ends and I can relax again, my body will return to more predictable weight-loss patterns. Of course, that will be AFTER the wedding. Ah, the irony of life.

traveling michele
06-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Jayzeejay.... Good luck with everything! Can't wait to hear how it goes! I'm sure you'll be glad when the anxiety is done! Are you honeymooning?

Allison...forgot how skinny your ds is. That's never an issue at my house. Maybe buy some stuff for him that won't tempt you or you don't like.

Zoo was fun but we got caught in an awful thunderstorm! We were beyond soaked and just ready to go home. We took a nice walk before we went and took dd's service dog with us, so at least I got my steps in. Most of the animals ignored the dog but a couple of the monkeys were pretty interested in him.

neurodoc
06-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Allison, your son is presumably over 18 and independent. It is no longer your job to ensure that he eats enough (or that his diet is nutritionally sound). It IS your job to ensure that YOU stay healthy and at your goal weight. I'd say that if he wants cookies, he should go buy himself some, and keep them away from you out of respect for your needs. And, for the record, not even skinny people "need" sweets. Apple with peanut butter is a great option.

Oh JayZee, my heart goes out to you, both about wedding stress and about the frustration of being OP and not losing. It's the WORST feeling. But, you will look gorgeously radiant in your wedding dress anyway, and the relief afterward of no longer having to plan and organize will be a bonus gift on top of the many lovely things you will receive. If I don't post again before your big day CONGRATULATIONS.

Mudpie
06-25-2014, 06:26 AM
JayZee You will be a beautiful bride on Saturday, just as you are a beautiful person the rest of the time. I hope you can find moments on the day to enjoy yourself.

Dagmar :yay:

silverbirch
06-25-2014, 08:49 AM
JayZeeJay - good luck for Saturday and beyond!

I am at work, deep in a rather complex bit of work. I've had my lunch (mountain of salad, tin of fish, 3 oatcakes). I have just moved the two oatcakes remaining in the packet from my desk to the other side of the room. I'd like to have something else to complete the meal but there's nothing much here. I could have a cup of cocoa, I suppose. That would probably do it, especially if I borrow some milk from a neighbouring office's bottle.

alinnell
06-25-2014, 09:56 AM
JayZee~you'll be a beautiful bride! Have a wonderful day.

Andrea~you're right, he is an adult and I shouldn't worry, but he is also my son so I'll always worry a bit. I told him about the apple with peanut butter and he said that sounded good, but he had ice cream last night.

Tonight will be a small challenge. DH and I are going to an open house where there will be wine, champagne and hors d'oeuvres. We're not going to stay long so hopefully it won't be bad for me.

I've been kind of hovering at a rather high weight for the past few weeks. I've quit eating frozen diet entrees for lunch and instead am eating leftovers from dinner and lots of salads. I've increased my veggie intake and lowered other stuff like breads and pastas. I thought this would help my weight but it has not. BUT my blood pressure seems to be going down. I've been monitoring it for about a month and I'm seeing progress. It's still high but not nearly as high as it was.

Sorry about the rain, Michele!

silverbirch
06-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Good news about the blood pressure, Allison!

CalCounter1003
06-25-2014, 01:53 PM
JayZee, best wishes for your wedding day and every day!

paperclippy
06-25-2014, 02:50 PM
JZJ, congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Allison, great job on the BP.

Day 2 went well I think. I came in a little under 1800 calories, did my core workout, and did my walk. Today so far I did my core workout and walk, and am on track calorie-wise. I am reminding myself to embrace feeling hungry. That is to say, not that I'm starving myself or being hungry ALL the time, but accepting the fact that it is okay for me to feel hungry when a mealtime is approaching. Between eating all the time while pregnant and while breastfeeding, it's hard to lose the mentality of "if I'm hungry then I should eat so I can keep my babies healthy." So if it's 40 minutes until lunchtime and I am starting to get pretty hungry, that's okay.

neurodoc
06-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Wow. This. http://thenewinquiry.com/blogs/the-beheld/youre-right-i-didnt-eat-that/

JayEll
06-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Yup. And I'm not going there anymore.

CalCounter1003
06-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Wow. This. http://thenewinquiry.com/blogs/the-beheld/youre-right-i-didnt-eat-that/

Wow is right.

I am definitely a little obsessive with only 4 months of maintaining. Not quite that bad, but I'm just maintaining a size 8 (which I am thrilled about).

Thankful to be married to a man for 28 years who has seen me through all the ups and down in my weight and learned about 30 years ago not to mention it. :D

I'm sad that such a large percentage of the population is overweight. But I'm also sad that the food industry and modern life has made it so hard to lose and maintain. I know we are ultimately responsible for putting food in our mouths and not exercising, but most food is so full of sugar and addictive that it is just plain hard. :(

One day at a time.

Mudpie
06-26-2014, 05:21 AM
Yup. And I'm not going there anymore.

Me either.

Dagmar :strong: but not skinny

JayZeeJay
06-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Thank all for the kind wishes! We're leaving today to head to Tahoe, I will be back in a week.

That article made me sad.

alinnell
06-26-2014, 11:56 AM
That article made me think she's got anorexia. I could never be that obsessed. Besides, I like food too much and the promise of going out to eat will always outweigh going to the gym in my book.

Shannon in ATL
06-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Good luck to you, JZJ! You will be lovely. :)

neurodoc
06-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Allison, I don't think she does, because she is not unhealthy (doesn't have low energy, suppressed thyroid function, hair loss etc). And JayEll and Dagmar, if you are a maintainer, then, in a way, you DO go there. Your reason for doing so may not be for vanity, but you are deliberately choosing to eat less than you would like, making calculated decisions about when/what you can eat and making accommodations for it at other times of day, and pushing yourself to exercise even if you don't feel like it. After some thought, this is what I posted in response to her post yesterday:

"Wow, what an amazing post. I have taken the liberty of posting the URL to a weight-loss-maintainer's forum I belong to. On that forum, I and many others have repeatedly discussed the question of where to draw the line between the necessary vigilance required to prevent weight regain and having an eating disorder. Our consensus is that, to be a successful weight loss maintainer you must develop habits that, based on textbook criteria, will be labelled disordered eating. Except - and this is crucial- without the "disordered" eating (and exercise vigilance) WE WOULD BE UNSUCCESSFUL WEIGHT MAINTAINERS. The way I see it, the only difference between you and me (or anyone of my "3 Fat Chicks" maintainers friends) is that your successful weight maintenance happened at a young-enough age, and to a low-enough weight, that you ended up "super hot" while our similarly obsessive efforts only get us (speaking for myself here) to "adequate" levels of attractiveness. So, to add an additional painful wrinkle to your already less-than-satisfying dilemma of having to expend a lot of effort without seeming to expend it in order to look great, we 40, 50 and 60-somethings (I'm 48) have to expend all that effort, also without admitting to doing it, and end up looking only average. Ouch. And, oh yeah, if we ease off the quasi-obsessive efforts to stay thin(ner), we end up, not average like you started out, but overweight again, with all the issues of high blood pressure, high cholesterol and other negative health effects that the medical establishment informs us DAILY is what’s killing us as a society. What’s worse, an eating disorder, or dying young of heart disease and diabetes?"

saef
06-27-2014, 05:47 AM
JayZeeJay, breathe, and remind yourself that behind everything that is overwhelming logistically on that day is actually quite a simple intention: Two people who love each other, proclaiming that in a formal way in front of friends and family, and throwing a party to celebrate. That may calm the churn and what ascends at times to fear that you're not going to be able to pull it off, or that it won't be done right, or at least, not the way you'd hoped it would be. Again, breathe. The people want to see that you're happy, and that there is love there -- they want that more than aesthetic splendor.

saef
06-27-2014, 05:53 AM

Well, yes, of course, she has an eating disorder, even though the language looks ambivalent, and she admits and then denies. She's still rationalizing it: It's the pressure of dating, the desire to be loved and admired. It's not the men setting this requirement, though she feels that's how it goes. It's her. She's not quite gotten to the place where she sees that. Now she'll go through the phase where you know objectively that there's something wrong but you still can't or won't stop what you're doing. That can be a years-long phase, unfortunately. I wish I could give her a hug. I'd say: "Welcome to my world -- I wish you hadn't come, though, for your own sake."

And me, I'm looking at a scale that edged up two pounds over a week of reverting to dried apple chips, and so many things to do, I've already declared the coming month of July a complete washout, and will be surprised if I don't work through every weekend.

Mudpie
06-27-2014, 06:24 AM
Andrea I think it's a matter of the degree of control we have to exert to maintain our weights. For me the lower the weight the harder it is to maintain.

I am quite satisfied now with my weight being 135 and don't have to do much to maintain it. But getting comfortable with being 10 lbs. over what was originally my goal weight was the biggest obstacle. IMO there is a tendency for a lot of women to think they "should" be thinner than they need to be.

I think most people who maintain a "normal" weight range are a bit careful with what they eat. They occasionally splurge and occasionally cut back. IMO that's just living, not disordered eating. Just sayin' :D

silverbirch
06-27-2014, 07:02 AM
I agree with Dagmar. 'a bit careful with what they eat' - yes, that sums it up to me.

JayEll
06-27-2014, 07:28 AM
. . . we end up, not average like you started out, but overweight again, with all the issues of high blood pressure, high cholesterol and other negative health effects that the medical establishment informs us DAILY is what’s killing us as a society. What’s worse, an eating disorder, or dying young of heart disease and diabetes?"
What's worse is either/or thinking like this with two extremes as the only choices.

Someone who is overweight does not automatically develop high blood pressure and high cholesterol, nor do they always succumb to heart disease and/or diabetes. Correlation is not causation. Normal weight people can and do develop disease.

Yes, my weight has been stable for months now. Would you call me a maintainer? When I tell you it's stable in the obese BMI range, will you still call me a maintainer? Probably not, because the definition is "lost weight and kept it off." That means that whatever the lowest weight was that I last achieved, that's the measure of success. it's crazy. it's arbitrary.

80% of people who lose weight through dieting regain weight eventually. That means weight regain is normal, by definition. We can't conclude that all those people just didn't know how to do it right.

The world is full of people of all shapes and sizes. The current concept of a "normal weight" person is a definition based on some ideal. Better to go out and actually measure a population if you want to know what "normal weight" really is.

So, no, I'm not going there, meaning to that level of constant vigilance and planning for the sake of a scale reading. All it does is make me stressed and unhappy. It's also backwards thinking. What I'm looking for is a healthy way of living that does not mean feeling deprived or vigilant. The question isn't "How much do I weigh?" but "How do I want to live?"

paperclippy
06-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Andrea, I have to disagree with you. I would rather die early than spend my life in misery, never able to enjoy myself because I decided it was that important to be thin. Am I the minority? Maybe.

I don't feel that my eating habits are disordered. It's true that I accept that I am going to maintain in the higher end of the normal weight range rather than the lower end, but that is the trade-off I have made to keep my sanity. Sure, I could diet my way down to 115lbs and take extreme measures to keep my weight there, but if I can be 135lbs and healthy and not have to micromanage every single bite I take, I will gladly accept the additional 20lbs. 135lbs for my height is still a healthy weight.

That said, sure, I weigh a lot more than that at the moment and I'm trying lose it, but while sometimes I think "I would look great if I weighed 115lbs" I am never going to make that a goal because it's just plain not worth it to me. My goal is 130/135 because my goal is something I can live with and enjoy my life. I need to be able to have weekly indulgences. I need to be able to skip a workout every so often without feeling bad about it.

This is clearly a very personal decision and your own personal biology plays a factor as well. If being a size smaller is more important to you than eating dessert once a week, that's your decision to make and I wouldn't fault you for it. For myself, I will take the ice cream and be a size bigger. As long as it's not ice cream every day and increasingly larger and larger sizes, I'm satisfied.

Mudpie
06-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Jessica I'm so glad to see that another woman who is my height and weight is satisfied. I have always felt kinda "fat" when looking at most people's "after" stats here.

Dagmar :yay: (it's Friday and the start of a 4-day weekend for me)

tommy
06-27-2014, 12:42 PM
First post here and just a quicky. I consider myself a now several year maintainer although, yes, I could lose a few....but I am NOT gaining.

I wanted to share a quote I saw on FB. The scene is a young girl and her mom.

Question: "Mom? What is... Normal?"
Answer: "It's just a setting on the dryer, honey"

Shannon in ATL
06-27-2014, 03:25 PM
tommy - I love that.

JayZeeJay
06-27-2014, 04:15 PM
JayZeeJay, breathe, and remind yourself that behind everything that is overwhelming logistically on that day is actually quite a simple intention: Two people who love each other, proclaiming that in a formal way in front of friends and family, and throwing a party to celebrate. That may calm the churn and what ascends at times to fear that you're not going to be able to pull it off, or that it won't be done right, or at least, not the way you'd hoped it would be. Again, breathe. The people want to see that you're happy, and that there is love there -- they want that more than aesthetic splendor.

Thanks so much Saef! I happened to check in on my way up to our rehearsal and saw your message. It's exactly what I need to remember.

yoyoma
06-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Congrats, JayZeeJay, wishing you much happiness!

My weight hasn't really moved since DD and DH went away, but my diet and exercise have been on track.

I'm sure some folks would consider my current WOE disordered (one meal a day), but I find it simple to follow, works for me mentally (I get to have a *satisfying* meal), and it allows me to eat social dinners without angst (which has been a big issue for me in the past).

I could not really make it appear effortless, but I know that is an important mystique in some circles.

ICUwishing
06-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Have fun tomorrow, JZJ!!!

saef
06-28-2014, 06:01 AM
I cannot get that article out of my head. I know how far away from being well and healthy I **really** am when I find myself recognizing another woman's emotional pain and yet part of me is actually envying her for successfully maintaining a low weight through profoundly disordered behavior.

That's because my disordered behavior, which of late has been relaxing, has been unsuccessful, has resulted in regain. Yes, regain. The "r" word. I'm not going to kid myself. I was 142 for a long time. The scale read 154 on Friday. Now granted I've been doing some serious weight-training. My butt and belly have never looked better. But that is NOT all muscle.

And I am feeling badly about my self-image which reflects my feelings about my competency in life in general, as I am overwhelmed with work, with four big writing assignments that came in, all at once, over the past two days, and the prospect of working through the July 4th weekend just to stay even with the pace.

This stress will either result in my bingeing, or obsessing on food (already it started, it's those damned apple chips, currently available readily from the gourmet food section in TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Home Goods) or restricting severely. I've told you, food is not the point, it's just a form of expression, a venue through which I express what is really going on with me.

CalCounter1003
06-29-2014, 01:31 AM
Saef, yes that article bothered me too because I don't want to be that obsessive, but want to maintain. Sorry that you are so busy and stressed at work. Ridiculous that in the summer they pile on extra work. Not that I'm saying everyone should lounge around all summer, but usually things slow down some.
I'm sure with all the exercise you are doing you look great, but I completely understand the number on the scale controls your day and confidence. You should be proud of how fit you are, I can only hope to reach half of what you are doing one day!

traveling michele
06-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Hope JZJ's day was perfect! Can't wait to hear about it

Mudpie
06-30-2014, 08:28 AM
:goodscale: today. Down 3 lbs. since last Monday and 1.8 lbs. away from 135 - my first goal in the "summer project". No energy drinks for 3 days and limiting myself to 2 caffeinated drinks (iced coffee, iced tea) per day. I feel much more energetic :dizzy: probably because I'm not waking up with caffeine cravings at 2 a.m.

Dagmar :beach:

saef
06-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Thinking of JayZeeJay this morning, and the relief at having completed a big project, like a wedding, the buoyancy afterward, the rebound in one's outlook on life and energy levels -- and then, after a while, maybe how anticlimactic it feels, too.

traveling michele
06-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Great scale news Dagmar!

paperclippy
06-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Well, one week down of my 12-week program, 11 to go! I lost 2lbs this week so that's good, although I had just gained them the week before so they were probably transient anyway. I am getting back in the swing of eating less food more comfortably.

However, I'm remembering why I can't stand counting calories for too long. Entering in straight foods (e.g. fruit, eggs) is fine, but entering recipes is a giant disaster and I refuse to eat the same foods day in and day out, so recipes are a must for me. I'm now remembering that last time I lost a regain I ended up doing something like 3 weeks track & lose followed by 1-2 weeks no track and maintain. We'll see how it goes this time.

In any case, I've been keeping to more or less under 1800 cals and actually made it down around 1500 one day. Limited myself to one cheat meal at our family picnic during which I ended up not actually eating a huge number of calories, because while I did eat cupcakes, I didn't eat much else since the babies were too much of a handful.

I've been doing the daily outdoor walk required for the program even though I've had to go out in the rain a few times. We are getting use out of the rain cover for the stroller though! Week two of the same set of daily core exercises today. I can feel my muscles working. No intensives for another week but this week they started with the alignment stuff -- basically instructions on how to work on improving your posture. Proper posture and a strong core go hand in hand and I've heard that before from many different places so I'm inclined to believe it.

ICUwishing
06-30-2014, 12:16 PM
:cheer: Dagmar!

:cheer: Jessica!

Not sure what I think about the article; still noodling on it. I guess as someone who realized very early in life that "skinny" was never going to be an adjective applied to me (perhaps "fit" and maybe "lean" could be achievable), I don't get the mindset and don't really want to. If the price of a few more sizes down is to lose vitality (by the dictionary definition of vitality, which I just learned two days ago), I'm not willing to make the tradeoff.

And that being said, I jumped on board the 5:2 plan as of Saturday to see if I can take advantage of some of my natural appetite tendencies instead of all the logging and calculating. I haven't had much luck budging the muffin top, and I guess I'm saving calorie-counting for a last resort. This means that today and Thursday, my only meal will be dinner. So far it hasn't been too bad - the next 6 hours will tell the tale!

krampus
06-30-2014, 01:46 PM
5:2 is when you eat 500 calories two days a week and eat maintenance or more the other five, right? Good luck!

Over the weekend I grossly overate on Friday and Saturday, and blew up to 123 Sunday AM. Was 119.8 this morning and feel normal again.

I had so many feelings and emotions about that scale blip - almost like I literally wanted to crawl out of my skin. Much can be chalked up to TOM-related anxiety/too many feelings, and a 2 hour trip to the gym calmed me down for a few hours.

The article about the thin woman was a little sad, because I saw a picture of her and she seemed to be about my age, a cool person to hang out with, and blogs on Catster which is a big plus :) That level of restriction just seems like it would suck all the spontaneity out of life and create anxiety where none is needed.

ICUwishing
06-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Krampus, yep, that's the one. I've got a good grip on what level of eating keeps the scale stable; I'm way too good at that. :D I just don't want it to be stable at *this* spot any longer.

Glad you were able to pull out the hormone-induced tailspin. Been there; they suck even when you know that's what's going on.

yoyoma
06-30-2014, 03:05 PM
ICU, good luck with 5:2. I hope it works well for you!

I notice a lot of ppl avoiding CC now and I wonder if I'm just noticing it more (because I am avoiding it) or if it's a real trend (possibly bc of the uptick in IF). I know that when I chose my current approach of non-CC, I felt like I just could not do CC this time round, with the extra stress of DD's junior year and my project at work. I wasn't sure if I could manage to restrict myself to a short eating window or that I would succeed at losing weight with one, but I felt I had to try something different.

Anyhoo, I'm taking ownership of 139 on my ticker today (I've weighed in below there for 3 days straight; that's my rule). :) I want to lose a few more to have some slack for vacation, so for now I'm just keeping everything the same.

alinnell
06-30-2014, 04:35 PM
My DD is doing something akin to 5:2 and loves it. She's trying to talk me into it. I could (as I have done it before) but it'd be hard to skip lunch with DH (we eat together in the office M-T and go out Friday). Weekend would be even more difficult with DS and DH with me.

ICUwishing
07-01-2014, 07:41 AM
Gotta say, the first single-meal day was easy. I'm rarely hungry for breakfast anyway. I'll admit I had some trouble maintaining my focus while my coworkers were microwaving lunches and creating waves of food smells, but once I made it to about 1pm, it was fine from there. No symptoms of blood sugar gone haywire or anything else. I expected to be starving at dinner and that turned out not to be the case. If anything, I was hungry enough that I was more aware of the point where I wasn't hungry any more as I was eating (good new thing). This morning, yes, hungry when I woke up, but not unreasonably so. I'm opening this experiment at 155.0 and will give it a few weeks to see what happens. I'll go with dinner only on Monday and Thursday.

paperclippy
07-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Yoyo, I feel like calorie counting is what you make of it. You can certainly count calories while doing 5:2 or an eating window or South Beach or whatever other plan. "Calorie counting" doesn't have to mean "eat fewer than X calories every day." I think there has been a push over the years toward methods that have less burdensome tracking required though -- that's why Weight Watchers uses "points." A WW "point" is really just a unit of measure of calories.

I'm finding tracking my calories much easier with MyFitnessPal mobile app than tracking used to be, because I always have my phone with me so I can enter things as I'm eating them, and it can scan barcodes and pull up the nutrition info which saves a LOT of time in data entry. Also, it can attempt to import a recipe from a website, which saves some time although it doesn't always work that well.

In any case, my calorie counting method has always been "eat X or less 6 days per week, and 1 day a week have two standard meals and one meal of whatever the heck I want and don't worry about the calories." Over time I have had to adjust the value of X based on my changing metabolism but it's generally worked for me. The on/off lose/maintain cycle has also been effective for me to kind of give my body and mind a break from losing every so often with a week or two of maintaining.

Anyway, I'm just rambling at this point. ;) The idea of only one meal a couple days a week is interesting to me, but this morning I felt like I was going to pass out in the shower because I was so hungry for breakfast, so I don't think I could make it work. :lol:

Mudpie
07-01-2014, 09:37 AM
I too have to spread my calories out over the day because I am not sitting at all except for 5-10 minute intervals in the car. if I don't eat 2 meals and a snack during the day I'm so hungry by afternoon and dinner that I overeat then and sometimes keep on going until bedtime. :hungry:

I don't really count calories any more (logging/counting made me :crazy: after a couple of months) but I tend to eat the same things and know how much of what I can eat every day and maintain. When I try something new I look up the cals in the book I have in my kitchen.

We are all different. We all have to find what works for us. :D

Dagmar :beach:

paperclippy
07-01-2014, 09:58 AM
So my mom is going to be in town this coming week, which means that we'll have a built-in babysitter so DH and I can go out to dinner this weekend. We've only gone out for a date night maybe three times in the past year. Now I need to figure out what I want to eat the most. Since it will be my cheat meal for the week it had better be good! :lol:

neurodoc
07-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Yep, I'm with Dagmar on this; I can easily eat 2000+ calories between dinner and bedtime, and if I fast all day I feel as though I've "earned it" because I'm so ravenous by then. Of course, 2000 cals is 500 more than I need so I invariably end up gaining weight on the one-meal-a-day system, even if it's only 5 days of the week.

I'm on vacation this week in Michigan's Upper Penninsula. Writing this in Newbery's only cafe, which fortunately has wi-fi. This has not been my favorite vacation; full of biting mosquitoes and whining children (or vice-versa). Food was tolerable until today when we hit the most rural outposts. Now nothing but supermarket (my choice) or burger/pasty/fried fish shops until we head back over the Mackinaw Bridge in 2 more days. I DID try a pasty today- 600 calories (?more?) of shortening-laden crust filled with a mountain of potato and a few stray pieces of carrot and chicken, very little seasoning. UGH.

ICUwishing
07-01-2014, 03:49 PM
I am sure that if I didn't have a pure desk job, there'd be issues. Given what I'm reading about fasting and longer telomeres and other general health advantages, I am willing to give it a shot. It certainly will not hurt me, and it has not made me miserable. Worth a try.

Andrea, if there was chicken in it, it ain't a pasty. And that should have been lard and not shortening. :D Says somebody who spent a "whole" 4 years in the UP. I will agree with you, they are not a preferred food unless you are slaving in the mines 12 hours a day! We've made them at home with some of our own tweaks - mostly to add some kicked-up flavor and to get the grease out of the crust. As "hand pies" go, there are lots of options for, dare I say it, healthy options with great flavor.

yoyoma
07-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Hey, Andrea, I'll be in the UP in August. I also choose the non-traditional chicken pasty over beef-- I just like it better. I don't love pasties in general either, but I have to make a lot of food choice concessions when we are visiting relatives.

CC might be easier for me if I joined the 21st century and carried a cell phone with me (I keep my palm pixie charging in the car mostly for emergencies and try to remember to take it with me on my walks in the woods in case I get lost). But even without the drudgery of doing the tally, I found it mentally enervating to constantly make caloric trade-off decisions about what to eat throughout the day. I've tried pre-planning and that didn't work well for me either, as I often wouldn't feel like eating what I've planned. Anyway, I'm not trying to proselytize. People who have good results with CC should definitely stick with it!

ICU, I agree that key to eating just in the evening is having a lifestyle that doesn't put any major drains on blood sugar. Walking is fine and some days I walk literally for hours. But if I tried running or lifting (which I know from experience that I detest even when I used to eat throughout the day), it would probably lead to a low blood sugar episode.

DH and DD are home and my weight is back up a smidge (cooking for real again), but still below 139, so I'm happy. :)

alinnell
07-02-2014, 12:19 PM
All this talk about pasties is making me hungry! But help me, is a pastie the same as a meat pie or empanada or even calzone? Just the country of origin and perhaps an ingredient or two being different?

ICUwishing
07-02-2014, 12:40 PM
:lol: Allison! The Finns in the UP would tell you that a true pasty is beef, rutabaga, potato, onion and carrot in a lard-based pastry crust. They were called "hand pies" and were lunchbox food for the copper miners. People get in fistfights up there over whether they are supposed to be eaten with gravy or ketchup. ;) The problem with bread-based crusts like the calzone is that they would soak through in time and get soggy. Pasties, with the lard, can be just fine sitting in a lunch box for hours.

paperclippy
07-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Funny, the only time I ever heard the term "pasty" before was in reference to Cornish pasties, which I have only ever had in England, which wikipedia says are traditionally filled with beef, turnip, potato, and onion. I still remember the best one though when I was 13 and took a trip to England and went to Wales with my cousins, and had a mutton pasty. Strange how you remember some things about trips you took when you were a kid -- that mutton pasty really stands out in my memory! :lol:

Now I'm getting hungry though. Cooking Light has some recipes for hand pies of some variety or other that I have made on occasion. I remember making these two recipes before and both were decent: Spinach-Kale Turnovers (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spinach-kale-turnovers-10000001571423/) Tex-Mex Calzones (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tex-mex-calzones-10000001880021/)

ICUwishing
07-03-2014, 09:58 AM
I heard a lot of controversy over turnip vs rutabaga too. :)

Hand pies can be an awesome grab-n-go lunch. Not so nice if they fall apart!

We've done some fun stuff with finely cubed sirloin, spinach and mushrooms. The hard part is getting away from a carb/fat bomb of a crust - there are real perils to going thinner or messing with ingredients.

I'm hungry too and since it's a dinner-only day I really should try not to get more involved here. :drool:

saef
07-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Late this week, I felt ravenous, and though I tried to just sit with it, or eat just a little protein and stuff like apples, pears and plums to satiate myself, it was hard to keep the beast fed.

No surprise to see my weight creep up another .3 pounds on the scale.

But it was a surprise last night to hear the spin instructor -- with whom I was waiting out a downpour after class -- tell me that she and her young husband, who both frequent the gym, think I am getting thinner and thinner.

I thanked her, but I know what the scale is reading.

And I'd just been doing that sad, sick comparison thing in the exercise studio with its mirrored walls and those slender, yoga-limber women alongside me, and was feeling badly.

What are those people seeing? What? Because I am, if anything, slightly up. It's got to be all this weight-training with the NROLW program. I am developing a completely different body type from those women. Still, by my own reckoning, I ought to cut and drop about 10 pounds at least.

Also today is difficult for me. It's the 4th, I ought to feel free, to be thankful for my freedom, right? But I've got a lot of office work to do this weekend, since training the new hire took great big chunks out of my time for my own writing assignments, and I got behind. And I should be lifting weights on my training schedule, but can't because the gym opens far too late this morning, and I'm going to meet a friend downtown today at the Met, which is open on the holiday. I absolutely need to see this friend, or I'll have no life at all. But of course I am never good at flexibility or deviating from my schedule.

This feels like a Saturday. I'll have to remind myself all day long that it's a Friday. I was up at 4:15 AM like for a work day this morning.

traveling michele
07-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Happy 4th everyone! I understand where you're coming from, Saef. It is often the day that I'm feeling fluffy and disgusted that someone will complement me. They obviously don't see what my warped eyes see.

I ate too much yesterday and was mad at myself as I had been up five pounds from Napa. I should have buckled down and worked harder. I am down about a pound anyway so I'm thankful for that, but it could have been more.

I plan on being good today and not using the holiday as another excuse to eat. I'm going on a chocolate tasting tour with dd tomorrow in San Francisco and we will likely eat lunch after so tomorrow will be another high calorie day.

There are only two bikram classes offered today so I'm heading to the earlier one hoping it will be less crowded.

Mudpie
07-04-2014, 05:28 PM
It occured to me that I can now, in the new house setup, watch a DVD while working out. Anyone have any yoga DVD's they would recommend? Not sure where best to post so you'll see this in a couple of places.

Thanks!

yoyoma
07-04-2014, 11:26 PM
We usually get together with my brother's family for a cookout (w/KFC on the side) on the 4th, but we both bailed due to weather in NE. DD had a hankering for fried chicken, so DH ended up running some errands and picked up some store-prepared fried chicken. I indulged in one piece as part of my otherwise normal dinner, and I have to admit it hit the spot! We rented 1776 (movie musical) online, so we did have a little bit of a 4th of July celebration after all!

My weight was good today, fluctuating to the low end of my current range. Due to the rain and some desk work, I didn't move much today. Right now, it's 11:30 PM and I'm on the treadmill, trying to reach my goal steps before midnight, lol!

JayZeeJay
07-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Hi all!
We got home yesterday, very relieved to have avoided the absolute nightmare that is July 4th at Lake Tahoe.

The wedding went well overall. Several things went wrong, of course. One of them was an extremely annoying dress malfunction on my end. We also had a very funny mistake during the ceremony. My best friend's husband (Matt) was the officiant. He had never done it before, and neither of us had been married before. So we forgot a few key things in the ceremony that we team-wrote (cobbled together from bits off the internet)...

I got up the aisle with my dad, and he said his bit and sat down. My fiance and I faced Matt, and he started the ceremony opening spiel. About ten sentences into it, he looked up from his notes and said "Oh! You can sit down now!" Everyone was still standing from when I walked in, and we forgot to tell them to sit! The whole audience cracked up. It was great.

Also, my best friend and their 20-month old daughter (the "flower girl") went up the aisle together, and the little girl waved at everyone saying "bye bye" and everyone waved and said "bye bye" back. I was laughing the whole way up the aisle.

The "honeymoon" was brief, only 4 nights, but we hiked and mountain biked and swam and it was wonderful.

Mudpie
07-06-2014, 06:05 AM
JayZeeJay How lovely your wedding day must have been from your description. I'm so glad you noticed the happy moments. Congratulations to you again! :D

Dagmar

yoyoma
07-06-2014, 08:13 AM
JayZeeJay, that sounds like the best type of wedding... it all worked out well with a few little flubs and some laughs to make for better memories! Congratulations again!

I was up over one and a half pounds yesterday. I blamed the salty piece of fried chicken and scale randomness. Today I dropped all that and a smidge more to a new local low (137.0) which is great, but I'd still like a bit more buffer for the upcoming vacation.

alinnell
07-06-2014, 11:16 AM
You have to have something malfunction in order to look back and laugh! Ours was my husband's cousin's pager (remember those?) going off mid-ceremony. She was beyond embarrassed! Glad everything worked out!

Since being told I have high blood pressure, my goals have changed from trying to lose weight to trying to lower the BP. Well, things are better for the most part. Still a little high on the diastolic (hovers around 90 instead of 80) but for the past two weeks I've been pretty consistent at 124/90, so I'm happy as that is much better than 158/100! But the drawback is that I've gained back that which I lost back in January or February. Guess I'll be sporting Spanx at the wedding in a couple of weeks.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know losing weight will also help the BP, so I"ll be working on that next. I'm just happy to report that I've reincorporated exercise to my routine. Since stopping eating the processed frozen low-cal lunches to cut sodium, I think my calories are high--especially at lunch. I've remedied that by having more salads for lunch. And I'm keeping an eye on my evening portions. Eventually I'll get it all ironed out for weight loss.

Mudpie
07-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Allison You sound like you have a solid proactive plan. :bravo:

Dagmar :D

silverbirch
07-07-2014, 07:20 AM
Eventually I'll get it all ironed out for weight loss.

Definitely.

Me too, I hope.

I'm hungry but trying to avoid an early lunch. I've just had a banana which was part of it. Not perfect but better than many alternatives. #potassium #otherexcellentthings

ICUwishing
07-07-2014, 08:19 AM
:wave: Lurking.

Mudpie
07-08-2014, 05:21 AM
:wave: Lurking.

Me too. :wave:

Dagmar :(

ICUwishing
07-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Dagmar, I don't know if you got any recommendations about the yoga DVDs. I was given a few that feature Rodney Yee and none of them are for beginners, not even the beginner ones. Perhaps if you KNEW yoga, and had watched the videos intently at least four times so that you didn't have to watch every move and try to work out at the same time, they'd be okay ... but good GRIEF. Way beyond my capabilities. I'm not giving up yet; I have a new set of 3 from Gaiam that focus on neck/back/shoulder and will give them a lookover in the next couple of days.

My swim team's coach is moving to KY!! :( This will be a huge hole - she was truly one of a kind and could push me into doing stuff I never imagined agreeing to do/try. Siggggghhh. Pouting/sad/angry/disappointed; mostly at myself for not committing fully to training again. Comes at a bad time (pre-TOM) and all I am able to see right now is the list of opportunities I've wasted. I'm going back into my cave to sulk and maybe indulge in a pity party. When I come back out, I'll have my head on straight. :dizzy:

traveling michele
07-08-2014, 09:42 AM
That sucks Becky! Hope your pity party doesn't last long!

Mudpie
07-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Thanks Becky. I am familiar with Rodney Yee and can keep up with him. I had a daytime/nighttime DVD which featured him in a pretty gentle workout but I've lost it. I think I will look around on line and see if someone does short workouts. I need about a 20 minute one. Time to use the Google (Continuum fans anyone?)

Sorry to hear about your coach. Hope your team finds a new one that can somewhat fill those big shoes she leaves behind. :cheer2:

alinnell
07-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Dagmar~on YouTube, search for Do You Yoga. They have a 30 day challenge and each day is 20 minutes max (some are around 18 minutes).

Sorry about the coach, Becky. That sucks.

paperclippy
07-08-2014, 03:31 PM
I am on week 3 of my 12-week program and just did my first "intensive" workout. :exercise: Exhausting! I predict very sore muscles, which is unfortunate because I am supposed to do this workout three more times this week. :lol: Lots of squats and lunges in various conformations.

The good news is that my diastasis recti has gone from 3 finger widths wide to 1.5 finger widths already, and I've lost 4 pounds over the last two weeks. Long way to go still but it's something.

krampus
07-09-2014, 10:15 AM
116.0 this morning. Haven't seen that number in a month or more. It was my low WI after hiking.

I've been "holding back" for two days, not eating peanut butter out of the jar or having big desserts or anything very salty. pixellate is coming to visit today. Looking forward to showing her all the exciting sights of Troy, ha.

yoyoma
07-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Glad you got some positive feedback on the scale, Krampus!

Jessica, you're making great progress!

After bouncing back and forth, my weight seems to have settled at the high end of the range for now. I'm 138.8 this morning. Still at goal, but I am hoping to get a bit of a buffer.

neurodoc
07-09-2014, 09:44 PM
I second the YouTube approach to exercise videos. You can find ANYTHING with a simple search (want to learn pole dancing? yogilates? body weight HIIT? you name it it's there), no need to pay for DVDs anymore unless you want something very specific, like Jillian Michaels or the Insanity series.

Krampus, I'm glad that your weight, at least, is back under control. Are your stressors better too?

ReillyJ
07-10-2014, 02:04 AM
I've been "holding back" for two days, not eating peanut butter out of the jar or having big desserts or anything very salty.

Awww man! What is it with women and peanut butter?? i could seriously eat half a jar in one sitting. That and almond butter, cashew butter .....

Mudpie
07-10-2014, 05:53 AM
Awww man! What is it with women and peanut butter?? i could seriously eat half a jar in one sitting. That and almond butter, cashew butter .....

I can't keep any butter in the house - except for regular butter and I only cook with that. I t stays in the fridge. I did have some out last week for corn on the cob and tried it on bread later - too fatty! :dizzy:

I wonder - do we crave nuts and nut butter because most of us are eating very little other fat? :shrug:

Mudpie
07-10-2014, 05:58 AM
DH is away this weekend. I'm going to take this opportunity to pull myself out of my slump re eating.

DH is depressed and it's taking its toll on me. I'm finding it less and less "precious" that he won't even attempt to do anything about it. Except drink alcohol and eat and watch TV late into the night. He's told me he plans to spend the rest of the summer like this and then take some courses in the fall. How will that help?

I have also suffered from depression. I went to a doctor and got medication (3 tries until I found one that worked) and went to counselling ( again the third try was the charm). I forced myself to work out and walk outside and those helped too.

DH and I are beginning to be more and more different in our approach to the world.

Dagmar :(

traveling michele
07-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Sorry that you continue to suffer with this Dagmar....

I had another experience yesterday that reminds me that I often perceive myself more harshly than I should. I went to bikram and was feeling fluffy and self critical of my tummy. Before class, the instructor asked me if I was a runner (no!) and asked what other exercises I do besides yoga. She told me I have "great abs"! I would never say that in a million years. I only see stretch marks and extra skin. Then, in class, next to me was a very fit girl with incredible abs. Not an ounce of flab on her. Then I realized she had stretch marks on her sides....way more than I do. But I hadn't noticed that at first. Maybe, just maybe, everyone isn't staring at my stretch marks and extra skin?

CalCounter1003
07-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Dagmar - that's really tough and can pull you back into depression. Many in my family have suffered with depression and anxiety and it is awful, for them and the rest of the family. Exercise would help him - even just slow walking. There is a quote from Mother Theresa that I like: "It is impossible to walk rapidly and be unhappy." Rapidly depends upon your level of fitness of course. I think of that when I am getting a little blue and it works! Of course, you can tell him till the cows come home and it may not happen.

JayZeeJay
07-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Dagmar, I am sorry for your challenging situation. I faced something similar in my last relationship before this one. It took many years for me to realize that I couldn't fix someone else, especially someone who wasn't ready to change. I eventually learned to pull back and still be supportive, but not completely immersed in his trouble (I was doing things like paying to enroll him in college courses, setting up job interviews for him etc., then being disappointed and frustrated with the results). He was eventually able to overcome his depression and inertia to some degree. In retrospect, it was very unhealthy for both of us for me to be so overly invested in his problems, and I know he was frustrated by my constant criticism. I wish I had good advice to give - my only advice is to take care of yourself and do what keeps you healthy and happy; perhaps it will have a "lead by doing" effect.

CalCounter: I love that quote, that is so true most of the time.

neurodoc
07-10-2014, 09:23 PM
I wonder - do we crave nuts and nut butter because most of us are eating very little other fat? :shrug:

I'm another one who could eat peanut butter, and almond butter even more so, for 3 meals a day if I let myself. And whenever I'm feeling binge-y (is that a word? it should be), the first thing I want are almonds and granola. But I don't believe it's a fat deficiency, because I don't crave other non-sweet fatty foods (hate avocado, could live without olive oil or butter, don't even particularly like french fries or other deep fried foods).

As for your DH, I know many of us here have felt your frustration over the last couple of years. Being a little (ok, a lot) more forward than the others on this forum, I have to ask outright, would you consider asking him to leave, or at least for a temporary hiatus in your relationship? I agree with JayZee that you can't make people change by asking them to, especially those who don't want to. But sometimes, the tough-love approach works.

Mudpie
07-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Andrea Thanks for your thoughts on DH. I think our main problem is that neither of us has anyone else for support or friendship. Due to some weird twists and turns in our lives and our odd social status neither of us has managed to keep friend from youth or make new ones. I have taken repeated stabs at enlarging my/our social circle over the years with no success. We are both extremely lonely.

Since we are so isolated DH has nowhere to go if I kick him out. He has one friend in another city but that wouldn't work in terms of his job. It sounds like I'm making excuses and I suppose I am. I would have no one to talk to but the cat if he left.

I think a lot of this will end if DH can bring himself to ACT. I'm just frustrated at how long it's taking him to do so.

And, let's face it, he makes a darn good excuse for me to let myself eat and drink with abandon. Only I can control my own behaviour. I've taken a hiatus in both weight maintenance and weight loss for a couple of months and now it's time to get back on the wagon.

I'm starting this weekend. Instead of sulking at being alone - DH is going to see his friend in the other city - and sitting in front of the TV eating and drinking beer I'm going to take myself to a movie Sat. night and go paddleboarding early Sun. I'm also going to paint a piece of furniture and go for an evening walk along the lakefront boardwalk without any dogs.

It's summer, I have a wonderful house and backyard, and it's time to enjoy it!

Dagmar :( to :D

saef
07-11-2014, 09:38 AM
154.2, when I thought I'd be heavier. This fascinates me, how I remain a maintainer, though maintaining higher than I'd wish to.

But people at the gym think I weigh less. I am sure this is the NROLW program.

traveling michele
07-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Dagmar.... Sounds like you have a lovely weekend planned and you won't be at all lonely..... Take care.....

paperclippy
07-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Hey folks, not much new to report here. Didn't lose any weight this week but my DR is down to 1 finger width so I still feel like I'm making progress at least. I'm guessing the lack of weight loss this week is related to my massive muscle soreness -- probably retaining some water and adding a little muscle. Eating was decent but not 100%. I kept my calories at a good level but didn't eat entirely wonderful foods. Will try to do my intensive workout a couple more times this weekend and see how it goes.

Sheila53
07-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Just have to agree about the nut butters, particularly peanut butter. If I were living alone, it wouldn't be in the house. DH enjoys PB, however, and eats a moderate amount, not straight out of the jar with a large spoon like me. Last night he stirred a Costco-sized jar of Adams crunchy (getting the oil distributed), my favorite. I really had to use all my willpower not to stick my finger in the jar. It's residing above the refrigerator, a place I can't reach unless I use a stool. That does deter me unless I'm really in binge mode. Oh, peanut butter, I love you so. . .

Dagmar, I'm so sorry about your ongoing struggles with DH. It's hard to watch someone you love go down such a self-destructive path and realize there's nothing you can do except take care of your own needs. It looks like you're doing that. Hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

alinnell
07-11-2014, 04:21 PM
I love PB. I always have some on hand. That said, I might eat some two or three times a year. I recently suggested to DS that it is good on apples (the boy loves apples). Now, once a week, I find the apple slicer in the sink and the little saucers we use for soy sauce with PB residue. The kid will never be fat. He puts some PB on the dish and uses 99% of it without having to get seconds. He also doesn't waste. The kid is amazing!

silverbirch
07-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Sounds like a lovely weekend to me, Dagmar. Will think of you paddleboarding. :hug: <- but don't want you to wobble!

I've worked out that when I think I want muesli in the evening it's because my tongue feels shrivelled by the tannin in my afternoon pot of tea. Today I had weak Lapsang Souchong and the tannin in that really had an effect. No wonder that the milk in the muesli has no long lasting effect. So no reason for eating it then!

Work too busy / school summer hols begun / no time to exercise properly. But I am weighing myself every day.

Mudpie
07-13-2014, 07:10 AM
We have thunderstorms happening so no paddleboarding. But that's fine. I will give myself a mani and pedi and sit with Mudpie, listening to the rain.

Today is day 2 of the "two weeks 'til the wedding" diet. I am confident I can get down to 135 by then. I bought a dress from the "vintage" store that will cover any lumps and bumps. Made in India, very loose "slip over the head" type in a kind of tie dye thing. Much nicer than I'm making it sound. And only $16!

yoyoma
07-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Birchie, have you tried rooibos (red tea)? It's an herbal tea that tastes a lot like black tea to me, but has no caffeine or tannic acid (at least not much). I love to drink it in the afternoons.

Dagmar, sorry DH is dragging you down. You've already been a great role model, but maybe you could ask if you could make an appt for him to see a therapist or doctor? Even doing something simple like that might seem overwhelming to him if he's depressed.

My weight is back to bouncing around, but at least its bouncing under 140 (so far). Yesterday at 139.6 (eek!) today at 137.8. I might need to tweak my food choices to make some real progress.

silverbirch
07-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Birchie, have you tried rooibos (red tea)? It's an herbal tea that tastes a lot like black tea to me, but has no caffeine or tannic acid (at least not much). I love to drink it in the afternoons.

:D It's the afternoon here. This morning I did the full set of exercises and the exhaustion kicked in early. Despite this, I've just moved an old sink to the car. And then I met the farmer who has the fields adjoining so we had a chat about paying for rebuilding walls (mostly in another language which surprisingly gave out towards the end - putting it down to tiredness) and then I met my next-door neighbour and consoled her about the loss of her wonderful tom cat (who she very sensibly had put down last week). This last resulted in me volunteering (with the DB) to cut down some trees in her tiny front garden. I am fully over-tasked anyway at the moment ...

All this to say that I've just got in, made a pot of rooibos tea and thought I'd look at 3FC! You're right, yoyo, it is a lovely tea and I should drink it more. :hug: We're in the same club! Thanks very much for suggesting it.

I've been on a detour from the path I know suits me and have been drinking other teas because the others are drinking them. I did this with eating chile for a while which is just stupid for me. I like to be adventurous with food and drink once in a while and then, often, I realise that I've been over this ground before and it's simply not for me. Sometimes things do work out OK, though, so it's worth trying things out.

Thinking I should just lapse into a coma or read my storybook for a while. :wave:

flower123
07-13-2014, 05:15 PM
hi. Someone suggested that this is where I should be posting. So I will give it a try. I have been yoyo all of my life. Over 200 lbs. And then down to goal. Maintence is illusive. I have, for the most part been in maintence for many months until the very beginning of June when I gained about 5 lbs. I lost 3 of the pounds over the next 5 weeks. But it feels like a hungry monster who lives within has woken up. Makes it so much harder to control things. I do want and need to lose those last 2 lbs and get back under control. But it is all I can do to just stay where I am. Even that is a huge challenge and exhausting.

yesterday I ate a whole 5.5 oz bag of cheese puffs which I dredged in powdered cabot cheddar cheese. And I was still completely unsatiated. I wanted MORE. I settled on something more healthy to eat. But believe me, it was excruciating. Today the scale is showing the results of my slip. And the slip did not even quiet that craving monster that lives within.

As I said, I do not know where I belong. Because I am struggling so intensly. And yet I have been in maintence until recently. The place I originally posted, someone suggested I come here. If there is a right place I want to find it.

I am tired of the exhaustion of living with this for so many decades. Even when it appears to be under control. It is always a whisper away from being out of control. I have tried so many things. Have looked to so many places for commonality and support. Any thoughts? I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks !!
Ps I eat low carb and 1400 calories a day generally. Thanks again. Wishing everyone best

Mudpie
07-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Welcome flower :wave:. One day at a time is how I cope with the cravings. If I slip I get right back to maintenance behaviours as fast as I can. It IS a lifetime commitment and that is a hard thing to get my mind to accept.

flower123
07-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Welcome flower :wave:. One day at a time is how I cope with the cravings. If I slip I get right back to maintenance behaviours as fast as I can. It IS a lifetime commitment and that is a hard thing to get my mind to accept. Dagmar :dizzy:
Thanks Mudpie. Words of wisdom. Yes. Slips must be corrected asap. I corrected quickly that same day. Did not let the slip proliferate. Thanks again. Wishing everyone best in their successes no matter how challenging things are in any moment.

apo9
07-13-2014, 07:22 PM
I think we are all in the same boat here.I am also maintaining on 1400 to 1800 calories a day and taking one day at a time.Saturdays I may go to 2000 calories but right back to 1400-1800 onSunday and rest of week.
I sometimes get a bit discouraged with the tight control but think of the alternative.I will not be happier fatter so I will continue counting calories and make the ones I am allowed count.When I was eating a lot of carbs I was hungry all the time and fatter...now I am sometimes hungry but thinner.
I will choose the latter.
Besides...often when I think I am hungry I am not...I just feel like eating.
I read an article about some fashion designer(cant remember her name) who was very trim and worked hard at it.Her comment was "life is not fair",but I have to work at being thinner and accept my fate.
Sometimes I think we have to think this way.
What do we want more....goodies or being thinner.
I rest my case.

alinnell
07-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Welcome Flower 123!!! Yes, you belong here!

I "maintain" at about 1500 calories per day but am one of those that needs to re-lose several pounds. I've found my new balance (had an issue with high blood pressure and upped my veggie intake and lowered my frozen diet lunch entree) and I feel confident that I can go back to losing in a couple of weeks (need time out for vacation and DD's wedding).

CalCounter1003
07-13-2014, 09:21 PM
I love roobios tea also! But I call it bush tea. I learned of it from the Alexander McCall Smith books, the Number One Ladies Detective Agency. Mma Ramotse drinks it in her town of Botswana. I became obsessed with it for a while but now I'm on a Good Earth orange spice kick.

flower123
07-14-2014, 02:16 AM
I love roobios tea also! But I call it bush tea. I learned of it from the Alexander McCall Smith books, the Number One Ladies Detective Agency. Mma Ramotse drinks it in her town of Botswana. I became obsessed with it for a while but now I'm on a Good Earth orange spice kick.
iced roobois tea. So delicious. I first discovered it in my local herb shop.

Alinnell, thank you for the kind words. You likely cannot imagine just how much they mean to me.

ICUwishing
07-14-2014, 09:44 AM
:wave: flower123!

I finally jumped back on the scale today and found myself a mere half pound away from the overweight line. Feels like it, too. Maybe a couple are reflections of a wildly indulgent long weekend that started Thursday night and ended with a "celebratory final nail" of a turtle sundae. Some of it's been the poor-me re the swimming, some of it's been feelings of being overwhelmed at work and home, some is a bad mindset about a vacation at the end of this month that I fear is going to be a nightmare. But (and butt getting bigger) it's time to take it all out on something besides the refrigerator, quit screwing around with 5:2 and go back to the same formula as 2010 - logging and calorie counting. The yo-yo has gone back up quite enough. :club:

krampus
07-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Hi Maintainers,

After pixellate's visit and tons of GI problems from too much fruit fiber, a music festival and a bout of hangover, I am down to 115.2 for the second day. I'm HUNGRY and I'm definitely going to have some kind of large sandwich for dinner as I spend all evening cleaning my old apartment to be "out" by tomorrow.

silverbirch
07-14-2014, 10:38 AM
:welcome3: flower123

krampus, have a cup of rooibos. I've just made a pot. There's enough for everyone.

JayZeeJay
07-14-2014, 11:35 AM
I have to tell you guys my tragic exercise story:

Yesterday I went out for a long run on a ridge trail that I love. I ran about 5 miles then stopped to stretch. I put my water bottle and phone on a stump, bent over to stretch... and a giant swarm of wasps came out from the stump. I ran for my life down the trail! I got two stings on the back of my head and a few on my thighs as I ran away. Then as I stopped to catch my breath, I realized that I had left all my stuff on the stump. And that included my car key (in my water bottle holder).

So I turned around and peeked around the corner. There were several hundred wasps buzzing around the area. I waited a while for them to calm down a bit, then took a long stick and tried dragging my water bottle toward me. This angered the wasps and they chased me away again, down the trail. So I only managed to move the bottle a few inches at a time. This cycle repeated for about 30 minutes until I finally had the water bottle, along with more stings on my face, my hands and my chest. At this point I looked at my iPhone, covered in wasps on the stump, and thought the he** with this, I'm going home.

I got home in a HORRIBLE mood and told my husband. He insisted on going straight back up the mountain to get the phone. I was in no mood to see those wasps again, I kept saying "I'll just buy a new one". But we went back up and he put on gloves, hat, ski mask etc. and just ran in, grabbed the phone and ran away. No stings.

So here I sit at work, one eye swollen partially shut, a finger like a painful sausage, itchy burning stings everywhere - and the thing that makes me the angriest is that I was having a really good run when all of that happened.

alinnell
07-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Geez, Jay! I think I'd be for leaving the phone up there, too! Very scary.

Am I weird that I like edamame for breakfast?

I am proud to say that I jogged last Saturday! Ok, sure, it was at a ridiculously slow pace but I did a full 5 minutes! I think it's been two years or more since I've jogged. It actually felt good and my knees are not complaining. I intend to repeat tonight.

traveling michele
07-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Welcome Flower! We all struggle......daily.......

Jay- that is the worst story I've heard in a long time! You poor thing!

Hugs to you Becky.

flower123
07-15-2014, 01:40 AM
Thank you UCUwishing for the welcome wave. Turtle sundae sounds divine.
Silverbirch, thank you for the lovely and exuberant welcome :)
Traveling Michele, thank you for the welcome and kind words
JayZeeJay How HORRIBLE this happened to you. I am so sorry. Must hurt a lot.

I think I have to go into carb deprivation to get this food craving monster back to sleep. But my addiction to cocoa powder in the form of low calorie hot chocolate is fierce. I keep the weight down though. Even though I want to lose the two I gained. Having lived a lifetime of yoyo I know all too well what a slipperly slope this all can be. 2 lbs turn all to easily into 3,4,...... Cant go there or do that. yoyo is the past. Not the future. Just have to get this food craving monster back into sleep mode. Where it belongs. Still looking for the hibernate setting, lol.

ICUwishing
07-15-2014, 08:05 AM
JayZee, your story gave me goosebumps! I am a total wasp weenie - and so sorry you had to bear the brunt of the wrath of those little flying arse daggers. :(

krampus, Enjoy that sandwich! It's probably not a bad thing necessarily that the bod will let us know when we've gone too far. A little negative reinforcement here and there can be productive. ;)

Bravo, Allison! Sending good wishes for your knees! And it's just my opinion, but I'd answer yes to your question. :lol:

Thanks for the hug, Michele. I'm owning the regain and not going to futz around hoping for an easy solution any longer.

silverbirch and the tea drinkers, I'd like to know what your favorite teas on ice are? I need some cold beverage options besides beer and water. :D

1605 good calories yesterday. The ticker's updated for yesterday's smack back to reality. I think I'm going to go scale-less for a bit while I get back in the groove, and just go by feel and fit.