Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 09:35 PM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default Anybody powerwalk?

I'm thinking of starting up power walking. I'm an avid walker, but just 3 miles a day, at a slow pace with my 60 year old mother every morning. We love the talking and gossiping.

I'm not losing any weight this way. I'm thinking of power walking at night, when it gets cooler. (the ave. temp. here in CA right now is 102, with not let up in sight!) Running is out, because of my asthma.

Does anyone do this sort of walking, and will it help me burn cals. all on it's own? I hate tapes, and weight lifting bores me to tears, day in and day out.

Thanks!

Heidi

(ps - can't afford a gym. No money left over at all)
Old 07-23-2003, 01:10 PM   #2  
The ever shrinking woman!

Heidi, I powerwalk on my treadmill, I get 1.5 mile in 20 minutes, and burn 100 calories/20 mins. I dunno if that's what you mean by "powerwalking" , but for me it is!

usually at 4.0 mph on average, btw. This is the only workout I did for many months during the peak of my weightloss... of course combined with the diet, it seemed to work well
Old 07-28-2003, 10:49 AM   #3  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

Hi gals. I have not been here in soo long! I was looking for the walk a day group?
Anyway I got myself a walking partner in the form of a 5 month old puppy and am walking about 2.5-3 miles about 3 times a week. I am going to get that up to at least 4 days a week.
I don't know if you'd call it power walking but I do keep up a prety good pace and do the 2 miles in just over half an hour. I started doing this mid june and have taken off 3 inches and 5 pounds. Thing is to get the heart going and keep it going for at least 30 minuts. If your not sweatin your not burnin is my thought.
I started my weight loss 4 years ago and have lost 60 pounds. Mostly throught diet but I need to increase the excercise and get rid of another 90 pounds to get to my goal. My pup, Pippin, will be a great motivator I think to keep going.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:28 AM   #4  
one phat chick

what exactly is powerwalking????
Old 07-29-2003, 08:40 AM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

I was wondering the same thing, so I did a Google search. Here are a couple of good links:

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/power.html
http://www.ivillage.com/diet/experts..._45910,00.html

In a nutshell, it's walking quickly rather than strolling. "When you power walk, you generally move along at a fast pace of 4.4 to 6.0 miles an hour, covering one mile in 10 to 13.6 minutes."

It often involves pumping your arms as you walk. The writer of the first page linked above prefers the term "fitness walking".

It is NOT racewalking, which has a specific definition and rules (and makes you look like a harried chicken, IMHO).
Old 07-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #6  
one phat chick

haha. ur hilarious. nwei, thanks so much for the info.

my right leg hurst when i try to jog. does this mean i have to buy knee support or thigh support. or whatever?
Old 08-02-2003, 11:39 PM   #7  

www.about.com also has a walking forum that is fantastic. Lots of information about everything you could possibly want to know.
I have plantar fasciitis, which is an inflamation of the long tendons of the foot. Causes my foot to hurt, esp. first thing in the morning. Got the right kind of shoes, and I'm at least able to walk. Would just die if I couldn't.
Julie
Old 08-03-2003, 05:33 AM   #8  
one phat chick

that's very good to hear!
Old 08-05-2003, 08:14 PM   #9  
Simply Noble

Ok I cover 2.5 miles in about 30 minuts so I guess that means I power walk. Been doing it several nights a week and am down 3 inches and 7 pounds for the last month.
Of course it also doen't hurt that I had to cut way back on my spending and have been eating a lot less.
My little 7 pound Pippin (puppy) just loves to go and she keeps me motivated to go when I am to tired to move after work.
My left knee gets a bit sore sometimes but I take a glucosomine and MSM suplement that helps a lot. I have some cartilage dammage from a horseback riding accident which makes Joggin impossible as it would cause more dammage.
orange bottle exactly where does you leg hurt? What does it feel like?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:23 PM   #10  
one phat chick

yno what i don't exaclty know how long a mile is.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:11 AM   #11  
Simply Noble

Hehe I bougth a pedometer so that I can keep track of how far I walk. If you mean you use kilometers sorry I can't translate.

Hey down 3 more pounds! I am finally below 260!
Closed Thread