South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Long Weekend Warblings - May 24 & 25

Good morning. The sun is up and the world out there is gorgeous this morning. I can smell apple blossoms with a whiff of lilacs. It's nearly time to wander down back roads and snitch lilacs from sites of abandoned farmhouses. The old-fashioned lilacs smell so much better.

Had another busy Friday gearing up for the Open Doors weekend but did have a nice lunch with my sister Joan. We got caught up on family stuff and had a good natter. I dropped off some quilts on the way home and arrived at the Mill to find that our super summer staff had it immaculate, ready for the weekend. Not only that but they had done their online safety course and Alyssa had trained three others to operate the lift so people with disabilities can get into the town hall which has a very high front porch! This morning I just need to finish a handout and print it and realize I could also have delegated this to this enthusiastic bunch.

So what do you folks do on Memorial Day weekend? Is it time for backyard grills, family, beer and general fun. I know some of you decorate the graves in the cemetery and generally celebrate the beginning of summer.

I'm celebrating with a mug of Paul Newman with just a touch of honey in it to sweeten. Come and join me for a bit.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

It is a beautiful morning, isn't it, Ruth! We slept with our bedroom windows wide open all night, and it was heavenly! You've hired a great bunch of staffers this summer at the Mill, it seems. I hope as the tourists increase, that they continue to handle their duties smoothly.

We're having our cookout tomorrow so I can have a restful day on Monday, and I need to bake a rhubarb custard pie, deviled eggs, and make a few salads today. I have to get groceries first thing this morning, though, since there just wasn't time to shop yesterday. I want to run up to the plant nursery to look for some flowers for my shady patio, too. I looked around while we were at Home Depot yesterday, but their selections were pretty lame.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Good morning, chicks.

I have more errands to run this morning. I work the closing shift tonight and tomorrow afternoon. We have no special plans for the long weekend, other than enjoying DS's company whenever he is around.

Have a great one.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 5"

Good morning! Foggy and cloudy here, chance of rain later but yesterday the predicted rain never came so may they will be wrong again. I managed to finish planting all the veggies so now I can play in the flower beds with no guilt.

No big plans this weekend other than getting DH to grill again. We had steaks last night; first time this season and they were delicious! I also tried something new for breakfast:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2013/02...-parmesan.html

DS2 works at a garden center so he is working long days this 4 day weekend.

Ruth, glad you had a nice visit.
Cottage, hope you get your prep done without too much stress.

About time to rummage for breakfast.

ETA- good morning, Karen!

Last edited by Beth19; 05-24-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Good morning Ruth so happy the kids are working out well.

Mom is here and I am wiped. She stays up until 11:30 lol the wild woman. today we are off to my sister's for super. Otherwise much needed down time this morning with Paul in our cups.

No Memorial Day plans. I hope to ride weather permitting.

Have a great day
Old 05-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning We made it home in reasonable time after a last walk on the beach. The line of traffic headed to the coast confirmed our decision to head home a little early. Apparently it poured at home but we missed it. Today it's Farmer's Market for plants and lots of veggies then home for the usual chores. I'm sure we will do some birding too

Beth - I made the version with asparagus for our traveling breakfast Tuesday Love her recipes

Jennifer - We switch from vacation mode to Mom mode. My parents are coming Tuesday for a couple of days

We are heading out now before the crowds. Plants go fast this weekend
Old 05-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone!

Spur of the moment I headed down to my restaurant to have breakfast with mom then we headed to Denver/Costco.

I've made much progress in the yard and with my rental project. Yesterday I installed a toilet for the first time. Lol.

New garden tool: Weed torch...use to try and eradicate a noxious weed in my yard. The only time I can even try is right now when the thousands of seeds have just sprouted. Common purslane. Did I ever have fun this morning...before my neighbors were up, of course.

Back to the restaurant tomorrow for 3 busy days.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

Good (early) morning. Beach Beauties. I hope everyone is enjoying this long weekend.

Debbie, did you know you can eat the stems, buds and leaves of purslane? I've done that and it is quite yummy raw in salads or cooked like spinach.

Day One of Doors Open went well. We had lots of folk for the Ploughman's Lunch at the Town Hall although the guy with the cider never showed up. We have a new volunteer who is just amazing! She prepped as much as possible at home and was really fast and efficient at putting the plates together. Looks like I will not have to spend as much time in the kitchen. We have a new local supplier for bread baked with our own flour and the loaves she made made disappeared very quickly yesterday! We're going to double the order this week. We also have a local supplier for maple sugar candies.

I'm going to go in to the Office soon to tally up yesterday's cash. We open at 10 but doing the $$ stuff is something I like to do when nobody is around. (I'll come home for another coffee and to change clothes before I'm on duty.) I'm hoping to be home by 4 today and will head for bed early to make up for last night.

Before that though, I am going to make the Kayln's kitchen breakfast with asparagus!

Have a lovely Sunday!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 5"

Good morning, Ruth and chicks to follow!
Big t-storms last evening but today is a beautiful sunny morning. I did not get out to do much gardening yesterday so today that will be my goal.

Ruth, sounds like yesterday was a great success and that perhaps you have found some good workers for this season.

The egg bake with asparagus looks great. I will have to try that next.
Right now it's coffee!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning

I got some annuals planted yesterday and my simple version of a nice yard is shaping up. I have smoothie made and it's time to head to work....soon.

Ruth, I have never tried the purslane, although I do understand it's edible. I will try it once this summer although I'm hoping I have to go to my mom's yard to find some. Lol. It has gotten to be a real mess in a certain section of my yard and I don't want it to move to any of my flower beds.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #11  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Beach Babes We had a little rain last night but it looks like a perfect, sunny day today. I just have to keep out of the garden long enough for the soil to dry. I have lots of plants to go in today. I'm trying to plant purchases before buying new plants. It's not easy because I have so much I want to put in. We have the ever expanding vegetable garden, it's a large fenced space with raised beds and plenty of room for more raised beds! Then there's the bird feeder perennial bed, the plants saved from the old house in the 90+ degree weather we moved with. It looks great this year and I want to extend it along the edge of the woods but maybe not this year. I have a new rhubarb bed started from clumps from two friends, I plan to extend that one along the edge of the yard too. Then there's the grape vine, just added one to our really enthusiastic and out of control older vine. I have a kitchen herb garden and a butterfly/hummingbird garden in progress. We want to add a fruit bush area but are trying to hold out until next year. I did buy two currant bushes from someone at the Farmer's Market. They came from her grandmother's bush so I know they will do well here. I love other people's plants, they are usually less fussy than garden center plants. Ultimately we want to turn our lawn into edible landscape with walkways just wide enough to mow. Then we have the lower end of the property which is in heavy recovery from Irene. Need to get that planted before the bamboo takes over. it does keep me out of trouble The one downside is the tick infestation. Three hours of yard work yesterday yielded two on me, one on Tim and a couple crawling on the dog. We are seriously considering Guinea Hens just to deal with the ticks. Tim wants a few chickens but I'm not sure how good they are at eating ticks.

Ruth - Sounds like you have a great volunteer. Hope it's another successful day.

Beth - Have fun in the garden

Time to get running. I've got a few errands to do before the roads are crowded.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #12  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning,

I have been up for awhile just relaxing about in the house. Got most errands and house work done yesterday. Bought a new window ac unit for DS room so we switched that out yesterday.

Not sure what is on the Agenda for today it is cloudy right now but we will figure out something fun to do.

Have a great day everyone sounds like everyone is enjoying their long weekend!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Just home now since I had to stay until we closed the Mill and two visitors showed up right at 5 PM. I had to give them a tour of the Mill since the staff were on their way home. Anyhow, I'm home now, zucchini lasagna is in the oven and I'll splurge on some red wine.

Tomorrow I'm not even going NEAR the place unless it catches fire. I'm first on the security system call list. (Maybe I'll unplug the phone.)
Closed Thread