100 lb. Club - #195 - Rain, Rain go away!

View Full Version : #195 - Rain, Rain go away!

Sandi
07-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Our other post was getting kinda long, so I thought I'd start a new one.

Things are pretty good here. Other that the rain that we keep habving. Our intersection was flooded this morning, power is out all over the place. Crazy weather.

Starting week 2 of my new plan. Dare I say that this is something that I think I could live with for the rest of my life. I am learning that popcorn triggers cravings for me. So as much as I like it, it need to become a rarely eaten food item for me. The key for me seems to be planning. (And then sticking with it, of course!)

I've attached a picture that was taken on Saturday at one of my many food functions from this weekend. I think it'll make a great before picture. It shows where all my rolls are, but I like it because it's not a "before" picture where I am just standing there. Plus, I think it's kinda funny that I have 2 plates in my hand.

Goddess Jessica
07-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Sandi!
I was at a party this weekend and people kept taking my picture while I was eating. I kept saying, "WHY?!?!?!?" Now, I'll just remember they are BEFORE pictures. :)

I'm so glad you like the Zone!!! It is such a good balanced plan and very easy to live with. Have you checked out the recipes on-line? http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/content/ReaderRecipes.asp?id=9 and http://www.drsears.com/site/Tools/ZonedRecipes/ZonedRecipeHome.nsf

I am going home for the first time in over a year and a half. For a whole week I'll be in the incredibly hot and humid city of Cincinnati. My family hasn't seen me in a long time and yes, I have lost some weight but my mother thought I had lost weight the last time I gained 50 pounds so, I never care what she says anyway. She's the size of a toothpick and I think she really is blinded by a mother's love.

However, I am going back to visit my old office so it will be good that I lost a little weight so I look better than when I left. :)

But it does mean that starting Wednesday I will not be posting for a whole week! I'm going to try to stay OP but with all the things I can only get back east (white castles, BW3's, Cincinnati Chili, Grater's ice cream and the list goes on and on) I think it will be hard. However, I do plan on spending a lot of time in the water to escape the humidity!

Sandi
07-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Actually, I ditched the zone before I ever started it. Too complicated. But I have taken alot away from readinfthe book. And I LOVE the Zone Perfect Bars. That's my afternoon snack! Yum! And no cravings!!

We are doing the old common sense approach. Plan your meals. Stay away from Junk food (cookies, doughnuts, candy) and stay away from Fast food. I am trying to pay attention to my body, notice what triggers what feelings. Week one went well, looking forward to week 2. It's awfullynice to not be counting anything and losing weight!!!

synger
07-21-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm amazed that I lost weight this week. I only really started on Wednesday last week. I'm enjoying using FitDay to track calories. It really shows me where all the calories come from, and all the fat.

Friday was really hard for me, as I mentioned in another post. Saturday I didn't pay much attention to "healthy" eating, but still stayed under my calorie goal even eating junque.

Sunday I found I wasn't all that hungry. I spent a good 45 minutes mixing topsoil and sand and applying it to the sunken areas of our backyard lawn. We're trying to fill it up so that it doesn't end up a swamp every time it rains.

Hunter and I went to the movies that evening, which to him means popcorn, soda, and sometimes candy. I got a diet coke. Usually I hate diet sodas and would rather have tea or water. But I gave it a try. It wasn't too bad, and helped fill me up and satisfy my sweet tooth for the evening.

Oh, by the way, if you haven't seen Pirates of the Caribbean, GO! It was one of the funniest, well-paced comedy adventures I've seen in a long time. It helps if you like Johnny Depp, but even if you don't you should give it a chance. The special effects were amazing, and rather subtley done until the end when they had the all-out battle.

Today is my and Hunter's day off, so we spent the early afternoon (Gem's naptime) playing computer games together. Now that she's up, we're heading out to the garden. Hunter got his new wood-chipper this afternoon, so he has to go try it out. /grin As soon as I'm done posting, I'm gonna go put my swimsuit on and my shorts over it. That way when I'm done in the garden I can get right into the pool. And today will be the day for it. It's SO hot!

gonzostar
07-21-2003, 04:09 PM
yep, it's hot here. what's up with the rain rain go away? how about PAINFUL HEAT GO AWAY??

they brought in lasagna today. lasagna! and that lady says she's losing weight too. yeah right. but i didn't eat it. no, no. i had some sugar free, fat free pudding and a burrito on wheat that i made at home. yay me.

tonight, david and i are going to the park where we walk/jog for about a mile and sweat a lot to get to a swimming hole. then we swim, and then we come back. yay for exercise that's fun too.

ok, time to go outside and relax for lunch. ciao.

Sandi
07-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Sorry Holly. It's just our crazy Indiana weather. My grass is greener than it has ever been in mid-July. I never have to water my flowers because we have been getting tons of rain.

We had storms last night, my little town flooded and it was raining again, so that's what prompted me!!! :)

Sheila53
07-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Hey, lucky you! I live in rain country, and it hasn't rained in what feels like months. My water bill is sky high because I planted some new flowers that need daily watering. All the lawns have been crispy since early June. We don't know what to do with all this sun! Seattlelites get really cranky if there's a week with no rain. . .

icewoman
07-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Hey all,

I had a weekend full of firsts. I went camping in the first time in over 10 years. It was a blast. I put on my swimsuit and went swimming with my little girl. It was 100 degrees out but didn't feel like it. I was on a boat for the first time and then I was also on a jet ski. Awesome that all I can say. We didn't pack enough food so we left early Sunday morning. It was a blast. I can't wait to go again. I am burnt on the back and face alittle but it was worth it. There were 2 little girls about 6 years old that wanted Stephanie my 15 month old to go swimming so I told them we needed to lotion up first and they did for me. All but my back and I put some on the face but not enough. We came home Sunday and slept most of the afternoon. I just can't believe the fun I missed out on. I am in seventh heaven with all that has gone on in the last month. It's been 1 month today that I started dating this guy. Scary he has me doing things I never knew I could. Have lost 5 pounds since I met him That's a big plus.

I wish it would rain alittle here also. Today is only in the lower 80's though so it's a little break in the weather.

Tomorrow is the big weighin. I want to have at least see 1.5 pounds off then I will be starting the year over and hoping to end the year with at least 20 pounds off. That's about 1 pound a week. I can do it. Take care all.

Jennelle
07-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Sandi - I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. PM me when you get it cleaned out.

bella23
07-21-2003, 11:57 PM
Well I had a good day today. I went to get some product to deliver tomorrow and then we stopped at the pet store and while there we got my sister a bunny. My kids were so upset that I didn't get them one, that I went to walmart and found a cage, and then went back to the pet store and got them a bunny. It is gray with white on it's paws. We call him Thumper. lol. He is SO cute!!!! And he has been a big help with me not munching. I hold him for hours (and deal with the poop, lol) and I don't think of munching. The petting keeps my mond off it! Who would have known.

Well that was about all today. I'll check back in in a couple days, i am going to my fathers house for the night!

Bella23

SuchAPrettyFace
07-22-2003, 01:27 AM
Sandi: Congrats on finding something that works for you. I love it when I see that I've lost & then automatically a voice in my head says, "Think how much you would've lost if you hadn't eaten @ Balistreri's this week." I hate that voice...

Jessica: Mmmmmm, Cincinnati Chili! My mom has a recipe, that stuff is the bomb-diggity! Good luck w/your family.

Synger: I agree w/you about Pirates. I looooove Johnny Depp. :love: I hope he gets a nomination for this role.

Holly: Good for you, saying no to free lasagna.

Sheila: I can't imagine it being rainy all the time, your flowers are prolly shocked to see the sun!

Icewoman: Glad to hear you had such a good time, you deserve it after the year you've had.

Jennelle: Glad to see your face around here. :)

Bella: Congrats on your new bunny!! My first was a gray & brown named Thumper. :)

I had a bad Saturday & good last 2 days. :) See my journal for more info, I am WIPED! :faint: and goin' to bed.

BA99TJ
07-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Well today is the big weigh in day... 5:30 pm. I'm actually excited to see what the number is because I have been a VERY good girl and I have not checked at home ONCE. I can't believe it. I was very worried I would peek this morning, but ended up being SO busy I didn't even THINK of it. hooray!!

Last night I made shrimp and broccoli with pasta for dinner, it was SO good!! I just heated up the shrimp and frozen broccoli florets in a skillet, added some Mrs. Dash garlic and herb, and squirted some ICBINBS on the pasta. It was DELICIOUS and so low calorie! MM. Can't wait to make it again!

OTher than that life is good. I'm more rested today which is VERY good. We got Coda back last night and she was SO excited to see me she was literally shaking all over!! I also got to meet the people who will be living downstairs at our new apartment and they are SO nice, so we're really feeling even MORE excited about moving, and now all the loose ends are tied up. Just 2 more days with the psycho lady upstairs and she moves out, and only 2 more weeks till we move out! Hooray!

JML
07-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Hi guys!

I know I haven't posted in a while. The new apartment is coming along. I LOVE living alone. It's so peaceful and free. I've got my bathroom and closets organized at this point, and i've started with the piles of papers on the desk. Every day I get a little more done -- which is amazing because I had a tremendously bad time with my back last week. I just do what I can. It's better this week. I think I had just done too much. I have to learn my limits and learn how to ask for help when I need it.

The weight is staying the same. I'm still at 140 believe it or not. But, I'm still adjusting to maintenance eating. When I eat more than I do for weight loss, I feel guilty. And if I eat treats -- things I stayed away from during weight loss like lemon meringue pie, etc., I feel guilty, and it's easy for me to eat too much. So, I still have an eating problem, but I'm aware of it. I'm letting myself eat more so as to stay at 140, but I don't want to go higher. I really like being right where I'm at.

Jeanne

Sandi
07-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone!!

It is so gloomy here. Looks like it might rain again.

I am doing pretty good sticking to my new program. It seems like now that I am staying away from the junk (sweets & fast food) the cravings are pretty much gone. Before I let myself have all that and I just counted the calories. Since I am not counting I am making much healthier choices. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out in the long run. Hubby lost 5 lbs last week too. He is with me on this 100% this time. That seems to help. (No one asking for ice cream or Pizza Hut)

Jacob is potty trained, but he still used a potty chair and still took a binky (pacifier) at night and when he napped. DH has been talking to him nightly about how he is a big boy and should throw it away. Saturday night he did just that. He asked for it once on Sunday and I reminded him that he threw it away and there has been no mention of it since. Well I told him that since he was being a big boy, we should put his potty chair away too, and he did!! What a great weekend!! Of course then Monday morning he peeded in my bed and was very proud of it and thought it was funny. You jump one hurdle and here comes another!!! :D

JML Good to hear from you!! I am glad to hear that you are maintaining. That is just as hard as losing the weight, it just has a lot more perks. I have never been a maintainer, I am either losing or gaining. NEVER maintaining. Glad to hear that the apartment is going so well. What a year you have had!!

BA Good luck tonight!! I'm sure you'll do great! It's nice to see you back with your old enthusiasm.

SAPF Are you feeling better??

Bella That's funny that you mentioned that about the bunny. There was a bunny at the open house over the weekend that Jacob just loved. I was thinking about getting him one, but maybe I should wait until he is a little older.

Icewoman It's so nice to hear that things are going good for you!! Yay!!!

Holly Good job on saying no to that Lasagna!! Woo Hoo!! That would have been hard to pass up!!

synger Johnny Depp is the man!! Can't wait to see the movie!

Jessicca Have you tried the new Zone perfect bar in Chocolate Vanilla Cream?? It's my afternoon snack today, I am dying to know how it is. I can buy them at Target for 97 cents. I was at Meijer and they were $1.75 a piece. And they are suppossed to be a discount store!!

Hi to everyone else!

:p

mthrgoos68
07-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Sandi, Some of your rain must have come our way last night. We got a great storm last night with 70 mph winds and lots of thunder and lightning. It was beautiful!!! Be glad Jacob had a binky, I have a 7 year old that I still catch sucking his thumb sometimes and I can't take that away from him!! I'm glad the potty training is done at our house, but there are certainly days when I miss having a baby around. My "baby" is 4 now and not much of a baby any more.

JML, I'm glad to hear about you maintaining. Although I still have a ways to go, I already worry about how to keep it off once I get there.

BA, I'm so glad to hear that your move is so close!! I know you'll feel so much better once you get moved. Anxious to hear how the weigh in goes!!

Bella, A bunny, huh? We have a hamster, maybe I should try holding her when the munchies hit. It's worth trying any way!!

Tamara, Your new romance sounds wonderful and the camping trip sounds like it was so much fun. I'd love to try it!!

Holly, Good for you for resisting the lasagna!! You should be really proud of yourself!!

Glad to hear that everyone is doing so well.

synger
07-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Holly: LASAGNA! Oh, how strong you were! When it comes to that cheesy, fat-filled goodness, I'm like Garfield. /chuckle I have a friend who makes lasagnas and freezes them. Whenever we have an illness or a party, she brings one by. I can't bear to tell her "no thanks." I usually cook it up and have it for one dinner, then section out the rest in one-serving sizes and re-freeze it for Hunter's lunches. Temptation in the freezer is easier for me to resist than temptation in my frig. Or sitting all hot and cheesy on my countertop, calling my name....

I hear you about exercise that's fun, too. That's the kind of exercise that actually gets done regularly. /grin

Sheila: That's how our weather was last year. All sun and no rain. Maryland had severe water restrictions. This year, however, it's been lots of rain (so much so that in the early spring we couldn't even get our early vegetables planted.)

Tamara: Oh, it sounds like you had SO much fun. I love camping, and haven't gone since Gem was born. I like boating, too, but have never been brave enough to try a Jetski. Sounds like you've found a wonderful, fun friend in your new beau. Isn't it amazing what we'll try when someone who believes in us helps us along?

Bella: Kids and pets are fun to watch. Our Gem runs after the cats, but they're too fast. And we discourage it. But she's all agog when she's being quiet and they'll actually come up to her. For just a second, though, 'cause then she'll move and they're off like a shot. The other day she "hid" under an empty laundry basket, and both cats came to investigate (they're fascinated with boxes and such) and stuck their paws through the plastic mesh. She couldn't resist moving very long, but it was fun while it lasted. I'm sure your kids will love their new bunny very much.

Beth Anne: That shrimp and broccoli sounds yummy. Broccoli is the only green vegetable my husband will eat, so we eat a LOT of it. And a quick recipe like that is one I'd actually make at the end of the day, instead of eating my usual toast and cheese dinner. /sigh Good luck with the moving! When we moved into our house I got SOOOOOO tired from packing and such. Of course, I was six months pregnant when we moved, and Hunter did most of the actual work. But I remember just feeling overwhelmed by all the stuff to pack and check and switch and update. "The loose ends" as you put it.

Jeanne: I can't imagine maintenance eating. I'm always either not paying any attention at all (and gaining, slowly but surely) or micro-managing my diet/exercise (and losing until I lose steam and quit again). It sounds like you've become very mindful of what you eat and why. That's what I'm aiming for, and the reason I've added journalling to this attempt. Your example and insights really help me think long-term.

Sandi: I wish Gem were potty trained. I'm hoping the Potty Training Fairy will come by one night while she's sleeping and take care of it. /sigh She HAS gone poopy in her potty once (and kept trying to stand up and look to see what was happening), but other than that she's not really interested. We're not pushing it. She's only 2 and a couple months. She's got plenty of time. She HAS learned to get out of her crib, though, so we spent last evening taking it apart and putting her mattress on the floor as a Big Girl Bed. It's gonna take her a while to get used to it. Poor thing. It must be hard to be 2 and have to deal with bedtime when there are SO many other things you want to do.

Mothergoose: I hear ya. Gem sucks her thumb, and probably will for a while. Plus she has her Monkey who has to go to bed with her. (One of those long-limbed stuffed things with velcro hands and feet. It had been hanging from her crib when she was a baby as a decoration. She started "silking" the tail, and it's now her best friend and comfort/security item.) I know that I sucked my finger until I was seven or so, at night to go to sleep or when I needed comforting. Almost all kids grow out of it and find other ways to self-soothe and deal with stress.

gonzostar
07-23-2003, 04:17 PM
gosh, i wish i had time to post a big long entry right now, but i'm squeezing this in on my lunch break right now. basically, i'm kinda bummed with a 5 lb gain today. i don't know if it's right, maybe it's water, so i'm going to have an extra weigh in tomorrow. but it still made me sad.

job's going ok. i really like the people, so that's good. david's starting to find things... he got a temp job (4-6 weeks) but he also interviewed for a permanant position and he'll find out on monday. cross all your fingers, please!!! i NEED to move out of his parent's house NOW!!! aaaaaaaaaah.

ok, gotta run. big kisses! i look forward to the time when i can actually read all the threads again!

JML
07-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Well, I'm trying to be mindful. I still feel like I'm eating too much, but I stepped on the scale this morning. No gain. I'm falling into a habit I don't like. When I get home from work, I sit down at the computer and check my email and crave treats --- and eat them -- one after the other. I know that eating alot of treats right before bed is a fattening habit, so I'll try to curb it, but it's hard to know how much I can eat. I'm not trying to lose anymore. I just want to stay where I am.

I don't weigh every single morning. Just every couple of days, because I don't want to be thinking of my weight every single minute.

I feel good about losing the weight. I know that I accomplished something!

My attention that I'm starting to settle into the new place is focusing more on social life. Little by little, I'm building the life that I want to live, and it's very freeing.

Jeanne

gonzostar
07-24-2003, 04:02 PM
thursday. almost friday. can't wait.

i have fun planned for this weekend. fair on saturday, shopping and movies on saturday.

so i'm REALLY watching my calories this week cuz today, scale still showed up 4. so i lost one for water, but in reality, i guess i'm up. so depressing.

i'm going to make a no snacking goal for next week, i've decided. but i'm going to start it today, too. cuz there's no sense snakcing as much as possible until monday, right?

hope all is well with everyone!

AngiKL
07-24-2003, 08:52 PM
I'm weighing about 5 times a day now. Obsessed.

gonzostar
07-24-2003, 10:07 PM
yipes! angi, it will be so much more fun to see those numbers drop in large increments!! wait til next week. :)

synger
07-25-2003, 09:48 AM
I feel good! I woke up this morning without lower back pain, and could turn in bed without aching. I still spent a few minutes warming up my ankle so I could stand without pain (tendonitis is a real witch some mornings), but I had energy and felt good.

A few days ago I started doing some light stretches in the ten minutes or so before going to bed. I got my copies of the Idiot's Guide to Yoga and Yoga for Wimps out and refreshed my memory of some of the easiest, most basic postures. (Yoga for Wimps is wonderful. It gives modified versions of classic poses, and tells you how to use walls, chairs, towels, and blankets to help you with the poses. Very friendly.) It's just some basic leg and back stuff, but I think it's really beginning to pay off.

And last night, I couldn't sit and watch TV. I wanted to be up and doing something. When was the last time THAT happened! /chuckle

I spent some of the evening cleaning up the toys that have accumulated around our clothes-drying rack, so I can reclaim it for its true purpose. My weight bench. Yes, the weights may be Hunter's but the bench is mine -- and I never let him forget it. /evil grin I got it for my birthday a couple years ago from Sears, and I worked on it pretty regularly until I got pregnant. Now that the area around it is clear, I'm going to restake my territory and start lifting again. I pulled my Growing Stronger book off the shelf and started looking at my old routines. Nothing crazy -- I've never been a power-lifter by any means. But I like to do a rounded routine of basic strength training in addition to aerobic stuff.

Holly, I hope David's job search and your home search are going well. It's gotta be crazy living in someone else's house. /comfort

Jeanne, I know what you mean about snacking after work. It's the hardest time for me, because I'm really hungry. If I don't get some real dinner, I end up snacking my dinnertime away. It doesn't help that Hunter and I have different schedules, and Gem has already had dinner by the time I pick her up. What helps me is to have a plan of action when I come home, something I've already thought about and decided to do. Like have a piece of toast or fruit to stave off hunger pains while I cook. Or to get into my gardening togs and take Gem out in the backyard for half an hour. A plan always helps. Otherwise I end up snacking and snacking and snacking.

Angi, I know how easy it is to fall into the "must...weigh...myself" trap. I got so excited the first week or so that I was weighing every day. I have put the scale into another room in the house so it's a bit more effort to go there. That makes me hyper-aware of stepping onto it, and makes it easier for me to wait until Monday morning.

AngiKL
07-25-2003, 11:14 AM
Well, I do need to weight every day because once I get close to my adoption goal (2 or 3 pounds away) I'm going to the doctor to document it. The adoption agency has given us 5 pounds grace, so now I just need to be 193 or below on the DOCTOR's scales. I was 193 today on my bathroom scales, so I think I'll go in on Monday unless the numbers go up.

But! You're right, I shouldn't be weighing more than once a day. I know that! It's just hard to enforce. I'm happy to report I only weighed twice yesterday and I plan on not weighing anymore today - just the one time in the morning.

When I get that blasted doctor's letter, I promise to go back to weighing once a week!

gonzostar
07-25-2003, 04:14 PM
i feel your rain pain, finally! we got crazy, crazy thunder and rain today! it make me jump and yelp while i was on the phone with a client. eh. being in CA, it will be gone in no time. hopefully by tomorrow, so our venture to the fair will be enjoyable.

tomorrow, david and i are going to apply for those awesome apartments we want. we're going to get letters of employment to do it, and hopefully my horrible credit won't automatically deny us. we have an appointment at noon.

SEND US GOOD THOUGHTS!!

ok, see you guys on monday, and i'll let you know how it went. =)

Sandi
07-25-2003, 04:46 PM
~~~~~GOOD VIBES~~~~~~ coming your way Holly!!! :) :)

synger
07-26-2003, 12:00 PM
This morning we went out to IHOP for breakfast. Got my usual Grain and Nut pancakes, scrambled eggs, and crisp bacon. But I used my new SuperPowers of Portion Estimation (TM) and ate as much as I needed (NOT wanted), then stopped. Slowing down in eating really helps. I ate half of my eggs and only a quarter of the pancakes. I was pretty amazed when I got back and put it all in Fitday to find that it was only about 600 calories, all told. I had figured it would be more than that.

I've been amazed recently by how BIG portions are. The last couple days at work, I've gotten fish, liver, and chicken, each of which were really two-three portions (I'm using the "deck of cards" and "palm of hand" esimates). Usually by the time I get to lunch, I'm very hungry, and could easily wolf the whole thing down. My strategy is to look at the plate, estimate one serving, and cut that portion off. Then I eat only that portion, and try to eat slowly enough that my hunger feedback mechanism catches up. What hurts the most is spending all that money, then throwing half of it out. When we go out to dinner, I can take the rest home, but I don't want to do that at work. (though I suppose I could -- they have to-go boxes and our office has a frig... something to think about)

On our way home we stopped by the local Fitness First club and took a tour. Hunter's been complaining about wanting to work out, and so have I. I know, though, that we're both really good at getting into a club and being all excited, then a few months later giving up on it and still having to pay the rest of the year's membership. I'm rather excited about it, though. If we did it, it would be the first time we were doing it together. Our fitness exploits have always been done separately.

He's balking at the price. But we get a discount for the second person, and they have on-site daycare for Gem. I'm hoping after he thinks about it a while we'll be able to do this. The guy who gave us the tour gave us each a free pass, so I'm thinking we'll give it a try this week and see how it works in real life. I mean coming home, grabbing a quick dinner, getting over there, working out, coming home, putting Gem to bed late... He also said once we used the first pass, he'd give us a second one if we wanted. I'm gonna push Hunter to at least give it a try.

SuchAPrettyFace
07-26-2003, 02:41 PM
Had an amazing time w/DB last night. Yes, he's back in the picture. He was never really gone. :cloud9: Now we will see where this journey leads. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Daners
07-26-2003, 06:36 PM
Sounds like things are going pretty well for everyone, it's nice to be back. I've missed you guys and thought of you often in the past couple of weeks.

Atlanta was awesome! I was volunteering there for a Lutheran youth event that was attended by 25,000 youth and their sponsors. I learned that it's all about the credentials, just flash the photo ID badge and into where ever you wanted to go. Big fun. Mostly manned a phone line for folks to call with their questions and problems with the event, but did a little security work as well. Was in the front row for the Audio Adreneline concert, was there to back up security if they needed it, but they didn't. Good kids!

We walked all over the place that week. Got really good at using the MARTA too. Visited the World of Coca-Cola, Phipps Plaza (with a Saks 5th Avenue and Tiffany & Co--man, that store made me so nervous, and my eyes didn't quit sparkling for several hours after we left the store). Also went to the Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Social Change, along with Ebeneezer Baptist Church where he used to serve. That was a very powerful experience. I can't imagine living in a time when people thought it was okay to treat other people like that. Also did the CNN Studio Tour on our last afternoon.

We had a bumpy flight back to Kansas City, hit a huge air pocket during the initial climb of take-off, made the tops of my feet sweat! Got in late, had the long drive back to Omaha, went right to camp.

Spent the last Monday-Friday at camp with the confirmation kids, was great! Camp is always a good time. Got to try out the "flying squirel" while I was there. They put you in a harness that's connected to a climbing rope, that goes over a pully, and comes back down on the other side where four others are clipped into the rope too. Everyone runs forward at the same time, and before you know it, you're flying, still taking steps, looking much like a squirrel flying up a tree. BIG FUN!

Mom and I baked Kolaches today, just what I need, but they're so good.

So that's what I've been up to, and now I'm back for quite a while, next trip isn't til October.

So now it's time to get back on track with WW, am hoping for a loss on Tuesday, but not expecting one. We'll see how the next few days go.

gonzostar
07-27-2003, 09:07 PM
welcome back daners! yay aimee! good job synger!

so, things didn't go so well. we got denied for that apartment complex, and we know that any place with a credit check will decline us too. so now we have to hit the newspaper and find a private renter. argh.

will we never move? i can feel the weight piling on as i live in this place that i hate so much. i need to be strong. i need to eat well and exercise despite my living conditions.

one day at a time....

missaprylj
07-28-2003, 01:27 PM
My computer is still down and I'm back at the library.... argh. I cannot even begin to tell you how behind I feel here, lol. There's like 2 pages of threads, lol.... Oh well.
Hello to all of the new members that may have come along while I've been gone.
And... of course, hello to everyone whom I miss so very very much. (That would be all of you, LOL.) Well, I guess I'm "out of time" on this computer. GRRRRRR. Have a GREAT week and I'm going to get on my dad about getting on the computer guy... this is nuts. Love Always! -Apryl

muelledk
07-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Hi all!!! I know that I haven't been around for most of the summer (except a few days here and there). Sadly, this will probably be a trend. I have started my student teaching. I started on Wednesday and things are going pretty good so far. I think that I like my teacher, but the kids don't start until Wednesday, so we'll have to see. Mark had his birthday party last monday, and my mom has moved in for about a month to help with day care, so things are a little crazy. I haven't been weighing myself lately, but my clothes still fit, so I look at that as a good sigh, and I keep on telling myself that the snacking will have to end as school starts (no more finishing off the boys' meals!)

Holly, I am sure that you will find a great place. Don't get too down. Just think of all of the money that you are saving right now by not paying rent. Sometimes the private rental places are better anyway.

Hope that everyone else is doing well. I'm going to be checking in at least every night, even if I don't post, I'll see how Y'all are doing!

BA99TJ
07-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Well, here I am again, after a week of being bad. I have no idea why I keep doing this to myself, but I HAVE TO STOP. I'm not going to weigh in tonight, I'm going to go next week and make this week count!!

Things got REALLY bad with the lady upstairs this past week, it was like her last hoorah! before moving out. But she is GONE. Money was also tight and we've been running around like chickens with our heads cut off, and not home much, and having to find convenience foods because all the dishes are packed, and I wasn't thinking ahead when I did pack. *sigh* and packed a few things I needed. Oh well, just trying to make do.

Tonight the plan is grilled pork loin chops with green beans and brown whole grain rice. I'll rub the pork chops with mrs. dash (mmmm) ahead of time to give them some flavor.

This morning I had three hard boiled egg whites for breakfast, I'm trying VERY hard to avoid as many "processed" carbs as I can so I have some fruit for snacks, some chicken for lunch, and one low-fat granola bar (because I can't cut it all out or I will lose my mind.) I know if I can JUST make it through today - that today is the HARDEST day.

Charbar
07-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Beth Anne.. are you moving? it is soooo hard to stay on a diet when your life is upside down. Things will get back to normal for you soon.

I went to the denist this morning.. my teeth feel so silkly again :D

I am back at ww - this is week one for the 91st time :lol: so far so good.. went a bit over yesterday - but I'm not stressing. My goal this week was to buy a pretty journal book for myself and jounal everyday.. and I have. And also no more regular soda - so far so good!

Dana

gonzostar
07-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by slimdown
it is soooo hard to stay on a diet when your life is upside down.

dana, that fits me to a T right now. i'm having the hardest time. when i was losing consistantly, i was counting ALL calories and logging them in calorieking. now i'm just trying to "eat well"... whatever the **** that means. but my life IS upside down. i don't cook my own meals (well, unless you count the microwave), i don't have internet access all day to log my calories, i don't have access to the gym at my apartment (the place where all my stuff is!)... i don't even buy my own food... if i do, it gets eaten by someone else in the family.

i feel so totally out of control. i'm depressed about it bacuse whenever i'm happy that i didn't gain, i actually wish i was still losing. every week that i don't lose adds another week on to my end date.

i feel like i'm hanging on by this thread and that if we don't get our own place soon, that thread is going to snap and i'm going to land in a pool of pizza, ice cream, and cookies.

what is helping me is coming here at least once a day (on my lunches at work), and david. he's still watching me, still won't let me scarf down food mindlessly but rather says something like "have you thought about what you're eating?" or "do you have the calories for that?"

i'm afraid to weigh in tomorrow. but i will face it, and i will keep plugging along.

BA99TJ
07-29-2003, 03:18 PM
oh holly ((((hugs)))) I can almost relate to you (except for the family eating my food stuff). You're in my thoughts girl. Just hang in and DO THE BEST YOU CAN DO - that's all you can do!! You CAN make it. If you have to eat "Bad" foods, just eat LESS of them.

Dana - yes I'm moving and my life is rather upside down - or rather contained to about 5 million cardboard boxes.. so yeah its stressful at the moment. I'm SO proud of you for joining WW - I did too 2 weeks ago - and I know I'm going to do it this time.

icewoman
07-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Hello all,

Wow this has been a whirl wind weekend and week so far. Friday my ex stopped by for a minute to pick up some stuff. My little girl just hung on him and want his love so much. He told my son to take her and I gave him the stuff and he was gone. Not so much as a I love you to the kids or a I miss you. Well I had to pick up the heart broken little girl and tell her I loved her. She just cried daddy daddy. I just cried with her. Saturday I went to a meeting and my boyfriend watched the kids while I was out. When I got home my living room was cleaned and the kitchen all but the dishes, and he got my son to clean his room. Oh my I was just happy. We went and bought a new bed. I have been getting terrible backaches from my bed so my bf bought me the mattress and box spring and frame. He said we will get the headboard when we have more money. Saturday night we went to my moms for supper. It was so funny he looked at me and said do you want to wait for your dad to come in or do you want to tell your mom the news now. She was freaked she thought he was moving in already. Sunday we all went to church and went out for lunch. We spent the rest of the day cleaning my room to get the old bed out and the new one in. The bf's SIL bought my old waterbed so it went right to her house. My parents really like Richard. He was out of town yesterday and today so I probably won't see him till tomorrow night maybe.

Now weight wise we will have to see. I weigh in tonight but I am not expecting a lose. I have been a pig when it comes to food this week. I hope it gets better. I will post tomorrow to let you all know the results of the week. Take care all and hope to see you thinner soon.

synger
07-31-2003, 08:07 AM
I have to do some planning. Today and the next four days it's supposed to rain (thunderstorms). So I won't get my Metro walking in (10 minutes to/from), won't be able to take Gem for a neighborhood walk, and won't be gardening. I need to plan my exercise!

This morning has felt lazy. Since I didn't walk from Metro, I didn't bother taking the stairs up to the third floor like I have been. I took the elevator and blamed it on my overly heavy bag this morning (Oh, I don't want to carry that up the stairs. /whine /whine /whine)

So, I'm gonna plan two 20-30 minute hallwalks today.

Other than that, things are going well. Our houseguest, who was planning on staying with us two weeks while she started her new job and before she could move into her new rented room, will be staying longer. The room fell through. It's not too bad, but sometimes it's really hard to have someone else living in your house. It's worst on the weekends when Hunter works and it's just me and her and Gem. She talks ALL the time -- a running commentary on whatever's in her head. I need quiet time. So I've been really trying to be assertive enough to tell her when I need her to leave me alone.

Last night she came in from work while I was just finishing up my yoga. I had really tried to get my workout done before she or Hunter would get home, but I started later than I had hoped. But she was great. She saw that I was working out, and that it was yoga, and she stayed upstairs (we have a split level house and the downstairs area is the combined computer room/workout room/play room/guest room). I really appreciated that.

BA99TJ
07-31-2003, 08:32 AM
I'm into work early today because I have to leave early to go meet with our landlord's husband and give him lots of money and get a key to our new apartment!! I'm really excited.

However, I'm also in a TON of pain. I've done something odd to my neck. It's happened once before and I just had to go to bed and when I woke up the next day I was fine, this time it hurts more today than yesterday. So I brought in my microwave heat pack/neck wrap thing, and just took one of my perscription ibuprofens.

On a completely different note, I have finally found a cure for my head. I have suffered for a long time from really severe dandruff/sebhorric dermatitis. They've tried EVERYTHING. You can tell if you have sebhorric dermatitis most often if you also have red peeling oily patches by your nose and between your eyebrows/in your eyebrows. I've paid so much money for every shampoo out there and even perscription shampoos, and nothing has ever worked completely or for very long. I have been in agony (itching and pain!!) the last two weeks, and of course most of my shirts are black which just doesn't help matters at all. So, I turned to my ever faithful internet where I found more than one place advise soaking your hair with Apple Cider vinegar and letting it sit for about 5 minutes (or more if you can) after shampooing, then rinse thouroughly and use a nice smelling conditioner. Well for the first time since I can remember my head does not itch and I haven't seen one "flake" today. It is amazing how something so simple can completley solve your problems, and I'm mad that no doctor (including a dermatologist!!) ever told me about it before.

Next news of the day, this morning I stopped and bought a toothbrush/toothpaste/listerine and a little cosmetic bag to keep it in for work. Not because I have bad breath, but because I cannot control my eating at work. So I figure if I brush and rinse after every meal that minty taste should keep my mouth shut and not munching on something (hopefully!) I don't know if it will work, but I was desperate to try anything.

hope you are all well..

Goddess Jessica
07-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Okay girlies, did you miss me while I was on my trip to Cincinnati?

I missed you guys and boy can you tell, I've gained 7 pounds and my pants are tight! I ate and ate and ate. My week was filled with Bailey's Irish Cream Cheesecake and lamb and cincinnati chili. Oh did I ever love it.

But today, I'm back to cottage cheese and fruit. Sigh! :)

I've been reading Dr. Weil's Optimal Guide to Eating (or something like that). Synger, I think you would dig this book. I thought about you as soon as I started reading it. There are things I disagree with but for the most part, it's very helpful in a holistic sense. It made me remember that I love to prepare food and I love to sit down and savor it. Something I tend to skip over now.

On vacation, we took the digital camera. Boy, I was not happy with the way I looked in a swimsuit. Which is suprising since I usually think I look grand in a swimsuit. However, the Cute Boyfriend was REALLY unhappy with the was he looked in a swimsuit so, he's back on board with me again. Very good.

Man, it stinks to me 7 pounds more than when I left but what can you do but get back on that saddle and try again.