Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Fat is the key for me - and you?

Normally I drink coffee in the morning with about a half cup of half and half. I was out of half and half, so I used whole milk. With all that fat removed, I found myself STARVING 2 hours later whereas normally, I'm not feeling hungry at all until 11 am. So, I "saved" myself about 74 calories this morning (all fat calories) but I then needed to eat a 210 calorie snack to make it through the morning. So, I actually ate MORE this morning than I EVER do because I ate a less fatty breakfast.

Lesson learned? NEVER run out of half and half again! I should have used cream... but my husband poo-pooed the idea. He still isn't convinced about the increased saturated fats.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #2  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I haven't noticed a correlation between fat and hunger, but I have noticed one between fat and satiety. Like, if I have a low-fat protein such as fish with just some broccoli my brain/body is all, "That's it? Are you kidding?" and I suddenly have an urge to eat a whole jar of peanut butter or something. If I dump some cheese on that broccoli, though, everybody's happy. All I've added is 50 calories and 5 grams of fat....but that little bit makes a difference.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

What is a half and half?

Isn't fat and hunger and fat and satiety really the same thing in the context of what the OP is describing? But I too have not noticed any correlation for myself personally.

I usually have carbs for breakfast (banana or oats) and will be hungry at around 12 noon. That works for me.
magical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Protein is what keeps me mostly satisfied. I have oats and 2 cans of fish for breakfast and that gets me through to lunch (just, but just is all you need).

I mainly eat fats because of the health benefits of doing so.

Last edited by IanG; 05-16-2014 at 06:27 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #5  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Quote:
Originally Posted by magical View Post
Isn't fat and hunger and fat and satiety really the same thing in the context of what the OP is describing?
For me, "hunger" means I actually feel a physical need for food - like a car running out of gasoline, I need fuel. "Satiety," on the other hand, means that my body has no need for food but what I've just eaten did not satisfy my mental/emotional need. I'm full but unhappy, basically. And my happy quotient goes way up just by increasing the fat content of a meal. On a low-fat diet, I'm not hungrier, but I am one very unpleasant b*tch.

Last edited by Novus; 05-16-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #6  

Ah, I see what you mean. I usually just refer to it as satisfying my cravings.

Come to think of it, after Ian mentioned that he ate tuna (a fatty fish), I do take Omega-3 supplements at breakfast time most days. That may have an influence on my hunger level after breakfast.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #7  
Sunshine!

S/C/G: 315/246/180

Height: 6' 0"

I've noticed awhile ago that for me there is a real connection between fat and hunger creeping back on me soon.
I've added Goat Cheese to my salads! Wow! I found a low sodium one at Costco that is really great. Adds flavor that can be lacking in a weight loss program that is sodium restricted. You must measure the cheese so you don't get too much sodium.
JeanniesPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

Quote:
I do take Omega-3 supplements at breakfast time most days. That may have an influence on my hunger level after breakfast.
Do you find it has helped magical? I mostly eat fatty fish for the other benefits, especially cardio-vascular, skin, hair, eyes, joints etc.

And I do not eat much tuna because of the mercury. Most of the fatty fish I eat is wild salmon, sardines, sprats, sturgeon, kippered herrings, anchovies, trout etc.. Smaller stuff lower down the food chain. Line caught albacore tuna is good though, and I do have that every now and again!

Last edited by IanG; 05-16-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #9  
Sunshine!

S/C/G: 315/246/180

Height: 6' 0"

Oh yes! Line caught Tuna is wonderful! I've been buying Atlantic Salmon fresh lately and that is so satisfying for lunch or dinner. Really seems to stick with me.
JeanniesPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

Jeannie, you are so going to rock this! I added fish to my diet so late (and it's really all I eat now) but it is just so awesome, not just from a weightloss perspective but from a health one as well. I eat mostly canned sockeye but fresh salmon is the way to go if you have the time.

In summary, salmon gives you lots of protein (keeps you full, helps muscle development if - like me -- you work out), is low in calories, has abundant omega 3s (healthy fats) and a great mix of vitamins and minerals. I simply cannot think of a better food.

(Although if you want to trim the calories even more try sardines!)

Last edited by IanG; 05-16-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #11  

Ian, TBH, I really don't know whether the supplements actually help with hunger or not. I usually get hungry around 11-12 noon after a breakfast at around 7 or 8am so some days, I eat lunch at 11 and other days, at a later time. I do try taking Omega-3 most days but forget occasionally.

Like you, I take Omega-3 (and a general vitamin supplement) not so much for diet but for my skin. I find that it helps. Water also helps with the skin (hydration etc).

I also love salmon (absolutely adore it actually) but I am wary of radiation levels after the Fukushima although I believe no one is exactly certain yet how big an effect it has on the overall fish population in the world.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #12  
Trying to be in the 160s

Thanks magical. I think if breakfast is getting you through to lunch then you are good. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

Like you, I sometimes have an early lunch at 11.30am. But no big deal.

I am glad the omega-3 and the vitamins are working for you (healthwise). I also take omega 3 supplements and vitamins as well.

On Fukushima, I am taking my chances. I am putting my faith in not being 281lbs is less health risky than the potential threat of Fukushima. Let's see if I am right! Watch this space...

Last edited by IanG; 05-16-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #13  
Melissa

Satiating versus holding me longer... I don't feel any more full with or without fatty foods when I'm eating. I am NOT one of those people who will say, "That's too rich", but... it's all about how long it holds me. I need something that will hold 4-5 hours and enough fat does that for me.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

Apologies for hijacking your thread earlier, berryblondeboys.

Holding 4-5 hours is not great though. 5-6 or even 7 would be better (i.e. breakfast to lunch). Have you tried more protein as well? Even complex carbs, like oats?

Last edited by IanG; 05-16-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #15  
Melissa

I cannot do complex carbs either. I've tested these things with my blood sure and all carbs (except potatoes, go figure) spike my insulin which then leads to the whole sugar high, sugar low phenomenon.

My food break down is 40% fat, 30% carbs, 30% protein - approximately. The big issue is that I'm not a big meat eater and I can't handle much dairy. It took me until I was 24 to even start to like fish and I'm extremely picky about how it is prepared to eat it.

I tried 2 years ago to up my proteins and it's too hard for me to do it without liking cottage cheese, yogurts and most meats. I eat a lot of nuts and nut butters, olive oil and avocados.

And why does breakfast need to hold me for 6-7 hours if my schedule doesn't dictate that I need to wait that long between breakfast and lunch? I have that half and half (which is half cream and half whole milk for the person who asked) with decaf coffee at 7:30 am and then a decent size lunch at Noon and dinner around 6:30 pm. I don't eat anything after dinner, ever.