Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/261/135

Height: 5'2"

Default New to Atkins

Today is day 5 of the Atkins plan for my husband and I. I finally got trough the "Atkins flu". The first three days were the worst. I had headaches and was run down all the time but yesterday (day4) all that seemed to be gone. I am still struggling with things to cook for dinner, I feel like everything is so plain with no sauces, dips, and marinades. My cravings are down a lot......don't get me wrong, I can't buy sweets for my kids because the temptation would be to much but I am no longer constantly thinking of brownies and cake all day long.

So far I have lost 5 pounds and my husband has lost 8 pounds. I have never been able to stick with any other plan before so I hope that I can make this change stick. I feel great today and I plan on starting an exercise plan tonight. I have been reading posts on here and it has been a big help to here what everyone else as to say.
angiemo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Welcome!!! If you like spicy,a god send for me is franks buffalo sauce, it has zero carbs. It is good alone or mixed in with a little ranch. For cooking i use a lot of spices, for chicken, fish, steaks etc rub it on with a little butter or oil. for ground beef etc put it in when you throw the meat in the skillet. You can find sugar free or low sugar barbecue sauces and ketchups online or sometimes in your local chain market. if you are limiting your artificial sweeteners be mindful of how much of those you use.

good luck!!!
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Also! Guacamole is good to put on things, 1 serving is usually around 3 net carbs.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Congrats on you and yours progress. Rocking!
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Have a look at Linda's Low Carb recipes. There are tons of delicious recipes there and the ones marked with an * are Induction friendly

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

You CAN do this!!

All the best to you!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Angie - congrats on your weight loss so far!!
I have to say for me, Atkins is the only diet I can really stick with - it's so many options much more than many others.

I use salsa as well - great topper/dip--- the one I buy has 2 carbs and no added sugar, just check the labels well.

Also A1 has 1 carb for 1 tbsp.
In the Atkins book there are a lot of reciepes for sauces, etc that you can use

Those reciepes linked above are great, I've found some aswesome things, including some sweets you can have in phase 1 if you want them. As a former sweet and bread head, I've left them alone for now because I don't wanna risk sparking some cravings

When I go to my local club store I buy 4 rotiserre chickens - they are a great price and so yummy - I bring home and pull all the meat off and bag in 3 oz portions. It's great to grab for a salad.

We've been making a little skillet creation with it I love --- 3 oz of chicken, sauteed in the skilet with mushrooms, once tender push to a center pile in pan add olives, cheese and a pinch of bacon bits - cover until cheese melts and put on a little salsa - it is fabulous!

Check ranch well - one i picked had 3 carbs per 2 tbsp and the one I'm using now is just 1 carb per 2tbsp.
Ali06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali06 View Post
Also A1 has 1 carb for 1 tbsp.
Although the carbs may be low, the ingredients in A1 are not Atkins friendly. A1 contains corn syrup, raisin paste & orange puree.
Be sure to read labels to ensure you are sticking to Atkins friendly ingredients
Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Jersey - thanks for the tip --- I haven't used it yet, but found it in an Atkins forum as a "great way to add flavor" (not on this site).

Thanks for the correction!!!! It will remain on my no-no list lol
Ali06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/261/135

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is the beginning of day 8 and I did have an Atkins mudslide bar last night. I was very skeptical about them and thought they would make me start craving sweets again but they actually didn't. In the last 7 days I am down 9 pounds and feel so much better. I still have not started exercising yet but I know I need to. Thanks for all the great ideas, I will check the out!
angiemo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #10  
It is what it is...

Hi Angie - I'm new to it too ...probably been doing it for about 2 and a half months now...I don't cook so I was having a hard time coming up with things but my husband is a great cook so he has been coming up with wonderful ideas...tonight we are having braised beef short ribs and pureed cauliflower ( with cream cheese, chives, butter, etc ) - it's so good...we also have chicken wings alot, but we get them plain so we can add our own sauce ( Franks ) , sometimes the sauce at places has some sugar or unwanted ingredients...we eat chicken breast, and make some type of cream and mushroom sauce to go over ...we do eat a lot of low carb veggies...and like someone else said Linda's Low carb site is great, I get a lot of ideas from her...good luck and great job on the loss ...stick to it, it's worth it
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiemo3 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. This is the beginning of day 8 and I did have an Atkins mudslide bar last night. I was very skeptical about them and thought they would make me start craving sweets again but they actually didn't. In the last 7 days I am down 9 pounds and feel so much better. I still have not started exercising yet but I know I need to. Thanks for all the great ideas, I will check the out!
Since you are new to Atkins, you may want to read the following article regarding those Atkins bars. I know Atkins Nutritionals markets them as "appropriate for all phases"....but....that isn't necessarily true. A lot of people on Atkins stall when they eat them so, my best advice is....beware!
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

Old 05-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I'm going to hitch a ride on this thread. I attempted to do induction before but didn't make it. For the past month, I have been doing "low carb" so I think now it might be less of a shock to my system to try induction again. I do have a question. In my book, the list of protein foods says "free foods." Does this mean unlimited? I understand that a person could get rediculous with "unlimited," but I don't see anywhere that it says how many ounces or grams per day.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I'm going to hitch a ride on this thread. I attempted to do induction before but didn't make it. For the past month, I have been doing "low carb" so I think now it might be less of a shock to my system to try induction again. I do have a question. In my book, the list of protein foods says "free foods." Does this mean unlimited? I understand that a person could get rediculous with "unlimited," but I don't see anywhere that it says how many ounces or grams per day.
May I ask which book you are reading?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
May I ask which book you are reading?

It's Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #15  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I follow Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 edition. In the list of protein foods, it say to "eat liberally". I agree with you, a person could get ridiculous with this. I have read on other websites, that Atkins advises 130-160 grams of protein. While most people believe Atkins to be a high protein diet, it is actually a moderate protein, high fat plan. The main emphasis during Induction is to shoot for 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day to be coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list.
I hope this helps