Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat May 5 - May 11

BillBlueEyes
05-05-2014, 06:30 AM
The warblers are finally arriving. Either the southerly winds picked up or they just got tired of waiting it out where they were, LOL. Hoping to get out one early morning this week to check them out.

I'm in recovery mode from a head cold. My nurse friend tells me that the current version is a long lasting one - folks are taking a month to come out of it. This gives me an opportunity to learn PATIENCE, which has been slow at entering into my way of thinking.

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone.

Mudpie
05-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Good Morning! We are finally going to get some :sunny: weather this week. DH and I participated in our club's clean up yesterday and it was nice to be outside.

DH is going to finally quit his job today. This has been coming for a long time. It's not good for us economically - he's going to have to be self-employed until retirement - but I think the health benefits outweigh that. Better to have him working sometimes than have him keel over from any of the problems associated with overweight, stress, etc. He will have 6 weeks to get himself back into some kind of reasonable shape.

I am finishing with these pets tomorrow. This is my last sit with them - too hard due to the way things are set up. I will miss the cat - he's a sweetie.

Then home for 2 days and then out to do a really long sit with pets I like at a house that's functional.

Good week all!

Dagmar :beach:

ICUwishing
05-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Bill - crush that cold! :club:

Dagmar - sounds like you have a plateful. Will send you wishes for a step-down on the stress! :hug:

Another goofy week with DH gone Mon-Fri again (hoping these are the last two weeks), DS14 has show choir practice from 6-9:30 on Mon/Tues/Wed this week while they get ready for their final concerts this Fri and Sat nite, and my swim team practice times are changing to the summer schedule. Juggle, juggle, juggle!

traveling michele
05-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Dagmar-- what is the six week window for dh? I thought he had quit his job before? Regardless, good luck to all of you. It sounds stressful!

My yoga friend and I went to a new yoga studio on Saturday and then to sushi. It was fun! She picked me up so she got to meet the crew and loved everyone. Of course, they put on quite a show for a new friend!

Happy Monday everyone. I feel like I had much more to say but perhaps my coffee isn't kicking in yet....

bargoo
05-05-2014, 11:50 AM
The California horse won the Kentucky Derby California Chrome from Yuba City was the wimmer' Yuba City is about 50 miles from where I live.

alinnell
05-05-2014, 12:11 PM
DH and I watched the Kentucky Derby before heading out to a jazz concert Saturday. The concert was wonderful but the people who planned it did a horrible job. There were about 2000 people in attendance and they had just two bartenders (and bartenders did ALL drinks from water to soda to wine to beer to mixed drinks). DH and my friend's husband missed the entire second act (one hour) standing in line for drinks. They still heard the music but didn't see the stage. The two fast food type restaurants that opened had long lines but were pretty quick in getting people moved through. Obviously they were accustomed to such crowds. The disc jockey for the local jazz station who promoted the concert actually took his Facebook page down yesterday--probably due to all the bad comments people placed on it.

It was a hot weekend! 102 Friday and Saturday and maybe 98 on Sunday. We golfed both days and the heat really wore us out. I didn't golf well at all but I'm blaming that on taking the previous weekend off. DH had one of his best rounds ever on Saturday.

BillBlueEyes
05-05-2014, 12:14 PM
The California horse won the Kentucky Derby California Chrome from Yuba City was the winner

Yuba City is about 50 miles from where I live.bargoo - hope that means you're rich!

paperclippy
05-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Hello all! I have been reading if not commenting. Work was a giant pile of crazy the past couple weeks, but it has finally settled down. My baby girls turned one year old! Hard to believe but it's true. C finally has her first tooth, so A will probably not be far behind. I think C is going to start walking very soon. She can take a few steps with just holding one of my hands, and can stand without holding on for maybe 30 seconds. A might have waved and clapped this morning but I'm not entirely sure since we couldn't get a repeat performance. They are having their developmental screening from First Steps this afternoon.

We are starting the weaning process and they had their first drink of cow milk in their cups at lunchtime yesterday. I am glad that my girls are adventurous eaters so far and pretty much eat whatever I put in front of them, including not being thrown off by cow milk (they made a surprised face at the first sip, but then drank it up no problem). I'm down to pumping 4x/day and planning to drop gradually to 2x/day once they get their other daytime bottle switched out for a cup.

Probably in another couple months, when they are 1 year adjusted age, we will have them off bottles entirely and they will also be off breast milk, and my weight loss journey will begin again. I've had multiple people ask me if I'm pregnant again lately. :mad: No, it's just fat, it's the same fat I had three months ago and you weren't asking if I was pregnant then! Sigh.

alinnell
05-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Jessica~I keep thinking back on my kids' milestones and I don't remember many of them. But I do remember my DD taking her first steps on Christmas day 1991. She was almost 13 months old (4 days shy of 13 months). I seem to remember my son walking earlier but I really don't remember his age at the time.

CalCounter1003
05-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Jessica, well, I think it is rude for people to ask you if you are pregnant! Who hasn't learned you never ask that? The most important thing is what you are doing for your girls - and breastfeeding twins is amazing! Especially while working -- I'm so impressed! Of course, you want to get back to your goal one day, but this is the time in your life when you are putting your kids first! You will get there. PS My DS walked at 1 and 5 days. DD was 8.5 months but she had an older brother to chase down. My DD skipped crawling. That's another reason why I freaked out about her reading "late"... I had heard if you don't crawl you can't read. Just a silly myth because she did read and reads nonstop!

Becky - When I look back at when my two kids were home and all that we did, I honestly don't know HOW we did it all! Juggling is right! As much as I love it when they are home, DH and I really love the time at home alone as well! Although it's not like I am taking it that easy now either! I get up at 4:30 to exercise and go until pretty late each night!

Dagmar - glad you got some good weather finally! You amaze me with dog walking in that cold! Glad DH is quitting if it has been due! You may have to make him walk with you to get in shape! ;)

Michele, sounds fun! I don't do yoga, but I may have to start one of these days! Everyone who does it seems to love it. The thing is I am so happy just doing my walks at home, that it seems silly to spend money on something.

Bill -- glad your warblers are back! :) And speaking of colds, the worst is a summer cold in FL. It seems like it never leaves!

I have had 4 people at work (2 teachers and 2 staff people) tell me I shouldn't lose anymore weight. IDK, I just would never tell someone that. I might say "you look great!" but I don't feel it is my place to offer my opinion on another person's weight. Someone at church also said it this weekend but not in a bossy way, just in a "you look great you are going to blow away if you lose more". I always reply - I am not losing more, I'm just maintaining. I actually am down to 143 (7 under goal) but that is really not that unreasonable for a person 5'7". I can fit in 8s which is the lowest I have ever been but also some 10s. I think the reason they may be saying it is because I am just wearing the 10s and only have 1 pair of 8 pants. My dresses are too big... but I only wear a dress 1x2 times a week! I can't replace my whole wardrobe at once! Anyway, I sound as though I am complaining, and I don't mean to be. I am so thankful to be at this weight and I guess I should just smile and say what I have been.

Found out the online class I was scheduled to teach (starting today which means I had everything already set up) was cancelled due to low enrollment. That puts a dent in the budget! Yikes. I still teach 1 night a week at the local college and there are just two weeks left of that. The good news is I have worked on my app quite a bit during my spring break and the past week so it is ready except for the graphics. I have someone working on it but I think I am going to have to hire a professional. It is a teacher friend and she just hasn't had time to finish and plus she is just drawing it and then I have to get it in photoshop, which is not my area of expertise. So since I finished the first app, I started a second one that won't require very fancy art work. Although from what I have read the icon is very important in the App world. So... I am hoping that my free apps generate enough ad revenue to replace that one class I lost today.

Again, not complaining ... just saying. :D

neurodoc
05-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Dagmar, I don't think I understood your post very well. What is DH's occupation, and why will he have 6 weeks to "get himself back into some kind of reasonable shape"?

Bill, do you get any hummingbirds in your yard? If so, when do they return? I have set out a hummingbird feeder this year and am wondering how long I have to wait.

canadjineh
05-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Ahhhh, bird talk... We are enjoying the birdlife at home here too. There is a pair of Redtail Hawks that have a fave perching post (well, 2, cause there's two of them) on my drive into town. They never fail to lift my spirits when I see them. Tons of Redwing and Brewer's Blackbirds in the trees & reeds by the pond out back. Sometimes it is so noisy because of them & the frogs, we laugh as we sit by our yard campfire. Lots of the usual Mallards and Magpies, too. My favorites are the lovely Western Tanagers, Pileated Woodpeckers and Flickers. My friend has quite a few Ruby throated hummers coming to her feeders - I don't feed any birds as there are a lot of wild plants near my place and bugs too (we are rural, obviously). I certainly enjoy listening and watching them all, though. We always keep an eye out for the first returning robin of the year.

Sometimes a Blue Heron or an Osprey or Bald Eagle will fly over, but they aren't based by our house. They are generally closer to the big lake that our town sits on. There is an Osprey nest right along the Trans Canada Highway next to the A&W that had to be rescued by firemen one year. The birds had added a stick in a dangerous position and a fire was started since it was built on a power pole. The city had a special platform on a pole built and installed next to the power pole and moved the rescued nest. The ospreys had no problem with that and moved right over. They are a 'tourist attraction,' as visitors drive down the highway into town, they check out the latest goings on in the nest. :lol:

Liana

BillBlueEyes
05-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Oh, Andrea, we've never had a hummingbird in our yard. And that's not for want of trying. We've done all the gizmos, all the bright reds, all the nectar's - we simply don't appeal to the little guys.

Same goes for Baltimore Orioles: Orange slices, fruits, whatever the books recommended. We weren't found to be attractive to Orioles.

Now I'm jealous of Liana's: Brewer's Blackbirds, Western Tanagers, and Magpies. The range maps suggest that, rather than invest in more specialized foods, I need to take a trip to Western Canada, LOL.

Mudpie
05-06-2014, 06:51 AM
DH didn't quit his job. This is too complicated to explain here but basically DH is using his job stress to avoid doing anything to lose weight or exercise. He is obese and he has a hernia that keeps getting worse - we can see it poking out of his belly. TMI.

I am exasperated that the whining and sulking about how hard he has it has continued for another year of our lives. I want him to get off his big fat ^ss and start making changes.

Dagmar :rollpin:

ICUwishing
05-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Dagmar, as much as it's a drag to admit it, I completely understand DH's mindset. It's a rough hole to have to climb from. It's a lot easier to blame a whole set of outside circumstances or people for the situation than it is to grab on and own it and change it. But the worst days of self-directed fails and missteps are still better than the best days of victimhood. Action IS the antidote for despair.

Calcounter, 143 seems perfectly reasonable to me and it sounds like we're around the same frame size, as I'm in 10's and kissing the 12's here (:eek:). I'm with you, thinking it's highly inappropriate to comment on anyone's weight. I guess I'm a little antisocial, because I really don't care to hear unsolicited opinions and have been known to respond without filtering it. ;)

traveling michele
05-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Cal Counter-- when I first lost my weight, I got a lot of those comments too. People just aren't used to the "new you". The comments stopped for me-- except from my elderly male relatives-- my uncle and my FIL-- they still ask if I'm eating, if I'm healthy, etc. No one says the same thing if you gain weight-- boy-- you really shouldn't gain anymore!

It's just as rude as asking Jessica if she's pregnant! People's rudeness blows me away sometimes.

By the way, I do bikram yoga which is a whole different ball of wax from yoga. It's in a HOT and HUMID room for 90 plus minutes. Totally worth trying out if you have a studio near you. Most will offer a cheap new student special. I tried it three years ago and I'm HOOKED!

JayEll
05-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Cal Counter, I think there's another thing going on, which is that when someone loses weight by dieting, their face and hands and arms can sometimes look kind of gaunt, even though they aren't at an unhealthy weight. This happened to me--people wondered if I was sick! I had a friend who said that "don't lose any more weight" thing to me--someone who is kind of eating disordered herself! I do think it's a rude thing to say, but people start to worry.

And thank goodness that no one says the same thing when you're on your way up again... At least not to your face.

Arctic Mama
05-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Jay, I've seen that gauntness and know enough poor folks who've had cancer instead of diet as their reason for losing weight that unless they seem to exhibit that bounce and good cheer associated with health improvements I keep my mouth shut.

I'm still lurking here and checking in, though I've been busy and in and out of town for the last week. But I am excited to announce we're expecting baby #5 sometime in January 2015! It's a good thing I'm in my goal range overall and content with that, because it isn't changing anytime soon ;)

ICUwishing
05-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Congratulations to you and your family, Taryl!

traveling michele
05-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Great news Taryl! Hope you're feeling well!!

paperclippy
05-06-2014, 01:39 PM
I have a confession to make . . . I'm kind of scared of losing back down to my goal weight. I'm scared of starting to diet again because I've gotten comfortable with eating the very large quantity of food that I need to produce enough milk for two babies. I'm scared of having to limit myself instead of indulging, because I've gotten used to indulging again. I'm also scared that I'm going to get down to my goal weight again and instead of being happy with my body, I'm going to just have a big bag of loose skin on my belly and I won't fit into any of my clothes because of it. I've always had an hourglass figure and my wardrobe pretty much accentuates my small waist, but right now I have an enormous waist and I'm afraid the extra skin will make it so that even if I lose the fat I will no longer be an hourglass. I'm also afraid that my boobs will either not go back down to their normal size once breastfeeding is done or that they'll get super saggy and deflated. Right now I'm really uncomfortable most of the time because there is only one brand of nice nursing bra that comes big enough for my breastfeeding-inflated size, and it's not a great fit. I really want to fit into my old bras, but I'm nervous I won't be able to and the old bras may not come big enough for my current size. Also right now a lot of my old shirts won't fit over my chest (aside from the fact that I have enough belly fat that my fat belly sticks out the bottom of them). I really love some of those shirts! Anyway, sorry for the rambling. On to replies...

Congrats Taryl! Remind me the ages of your other kids? Now that I've had to take care of my twins for a year I'm always in awe of other people who manage to somehow take care of more than two kids. :lol: One of my coworkers has eight! :fr:

Developmental evaluation for my girls went fine. They are right on track for their adjusted age. Yesterday morning they started waving hello, and have repeated it multiple times yesterday and today, so that is a big step forward! I told DH that he has to make sure they don't take their first steps until I'm home in the evening though. :lol:

Re: people commenting on weight/asking if you're pregnant -- Yeah, somehow there are always people who haven't seemed to have gotten the word that it's not okay to ask someone if they're pregnant. To be honest I don't mind quite as much right now because I know that I look pregnant, because all of my baby weight is right in my tummy and it is disproportionately large. It bothered me more the time someone asked if I was pregnant when I was only a couple pounds above my goal weight! I guess it is the most bothersome when it comes from people who should know better though, like when one of the other twin moms in my twins club asked. Like, dude, you have twins. Clearly you know the toll it takes on your body! How could you ask me if I'm pregnant when you know my girls are barely a year old?? :rolleyes:

Dagmar, I hope your DH sorts out his work situation. I feel like I have said that to you many times over the past few years though, and like it never goes anywhere.

Cal Counter, I have also seen the gauntness Jay is talking about. Not sure if you have it or not, but it may be something that a change of hair or makeup could lessen a little bit. (If you have styleable hair or wear makeup, anyway -- my hair is super short and I don't wear makeup so I'm kind of giving spurious advice here.) But yeah, wearing clothes that are too big for you may make you look smaller than you actually are, or there may be something about the cut of the clothes that are doing it.

traveling michele
05-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Jessica-- I understand your nervousness about losing weight and your changing body. My advice would be to take it slow and let the weight come off slowly. Your body will adjust over time. My "girls" are much smaller than when I was nursing-- they pretty much went back to normal. They are even smaller now but that is because I lost more weight after my kids.

I'm trying to avoid more food land mines this week. It is staff appreciation week at my school and we are getting super appreciated!! Each day is something. Today is "Soup-er day" (they have a super hero theme). I thought it would be a few soups but they are setting up and there is food everywhere! Probably 20 crockpots minimum, salads, rolls, desserts.... I think I will grab my salad out of the fridge and sneak eat in the library. I just can't afford to splurge right now. I know another day is "snack day", another day is "decadent desserts" and another is some sort of lunch. I appreciate all of their hard work and know my colleagues will take full advantage!

Arctic Mama
05-06-2014, 07:53 PM
That's great news that the kiddos are on track developmentally! And I hear you on postpartum clothing issues - for me I have to work out fairly diligently to fit into my prepregnancy clothes without belly flab. It isn't even first, but soft skin that gives me muffin top if ANYTHING presses into it. More and more things like skirts are much more flattering to me, not because I don't have a decent figure but because they cinch above my mommy tummy at my waist, not hitting closer to my belly button.

My oldest turned 7 in April, so we have 7 dd, 5 dd, 3 ds, and 1 dd. The first three were spaced in such a way that my oldest was three when my son was born, so I had three kids in three years for a little while there!

Arctic Mama
05-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Michele - I hear you on food bombs. That's the way it is at my church - tons of delicious baking and snack foods that aren't on my plan, always available and frequently being pushed by well meaning folks. Ugh!

CalCounter1003
05-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Jessica - glad the developmental checkup was right on! I know it seems impossible now, but you will get back to your pre-pregnancy weight. It will just take time! I didn't have twins but did have a 10 pound baby who nursed a year and at 1 she weighed 30 pounds! So you can imagine I was huge and had the same bra problem. After her first birthday I did get serious for about 6 months and lost a lot of it but never was dedicated enough to get down to pre-pregnancy weight until now - 21 years later! But whatever I lost back then, did put my parts back into place and I was able to go back to my former bra size. I think the belly did sag for years but I didn't exercise. Like Michele said, I too am lower than pre-pregnancy, so the "girls" are much smaller than ever.

Taryl, Congratulations! It's great to start the pregnancy at a low weight!

Michele - when you teach in a HS, teacher appreciation week is basically one email from the superintendent ... "thanks for all you do". Years ago I taught in a PK-12 school and I remember being shocked at all the food and gifts. Also, the end of the year presents! At a HS, the parents are so glad to be almost done, that there is no recognition other than "why doesn't my child have an A?" :)

Maybe I do look gaunt, but I don't feel like I do. I have always had fat cheeks and they aren't as fat now. And at 52, the neck starts to show some lines I think have to just go with the flow and just assume people are worried about me. I don't know, I feel great and am trying to focus on how great I feel and not on little things like neck lines and jiggly arms! BTW, when I was at the dermatologist a few weeks ago, waiting impatiently in the exam room, there was a poster on the wall about adding fat to your cheeks. According to the poster, as we age we lose fat (or whatever they called it) in our cheeks so we can add it back in with whatever they were trying to sell. I got so angry reading that! First of all I've spent my whole life with fat cheeks, and now someone is trying to tell me that fat cheeks are good and I might be losing it, so pay to get it back! ugh!

And, yes, thank goodness no one comments when we are gaining!

traveling michele
05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
I forgot to congratulate Jessica on the babies being right on track! I'm sure that was a worry for you!

I succumbed slightly to the food pressure yesterday but having a cup of chicken tortilla soup. It was pretty yummy and the scale was only up a smidge today. I posted a photo on FB of a card a student wrote me. So sweet but a tad awkward! It said "Thank you for all you do to me". Ha Ha! We'll see what the food pushers have on tap today.

krampus
05-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Hello Maintainers:

I'm back at work after 2 weeks in Utah. My organization completed a grant application for a $330K grant in its ENTIRETY while I was away - I feel bad about missing out on contributing to the efforts but it was a very last minute grant, and I'm not sorry at all I went on vacation!

BF and I hiked a LOT and I lost about 5 pounds. Weighed in at 116.4 this morning which is the lowest I've ever been, and I can tell I've gained a little since my lowest (wasn't weighing, but my clothes were falling off). A few pictures from the trip:

Canyonlands Needles (https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10275928_10100174523874635_4539909298887064356_n.j pg)

Valley of the Goblins (https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/10153834_10100176421501775_7775264251264836048_n.j pg)

Capitol Reef, Lower Spring Canyon (https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/10258578_10100176424425915_3380961424013566811_n.j pg)

Bryce Canyon (https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t31.0-8/10265481_10100176424635495_6770813797251592110_o.j pg)

Zion National Park, West Rim Trail (https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t31.0-8/10257577_10100176474281005_2644065137957816902_o.j pg)

Catching up on everyone's news now. Sending support and love to all - NY turned into a springtime wonderland while we were away!

Arctic Mama
05-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Beautiful pictures - what a fun vacation you must have had, and the low weight is a bonus ;)

I've been to several of those spots but I was a child, it's one of those things better appreciTed by adults, I think.

BillBlueEyes
05-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Terrific photographs, krampus - all of those places are on my Bucket List. Gotta get cranking.

Five pounds down is one whole lot of hiking - sounds like a dream trip.

Mudpie
05-07-2014, 04:10 PM
krampus Awesome pics! What a gorgeous place. And is that you in the centre of the first pic? :bravo: on the 5 lbs. lost!

Dagmar :cool:

alinnell
05-07-2014, 04:14 PM
I have a friend that lives in Moab and she and her husband are in Goblin Valley right now! I've been to Bryce but not the other places. Seems weird as I'm from Utah (but up north). It is beautiful down there. Lots of great hiking!

krampus
05-07-2014, 05:15 PM
That is me!

It was a very inexpensive vacation once we got there - camping at state parks for $20/night, CRAPPY rental car (Fiat 500) that died a bunch of times (battery held charge for < 20 minutes, so forget things like packing bags with the trunk open) but got 40 mpg, we brought most of our food and didn't eat at restaurants much. I budgeted way more than I spent, which is always a good feeling. Winning $200 on a $3 bet in Vegas was a nice ending, too :)

saef
05-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Krampus, that looks extraordinary -- mind-blowing -- like another planet entirely from what's happening here in the Northeast.

In my lifetime I've gone from a kid who loved to camp in tents and then in a travel trailer with her parents in the Adirondacks and Thousand Islands -- to an adult female with an elaborate grooming ritual who feels put out if the hotel has lousy Wi-Fi, or old creaky cardio machines, and the bathroom amenities include a combo shampoo-conditioner, instead of separate bottles of shampoo and conditioner. Like, why can't I let myself take a cheap but really glorious vacation like you just did?

And this is where your fitness pays off. You can hike in these places & it isn't an ordeal.

CalCounter1003
05-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Krampus, wow! Love the pictures, especially Bryce picture. So beautiful! I was there once but I was very out of shape and didn't hike. Amazing on your weight too. You are inspiring me to hike! But in Florida it's so hot...excuses, excuses.

Mudpie
05-08-2014, 06:57 AM
. . . anyone have a "dream" vacation they'd like to take? I have so many it would be hard to choose one but if I won a trip on where I could do anything I'd fly to Africa first class round trip and take a specially tailored safari through Kenya and Tanzania during the great migrations.

Dagmar :dizzy:

CalCounter1003
05-08-2014, 07:16 AM
. . . anyone have a "dream" vacation they'd like to take? I have so many it would be hard to choose one but if I won a trip on where I could do anything I'd fly to Africa first class round trip and take a specially tailored safari through Kenya and Tanzania during the great migrations.

Great question! For me it would be all over Europe. I have seen several countries but want to explore the cities in Italy, Germany, Netherlands and anywhere!

BillBlueEyes
05-08-2014, 07:47 AM
Do the safari through Tanzania - we did that and it blew my mind.

My current dream is India - so big with such contrasts.

traveling michele
05-08-2014, 11:13 AM

I joke with dh that I have to be careful about how I word where I want to go. I used to always say I wanted to go to Africa. Then we moved there so my joke was I have to say specifically where I want to VISIT or I might end up living there!
Currently, I'd love to VISIT Australia. Also on the list are Costa Rica, Israel, Italy (been to Italy once but am dying to go back), Dubai, and back to Africa to revisit and see more!

traveling michele
05-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Krampus, that looks extraordinary -- mind-blowing -- like another planet entirely from what's happening here in the Northeast.

In my lifetime I've gone from a kid who loved to camp in tents and then in a travel trailer with her parents in the Adirondacks and Thousand Islands -- to an adult female with an elaborate grooming ritual who feels put out if the hotel has lousy Wi-Fi, or old creaky cardio machines, and the bathroom amenities include a combo shampoo-conditioner, instead of separate bottles of shampoo and conditioner. Like, why can't I let myself take a cheap but really glorious vacation like you just did?

And this is where your fitness pays off. You can hike in these places & it isn't an ordeal.

Had to laugh at this Saef!:o
You have no idea how put out I was on our recent cruise when the shampoo was a combo one. That does not work at all on my hair-- lots of curly "Jew" hair combined with heat, humidity, wind, sand and ocean water. I bought the one small bottle of conditioner they sold on board and discovered that the spa had conditioner so I took a few showers there. I won't make that mistake again!

paperclippy
05-08-2014, 11:18 AM
I feel like I have already taken a "dream" vacation (I traveled all over Asia for a month), so even if I never went anywhere again, I still feel like I've managed to do some exploring. That said, my two random destinations I really want to go to someday are Peru and Mongolia.

ICUwishing
05-08-2014, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=Mudpie;5000194]. . . anyone have a "dream" vacation they'd like to take? I have so many it would be hard to choose one but if I won a trip on where I could do anything I'd fly to Africa first class round trip and take a specially tailored safari through Kenya and Tanzania during the great migrations.QUOTE]

Lebanon! The Galapagos Islands run a very close second, along with the Amazon basin. I dig wildlife. :D

Krampus, thanks for getting us to dream a little!

alinnell
05-08-2014, 12:14 PM
The world is too big to pinpoint one destination as my dream vacation. I've traveled a bit and hope to do more. At this point I think I'd like to go to the British Isles next.

krampus
05-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I want to go EVERYWHERE.

BF's fantasy is Tajikistan and Mongolia and the steppes of Central Asia. I am more interested in thick deciduous forests than steppes and deserts - something like getting lost in the oldest part of the Black Forest, Transylvania, Slovenia, etc.

traveling michele
05-08-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm looking for an easy to make casserole dish that I can make the night before. Does such a thing exist? I can cook it the next day or reheat it but I won't have time in the morning to prepare it. I'll be bringing it to school for a potluck next week. I've been looking online at recipes but I have no idea if they can be made ahead of time. I'm not the best cook-- LOL!

alinnell
05-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Potluck lunch casserole? Let me look for you...

alinnell
05-08-2014, 04:00 PM
http://ericasrecipes.com/2014/03/chicken-divan-2/

http://lisasdinnertimedish.com/?p=6123

I found these two, but really, just about ANY casserole can be made the day before, refrigerated and baked the next morning. You may need to bake it a bit longer than usual due to it being cold, though.

You might also consider something in the crock pot.

traveling michele
05-08-2014, 06:40 PM
http://ericasrecipes.com/2014/03/chicken-divan-2/

http://lisasdinnertimedish.com/?p=6123

I found these two, but really, just about ANY casserole can be made the day before, refrigerated and baked the next morning. You may need to bake it a bit longer than usual due to it being cold, though.

You might also consider something in the crock pot.

Thanks! Those look yummy! That was what I needed to know-- If I could make them ahead of time. :hug:

canadjineh
05-08-2014, 06:50 PM
bump, just so I can keep track of this thread, lol.

alinnell
05-09-2014, 12:51 PM
We might as well just go home today. Two guys had asked for the day off. Two more called in sick. And just now the one lead guy who fell and hurt his back at home a few weeks ago just came in to say he's headed to the chiropractor as he's in so much pain he can't work. That leaves us with just three guys. Can't get a lot done with just three.

Shannon in ATL
05-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Sounds like a vacation day to me, Allison.

Arctic Mama
05-09-2014, 01:40 PM
We might as well just go home today. Two guys had asked for the day off. Two more called in sick. And just now the one lead guy who fell and hurt his back at home a few weeks ago just came in to say he's headed to the chiropractor as he's in so much pain he can't work. That leaves us with just three guys. Can't get a lot done with just three.

Yeah,mid be calling it a day if there was nothing to keep everyone occupied with so few on hand.

alinnell
05-09-2014, 01:53 PM
I'd like to go home myself. Suddenly feeling light headed and kind of dizzy. And that is making my stomach feel woozy. I hope I'm not coming down with something since the kids are coming home this weekend AND my future son-in-law's father is coming for dinner tomorrow.

BillBlueEyes
05-09-2014, 03:42 PM
I'd like to go home myself. Suddenly feeling light headed and kind of dizzy. And that is making my stomach feel woozy. I hope I'm not coming down with something since the kids are coming home this weekend AND my future son-in-law's father is coming for dinner tomorrow.
I recently learned a new word for "my future son-in-law's father": mechuttan.

You can goolge the word and find many references. Here's one: http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question128012.html

In Yiddish and Hebrew, the word "Mechuttanim" serves the purpose for referring to one's child's in-laws. The word best translates in English as "the married-into" or the "relatives by marriage". A father would call his son's father-in-law his "mechuttan". The word "choten", from the same root, is used toward the beginning of the book of Exodus, referring to Yitro (Jethro) as the father-in-law of Moses. In Modern Hebrew, a person would refer to his father in law as "chami", and to his mother-in-law as "chamoti".
Hope your dinner goes well.

neurodoc
05-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Bill, are you Jewish, or a linguist?

alinnell
05-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks Bill! There's only one word, I'm thinking Yiddish, that I remember my Dad saying a lot. Machugana. It describes to a tee the kind of people he'd have to deal with on a full moon. I remember one year when I was in high school or college that I found a company selling packages of Machuganuts. I bought some for my Dad. He had quite a laugh.

I did end up going home yesterday. Spent three hours in bed. Not quite sleeping but keeping the dizziness at bay. I got up and started in on my normal late afternoon chores and the dizziness slowly went away and by bed time I felt back to normal. Very strange. Sad, though, as I missed my weekly lunch out with DH.

shr1nk1ngme
05-10-2014, 11:31 AM
So far, a sample of my "almost" maintenance diet looks like this:

Breakfast:
Two cups of coffee with cream
GG Scandinavian crispbread
Laughing Cow cheese wedge

Supplements
Psyllium husks drink (for fiber)

Lunch:
Great Low Carb Company low calorie bagel
1 1/2 tbsp Vegenaise
1 hard boiled egg
2 cups spinach salad
1 tangerine
herbal tea or stevia soda

Dinner:
Stir fry:
1 tsp sesame oil
Kelp noodles
1 1/2 cups broccoli
Garden chick'n scaloppini, diced
Better than Bouillon vegetable broth
Iced tea

Desserts:
Homemade chocolate/coconut/peanut butter cups, low carb
Other homemade desserts
Chocoperfection bar
Sugar-free jell-o

Snacks:
Nuts in-the-shell (the shells slow me down & force me to eat less)
Celery with organic peanut butter
GG's crispbread with Laughing Cow cheese wedge
1/2 cup of low carb granola with 1/2 cup almond milk
1 oz organic, free range cheese
Pat of Kerrygold butter (Yes, I eat this as a snack!)

I snack quite a lot but I always choose items from my healthy snack list and I try to go for the low cal ones since I am still trying to lose a few more pounds.

When I am in in actual maintenance, the changes will look like this:
More One Minute Muffins
More low-carb breakfast cereals
More Greek yogurt with fresh fruit
More legumes
More tofu dishes
More vegetarian hamburgers (on low-carb buns, of course)
Greater variety of vegetables
Occasional fruit

Also I will be preparing more low-carb family recipes:
Scalloped chayote squash
Spicy Indian cabbage
(Vegetarian) sausage stuffed eggplant
Creamed brussels sprouts
Amish turnip bake
Mashed cauliflower
Low-carb pizza (homemade,vegetarian, gluten-free)
Curried cauliflower patties
Etc.

I have a million recipes, I just have to cook them! ...And the family needs to get on board with helping me eat them or I'll eat it all myself.

neurodoc
05-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Shrinkingme, What on earth goes into "low carb granola"? For that matter, "low carb breakfast cereal"?

shr1nk1ngme
05-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Shrinkingme, What on earth goes into "low carb granola"? For that matter, "low carb breakfast cereal"?

My favorite is Sensato Nut & Flax granola. But there are many different low-carb cereals (all are a combination of vegetable fiber, grain bran, plant or whey protein, seeds, and nuts.) I shop for them online at Netrition.

The ingredients for Sensato Nut & Flax granola include:
Pecans
Vegetable fiber
Flax seed meal
Wheat bran
Soy protein isolate
Almonds
Oats
Sea Salt
Canola Oil
Baking soda
Low glycemic monosaccharides
Splenda

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1/2 cup(42g)

http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value* (http://www.netrition.com/rdi_page.html) http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Total Calories 166 http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Calories From Fat 110 http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Total Fat 12 g 19% http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Saturated Fat 1 g 5% http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Trans Fat 0 g 0% http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Cholesterol 0 mg 0% http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Sodium 125 mg 5% http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Potassium 296 mg 9% http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Total Carbohydrates 17 g 6% http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Dietary Fiber 15 g 59% http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
http://www.netrition.com/images/minus_box.gif (http://www.netrition.com/sensato_nut_flax_granola.html#)Net Carbs (http://www.netrition.com/sensato_nut_flax_granola.html#) 2 g

http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Protein 6 g 12% http://images.netrition.com/images/pixel.gif
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 1%
Calcium 4%
Iron 8%

shr1nk1ngme
05-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Thanks Bill! There's only one word, I'm thinking Yiddish, that I remember my Dad saying a lot. Machugana. It describes to a tee the kind of people he'd have to deal with on a full moon. I remember one year when I was in high school or college that I found a company selling packages of Machuganuts. I bought some for my Dad. He had quite a laugh.

I remember that word! We were not Jewish but I grew up in upstate New York where there is a large Jewish population. Many of my friends were Jewish and their moms would use that word, and our families all picked it up and started using it as well. My mom used to say it. lol I had forgotten it, it has been so many years. I love that there is a company making "Machuganuts". Hahaha

BillBlueEyes
05-11-2014, 06:05 AM
Bill, are you Jewish, or a linguist?Alas, neither. I worked for years with a guy who'd drop a Yiddish word into a conversation then explain it to us. He taught me shlemiel and shlimazel to my great joy. For those without a Yiddish speaking grandmother handy, this site will expand your vocabulary by 40 common Yiddish words: the-yiddish-handbook-40-words-you-should-know (http://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-yiddish-handbook-40-words-you-should-know/).

Mudpie
05-11-2014, 07:01 AM
Alas, neither. I worked for years with a guy who'd drop a Yiddish word into a conversation then explain it to us. He taught me shlemiel and shlimazel to my great joy. For those without a Yiddish speaking grandmother handy, this site will expand your vocabulary by 40 common Yiddish words: the-yiddish-handbook-40-words-you-should-know (http://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-yiddish-handbook-40-words-you-should-know/).

I knew surprisingly many of the 40 must-know words. I am not Jewish.

Dagmar :shrug:

alinnell
05-11-2014, 11:37 AM
I knew a lot of those, too! And I'm not Jewish either. The ones I know are the ones that have really become incorporated in the English language.

saef
05-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I knew 38 of the 40 essential Yiddish words, just as I ought to, given my friends, neighbors and coworkers and my living in NY. Actually, I feel badly for not getting a perfect score. The two that I didn't get, I've heard in conversation but have never seen written out before, and so apparently haven't understand them on the occasions when they've been used -- which has inspired a whole retrospective review of certain conversations.

But I think they're missing one. Where's "verklempt"? How come that didn't make it? That is a very useful word.

Mudpie
05-11-2014, 03:05 PM
I knew 38 of the 40 essential Yiddish words, just as I ought to, given my friends, neighbors and coworkers and my living in NY. Actually, I feel badly for not getting a perfect score. The two that I didn't get, I've heard in conversation but have never seen written out before, and so apparently haven't understand them on the occasions when they've been used -- which has inspired a whole retrospective review of certain conversations.

But I think they're missing one. Where's "verklempt"? How come that didn't make it? That is a very useful word.

I am so verklempt :cry: that I can't bring myself to post the definition.

http://judaism.about.com/od/glossary/g/Definition-Of-Verklempt-Yiddish-Word.htm

Dagmar :lol:

Arctic Mama
05-11-2014, 06:41 PM
I knew about half those words, but I'm young and have spent my life on the west coast, with a dearth of Jews in my daily sphere. There were a few, but none that lived in more traditionally Yiddish manner or speech, by and large.

CalCounter1003
05-11-2014, 11:14 PM
I knew about 30 of them but some of those I was able to figure out because I know a little German. I don't speak it very well but can understand it if spoken slowly. DH is fluent and has a lot of family there so after thirty years of hearing it and trying to learn it, it helped with Yiddish! Btw my favorite German word is bustenhalter which means bra. The younger people use a different word but the old ones still say that, at least in Bavaria. It's just so descriptive, cracks me up every time.

A great way to learn a language is the website or app Duolingo. I have been bad about practicing lately but in one year we are going for several weeks for our 30 year anniversary so I've got to start again.