PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default May 2014 PCOS Support Thread

The April thread is here.

Who's here in May?
How's your PCOS management going?
What are you working on this month?

Let's round up!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Who's here in May?

Me. Still Astrophe, rhymes with catastrophe.

Life right now is pretty zen -- eldercare has chilled out some and I'm grateful for this phase. I am hoping it lasts!

At home, got a lot of repairs done and dealing with cleaning out closets and things.

How's your PCOS management going?

For myself? Had my endoc appt, and reorganized the kitchen. I'm responding to treatment, slowly. Which is good. Now I'm trying to deal with my two problem areas -- food and exercise. I lack consistency there.

I just have not figured out how to make that happen with all the other things I do but I keep trying. To encourage myself, I bought new sneakers to replace the crappy worn out ones and I cleaned out the whole clothes closet. Everything in there is organized, and FITS. All the other stuff got the boot.

What are you working on this month?

Well, I'm taking PCOS Diva Jump Start class. I hope the menus give me something to work with because I am honestly stumped on food.

I started a recipe collection, and signed us back up for organic produce delivery every other week.

That's going to be my main area this month. How to deal with the FOOD. And deal with the budget to accommodating investing in this area more.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-01-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I kind of am!

I lost about 1 lb this past month of April. I think between the travel and not being careful with food, I've reached this plateau.

I know that for May, I need to be more careful. Obviously, I'm not at a point yet where I can slack off. This is the point where I really have to focus, because in the past, I let it slip and then I stop losing weight or it starts to creep up.

So, for MAY... focus on my food, hopefully get some labs, and I'll see what happens at the end of the month.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #4  

Hi Astrophe! It's nice to see you here again!

I'm glad things are calmer for you and I hope that gives you the energy/motivation to continue working on your PCOS and weight loss!

(As a side note, of course, I post on May 1 that I only lost 1 lbs and I'm now down 2 lbs... I'll tack it on at the end of the month with a bunch of other lbs too).
Old 05-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #5  
Comes with Warning Label

S/C/G: 17st3/15st2/14st

Height: 5ft 7

Hello, I am reporting in!

Lost about 6lb in April so im allright sofar going into May. Lost another 2lb this week so I am still positive. Seem to have regained my periods with a cycle of approx. 45 days.(yay) My excess hair doesn't seem to lessen with weightloss which is a shame, luckily I have a very lovely lady that waxes my bits and pieces and I can safely say that waxing my legs for the last 3-4 years has made my hairs significantly less on my legs..

Still waiting for my referral letter as well for fertility treatment... at least they cannot turn me away anymore for being too overweight..

xxx Sorrow.
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:58 AM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Thanks, Rana.

And hi Sorrow!

Things here chug along. I got produce today. Some wheat (bread) got into my diet this past week because I was in a bind on the road. Subway seemed the best of the lot, but I plan to avoid it this coming week.

I have been enjoying the JumpStart class at pcosdiva so far, but it's been prep work to date. Next week it really gets into it!

Wish me luck!

A.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Today (monday) I did a 15 min yoga workout on my ipad.

Go me! First gentle exercise in a long time.

A.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Heyy!!! I know it's almost half way done with May but I wanted to check in!!

I'm here!! My PCOS management I think is going well. Last month I wen to my first OBGYN appointment in 4 years (when I was first diagnosed) and had my routine pap test done. I am assuming that was normal because the doctor never said anything. No news is good news I guess. She prescribed my Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and I took that for 3 1/2 weeks and ended up stopping it. I was so sick on it and even had started bleeding very heavily for 2 weeks. Doctor said that was normal but the sickness and the way my body felt from it, I just knew something wasn't right. As soon as I stopped taking it I felt 100% better. I now just started taking Vitex as a way to help my monthly cycle. Today I noticed I am ovulating! I have never been able to tell so much that I am ovulating so I am hoping that is a sign that the Vitex is working!! Should be about 2 weeks before my cycle should start so we'll see what happens. I plan to get some Inositol soon and add that to my supplements I take and see how that helps. I did go for an ultrasound last week and waiting to hear the results of it. I have an appointment for an endocrinologist in June. I am a little hesitant of the appointment because I do not know if I am IR or not and have been weary about getting put on Metformin, which is what my OB suggested to see what the Endo says about it. She said it will help me lose weight but I don't know...

Next week is my 4th month weigh in since I started my journey to become healthy...so far I am down 45 lbs since mid January and I feel great!

This month I am working on being consistent and working hard with my exercise. I usually do about 4-5 days a week of HIIT and weight lifting, but I want to push as hard as I can and get the most out of my workouts.

Hope everyone is having a great month!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #9  

Hello again!

Astrophe, I should look into something like that when I travel! I am so stressed out from work that I really need something like yoga to calm down. Especially since STRESS is not good for weight loss OR PCOS.

I just came back from a trip and today my water weight is off. I haven't been tracking my calories and I think this is the right way to start intuitive eating... and I am not intuitively eating yet, but I am more aware of my hunger signals and obviously sticking to my paleo-like diet. I know that higher carb causes me to eat ravenously... sadly.

SamIAm -- congratulations on such great weight loss this year!!!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

SamIAm86 -- I could never do triphasic BC. (phased doses) I was better on monophasic. (steady dose) I know everyone is different but for me with the wacky pcos hormones steady dose was better then stair step dose.

I don't know if you saw this article:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ills-pcos.html

Glad the vitex seems to be getting things moving!

Over here I started D-chiro-inositol in March and had 2 periods on my own (miracle!). I hardly ever have them so I was stunned. One was a 52 day cycle and the other was a 48. I know that's not the normal range for other people, but for me? Who can go a year or more without when not on the pill? Wow!

Rana -- I'm still exploring it slowly but I like it. The app is called "Yoga Studio" and it's for iPad.

My Check In:

I finished the PCOS Diva Jump Start class. I enjoyed it and learned a few things. And you'd think I learn by now but nope... had some wheat bread yesterday and BOOM! Headache, bloat, gas, etc. I just have to cut it out permanently. It was a stunner how fast I felt bad because after the week of class detox I was feeling more energetic and clear headed.

Well, it's obvious now in BIG LETTERS that I need to ditch it so I've been experimenting with GF flour in some of my dinner recipes and trying to rebuild a new base of recipes.

The period screwed me up for sleep -- I have a hard time sleeping with PMS type cramps and I was miserable until my cycle finally started but I could tell it was coming because I woke up one morning and felt a lot better and more cheerful and less like a big ol' bear. That day I got my period.

A.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #11  

Of course, now that we are fast approaching the end of the month, my weight decided to go up by three pounds, seemingly from nothing! Not water retention, not PMS,.... I am really at a loss....

Crazy body!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Could it be the travel? Menses?

A.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #13  

Nope, I wish it was as easy as travel or my period!

I always reach this point -- 161 and then I gain a couple of lbs back... and then I focus on losing again -- and I wonder if there is something psychological about 160... Not sure. It's been the hardest number to cross and I only saw 159 once, when I had a norovirus that knocked me out for days.

I'm back to 162.4 lbs as of this morning. I'm going to see what happens this coming week...