40-Somethings - 40-Somethings: Struggles Welcome Here

Shannonsnail
04-27-2014, 11:31 AM
This thread is for those days when you just can't bear posting in threads where others are going strong, the days you binge, the days you eat off plan, the days your weight is up, the days you need alot of encouragement.

Mrs Snark
04-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks for starting this Shannon! Seeing as I've just come off a period of what I call "thrill eating" and have moments where I feel like I'm holding on by only the thinnest thread, I'm sure I belong here! :P

newleaf123
04-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Great thread. Thanks shannonSnail!

Zumbachica
04-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Wow great thread Shannon...thanks for starting it. I"m sure it will help others.

Some of you know my struggle.....which seems to be very bad lately......trying to drag myself out of that scary place. Sometimes you have to hit rockbottom before you can make changes....

Mrs Snark
04-28-2014, 08:08 AM
How is everybody doing?

I'm currently working hard to block out my own negative self talk. Trying to practice a little of that self-love stuff, see if I can't turn a negative into a positive experience. It's all in the perspective, right?

Shannonsnail
04-28-2014, 09:06 AM
How is everybody doing?

I'm currently working hard to block out my own negative self talk. Trying to practice a little of that self-love stuff, see if I can't turn a negative into a positive experience. It's all in the perspective, right?

Negative self talk is a hard one, it's so subtle, you often don't realize it's occurring. This time around I have been practicing grace with myself. I'm one of those all or nothing people which has sabotaged me many times. I had a bad eating weekend but instead of throwing in the towel as I have done many times (silly, isn't it?) I just got back on my plan. The scale showed a little gain but not over the previous week's weigh in so I'm trying to focus on the overall picture instead of thinking about where I was right before the bad eating.

Shannonsnail
04-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Oy! I just binged on trail mix. Just saying that makes me want to laugh because it wasn't my typical binge food (potato chips, ice cream, donuts, cookies, etc) but bingeing is more about the emotions/control/lack of control for me anyway. That was my first binge in about a month. So, I'm going to focus on that because used to, it was a several times a week event. The reason though is even odder. My binges have mostly been due to frustrations. In this case I was anxious because I didn't have dinner planned and my errands took too long this afternoon and it was almost dinner time and I wasn't seeing any quick fix in sight. I talked to my hubby and he agreed we should go out so I was relieved but then I went bonkers on the trail mix. I guess it was a delayed reaction to the anxiety. Oh well, like I said before, GRACE!

berryblondeboys
04-28-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm just struggling with learning the new me and it's new weight loss patterns.

I didn't have my period for three months and then BAM had it again 20 days later. Weight is coming on and off at unpredictable times. It's ALLLLL new territory for me after being so predictable!

I'm also struggling with getting back into exercise. I'm just so cold that I can't motivate myself to go outside and do it on days I can do it! This weight would come off faster and I would feel better and be healthier if I were moving more!

Mrs Snark
04-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Shannon -- I don't think ever done anything other than binge on trail mix. As in, I've never had "just a little" trail mix. Or just a single serving, or even a double serving of trail mix. Ever. In my life. Hang in there!

Melissa -- I'm sure having everything be so unpredictable adds alot of stress. I know I struggle more when things don't go according to plan! I do so much better with a plan and when everything is predictable!

Zumbachica
04-29-2014, 08:49 PM
I had my period today and Im so glad because my cravings and hunger this past week have been ridiculous!! I went to town on some pita chips yesterday and chocolate eclairs....today i feel less hunger...amazing what the powers of hormones can do to us, eh?

Shannonsnail
04-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Zumba, I have been really hungry too. My TOM is due in just a few days. I hope that is all it is. Last TOM I didn't notice extra hunger so I thought my new way of eating was helping that but now I'm just thinking it was a fluke. My meals were all on plan today but I ate way more at dinner than I usually do.

Zumbachica
04-29-2014, 09:48 PM
I notice that the day I get my period all of a sudden my appetites drops....I never paid much attention to that until the past year or so so maybe its all about the progesterone dips during my cycle becoming stronger since i am getting OLDER...ugh...

Zumbachica
04-30-2014, 06:27 AM
yesterday i drank more water, kept calories low, worked out, had my period...you would think something would give.....

Mrs Snark
04-30-2014, 09:28 AM
One of my dogs vomited in my hair last night.

Sooooooo, yeah.

Hopefully that's not a sign of things to come today.

Shannonsnail
04-30-2014, 10:16 AM
One of my dogs vomited in my hair last night.

Sooooooo, yeah.

Hopefully that's not a sign of things to come today.

Eww! So sorry!

Mrs Snark
04-30-2014, 07:38 PM
The day turned out ok-ish, so apparently it wasn't a portent. It was just gross. ;)

berryblondeboys
04-30-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm actually beginning to go stir crazy (reallllly awful weather here). I need to MOVE!!! Maybe my thyroid is getting better.

ICUwishing
05-01-2014, 12:56 PM
:wave: May I join you? I'm hitting the loss trail again after getting too far over my somewhat fuzzy red line (152). It's just been a real bear finding "the zone" again. I can point to some old bad habits such as crunchy/salty snack foods and general portion size creep - but there are a couple new challenges that sometimes get the best of me. Primarily, there's a DS14 in my house. He is a lovely human being, however - he still is a teenage boy. I'm also feeling some effects of hormonal stuff that didn't exist a couple of years ago, namely some wicked PMS cravings that in a week can wreck the rest of a decent month, calorie-wise.

Michelle, good on you to not let dog barf dictate the rest of the day. I am sort of curious about how that happened, I confess!

Melissa, I remember when I was first treated for low thyroid, I was blown away by how much more energy I had. It's amazing how incredibly good we can feel when things are in balance! Just wanting to move and get out there is a great start.

Mrs Snark
05-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Welcome ICU! :) "Recovering Pantry Pest" <-- that makes me laugh!

Like a fool and a fool's husband, we allow our dogs on the bed at night. I have long hair that spreads out over my pillow... and the bed... and anything else within range. My hair is out of control. Duncan, the doggy barfer, was apparently bedding down on my hair when he decided to suddenly -- with no warning -- yak up vomity bile all over my hair (and the pillow, and the bed).

Lesson learned: always wear a shower cap in bed and use plastic sheets for easy clean up.

ICUwishing
05-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Michelle, that just sounds like Date Night to me. ;) Just kidding. Sort of. And I mean the shower cap and sheeting, not the bile. Bwahahahaha!

Mrs Snark
05-01-2014, 02:05 PM
LOL! Is baby oil involved? Oh the stories I could tell. ;)

I think my 8.2 pounds of weight gain in one month (and actually I think I gained that in less than 28 days) was mostly due to salty/crunchy things and excessive boozles to wash them down. So I'm definitely avoiding those.

berryblondeboys
05-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Welcome ICU! :) "Recovering Pantry Pest" <-- that makes me laugh!

Like a fool and a fool's husband, we allow our dogs on the bed at night. I have long hair that spreads out over my pillow... and the bed... and anything else within range. My hair is out of control. Duncan, the doggy barfer, was apparently bedding down on my hair when he decided to suddenly -- with no warning -- yak up vomity bile all over my hair (and the pillow, and the bed).

Lesson learned: always wear a shower cap in bed and use plastic sheets for easy clean up.

OMG.... Imagining that... what a way to wake up! YUCK!

curvynotlumpy
05-01-2014, 02:38 PM
What a great thread, Shannon. Thank you for starting it! I see many familiar posters from other threads I'm on, but this seems like it could be a home base for me.

Two years ago I reached an all-time adult low weight of 144 pounds. My goal was 140. I was soooo close! While I know a promotion into new (and increased) job responsibilities, some romantic woes, and a few physical injuries have played a part in my weight gain, I do think I hit point where the weight was coming off almost effortlessly that I took it for granted. For over a year I've been trying to regain that "magic', that complete and total focus I had but I haven't been able too. I've become introspective and have asked a lot of questions. Weight loss will be different this time. I'm trying to understand and appreciate those differences without becoming resentful of them or overwhelming myself with self-judgement.

ICUwishing
05-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Hi, Curvy! Thanks for reminding me to thank Shannon for starting it! We have a neat thread going in the Maintainer's forum right now about "did you ever wonder why/who you're doing all this for?" It is a very important question!

Yesterday was a good day. I did have an unplanned dessert, but in the grand scheme of the day I would call it a win. There were social aspects of the dessert that outweighed (ironic pun) the caloric impact. When a teenage son is feeling sociable, I'll throw myself on a dessert grenade to keep the conversation going! :D

Shannonsnail
05-02-2014, 09:07 AM
This is not 'typical' struggles but I'm getting irritated with my hubby. He keeps saying I am losing weight to leave him. It is no secret that I am not happy about the state of our marriage but I am not losing weight to leave him. I am just trying to get my own self healthy. We have an almost 4 yr old and I struggle to keep up with her. Hubby is extremely overweight. He is generally supportive of my efforts (congratulates me, etc) but I think my losing is making him feel more frustrated by his own lack of motivation or whatever. Anyway, somedays I feel like it's just causing more tension in an already overly tension filled situation.

ICUwishing
05-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Shannon, I do think it's a very real struggle! Making lifestyle changes is really upsetting to the people around us. It's great that he supports you, though. All you can do is acknowledge his insecurity and keep reassuring him that the marriage and family are important to you and that your getting healthy is one of your ways of showing it.

Mrs Snark
05-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Shannon -- that is very difficult, because he may grow even more insecure as you continue to progress. It would be nice if he were inspired by your awesome progress and decide to join you! But whatever he chooses to do, you just keep going!

curvynotlumpy
05-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Hi, Curvy! Thanks for reminding me to thank Shannon for starting it! We have a neat thread going in the Maintainer's forum right now about "did you ever wonder why/who you're doing all this for?" It is a very important question!

Thanks, ICU. I couldn't agree more. On your suggestion I read the comments and found myself repeatedly nodding in agreement. So much experience and truth there! Unraveling our personal psychology and motivation is both enlightening and a bear sometimes.

curvynotlumpy
05-02-2014, 03:48 PM
This is not 'typical' struggles but I'm getting irritated with my hubby. He keeps saying I am losing weight to leave him. It is no secret that I am not happy about the state of our marriage but I am not losing weight to leave him. I am just trying to get my own self healthy. We have an almost 4 yr old and I struggle to keep up with her. Hubby is extremely overweight. He is generally supportive of my efforts (congratulates me, etc) but I think my losing is making him feel more frustrated by his own lack of motivation or whatever. Anyway, somedays I feel like it's just causing more tension in an already overly tension filled situation.

Shannon this is a very real struggle so please don't underplay it. While I've never been married it's interesting to see where the thoughts of others go when someone in their life loses weight. After I had lost about 40 pounds a friend's boyfriend commented to her that "she could really date any man now". Lots of things ran through my head like, huh? Was I undateable before? Mostly I was puzzled because like you, I wanted my health back more than anything. I was focused on what my body could do day-to-day and how the pain was dissipating, not in who I could attract.

It is good that he has shown you support. You're a loving, supportive spouse and I hope he recognizes that in you and realizes that your weight loss commitment has nothing to do with your commitment to him or your marriage. :hug: and good luck!

Mrs Snark
05-02-2014, 04:18 PM
After I had lost about 40 pounds a friend's boyfriend commented to her that "she could really date any man now".

Niiiice. I feel bad for your friend that she is dating such a schlub!

curvynotlumpy
05-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Niiiice. I feel bad for your friend that she is dating such a schlub!

Right??!!!

berryblondeboys
05-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Wondering why the scale is creeping up. A couple years ago my body worked like a clock. I would know when ovulation would hit. now? Who the heck knows. Signs of ovulation approaching are there, but we will see. Eating is right. Exercise is right. It will all come together probably, but who knows. A post ovulation whoosh would be nice. Haven't seen one of those for awhile.

Mrs Snark
05-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Do you weigh daily, Melissa? I would got bat-BEEP! insane if I looked at the scale daily.

If you are eating right and exercising right, then it WILL come together, so don't worry! :)

berryblondeboys
05-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Do you weigh daily, Melissa? I would got bat-BEEP! insane if I looked at the scale daily.

If you are eating right and exercising right, then it WILL come together, so don't worry! :)

I do. It worked great when my body had a plan. I could see where'd it was going, what time of month it was, etc. now? It's much mover random. S, I just get confused. I know it will have to "give" s I have been 100% on plan, but this randomness is new to me. I've weighed daily for the two years I was losing and the last time I lost. Same patterns. Until peri menopause.

When I don't weigh in is when I eat out of control. I find it easier to cheat if I feel it won't be reflected on the scale. And I'm in denial mode when I totally stop weighing. That huge regain I had? I stepped on the scale only once in tht time and that was on a day I felt I could get back on plan.... Tht was 15 pounds lighter than I am now.

Shannonsnail
05-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Maybe you need a different weighing plan now? I went years without weighing and now weigh daily but once my weight loss starts slowing I know I'm going to have to change that or it will make me crazy. Also, for my official weekly weigh in I do it on Mondays bc that is typically my highest day of the week. That way if I'm sneeking peeks during the week which I know I will, I should see improvement.

Shannonsnail
05-03-2014, 03:52 PM
I think trail mix is officially banned at my house....

Mrs Snark
05-05-2014, 06:50 AM
I think trail mix is officially banned at my house....

As it is in mine. Salty/sweet/crunchy/fat = waaaay too much for me to handle responsibly!

ICUwishing
05-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Ditto on the trail mix!

This week's obstacle will be time management. DH is away on business again this week - he's literally been gone M-F since February, and DS14 has a terrible evening practice schedule (6-9:30) for show choir as they get ready for their final concerts Fri and Sat nites. My swim team's practice schedule has also moved to the summer slots as of this week. I will call it a win if I get to two practices, and a major win if I get my butt out of bed and make it to the 7:30am one on Saturday as well!

Mrs Snark
05-05-2014, 08:41 AM
You can do it!

I have always loved that swimming icon you have in your sig, so cute!

ICUwishing
05-05-2014, 03:02 PM
I guess time management isn't the only troll under the bridge today! I am white-knuckling it through the siren song of the 2-oz bag of Cheezits in the vending machine upstairs. I have GOT to remember to leave my wallet in my car, dang it!!!! I only have 90 more minutes, and then I can flee the scene. I do NOT need an extra 320 calories! :rollpin:

Mrs Snark
05-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Hang in there! You will be so thrilled when you are out of there and didn't get those little suckers!

ICUwishing
05-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Thanks! I'm determined not to go up there - but why oh WHY are they so ungodly compelling???? (Answer can be found in "The End of Overeating": because they are DESIGNED that way!). I'm deeply annoyed by how distracting this has been! I have work to do, dangit!

Zumbachica
05-06-2014, 07:07 AM
I continue to struggle....got hold of a can of pringles and twirlers and went to town, the whole time knowing it was a bad thing to do. I think trying to eat like someone else who had success skipping breakfast was not a good idea. All delaying eating did was make me hungrier at night and caused me to binge. I'm sad.

Shannonsnail
05-06-2014, 07:32 AM
When I used to not eat breakfast regularly or only ate a small bowl of (empty carb type) cereal, I binged daily. I truly credit changing my breakfast habits with the start of changing my bad eating habits. I have only binged a few times in five weeks since starting to eat a substantial consistent breakfast daily. May not work for everyone but it works for me. Just consider this another thing to check off on the list of 'doesn't work for me'....each person is unique. :hug:

ICUwishing
05-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Ugh. I shoulda just had the Cheezits. :dizzy: Today is a new day and I am determined to do better.

Zumbachica
05-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Shannonsnail someone i know lost a ton of weight not eating breakfast, I think it was part of the intermittent fasting thing...but it just didn't work for me, maybe because if you do that then you need to make up for it with a huge lunch and i never eat big lunches. So that experiment is another epic fail, and I'm back to eating a big breakfast and we will see how that works out this week. This morning i had two hard boiled eggs, a banana (I only have fruit in the morning) with peanut butter. I think the goal here is to eat a light dinner or finish eating dinner earlier and then no snacks or binges. My binges are always at night. I think part of that is because it hits me how alone i am, the kids are in their rooms on outers and its just me and the dog in front of the t.v...she's cute but she doesn't offer much in terms of conversation.....:)

ICUwishing
05-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Zumba, it's really tough to have those evenings in isolation - I feel ya! My DH has been traveling on business Mon-Fri since early February - and wouldn't you know it, that's exactly when my extra pounds started creeping back on. DS14 will hole up in the office downstairs, or is gone all evening on rehearsals ... and yeah, it's lonely and I'll do dumb things. I need a better plan for doing productive things with my evenings.

Mrs Snark
05-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Becky -- Been there, done that. I swear sometimes the battle just wears you down, doesn't it! *sigh* As you said, today is another day! :)

Zumba -- Sorry the breakfast skipping seemed to backfire on you! Hang in there!

Zumbachica
05-06-2014, 02:24 PM
ICUwishing, yeah i'm glad that i'm not the only one....honestly i didn't think that was the problem but figured out it is, because that is when i binge or eat stuff i shouldn't be eating. I guess if there was another able bodied person around I wouldn't be stuffing my face, id have someone to talk to ..someone told me to take up knitting or crochet to keep my hands busy but I didn't like doing those things in the past. I dropped out of crochet class..LOL...

Snark i guess what works for other people won't work for me....like the whole fasting thing....i give people credit that can do that.

shr1nk1ngme
05-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Struggling to stay back on the diet wagon after a few weeks away. I mean, I have been maintaining (not gaining) but I still have a little ways to go and I don't want to get stuck here so close to my goal.

I already bumped my goal up by 5 pounds to make it more achievable. I also entered a diet bet for $30. If I don't lose 5.5 pounds in four weeks, I lose the $30. I figured it might motivate me to stay on plan.

Shannonsnail
05-06-2014, 05:13 PM
I might have just eaten some reeses cups....

Mrs Snark
05-06-2014, 06:50 PM
I might have just eaten some reeses cups....

The world will not implode and you will survive. :)

Shannonsnail
05-06-2014, 09:49 PM
True dat.

Note to self: Tomorrow is Wednesday....you may NOT weigh again til Friday....maybe the effects of giant off plan anniversary dinner will have worn off by then...maybe

FatAbbi
05-06-2014, 11:10 PM
I'm scale addicted these days.... Ugh.

ICUwishing
05-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Figured things out a little better yesterday - I hit the door with firm resolve to tackle a couple items from my list immediately after dinner. It kept me sufficiently busy that I didn't troll the pantry, and it did feel really good to go to bed knowing *something* got accomplished. Tonight I will suck it up and go to swim practice. It won't be pretty as I've taken a couple weeks off.

shannon - ditto what Mrs. Snark said. Move along, nothing to see here ... !

shrinking - I love the idea of those bets - is that the online one where if you don't make it, it goes to charity?

Abbi - addicted how? Multiple times a day? I'd say with 92 pounds lost, you probably already know a whole lot about how scale numbers move - what are you looking at differently now?

zumba - yeah, I'm not a crafty person. It's spring, so getting outside and pulling weeds or digging is a little more my style. Generally, if my hands are dirty, I'm not going to use them to stuff my face. And yardwork has the added benefit of being instantly gratifying. :D

shr1nk1ngme
05-07-2014, 09:22 AM
OK, so I have been on a kind of intermittent fasting/calorie cycling plan called JUDDD. Today is supposed to be a DownDay (a low-calorie, near-fasting day) but I have been off of my JUDDD rotations for weeks. Each DownDay starts out well, but by the end of the day it has turned into a regular eating day, which is why I have been maintaining and not losing any more. If I want to lose these last 15 pounds, I will have to stick diligently to my DownDays.

So, before I go to bed tonight I will report back here to say whether I was able to stick to my near-fasting plan for the day - or not.

berryblondeboys
05-07-2014, 09:30 AM
This morning when I got up and weighed myself (bleery eyed), I thought the scale had stayed the same from yesterday. I was going to be MAD as that would mean, essentially, my weight has been the same for roughly 3 weeks with being 100% on plan!

But... after seeing the readout, I realized, no... it had dropped a full pound. FINALLY. Man.... This weight is being super, duper stubborn.

I used to say, "it took years to put it on, so there is no need to rush to take it off. be patient"

Well, when you DID put on the weight fast, this SLOW loss really bites and it's not even that slow, but I definitely can put it on faster than I can take it off!

shr1nk1ngme
05-07-2014, 09:36 AM
shrinking - I love the idea of those bets - is that the online one where if you don't make it, it goes to charity?

I am pretty sure if you don't reach your diet bet goal, the money goes to the people who DID make their goal. That's how the dieters who succeed are able to win more than they put in. But some people pledge their winnings to charity, which is probably what you are thinking of.

It bothers me that it's called a diet "bet" because it's NOT gambling. I tried to explain it to some friends but they are put off by the idea that it is online gambling, which it isn't. You are only "betting" on yourself and your OWN ability to achieve your weight goals. There is no chance involved. It's like paying yourself to lose weight.

So far I have won about $60 (over and above what I put in) using their web site. I wish I had known about it when I first started because that's when I was losing weight like crazy and I could have made beaucoup bucks. I am currently in a 4 week "bet" where I have to lose 4% of my weight, and a 6 month "bet" where I have to lose 10% of my weight. These are REALLY modest goals. 4% of 136 is 5.5 pounds; totally achievable in four weeks. I have already achieved the 10% goal, so now I only have to make sure I keep it off because the payout isn't until August. When that payout comes in August, I expect to win about $100 (again, over and above what I put in).

Mrs Snark
05-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Melissa -- glad you got some confirmation on the scale!

Patience and Perseverance: we will practice these things WHETHER WE LIKE THEM OR NOT. And I'm usually in the NOT category. ;)

ICUwishing
05-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Reporting in. No new struggles ... but a few old ones still need a swat now and then. Kinda like me. :D I dishonored myself enough on Monday to cause a 4# jump today. :eek:

What I need is a public webcam running on the goings-on in my kitchen from about 3 - 7pm. I've seen me in action - I think this could work! ;) I don't like witnesses.

Shannonsnail
05-13-2014, 02:47 PM
I have been struggling for weeks. Still hoping I get back to that sweet spot I was in for the first month where I didn't really have cravings to battle. I really liked a recent blog post by Mrs. Snark about her one year blogiversary, really put this journey in perspective. I need to be careful not to "give up"!

AnnieB4444
05-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Just read the book Habit and apparently change requires a community. So here's my vow: attend at least three WW meetings a month and post at least every 2 days. I promise to try not to be too boring, but if I commit to sharing, maybe that will help me stay on track!

ICUwishing
05-16-2014, 04:41 PM
It's been a long week. I had a rather large, glorious Middle Eastern lunch with my mom; have to meet friends for dinner and man, I'm still full. Maybe a bowl of soup. I won't waste this opportunity to say no to overeating. :D I still haven't shaken most of that 4# blip from Monday and that is certainly playing a role in my resolve. Impending TOM is trying to get me to go the other way. It'll be a knuckle-biter! (Knuckles are low-calorie, aren't they?) ;)

MrsTryingAgain
05-17-2014, 03:37 PM
A struggle for me is realizing that little changes can bring results. I have to remind myself to just put one foot in font of the other. Also being at the "tail end" of 40, I may take longer & be more sore. And that soreness may last longer.
I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!! I still have too much I want to do in my 50s+!!!! :woohoo:

AnnieB4444
05-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Managed to enjoy WAY too much wine last night and stayed up WAY too late. I am doing weight watchers and 3 days into my week have no extra points left. Sigh. Back on track today.

ICUwishing
05-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Mon-Sun average was 156.4, with a 4.5# range. I might have tangled with something that aggravated a sensitivity - there were a number of unusual meals that weren't overly big but might have hidden an artificial color or two. Plus TOM. I'm hoping this could set the stage for a magnificent whoosh this week as long as I keep up my end of the bargain. I logged at least 10 hours of solid, heavy yardwork this weekend, so it definitely wasn't a matter of sitting on my fanny. ;) FORWARD!!!

berryblondeboys
05-19-2014, 09:29 AM
I've just entered the, "Don't get frustrated the scale is staying steady or gaining for the next two weeks" phase. And that's MAYBE... as I can never know if I will ovulate or not. This last month was textbook weight loss FOR ME. But with perimenopause, who knows if it will be again THIS month.

It's much, much, much more likely that I will stray or overeat in the half of the month that I don't see losses on the scale, even though I KNOW that half my losses visible for the month are earned during this two week stall-out where I just hold more water... It gets hard to remind the other part of my brain about that! I almost NEVER have a problem staying on target during the part of the month I'm losing every, single, day for 10-12 days!

shr1nk1ngme
05-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Our family is having a lot of struggles lately, none of which are weight related. We are all feeling completely overwhelmed for different reasons and our nerves are all stretched taut as a violin string. Some of the struggles are temporary (end of the school year, finals, social calendar teeming with activities, etc.) but there is at least one very serious family issue which is not going to go away and is going to take some time for us to deal with emotionally. Ugh. Between the family problems and my botched permanent eyebrows I haven't slept well in two weeks.

I have been tempted to self-medicate with food (there was PIZZA in the house yesterday) but I decided to eat a couple extra hard boiled eggs instead.

:carrot:

Mrs Snark
05-20-2014, 07:34 PM
I need to be reminded that there are too many calories in beer and in various other adult drinkies to be getting all jiggy with them all the time. Sigh.

Edited to add: Also, STOP WITH THE FRITOS MRS. SNARK.

ICUwishing
05-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Oh, Fritos ... hear ya! One of the very few junk foods with a short ingredient list - you could do a whole lot worse!

Two major hurdles coming up. First one is an annual morel mushroom extravaganza tonight. I'm gonna eat it. All of it. It's going to be a 3 hour dinner with friends and wine - and I will love every second. Here's a link if you like food porn and loooove mushrooms: http://www.hollyhotel.com/events.html.

Second is our annual Indy 500 BBQ on Sunday - we'll have a lot of guests at the house, too much beer, and general rowdiness. This isn't as big a deal, actually - I will be on my feet all day doing hostess stuff and aside from getting into the artichoke/bacon dip too deep, it's usually not that awful. My strategy is going to involve a huge platter of raw veggies. :D

And I'm still getting on the scale each and every day, regardless.

Zumbachica
05-24-2014, 01:24 PM
weekend with no BF (recent break up) and no kids (they are with their dad). I am going to have alot of ALONE time and I have to learn not to eat to fill the void). so far so good...took a walk with friends, did a little shopping and now i'm filling up my time with chores that i have been putting off. May go to a BBQ tomorrow which means temptation but I will do my best to make good choices.

Shannonsnail
05-25-2014, 09:29 PM
You are doing good Zumba! :hug:

Batampte
05-26-2014, 09:53 AM
I can't maintain motivation for 5 minutes!:(

NEMom
05-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Hello ladies. I have not been around for a while but I am still struggling with my weight.
I have kept most of the original 60lbs I lost a couple years ago off but have gained as much as 20lbs back. I am working on losing 10-15 more to get back to my original goal weight. I will do well for a while and then life happens or I get sick of dieting and up the weight goes.
I really need to find a lifestyle this summer where I am in the losing mode and not screw it mode. Last summer I enjoyed myself a little too much and that is where the 20lbs came from.
I have a lot of changes coming my way this summer and boy is it stressful for me. I am trying to take the changes one at a time but I have a terrible habit of thinking and worrying about them too much which makes it worse.
IT is so nice to see I am not alone in working on the weight loss, it reinforces this is really a life long battle.

andrew80k
05-27-2014, 05:35 PM
I need to be reminded that there are too many calories in beer and in various other adult drinkies to be getting all jiggy with them all the time. Sigh.

Edited to add: Also, STOP WITH THE FRITOS MRS. SNARK.

My trouble as well. :D I'm a fan of Bourbon and Beer and that makes for a poor diet combination.

ICUwishing
05-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Alrighty, done with the mass feasting. No real damage on the scale and no improvement either. Has anybody heard of the Give It 100 site? It's kinda cool - was started by a young lady who decided to learn how to do a specific form of dancing. The idea is to commit to doing something, practicing something, learning something 100 times and videoing progress. The brave post it on the website. I've decided to commit to a very simple 100 consecutive days of deliberate exercise. Not necessarily workouts, mind you. Just 100 days of actively thinking and DOING some form of deliberate exercise. Monday was heavy housecleaning (several hours), and yesterday was 45 crunches and attempt at planking.

The struggle - I truly love to be a body at rest. :beach:

Mrs Snark
05-28-2014, 10:30 AM
ICU -- that sounds really cool, I'm going to look that up! I immediately desire to do *something* new for 100 days, but nothing is coming to mind. Must. Think.

Andrew- beer and bourbon, I'm right there with you. Except on the bourbon part. But yes, yes, yes on the beer! ;)

NEMom- Welcome back! It surely will be a lifelong struggle for me! Not a doubt. Some days are easier than others. Some are ****. We just gotta keep moving forward!

Batampte - Getting started can be so tricky. Sometimes you've just got to gut it out even when you "aren't feeling it". It does get easier when you find your groove, so in the tough moments keep reminding yourself of that!

Zumba -- I'm sorry to read of your breakup they can be soooo hard! Senfing you hugs!

ICUwishing
05-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Ah, black IPAs, why do you have to be so tempting?

ICUwishing
06-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Made the mistake of caving in to the pleadings of DS14, who begged for a bag of Brookside's (sp?) dark chocolate Acai berries when he found out I had to go to Costco. Sure, it's two moderately healthy items ... but not in the quantity that they get eaten at my house! 1/4 cup serving ... :lol3: Not.

guacamole
06-05-2014, 11:05 PM
This is a great thread! Haven't been around for ages. I've put on about 20lbs since breaking my leg in the fall. I've actually been doing well with exercise...joined a gym as soon as my physical therapist gave the ok, and have been working out 4-5 a week for an hour for the past 3 months or so. However, my eating has been horrible. I've stopped logging calories which I used to do religiously and I've given in to cravings more often than not. Anyway, I really need to get back on track with my food and calories. It always seems like I do one or the other - either I'm great tracking calories and staying on plan but I don't exercise, or I exercise but that leaves me starving and I don't track my food and am not careful about eating too many calories. So...I need to get my act together...

Mrs Snark
06-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Hey guacamole! Sorry to hear about the broken leg! It sounds like you know you path back.

I discovered that no matter my exercise, I can't out-exercise my kind of bad diet (which was REALLY bad). So my priority has to be on the food side of the equation, with exercise considered the "cherry on top"!

ICUwishing
06-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Found what I think I need in the Chicks Up for A Challenge thread. They're doing a "bootcamp" type thing for 3 months this summer, starting June 15. I'm going to join in as soon as I formulate a workable plan. I'm not all that particular about what the scale reads, but I definitely feel ready to pursue some serious inch loss.

:wave: guac!

guacamole
06-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I lost the bulk of my weight strictly through diet with zero exercise...only the last 15-20 lbs were with exercise added. So, I know that my food choices are the key ingredient to weight loss. Still, I get cocky about the exercise and overestimate the power of calories burned - hoping that the exercise will offset poor eating - which it never does. I've got to get mentally back on plan again with my eating.

andrew80k
06-08-2014, 11:48 AM
I discovered that no matter my exercise, I can't out-exercise my kind of bad diet (which was REALLY bad). So my priority has to be on the food side of the equation, with exercise considered the "cherry on top"!

This is going to be the case for most people anyway. The research I've done indicate that weight/fat loss is 90% diet and only 10% exercise. I know this is a reality for me. I can skip the gym if necessary and as long as I stay on my eating plan, I still lose what I would expect. The exercise does help speed things along a bit, but most people can't typically out exercise a bad diet.

AnnieB4444
06-10-2014, 09:30 AM
41 years old and I am still learning this. :?:
Shocker!

Back on track, back on track, back on track...

Mrs Snark
06-10-2014, 10:27 AM
LOL Annie, it is a cruddy lesson, I think that's why we block it out! ;)

andrew80k
06-10-2014, 10:29 AM
41 years old and I am still learning this. :?:
Shocker!

Back on track, back on track, back on track...

I think no matter how old we are and how much we know better, we don't always DO better. Include me in that as well.

Shannonsnail
06-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Grrr! My weight loss is kind of stalling! I think it's salt/water related bc I have been mostly on plan the last few days. I need to prioritize water but I just am not an overly thirsty person. Grrr! Just needed to vent!

Naama
06-12-2014, 04:39 AM
Hello all,

I hope it's ok that I join you? I'm 48 years old, living in Israel. I'm a long-time lurker trying to gingerly wet my toes in active participation. This thread seems like a good place to start - seeing as I'm forty something and definitely struggle :wave:

I've been trying on and off to get rid of 10-20 pounds that seem to all concentrate in my tummy (which I hate) for years now with no real success. I'm hoping that being more active, sharing and talking here will help keep me more focused and accountable. I guess we'll see ... :) I'm going to try and post every day -I'm a bit shy so it's quite a challenge for me.

Wishing everybody good vibes and good luck on their journey.

Naama

andrew80k
06-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Welcome, Naama. I turn 48 this year and my goal is to be down 30 more pounds by the time my birthday rolls around. If I can stay focused and get it done I will be the thinnest I have been in 20 years. Making good progress, but still a LONG way to go.

Mrs Snark
06-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Welcome Naama, glad you're posting! I'm struggling with the last 10ish also, and mine is also concentrated in my tummy, so I understand how hard it is!

Naama
06-14-2014, 02:33 AM
Thank you Mrs. Snark and Andrew for the warm welcome.

Well, the past two days have definitely been a struggle :stress: I put the icon for stress because that was what I was feeling - lots and lots of stress... It was a work issue that involved being confrontational which I'm not comfortable with at all. As a result all my good intentions re diet and controlling food went out the window (they didn't even say good bye - just flew off.. not nice :) )

Anyway, today I'm feeling calmer and more centered. I cooked oatmeal and am having a small serving for breakfast. In a bit I'm going for my squash lesson which I always enjoy. Hopefully this will continue to be healthy day throughout. We'll see...

A glorious Saturday to you all.

Naama

Shannonsnail
06-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Why oh why did I think it was a good idea to buy Nutter Butter cookies for my daughter?? I was upset and ate half the bag....and tomorrow is my weigh day. Sigh.......

Shannonsnail
06-16-2014, 11:18 PM
someone please come to my house and throw out the Nutter Butters!!!!

Naama
06-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Happy to come over.. but flight tickets are so expensive right now! ;)
In lieu of physical presence, I looked up the ingredients list and Nutter Butter includes hydrogenated oils, HFCS, soy lecithin and artificial flavoring. Doesn't that make you want to get rid of them all by yourself?!

andrew80k
06-17-2014, 08:36 AM
someone please come to my house and throw out the Nutter Butters!!!!

I can't do it. I would just eat them too. Cookies are my weakness... :D Maybe we could split them???

Shannonsnail
06-17-2014, 08:39 PM
I can't do it. I would just eat them too. Cookies are my weakness... :D Maybe we could split them???

Andrew LOL! That really cracked me up! Fortunately I tested my blood sugar 2 hrs after eating them last night so I think knowing that number will help deter me from them should I be surprised in a dark alley, umm cabinet, in the future.

Naama, sadly, even knowing that doesn't help in the heat of a binge but I think I'm now armed properly for the next time.

Shannonsnail
06-18-2014, 12:55 PM
I lied....got into those things again....good news? They are now gone and never returning!

Mrs Snark
06-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Nutter butters are vegan, did you know? I can devastate those babies in no time flat. Keep them far, far from me.

Glad they are gone, now your life can return to its regularly scheduled programming!

andrew80k
06-18-2014, 01:12 PM
I lied....got into those things again....good news? They are now gone and never returning!

Now if we'd have split them, you'd only feel half the guilt... :D

ICUwishing
06-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Struggle: Telecommute days. I really need to set my computer up on the far end of the house from the pantry. I've been trolling the pantry and the fridge all day, to the point where I can't wait to go back to work tomorrow. ARGH!!!

Mrs Snark
06-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Has anybody heard of the Give It 100 site? It's kinda cool - was started by a young lady who decided to learn how to do a specific form of dancing. The idea is to commit to doing something, practicing something, learning something 100 times and videoing progress. The brave post it on the website.

The above stuck with me, and I have been trying zumba via youtube. I'm really, really, REALLY bad at it. And I haven't been videoing it, because, OMG... BUT... I *am* having a great time.

Here are the 2 routines I've been working on. They are really very fun. I'm so, so, SO glad I don't have mirrors in my house to reflect my dancing back to me.

Anyway, I thought I'd share in case anyone else wants to get down on it. ;)

Prrrum Zumba (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_npIFW_juI)

Zumba Thrift Shop (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62TjCy-73M)

Shannonsnail
06-18-2014, 04:57 PM
I like zumba but am horrendous at it! I went to a few classes a long time ago and managed to run into almost everyone in there, I was mortified!

Ok, so try to contain the laughter but guess what my favorite low carb, gluten free food blogger released today? A nutter butter recipe! LOL!

Zumbachica
06-19-2014, 01:05 PM
ICU GET AWAY FROM THOSE CHEEZITS!!!!!

I'm stuck at 149.......

my personal trainer told me today that I am not going to show any progress with all my working out if I keep eating the way that I am....

grrrrrrrr...so frustrating.

Shannonsnail
06-19-2014, 02:40 PM
ICU GET AWAY FROM THOSE CHEEZITS!!!!!

I'm stuck at 149.......

my personal trainer told me today that I am not going to show any progress with all my working out if I keep eating the way that I am....

grrrrrrrr...so frustrating.

It's a bummer, you can't out exercise a bad diet, or so I've heard....that is why I am not going hardcore with exercise til my diet is more solid, first things first!

ICUwishing
06-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Zumbachica! :) I think I've been "Cheezit sober" for about 3 weeks. :D I can hear them calling about 2pm just about every day, though. :rolleyes:. Resistance is NOT futile!

guacamole
06-24-2014, 08:44 PM
It's been so hard to get my eating on track. I've been going to the gym and tracking my food. I keep caving in at night to candy or extra food I don't need. Ack.. My stomach is jutting out like the old days...I miss my flat stomach! I've got to give up the sugar and night time eating!

Shannonsnail
06-25-2014, 12:08 AM
It's been so hard to get my eating on track. I've been going to the gym and tracking my food. I keep caving in at night to candy or extra food I don't need. Ack.. My stomach is jutting out like the old days...I miss my flat stomach! I've got to give up the sugar and night time eating!

night time is hard for me too. I am "on" all day with my daughter (age 4) and i think when she finally goes to sleep, it's like part of my "me time" - being hungry. I just want to relax and not be needed. I almost always snack after she goes to bed. But, I try to keep it to on plan snacks and if I'm feeling extra snacky i will try to busy myself as far away from the kitchen as possible. Tonight I've been holed up in my office just surfing the net to keep myself out of the kitchen.

guacamole
06-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Staying away from the kitchen at night is a must! I always regret going there in the late evening. I think I also view eating treats as "me time" with all the kids at home and no quiet space right now.

ICUwishing
07-02-2014, 11:48 AM
All right, I confess - I've got a major problem with the chip/cracker world. I need some suggestions for a crunchy/SALTY combo (yes, I am one of the lucky sodium nonsensitives) that won't blow a calorie budget. I'm limping along with celery and salsa, half-heartedly and I NEED NEW OPTIONS!!! Help!!

kirsteng
07-06-2014, 12:36 PM
All right, I confess - I've got a major problem with the chip/cracker world. I need some suggestions for a crunchy/SALTY combo (yes, I am one of the lucky sodium nonsensitives) that won't blow a calorie budget. I'm limping along with celery and salsa, half-heartedly and I NEED NEW OPTIONS!!! Help!!

Have you tried those dried seaweed snacks?? They are salty, crunchy, ridiculously low in cals, and for me - really scratch the salty/crunchy itch. Even my 3 kids love them. They sell them at costco here, as well as most asian food stores.

FitFanny
07-14-2014, 12:23 PM
I am really struggling this month with my weight loss. I started out good, lost a few pounds at the beginning of the month but THE FOOD! I'm making bad choices out of convenience. I just want to be skinny again and I'm tired of having to work at it. I think about it all the time. I hate looking in the mirror. I look better when I just think about what I look like than when I actually look in the mirror haha! In my mind I look the way I did when I was 145lbs even though I'm 159lbs! Of course that's not what other people see.

guacamole
07-15-2014, 09:04 AM
FitFanny - I've been struggling too. Going to the gym has actually been bad for me in the sense it gives me "permission" to eat whatever I like after a workout. I am feel really down right now seeing the stark numbers on the scale and how far I've regressed. It scares me how easy it was to pack on 20lbs again. I just hope I can take it off.

ICUwishing
07-15-2014, 09:26 AM
kirsteng - thank you for the idea! I have those in the house already and they never crossed my mind (it's the KID's food!). D'oh!

I found my resolve yesterday morning after a long weekend of being off the rails with beer, burgers, and even a "final nail" turtle sundae on Sunday night. The scale showed me a number a mere half pound away from being overweight again. Out came the journal and the calorie chart - I put down 1605 calories of good nutritious food yesterday. And I am not going to get on the scale again for a while - I'll go with fit and feel. I know how I work - if I see a fast drop this week, I'll slack off. ;)

Mrs Snark
07-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Struggle, struggle, boil, and bubble isn't that what Shakespeare wrote? Or something like that. ;)

I've been treading water, basically, making some crappy high-cal food choices that force me to cut back on healthy foods to make up for the calories. This is never a good thing if it goes on for too long, it just isn't a sustainable daily diet.

Trying to clean up my act again. I had such a nice, healthy June, but July has been a cr@p shoot.