South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 07:34 AM   #1  
In Control: E+R=O

Default New here and new to SBD

Hi! I've just finished reading the South Beack Diet book, and will be starting the diet today. I just found this board, and it looks wonderful!!

A little bit about myself. I am female, 45 years old (am I *really* that old??), and need to lose about 80 pounds. I recently discovered that I have borderline high blood pressure, am insulin resistant, and have high blood lipids.

I tried the Atkins diet a few months ago. In a month I lost 22 pounds. I was feeling great! I know that a diet low in carbohydrates, especially carbs with high glycemic index, is the best for me. When I eat carbs and my blood sugar and insulin soar, I can really feel it. I get sluggish, so tired I can barely function, my heart pounds, I have intense brain fog. I felt so good on Atkins, I thought that was my answer.

Then I went to see my doctor. She did some blood tests, which showed that even though I was feeling good, my body was not responding so well to the Atkins way of eating. She told me to stop.

So I pretty much went back to my old way of eating, and have reclaimed half of the 22 pounds that I lost. I am still down about 11 pounds from my original starting weight (which was my absolute highest weight ever), so at least I didn't put it all back on (need to look at the positive, right?)

So here I am. I am so excited about starting this plan, because I know that I will physically and mentally feel so much better getting the high-glycemic carbs out of my life again. And I know my dogs will be excited too....because I won't need to crash the minute I walk in the door from work (that's another story...very stressful job with long hours) and I'll be able to start taking them for daily walks.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:17 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome, Twodogsmom. I too have two dogs and am the grandmother (Grand*****?) to 26! I also have Type II diabetes and a lifelong weight problem and find this diet just the thing I need.

You will love it here. Be sure to ask any and all questions, start a new thread on whatever you wish and join us all on the daily thread - which I am about to start. Whoops! Late this morning!
Old 07-19-2003, 10:38 AM   #3  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

WELCOME TWODOGSMOM!!!

This is a great place to be...lots of very nice women here. I've only been doing this WOE for 3 1/2 weeks, but it seems to be working really well for me.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:41 AM   #4  

Welcome 2dogs! I think you'll do much better on SBD. First of all it's good carbs, good fat. That's an important factor. I've been on the program 2 months watching my Chol. drop from 227 to 187 - with bad #'s dropping 20 pts also ( I forget which it is-LDL or HDL at this senior moment). My Dr. was so impressed! I have friends back in NY who astounded their MD's when they got their blood work back last week. His Cardiologist hadn't heard of SBD, wanted to know all the details and is now using them as Guinea Pigs. My friend had tripple bypass surgery 8years ago. His wife is diabetic and her #'s were perfect across the board. So I'd keep close contact with your MD and see what happens. I've yet to see anyone who follows the plan with reasonable care
do poorly! Lab work doesn't lie! Best of luck with your new endeavor! Cindy
Old 07-20-2003, 10:15 AM   #5  

Thank you Ruthxxx, dentrassi, and Laked for the warm welcome! I really am looking forward to becoming part of this group. I've been reading some of the other posts, and it looks like a great group of people post here....very supportive of each other. I've found that losing weight is easier with support from others who understand and who are going through the same process. And I am really looking forward to this new woe.....it sounds like exactly what I need and what will work for me. My first day yesterday went really well!!

Ruthxxx, what kind of dogs do you have? I have cocker spaniels, both are rescues, and they bring me so much joy (and sometimes make me crazy LOL!)
Old 07-20-2003, 11:08 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Twodogsmom, I'm the proud owner of two Portuguese Water Dogs, Hershey and Lucy, mother and daughter. Don't get me started in here on the sterling qualities of this breed or all the other Beach Babes will kick me out!

I love cockers too. My Sandbag was with me for 15 years through some difficult times. I should have married him. Good for you being a rescue Mom.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:18 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, 2dogs!! Yes, you're going to have SO much more energy!!

Ruth, I fully expected to see you at the Kars Fair on Saturday.
Some of the dogs and their owners KILL me! I could watch them all day. There were some poodles there... oh heck, I'd better close my mouth before I offend anyone...
Old 07-20-2003, 11:40 AM   #8  

Ruth, PWDs are so cool!! I'm sure no one minds if you brag a little about your furry kids. Sandbag is an interesting name for a cocker, I bet he was a cutie.

Ellis, thanks for the welcome. I am SO looking forward to the increased energy, I'm tired of being so tired all of the time.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:34 PM   #9  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Twodog-Sounds like my kids!!!!
Closed Thread