Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/162/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Cycling!

Hey guys, I recently joined a gym. Cycling is one of the classes that best fits my terrible schedule, so I've been doing it a lot.

Any experience with how cycling has affected your body? I really like it and the instructor that runs, but I'm concerned it will bulk up my legs. I'm a TRUE pear shape--and my thighs/saddlebags are the reason I want to lose weight. I'd love to have legs like some of the girls in my class, but I'm just concerned that my legs will get bigger.

Thanks!
lucrezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucrezia View Post
Hey guys, I recently joined a gym. Cycling is one of the classes that best fits my terrible schedule, so I've been doing it a lot.

Any experience with how cycling has affected your body? I really like it and the instructor that runs, but I'm concerned it will bulk up my legs. I'm a TRUE pear shape--and my thighs/saddlebags are the reason I want to lose weight. I'd love to have legs like some of the girls in my class, but I'm just concerned that my legs will get bigger.

Thanks!
I haven't done it, but I know people who have had great success with it, and just love it. They do spinning classes, I assume that's what you mean?
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #3  
He is Risen! Alleluia!

S/C/G: 205/181.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucrezia View Post

Thanks!
I don't think it will bulk your legs. Women don't have as much testosterone as men so when it comes to working out, we don't get bulky. I see cycling as more of a fat burning workout more so than a toning one, but I'm sure you will get some definition in your legs as well.

I went to a spinning class once and really liked it. Really made me work hard, but boy did my but hurt!!! That was the worst part!
FleurDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Spinning should be fine. Its the higher gears that build muscle.

I'm a pear shape and at times i do lots, and i mean LOTS of cycling. Like 100km a day and it does add muscle but then i ride with the weight of packed panniers and hills and things.

All exercise will build muscle if your diet is right. But its resistance training that builds most muscle so any sport where you need to use more strength will build it.

Have you ever considered doing yoga. It would give an overall more even muscle result.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #5  

I just got a bike last year, I absolutely love it!
By the end of the summer I was doing 20 mile rides.
It was doing wonders for my legs & tush
MsMatic is offline   Reply With Quote