Ideal Protein Diet - IP Daily Chat

View Full Version : IP Daily Chat

lisa32989
04-15-2014, 08:11 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html): Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4701599-post49.html)

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/221536-real-cost-cheating-ideal-protein.html)

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273856-ideal-protein-diet-recipes-4-a.html)
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270950-ideal-protein-tips-recipes-incredible-weight-loss-center.html)

For those looking for alternative products
Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270731-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-a.html
And here is a link to a chart (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4677467-post240.html) to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)

lisa32989
04-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Let's keep up the positive attitude from yesterday
I loved all of the NSVs and can-dos!
We can (and will) do anything we make up our minds to do

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8559/8710461172_be04181345_o.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/17882544@N02/8710461172/)

ReenHag
04-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Good morning, everyone!

Thanks for the support yesterday. It was a long day, as I worked my part-time job last night, and I was too wiped out to post last night before the thread closed.

Slipfree, I hope you are enjoying break, too!

Everyone had such positive posts and vibes yesterday! Excellent! Keep it up!

Have a great day!

~Renee

wildirishrose
04-15-2014, 09:07 AM
As much as I don't want to be, I'm still torn up about this 1 # weight GAIN. I know it's 1 # and not the end of the world and it could be related to constipation or TOM...but How does one eat like this and GAIN weight?! I just feel so defeated today and my next weigh in is not till Monday, but I'm hoping for a big loss!

Ruth Ann
04-15-2014, 09:38 AM
As much as I don't want to be, I'm still torn up about this 1 # weight GAIN. I know it's 1 # and not the end of the world and it could be related to constipation or TOM...but How does one eat like this and GAIN weight?! I just feel so defeated today and my next weigh in is not till Monday, but I'm hoping for a big loss!

Holly - don't let it get you down. My scale has been up 3 lbs since Thursday and then boom - down 3 lbs today. I blame some lunch meat I used - way too much sodium. What you have to realize is that you did not gain a pound of fat, no way for it to happen if you stayed OP. It takes nearly 4000 (or something like that) calories to make a pound of fat and you didn't eat that many calories.

Most likely culprits are sodium, injury or illness. If you have pulled muscles your body will retain water to help repair them. And illness (colds, etc.) will cause inflammation which is just water retention.

Quit stressing - it slows your weight loss! You're fine, this happens to everyone. Just relax, it will go away.

dak1lls
04-15-2014, 09:45 AM

I had a couple of weeks where I gained during p1. Inflammation can result in an uptick on the scale. As Ruth Ann said, there is no way it is a pound of fat. You are in good company, as virtually everyone here has had a similar experience. Stress, increased activity, sodium, hormones...there are many contributing factors. My first gain was around the 5 or 6 week mark, which is common as well. The best thing you can do is accept that it is just part of the process and move forward. You are doing fantastically well.

SylviesGirl
04-15-2014, 10:01 AM

Look at this as practice at honing another skill needed for permanent weight loss: keeping the scale in perspective. Unjustified gains happen, and they are a bummer. This is where the mental work of weight loss kicks in. Grab onto what Ruth Ann said, there is NO way that you gained a lb. of fat without ingesting 4000 extra calories (on top of your base caloric need, which is already higher than what IP has you eating). In other words, you would have had to have eaten TONS of extra food for this to be a true weight gain. If you had eaten that much food, you would be feeling lucky to have gained only a pound. So, now that you know that this is not a fat gain, you have to find a way to push that little defeatist voice out of your head. Distract yourself. Do whatever it takes to shut down that voice of doubt in your head.

As someone else said, these gains happen, but, in my experience, especially relatively early on, you will make up for it and then some next week . . . as long as you don't give up or give in. So, look at this week as a good chance to work on the mental game . . . and go get 'em! :coach:

hope2781 -- You talked about having too much salt late in yesterday's chat. Looking at the P1 protocol sheet, salt minimums are listed. I am not aware of a salt maximum. I believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that there is no firm limit on salt . . . if you have high blood pressure or some other factor that would suggest keeping a cap on your salt, that would be another matter. So, give yourself a break. If you're having more salt than you think you should be, you are still doing just fine.

ems70508
04-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Holly, these ladies know what's up. Don't worry about the scale all the time. I used to, it probably added stress which caused me to maintain. Look at your measurements and how your clothes fit. We are putting our bodies through so much, you'll never know what will happen! My spotting was out of control (in my opinion) for a week or so before my period and I was like..this is it..im dying (drama queen over here) but we've done so much to our bodies and now we're helping it! So enjoy what you're eating (knowing that it'll make you stronger) and let your body do the rest!

Slipfree, I saw your question in last nights thread but i'll answer here. My new coach is great! I'm much more motivated for weigh ins now, even if I know it won't be much. I don't mind. I know that if something goes wrong now, I have someone who can confidently answer my questions.

On another note, I just got a message from my dad. He was on a flight from Dubai to Dallas. They had to stop in Minneapolis because the woman next to him had a heart attack. The crew has been giving her CPR for the last hour until they were able to land. I do not know this woman but know she needs prayers today. This is the most supportive group of people I know of so I ask you to keep her and all the people on that flight in your prayers today!

wildirishrose
04-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Thank you ladies!! Gosh I love you so much!
I honestly felt yesterday like grabbing a bag of Oreo's and having a pity party for myself. But I didn't even stray a tiny bit. So that makes me feel victorious. I did a workout last week...okay, it was only one day. And only for 10 minutes. But I am not lieing, that little workout was intense and man....can I tell a difference in my muscles.

EMS: praying for that women. What a heart wrenching moment. To not be able to do anything. Things like that affect me. Some people can brush them off and go about their day, but I never can get them out of my mind as quickly.

AmberLS
04-15-2014, 10:46 AM
EMS- sending out positive thoughts for the lady on the plane as well as all the men and women on IP today!.
It looks like it might be a beautiful spring day here. I hope so cause I'm ready to spend some of my spring/Easter break outside!!!! I've been trying to figure out why my neck and shoulders have been hurting. I think I'm sleeping on them funny. I've been really cold all the time (thanks to IP and weight loss) :) so I think I'm not relaxing enough at night maybe.

wildirishrose
04-15-2014, 11:14 AM
EMS- sending out positive thoughts for the lady on the plane as well as all the men and women on IP today!.
It looks like it might be a beautiful spring day here. I hope so cause I'm ready to spend some of my spring/Easter break outside!!!! I've been trying to figure out why my neck and shoulders have been hurting. I think I'm sleeping on them funny. I've been really cold all the time (thanks to IP and weight loss) :) so I think I'm not relaxing enough at night maybe.

It snowed here. >.< I know I know I live in Michigan, but IT'S APRIL. Common! I just want to wear flip flops and not freeze. Is that so much to ask?!

ems70508
04-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Holly I do that all the time! I walk down the chip/water aisle to get some sparkling water and I'm like...LOOK AT ALL YOU DELICIOUS BAGS OF CHEMICALS! But then I remember how much work I've done! And how much my stomach would hurt! How I would feel puffy! Now worth it. I'll go home and have some salt/vinegar crisps!

Amber, I'm jealous of your beautiful spring day! We've already been in the 80's for a week now. But then today it dipped back down to 44. I'm not quite sure what to do! It's never been this cold in April!

murphypuppy
04-15-2014, 11:30 AM
My scale isn't going down this week either but I've noticed a pattern emerging where I have 2 big weeks of loss, one week of moderate loss and one week of "UHG! You have got to be kidding me! I've been 100% on plan and this is the thanks I get?" I'm currently in the "UHG" week. Looking forward to next week for sure!!

CarbLover443
04-15-2014, 11:38 AM
My scale isn't budging either. It's going up a pound and down a pound all week long.

sarahBell
04-15-2014, 11:40 AM

:hug: it is hard to swallow but stressing on it makes it harder to lose it!

Slipfree
04-15-2014, 12:01 PM
I have been meaning to say this for weeks, that IP vanilla peanut bar- is fit to eat!

Holly, sorry that the pound has you stressed. It can be really hard to do the work and not get the pay off. The scale will get in line, unfortunately in it's own time. Just keep going, one food choice at a time. :hug:

Ems, so glad that the new coach is helpful. Will keep the lady from the plane and all those affected in my prayers (especially your Dad)

Murphypuppy, wanted to thank you for the chart on the alternatives page. Fantastic! It is true, that the scale can be a fickle friend. I have stayed true to the IP protocol 99.9% of my 6 months and there have def. been weeks of no loss. Even had a prolonged slowdown in Jan. As other IP veterans have taught me, the scale is just one indicator on this journey. Maybe you are losing inches during that week?

Amber, hope your sunshine holds for you :) Enjoy your spring break.

Reenhag- working during vacation, now that does not seem quite fair :( I am doing a lot of vegging. After that cold/flu a couple weeks ago, testing and a bunch of other school responsibilities- I am tired. The weather here was good for about an hour yesterday, now we are back to cold and rain. Nice excuse to pajama it :D

drd1961
04-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Holly I do that all the time! I walk down the chip/water aisle to get some sparkling water and I'm like...LOOK AT ALL YOU DELICIOUS BAGS OF CHEMICALS! But then I remember how much work I've done! And how much my stomach would hurt! How I would feel puffy! Now worth it. I'll go home and have some salt/vinegar crisps!

Amber, I'm jealous of your beautiful spring day! We've already been in the 80's for a week now. But then today it dipped back down to 44. I'm not quite sure what to do! It's never been this cold in April!

I will have to remember that. Delicious bag of chemicals, too funny! Does not make it sound very good at all.

wildirishrose
04-15-2014, 12:09 PM
I will have to remember that. Delicious bag of chemicals, too funny! Does not make it sound very good at all.

I've started using it on my kids. Now I guess I should apply it to myself. They'll ask for skittles and I tell them to read the ingredients and they are like "what? what is this? GROSS!"

danilynn
04-15-2014, 12:17 PM
I've started using it on my kids. Now I guess I should apply it to myself. They'll ask for skittles and I tell them to read the ingredients and they are like "what? what is this? GROSS!"

i do the same thing to my son who is 10. He will ask all the time for junk food when we go grocery shopping. I tell him if he can pronounce the ingredients on what he wants and knows what they are -- he can have it. lol.. kiddo figured it out its nothing but a bunch of chemicals. :)

karkrazy13
04-15-2014, 01:20 PM
My scale isn't budging either. It's going up a pound and down a pound all week long.

I'm the same way... it's week 7 for me, so I guess it's "normal", but it sure is frustrating! :mad: Hopefully my next weigh-in (this Saturday) will show a loss... wish me luck! :D

Love this forum! :hug:

nalaroo
04-15-2014, 01:49 PM
My scale isn't going down this week either but I've noticed a pattern emerging where I have 2 big weeks of loss, one week of moderate loss and one week of "UHG! You have got to be kidding me! I've been 100% on plan and this is the thanks I get?" I'm currently in the "UHG" week. Looking forward to next week for sure!!

I had the same exact pattern for many months as well. I did a little research and found a paper published by a gynecologist about the patterns of our hormones and how our metabolism changes as certain chemicals are turned off and on in our bodies as we go through our normal cycle.

catlady1981
04-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Went for my annual physical today. Told my doc about Ideal Protein. She was not as supportive as I would have hoped. She was glad I was loosing weight, but her main comment was "I don't see how eating protein packets is sustainable in the long run". I tried to explain about the protocol but I could tell she had lost interest. :( Oh well. When I go back next year at my new incredible maintained weight, maybe then she will pay attention.

On another note, NSV in my closet this morning. Two pairs of dress pants are too big! My work wardrobe is shrinking...just like me! :carrot:

MellyIP
04-15-2014, 02:38 PM
I have to say, it's comforting knowing I'm not alone with the "ugh" weeks. It's tempting to go home and just cry from frustration. Thankfully my boyfriend is extremely supportive and tells me that he notices it even though he sees me everyday. I'm going home in 5 weeks to see my parents and just hoping that they can see my hard work paying off!

SophieLT
04-15-2014, 02:40 PM

I don't even have a scale at home for that reason. I knew I would want to get on it all the time and stress over it. Now, I just go to my clinic on Sat. to weigh in knowing I've been OP all week.

Johnsdeere
04-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Wahoo Catlady! Congrats on the too big pants!

EMS - I'll definately keep the woman and the entire crew in my prayers. ;)

I've come to the conclusion that TOM, I will always have a very minimal loss. Day after it all the scale went down, which makes me wonder why in the world I even weighed myself. LOL I'm officially over my half way mark and less weight then I have been in 8 years. Friday I went to ROSS and bought some size 14 black slacks for work...and they fit like a dream! Wahoo! I'm giving my 16's and 18's to the woman's mission here in town so they have career wear for job interviews etc. I'm excited that I'm finally able to dig into my clothing bins, it's like christmas. Alot of my tops are way too big and actually look too big for me. I thought too small clothes were in the past and gone forever. It's mine (all of ours) realities. Who would of thought?

Lovin' IP using alternatives, how I feel (fabulous), and how I'm looking. My husband is in the same boat as me. I'm so excited to be on this path.

LakeLover
04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Good afternoon,

It's a rainy, cool day here and I'll need to remember to take the tender plants in as we're expecting temps close to or below freezing.

I've been spending my time going through the Alternative Products thread and writing things down. My WI is tomorrow, and I'm feeling good :)

65X65
04-15-2014, 02:44 PM
I have to say, it's comforting knowing I'm not alone with the "ugh" weeks. It's tempting to go home and just cry from frustration. Thankfully my boyfriend is extremely supportive and tells me that he notices it even though he sees me everyday. I'm going home in 5 weeks to see my parents and just hoping that they can see my hard work paying off!
Just remember slow and steady wins the race. In some ways slow and steady is more than OK...your head has to catch up to your body...and there will be a lot of changes in your life!! All good...and you want to maximize your ability to really get the most out of the process. If that doesn't help..at any rate...IP is usually faster than anything else! The scale is only one factor in this process.

murphypuppy
04-15-2014, 02:56 PM
I had the same exact pattern for many months as well. I did a little research and found a paper published by a gynecologist about the patterns of our hormones and how our metabolism changes as certain chemicals are turned off and on in our bodies as we go through our normal cycle.
I was liking it was liked to hormones somehow.... Drat being a girl!!

wildirishrose
04-15-2014, 03:22 PM
I don't even have a scale at home for that reason. I knew I would want to get on it all the time and stress over it. Now, I just go to my clinic on Sat. to weigh in knowing I've been OP all week.

Yes, the only "scale" I have is my wii fit board!! This was at the clinic. After coming here and just laying it all out I feel 110% better! I was down -2.5 inches. Which is low for me but I was constipated and I suspect I'm close to TOM. I haven't spotted for a long time which is odd. I've been spotting pretty much every week since starting!!

ems70508
04-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Went for my annual physical today. Told my doc about Ideal Protein. She was not as supportive as I would have hoped. She was glad I was loosing weight, but her main comment was "I don't see how eating protein packets is sustainable in the long run". I tried to explain about the protocol but I could tell she had lost interest. :( Oh well. When I go back next year at my new incredible maintained weight, maybe then she will pay attention.

On another note, NSV in my closet this morning. Two pairs of dress pants are too big! My work wardrobe is shrinking...just like me! :carrot:

When I was 16, I had my gall bladder taken out. They diagnosed me with IBS and put me on a pill for it. I didn't want to take the pill so... I didn't. I also never experienced a symptom of IBS after the surgery. The pill? Pointless. Who knows what it was doing to me. I can say the same thing happened with metfornin (for PCOS). I stopped taking it and didn't notice a difference.

The only pill that I've religiously stuck to (for PCOS) was birth control. It has truly made a difference.

In January, my doctor was impressed with my losses but also made the remark in a negative tone "you still have quite a ways to go". THANKS DOC. She also did blood work and didn't like some of my results (testosterone levels) so she sent me to see an endocrinologist. After he reviewed my paperwork (and I paid the co-pay) he told me he was comfortable with my testosterone levels but if I wasn't I could take blood pressure meds to help! He said it blocks testosterone growth. If I wanted to get pregnant though, I would need to stop taking the meds because If I had a boy, he wouldn't have boy parts since I was blocking that growth with the medicine!!! I'm sorry, WHAT? No. How about instead of blocking, we figure out why i'm having the problem!

I fear what our medical industry is becoming. So many people are overweight and in turn, health problems. People on IP have made a drastic lifestyle change. Because IP works and because we can maintain and learn a healthy lifestyle for forever, we are no longer dependent on our doctors for meds. They don't make as much money. If everyone was healthy, the medical industry would not be as wealthy as it is. That's my opinion. And it may be exaggerated but every time I go to the doctor, they try to sign me up for another dang pill!!!

Do not let your doctor deter you. You don't need her to tell you what makes you happy, healthy and comfortable. If she isn't supportive when you go back, find another one. There are good ones out there, it just takes trial and error in finding them!

65X65
04-15-2014, 04:51 PM
When I was 16, I had my gall bladder taken out. They diagnosed me with IBS and put me on a pill for it. I didn't want to take the pill so... I didn't. I also never experienced a symptom of IBS after the surgery. The pill? Pointless. Who knows what it was doing to me. I can say the same thing happened with metfornin (for PCOS). I stopped taking it and didn't notice a difference.

The only pill that I've religiously stuck to (for PCOS) was birth control. It has truly made a difference.

In January, my doctor was impressed with my losses but also made the remark in a negative tone "you still have quite a ways to go". THANKS DOC. She also did blood work and didn't like some of my results (testosterone levels) so she sent me to see an endocrinologist. After he reviewed my paperwork (and I paid the co-pay) he told me he was comfortable with my testosterone levels but if I wasn't I could take blood pressure meds to help! He said it blocks testosterone growth. If I wanted to get pregnant though, I would need to stop taking the meds because If I had a boy, he wouldn't have boy parts since I was blocking that growth with the medicine!!! I'm sorry, WHAT? No. How about instead of blocking, we figure out why i'm having the problem!

I fear what our medical industry is becoming. So many people are overweight and in turn, health problems. People on IP have made a drastic lifestyle change. Because IP works and because we can maintain and learn a healthy lifestyle for forever, we are no longer dependent on our doctors for meds. They don't make as much money. If everyone was healthy, the medical industry would not be as wealthy as it is. That's my opinion. And it may be exaggerated but every time I go to the doctor, they try to sign me up for another dang pill!!!

Do not let your doctor deter you. You don't need her to tell you what makes you happy, healthy and comfortable. If she isn't supportive when you go back, find another one. There are good ones out there, it just takes trial and error in finding them!

Good advice to finding another one...There ARE docs who support this kind of diet. They are of the mind anything to get the weight off...and get blood work normalized...quickly. ...Mine was great. I set up an 40 minute appointment SPECIFICALLY to discuss this diet, and nothing else..(receptionist told me my ins might not cover it...I told her that was OK...I'll pay for it. ) When I went in I had been on it over 2 months and had lost about 25 lbs already. I took everything from the program I had in with me...including my vitamins ...my weekly weight charts and graphs (which I had made myself) and the weekly measurements...And asked her to do labwork after we talked and she had time to review it all, which she agreed was what she wanted to do. We repeated the visit and all blood work 6 months later. She was impressed. I had hit goal (and was a pinch under)...Her grin said it all...almost. Her parting words to me were...

"I'm going home and put my husband on this..."

So go find you a doc that wants to do it herself....( my radiologist at my yearly mamogram last month)..or wants to put her husband on it!!!

catlady1981
04-15-2014, 04:54 PM
johnsdeere: Thanks. And congrats to you for size 14's. :cp:That is my next size down and I'm excited to get there. It's been a long time.

ems70508: You are right about Dr's. Up to this point she has been very supportive about my weight loss efforts because I was doing what she wanted me to do. But.. she is more geared toward conventional approaches - balanced diet and chronic cardio. She even said that today "I support a balanced approach to weight loss". What she was really saying is that she didn't approve of what I was doing. I know "balanced" doesn't work for me. I've tried it and got nowhere. IP is the first thing that has worked for me in a long time. At one point she got up and opened the door to the examining room to tell her assistant something while I was telling her about the diet. Rude! She has never done anything like that before. At that point I just stopped talking about it and we got on with the rest of the physical.

I've long been a proponent of treat the cause, not the symptoms. The medical profession is disappointing in this regard. A pill will not fix everything. I'll just keep plugging along and loose the weight. I feel good about what I am doing for my health and really...that's all that counts.

ReenHag
04-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Reenhag- working during vacation, now that does not seem quite fair :( I am doing a lot of vegging. After that cold/flu a couple weeks ago, testing and a bunch of other school responsibilities- I am tired. The weather here was good for about an hour yesterday, now we are back to cold and rain. Nice excuse to pajama it :D

I kmow, I know. I was really tossed up about the idea of taking a course during break. I need some time to veg, but I also need this class! I want options in my life! As for my PT job, it is actually a good time and only comes about once every few weeks, although it might change to once a week. I run pub trivia in a local bar.

I am sorry about your weather. Ours is yucky today, too. Enjoy your veg time and rest up!

i do the same thing to my son who is 10. He will ask all the time for junk food when we go grocery shopping. I tell him if he can pronounce the ingredients on what he wants and knows what they are -- he can have it. lol.. kiddo figured it out its nothing but a bunch of chemicals. :)

I love these responses! Teaching our kids about what they are putting into their bodies is so important. Way to go, moms!

So sorry to hear this. I echo the sentiments of others- look for a more supportive doc. And comgrats on the shrinking wardrobe!!

Agreed! Big pharma is way too big! Docs can be one way or the other, but big pharma and big agri have too much invested, much to the detriment of the general public. It is more important than ever to be informed and attentive.

drd1961
04-15-2014, 05:08 PM
http://cathe.com/what-role-does-protein-play-in-weight-loss
http://cathe.com/5-common-cardiovascular-training-mistakes-to-avoid

LakeLover
04-15-2014, 05:48 PM
johnsdeere: Thanks. And congrats to you for size 14's. :cp:That is my next size down and I'm excited to get there. It's been a long time.

ems70508: You are right about Dr's. Up to this point she has been very supportive about my weight loss efforts because I was doing what she wanted me to do. But.. she is more geared toward conventional approaches - balanced diet and chronic cardio. She even said that today "I support a balanced approach to weight loss". What she was really saying is that she didn't approve of what I was doing. I know "balanced" doesn't work for me. I've tried it and got nowhere. IP is the first thing that has worked for me in a long time. At one point she got up and opened the door to the examining room to tell her assistant something while I was telling her about the diet. Rude! She has never done anything like that before. At that point I just stopped talking about it and we got on with the rest of the physical.

I've long been a proponent of treat the cause, not the symptoms. The medical profession is disappointing in this regard. A pill will not fix everything. I'll just keep plugging along and loose the weight. I feel good about what I am doing for my health and really...that's all that counts.

catlady, you are echoing my feelings. "Balanced" doesn't work for me, WW doesn't work, I was on Qsymia (weight loss drug) that didn't work, and I've even done Optifast through a doctor's office and couldn't lose more than 40 pounds, stalled at 179. This is working, I feel great, and even though I had pretty major surgery two weeks ago, everyone I've seen is amazed at how I look (and I've just gotten started). This is working for me, and until it doesn't, I'm a convert.

AmberLS
04-15-2014, 06:09 PM
It snowed here. >.< I know I know I live in Michigan, but IT'S APRIL. Common! I just want to wear flip flops and not freeze. Is that so much to ask?!

LOL it snowed here yesterday and the day before, it's Spring in Wyoming, today was about 60 before the wind picked up. It only takes about the 50's here for us to be excited lol

Slipfree
04-15-2014, 06:16 PM
I too, have been on a lot of weight loss plans before, with varying degrees of success. But...I have never been as committed to following the plan before. I think that it has to do with a number of things. On IP:
I have learned to distinguish between real hunger and cravings.

On IP there are not a lot of convenient food options, so I have learned to plan and prepare ahead of time.

I have started to cook every single night using unprocessed foods as a basis for the meals.

My coach encouraged light physical activity.

I am now off blood pressure medication.

Even when I have hit weight "slowdowns", I have focused on the protocol.

I have increased my daily water consumption.

I have eaten more vegetables in the past 6 months than I had in years.

I have lost 79 pounds since last June (66 on IP Oct. Start)

Now my question is: How on earth can a Doctor find fault with IP?

ChipnDip
04-15-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm lucky. It is my doctor selling it to me! I never ate vegetables before this. Even when they were free for WW. Now I am learning how important they are and how to incorporate them into my meals. I am determined to learn a new way to eat going forward.

Lots of doctors out there, all with their own ideas. That is why there are second opinions!

Keep doing what works for you.

AmberLS
04-15-2014, 07:20 PM
I know it has to be TOM or something but I am having these near slip moments today, honestly I haven't really had any problems, I didn't have to clean my house of all the food I just don't eat it, but twice now today I contemplated that one fruit snack (not the bag just one out of my kids) and one cheeto won't hurt what's one going to do... now this is what I literally just thought in my head as I picked up the bags off the counter to put them away while making my lemon water. I DIDN'T do it which I know is the important part but for me I want to know why the sudden complacency in my head... for 8 weeks I've told myself, one is one too many, one leads to more and maybe it takes just one carb or one gram of real sugar and junk to kick me out of ketosis and I don't want to lose 4 days to get back into the system.. one cheat in my head equates 4 lost days, one day of cheats makes a week of make up! It was a strange thought, I put everything down and left the kitchen, came immediately to my computer for a moment of regroup. It was like there was an alternate me in my head, the little devil on my shoulder, where the he$% did she come from? LOL

Ruth Ann
04-15-2014, 07:26 PM
I know it has to be TOM or something but I am having these near slip moments today, honestly I haven't really had any problems, I didn't have to clean my house of all the food I just don't eat it, but twice now today I contemplated that one fruit snack (not the bag just one out of my kids) and one cheeto won't hurt what's one going to do... now this is what I literally just thought in my head as I picked up the bags off the counter to put them away while making my lemon water. I DIDN'T do it which I know is the important part but for me I want to know why the sudden complacency in my head... for 8 weeks I've told myself, one is one too many, one leads to more and maybe it takes just one carb or one gram of real sugar and junk to kick me out of ketosis and I don't want to lose 4 days to get back into the system.. one cheat in my head equates 4 lost days, one day of cheats makes a week of make up! It was a strange thought, I put everything down and left the kitchen, came immediately to my computer for a moment of regroup. It was like there was an alternate me in my head, the little devil on my shoulder, where the he$% did she come from? LOL

Do what I do Amber - drown the little b**ch with more water! :D Seriously though - some days are just like that. I still get them and I think it's part of training ourselves to think before we eat. As I get closer to maintenance I keep thinking - would just one hurt? Don't know where it's coming from but I'm proud of both of us for not giving in.

SylviesGirl
04-15-2014, 07:29 PM

When I took this plan and its protocols to my endocrinologist, he took the papers and, without looking at them, piled them on top of a pile of papers on the corner of his desk. We both knew he would never look at them. Then he handed me The South Beach Diet and refused to discuss it any further. To say I was frustrated would be an understatement. Won't he be surprised when I come breezing into his office in June! Living well is the best revenge. :D You'll show your doc . . . if you decide to stay with her.

ChipnDip
04-15-2014, 07:34 PM
http://cathe.com/what-role-does-protein-play-in-weight-loss
http://cathe.com/5-common-cardiovascular-training-mistakes-to-avoid

I was reading the first article and it mentioned that increased protein can be stressful to kidneys if you have already had kidney disease but it also mentions kidney stones. I have had stones 3 times, twice in the last 6 years. The last time I ended up with laser surgery to blast a 10 mm stone. I don't want to have to go through that again.

Anyone ever had kidney stone issues before or during IP?

drd1961
04-15-2014, 07:44 PM
I was reading the first article and it mentioned that increased protein can be stressful to kidneys if you have already had kidney disease but it also mentions kidney stones. I have had stones 3 times, twice in the last 6 years. The last time I ended up with laser surgery to blast a 10 mm stone. I don't want to have to go through that again.

Anyone ever had kidney stone issues before or during IP?

I think one thing to remember is that IP is a moderate protein diet, not a high protein diet. I cannot answer about the stones. I am not prone to them.

Slipfree
04-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Amber, I call that the cravings monster. It shows up periodically. You did exactly the right thing by walking away and seeking support. I agree with Ruth Ann, drowned it. I usually turn to hot tea that is a little sweet. Good luck and stay strong.

bluegingham
04-15-2014, 07:55 PM

First, congratulations!!! :dust:

When I am in those situations and I have politely declined the item(s) that are not OP, I truly feel that I am in control of the situation. I am making these positive decisions for my future self and all of my future experiences that I am working so hard to make my reality!

lisa32989
04-15-2014, 08:07 PM

I've started going to functional medicine doctors, naturopaths, and/or integrative medicine docs. They actually look for CAUSE and don't just treat symptoms. We're currently working on the cause of my thyroid issues

Do what I do Amber - drown the little b**ch with more water! :D Seriously though - some days are just like that. I still get them and I think it's part of training ourselves to think before we eat. As I get closer to maintenance I keep thinking - would just one hurt? Don't know where it's coming from but I'm proud of both of us for not giving in.
Lol. I drowned her in hot tea after work tonite. It worked!

When I took this plan and its protocols to my endocrinologist, he took the papers and, without looking at them, piled them on top of a pile of papers on the corner of his desk. We both knew he would never look at them. Then he handed me The South Beach Diet and refused to discuss it any further. To say I was frustrated would be an understatement. Won't he be surprised when I come breezing into his office in June! Living well is the best revenge. :D You'll show your doc . . . if you decide to stay with her. my doc said I didn't need the packets...that it could be done with real food. My response: "how was that working for me?"
Oh, and finding a new doc

MellyIP
04-15-2014, 08:21 PM
So I have to admit, I did have a little cry after my weigh in today. Yes my weight went down two pounds, but all of my inches went significantly up. My coach kept going through my journal to try and find a cause but I've been doing everything 100%. My water was also very high at 6.67. For some reason I'm very swollen. I haven't had a large amount of salt and TOM is nowhere near so I am concerned. My coach also told me to try adding a restricted this week to see if it will give my weight loss a jolt. I already feel guilty just looking at the it! Hopefully things are better next week!

pishposhappelsauce
04-15-2014, 08:36 PM
But.. she is more geared toward conventional approaches - balanced diet and chronic cardio. She even said that today "I support a balanced approach to weight loss". What she was really saying is that she didn't approve of what I was doing. I know "balanced" doesn't work for me. I've tried it and got nowhere. IP is the first thing that has worked for me in a long time. At one point she got up and opened the door to the examining room to tell her assistant something while I was telling her about the diet. Rude! She has never done anything like that before. At that point I just stopped talking about it and we got on with the rest of the physical.

catlady, I'm the exact same way re 'balanced' diets. Tried it, just maintain--I've been the same weight for the last 5 years. I really think it's different for everyone, there is no one "right way," as long as you are not doing something seriously detrimental to your body. Some people are work out maniacs...great! I envy that and wish I had that stamina. Some people really thrive on WW or other programs. Some people give up soda and they lose 20 pounds overnight. To each their own. As long as you can stick with something through to your goal, maintain, be healthy, then I'm for it. Sorry your doctor was rude, it took me a long time to find one I like and who I feel like I can connect with.

Had my first WI today...down 6.2 pounds! :cool: Also lost an inch in my thighs, which my coach said is often difficult spot to lose, so yay!

NSV for week 1 would be that I didn't have any headaches or anything and was able to quell my hunger pangs with water and tea. I've been the most hungry today, but I think that's because I got my TOM a week early. I'm almost happy about that though since it's a sign I'm burning fat. :carrot:

Sidenote, I think it's hilarious that a lot of you seem to be getting your TOM at the same time. Does the same theory about women who live together synching their cycles apply to people hanging out together online?

Got a bunch more food today, so I'm excited for week 2! Question...has anyone tried the soy puffs with milk? I'm thinking of using my daily allotment for skim milk to make a cereal out of the apple cinnamon soy puffs, but they seem really delicate, like they might just disintegrate if they get wet.

Slipfree
04-15-2014, 09:16 PM
So I have to admit, I did have a little cry after my weigh in today. Yes my weight went down two pounds, but all of my inches went significantly up. My coach kept going through my journal to try and find a cause but I've been doing everything 100%. My water was also very high at 6.67. For some reason I'm very swollen. I haven't had a large amount of salt and TOM is nowhere near so I am concerned. My coach also told me to try adding a restricted this week to see if it will give my weight loss a jolt. I already feel guilty just looking at the it! Hopefully things are better next week!

Melly, I have had a major problem with water retention since Jan.( after 3 months on IP) Had a bunch of medical tests(heart, thyroid, kidney) all came up clear. After an exhaustive search, We found a list of FAQs on the IP web site that said some people may have water retention in their extremities due to an imbalance of hormones. Hope this information is some help to you.

MellyIP
04-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Thank you Slipfree!! I'm definitely going to do a little bit of research as well. My coach said I should be around a 1 but I'm always way higher - would anyone care to share what their hydration level usually is?

3sisters
04-15-2014, 09:20 PM
OK, a little embarrassed to admit/ask this so early on (just (re)started yesterday!) but I have this pattern of behavior that I am not PLANNING on happening again, but realistically, I'm just AFRAID it will and I want to try to head it off and be prepared! I find I am so impatient.....I want to be down 10lbs already, and be at goal next week! LOL :) Seriously, though, this has always been my diet demise......I start to get impatient and discouraged, feel I'm not progressing as fast as I think I should, or I know I won't be down the xx number of lbs I wanted to be at some upcoming event, and I end up sabotaging myself and giving up. I do NOT want to do that this time! I am SO impressed, and encouraged, by seeing the level of commitment and such awesome results you all are having! What tactics do you use or have you used in the past, what self-talk do you employ, to keep that devil of doubt at bay? I've been saying the Serenity Prayer to myself over and over, and that seems to help me ("courage to change the things I can..."), as long as I can keep focused on that. Any other words of wisdom?

Slipfree
04-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Melly, sorry, I never look at the paper. My hydration level has always been good, because the coach comments on it. Hey, I noticed that you are having issues with the C, that can cause water retention too.

MellyIP
04-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Yes I am hoping that is a huge part of it. I was told senekot can make it worse so I won't take that for relief again. I'm going to wait another week before spending the money on buying something from my coach. Been chugging water all night hoping for results!

lisa32989
04-15-2014, 09:31 PM
OK, a little embarrassed to admit/ask this so early on (just (re)started yesterday!) but I have this pattern of behavior that I am not PLANNING on happening again, but realistically, I'm just AFRAID it will and I want to try to head it off and be prepared! I find I am so impatient.....I want to be down 10lbs already, and be at goal next week! LOL :) Seriously, though, this has always been my diet demise......I start to get impatient and discouraged, feel I'm not progressing as fast as I think I should, or I know I won't be down the xx number of lbs I wanted to be at some upcoming event, and I end up sabotaging myself and giving up. I do NOT want to do that this time! I am SO impressed, and encouraged, by seeing the level of commitment and such awesome results you all are having! What tactics do you use or have you used in the past, what self-talk do you employ, to keep that devil of doubt at bay? I've been saying the Serenity Prayer to myself over and over, and that seems to help me ("courage to change the things I can..."), as long as I can keep focused on that. Any other words of wisdom?
Beck Diet Solution!

3sisters
04-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Beck Diet Solution!

Thanks, I think I'll download that on my Kindle right now!

Jenny38
04-15-2014, 09:49 PM

Catlady, that's to bad your dr wasn't more supportive if IP. I agree with Lisa, if you aren't getting the right support at your next visit get a new dr. Congratulations on needing smaller dress pants:carrot:

Johnsdeere - way to go on the size 14's!

Ruthann. Lol at your comment about drowning the hunger. I'm going to start thinking that and drinking more water.

I snowed here today! I'm ready to move down South. My DH is travelling for work again this week but our nanny is back from holiday so the week doesn't seem so stressful. I'm going to start running outside in May, I ca. Do bout 5k on the treadmill. But want to try out side and do a 10 k this September.

3sisters
04-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks, I think I'll download that on my Kindle right now!

All I can seem to find is "The Four-Day Win: End Your Diet War and Achieve Thinner Peace" by Martha Beck. Is that it?

AmberLS
04-15-2014, 09:56 PM

I completely just left the room, I was preparing my water for yoga class (I like to add lemon and a little truvia once in awhile). So I just left the kitchen, went back in grabbed the water and left for yoga. Funny thing is I didn't get the cheeto's put away and my dog got into them and ate the whole bag. I think it's funny cause he doesn't usually do that stuff and I don't even like cheeto's I mean if I were to ever cheat I don't think it would be with a nasty cheeto... lol give me a gummy bear or something! The fruit snack was more realistic to my style, I like gummy stuff. But yoga is over had a nice buffalo chicken salad for dinner and now I am stuffed.

AmberLS
04-15-2014, 10:04 PM
catlady, I'm the exact same way re 'balanced' diets. Tried it, just maintain--I've been the same weight for the last 5 years. I really think it's different for everyone, there is no one "right way," as long as you are not doing something seriously detrimental to your body. Some people are work out maniacs...great! I envy that and wish I had that stamina. Some people really thrive on WW or other programs. Some people give up soda and they lose 20 pounds overnight. To each their own. As long as you can stick with something through to your goal, maintain, be healthy, then I'm for it. Sorry your doctor was rude, it took me a long time to find one I like and who I feel like I can connect with.

Had my first WI today...down 6.2 pounds! :cool: Also lost an inch in my thighs, which my coach said is often difficult spot to lose, so yay!

NSV for week 1 would be that I didn't have any headaches or anything and was able to quell my hunger pangs with water and tea. I've been the most hungry today, but I think that's because I got my TOM a week early. I'm almost happy about that though since it's a sign I'm burning fat. :carrot:

Sidenote, I think it's hilarious that a lot of you seem to be getting your TOM at the same time. Does the same theory about women who live together synching their cycles apply to people hanging out together online?

Got a bunch more food today, so I'm excited for week 2! Question...has anyone tried the soy puffs with milk? I'm thinking of using my daily allotment for skim milk to make a cereal out of the apple cinnamon soy puffs, but they seem really delicate, like they might just disintegrate if they get wet.

Good job on your first week!!! It's a breeze after that (most of the time lol) As for the syncing cycles I just get to have my cycle every other week now! Oh the joy of IP lol

AmberLS
04-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Thank you Slipfree!! I'm definitely going to do a little bit of research as well. My coach said I should be around a 1 but I'm always way higher - would anyone care to share what their hydration level usually is?

My coach said a healthy hydration level is between 1-3 when I started IP I was a 12 he said that is prediabetic. I am now a 4.1 as of Monday and my number has gone consistently down with my weight! I am darn near in healthy range. I have tried to research exactly what these numbers mean but I only find information about how much water we should drink and etc and I don't think they are related so to speak, if you are dehydrated I think you get negative numbers. I'm not sure though.

lisa32989
04-15-2014, 10:16 PM
All I can seem to find is "The Four-Day Win: End Your Diet War and Achieve Thinner Peace" by Martha Beck. Is that it?

Beck diet solution isn't available e-book
I got audio version & hard copies from amazon

AlaskaLadyie
04-15-2014, 10:37 PM

I sympathize catlady1981 ...After I had lost my first 60# I went to the Dr for a check up and he just gave a off handed complement of oh u have lost a few #'s... then went on with checking me over Blah I felt very non supported... but have NOT been back loosing weight and eating better food has kept me healthy so I have not needed the Dr yea ME... Great job on the clothes being to big

murphypuppy
04-15-2014, 10:44 PM

That feeling must be going around... I am craving pizza and beer like crazy - 1st time since I started this diet... Won't give in but my goodness! I really want to!

Myshylo
04-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Two months, 23.1 inches, almost 19 pounds. Considering my goal is 35 pounds and I have had a Vegas 40th Birthday vacation in there, I'm feeling awesome :) There have been a few cheats, I won't vouch for 100 percent, but I can't believe the amount of jeans I have gained in my closet since I started the gaining 3 years ago. Thank goodness I didn't throw them out! I can justify the cost of the program with the amount of clothes I can now wear again. I'm happy, getting healthy, and can't wait to start running and working out hard to keep this body! Congrats to all of the hard work and persistence that I've read. And Thank you to everyone who shares their story. It is help to all of us who had nearly given up….

lisa32989
04-16-2014, 07:10 AM
That feeling must be going around... I am craving pizza and beer like crazy - 1st time since I started this diet... Won't give in but my goodness! I really want to!

What do you want more?
THAT is the positive self-talk to use. For example: yes, xyz sound good and it feels like I really want it but I started this diet because ___ and my goal is ____. Eating xyz or drinking abc, won't help me get to my goal. Instead, I can plan ahead and make ____ for dinner which has a similar flavor and keeps me on track.

This is an approach the Beck Diet Solution teaches. I highly recommend the book or audio version

schenectady
04-16-2014, 10:20 AM
lisa - I have read Beck and he is very helpful but I think your suggestion of the book on audio is a great idea. I think that hearing the material may be a stronger reinforcement. I am going to check about getting that and listening while on the road between old house, interim house, building house which occupies a lot of time and energy these days.

Thank you, as always, for your great and supportive ideas.

(Added note - just ordered Audio CD from Amazon!)

Happydays123
04-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Good Morning IP peeps- I must say the Beck diet talk is really helpful because it's all a head game and to do this long term I need to continullay find new ways to talk to myself. For example I have been jogging for the last 20 years I took it up in my late 20's but I've always been a "HEAVY RUNNER " above 160. Now my new goal is I am not going to be a filly. Which means I am going to do a road race and be under 150 Lbs. so my speed will change when my thighs and rear end are not slowing me up! My NSV is today I got on the scale and I am out of the 170's ! Thanks for everyone sharing . I read you all everyday and it is so inspiring and helpful. Love IP !!

Chicnana
04-16-2014, 11:25 AM
First, congratulations!!! :dust:

When I am in those situations and I have politely declined the item(s) that are not OP, I truly feel that I am in control of the situation. I am making these positive decisions for my future self and all of my future experiences that I am working so hard to make my reality!

I have to say that I admire all of you who think this way... I still (after two months on this diet) feel deprived. I don't feel like superwoman, but rather like a child who didn't get what she wanted.... lol :^:

murphypuppy
04-16-2014, 11:43 AM
What do you want more?
THAT is the positive self-talk to use. For example: yes, xyz sound good and it feels like I really want it but I started this diet because ___ and my goal is ____. Eating xyz or drinking abc, won't help me get to my goal. Instead, I can plan ahead and make ____ for dinner which has a similar flavor and keeps me on track.

This is an approach the Beck Diet Solution teaches. I highly recommend the book or audio version
I will pick it up.... Thanks for the tip!! I won't give in to cravings because in the past, when I have, it's been the end of my diet. I really, really want this!

lisa32989
04-16-2014, 11:43 AM
lisa - I have read Beck and he is very helpful but I think your suggestion of the book on audio is a great idea. I think that hearing the material may be a stronger reinforcement. I am going to check about getting that and listening while on the road between old house, interim house, building house which occupies a lot of time and energy these days.

Thank you, as always, for your great and supportive ideas.

(Added note - just ordered Audio CD from Amazon!)
I downloaded the audio version to my phone and listen to a chapter per day every morning in the car on the way to work. When I get to the end, I just start over. Today I listened to Day 15.

I have to say that I admire all of you who think this way... I still (after two months on this diet) feel deprived. I don't feel like superwoman, but rather like a child who didn't get what she wanted.... lol :^:
The Beck Diet Solution is great at helping change mindset. The feeling of deprivation is what we create in our own minds.

I have said frequently that allowing the inner child to be in control of the food plan is what got me fat. The adult must be in charge. Children don't make good decisions!

AmberLS
04-16-2014, 11:45 AM

You have to think about it different or you'll always feel that way. One of these lovely people on here told me to remind myself that "all that stuff will still be there when you are not dieting" Holidays will happen again, for me gummy bears will always exist and hopefully I won't even like them when I'm done. Pizza will be there, it will all be there! Another great thing I heard on this site is : It's hard being overweight, it's hard dieting, it's hard maintaining, so pick your hard!

willsea
04-16-2014, 12:02 PM
ChipnDip: Your question yesterday was do do with kidney stones: Do you know what type of Kidney stones you are prone to (calcium or Uric acid)? Remember that article was for high protein diets, we are on a moderate. I personally am prone to Calcium stones , therefore over the years have known to watch my intake and drink a lot of water. I also am unwilling to take anything for constipation (Eg the smooth moves tea, or any laxative) as misuse and dependency on them may help form kidney stones (and I already know I am prone to them). Instead I make sure I have lots of natural fiber in my diet, and suffer along on days that it doesn’t work as well. Everyone is different; a lot of it listening to and understanding your own body.
I will tell you that I started IP a year ago, reached my goal, went on maintaince and now am back on IP to lose a little bit more, just because. The entire time I have had embedded stones, have had MRI’s and have not had more form, I am simply being monitored. So for me IP has not change/effected my stone formation.

Chicnana
04-16-2014, 01:01 PM
The Beck Diet Solution is great at helping change mindset. The feeling of deprivation is what we create in our own minds.

I have said frequently that allowing the inner child to be in control of the food plan is what got me fat. The adult must be in charge. Children don't make good decisions!

Yeah... I wanted to look into that book. I'll check it out!

And true that it is my inner-child crying-out (there are times when there is a whole conversation in my head, and then I pout and get angry at myself if I don't get what I want... but feel guilty when I give-in...lol) I definitely need to change that, because this is hard!! lol

Chicnana
04-16-2014, 01:02 PM
You have to think about it different or you'll always feel that way. One of these lovely people on here told me to remind myself that "all that stuff will still be there when you are not dieting" Holidays will happen again, for me gummy bears will always exist and hopefully I won't even like them when I'm done. Pizza will be there, it will all be there! Another great thing I heard on this site is : It's hard being overweight, it's hard dieting, it's hard maintaining, so pick your hard!

Yup! That is true!
It's all work in process for me... Thank you ladies!

sarahBell
04-16-2014, 01:49 PM
I have been looking all over tarnation and back for the elusive Café Caramel EAS shake and I FOUND it today!! They had them on sale for $4.99 per 4 pk at Cub foods!!! I bought 4 packs. I opened one up when I got and it is so freaking goood!!!!! this is a victory for me today!:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::car rot:

MellyIP
04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
That's great sarahbell
My NSV victory for today is walking by the Easter potluck at work. It smelled delicious but I brought a mint chocolate bar for lunch so I grabbed it from the fridge and b-lined to my desk. Walking by everyone was just awkward. But Yay for not cheating :) I don't trust anybody else to cook for me right now so I didn't even check to see if anything was OP

Tisado
04-16-2014, 02:30 PM
That's great sarahbell
My NSV victory for today is walking by the Easter potluck at work. It smelled delicious but I brought a mint chocolate bar for lunch so I grabbed it from the fridge and b-lined to my desk. Walking by everyone was just awkward. But Yay for not cheating :) I don't trust anybody else to cook for me right now so I didn't even check to see if anything was OP

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:
Spoken like a true member of Onederland.
Way to go gal!!

sarahBell
04-16-2014, 02:39 PM
That's great sarahbell

Thanks!! It may seem silly to celebrate something like that BUT this is awesome LOL.

Also I asked the pharmacist when they are getting more in- she said they will be in Friday and are on sale at that price until Saturday. She is going to hold 5 more pkgs for me to pick up Friday!!!

LakeLover
04-16-2014, 03:08 PM
I had my weigh-in today - down 19 pounds in about a month (I took 10 days off or so due to surgery, so even though it's a little more than a month, I've been on the program 4 weeks).

I'm so excited!

Tisado
04-16-2014, 03:11 PM
I had my weigh-in today - down 19 pounds in about a month (I took 10 days off or so due to surgery, so even though it's a little more than a month, I've been on the program 4 weeks).

I'm so excited!

Hey lady, welcome to Onederland. :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

sarahBell
04-16-2014, 03:12 PM

I'm so excited!

WHOO HOOO!!!

:broc: that is awesome!! Congrats!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

sweetharmony
04-16-2014, 03:30 PM

I'm so excited!

That's fantastic!!! Congrats!!!!:cp::bravo:

schenectady
04-16-2014, 04:35 PM

I'm so excited!

Welcome, Lakelover, to Onederland! An exciting place to be and a nice number to keep in mind so that one NEVER sees anything beginning with a "2" again?

I am about the same place as you, headed for about the same weight as you, even though my "goal" weight is actually higher.

Hang in there with such a fantastic start...

dak1lls
04-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Lakelover: congrats on your losses. It really is such a great feeling!

MellyIP: WTG on the Easter Potluck temptation. I was just having the discussion with my daughter that I am happy I don't work in a traditional office environment with all the food temptations. She works as a receptionist in a medical practice and is always telling me about the sweets, baked goods, and tons of food brought in, either by employees or by the medical reps who come in and pay for catered in food for the docs and their staff. My downfall has always been baked goods, so it would totally send me over the edge to be confronted with that all the time. You rock!

Schenectady: I so enjoy your posts and watching your progress. I remember reading all the things you have been going through since last year with your son and the house and I am so happy that you are doing well. Your weight loss is fantastic! I celebrate with you each time you have an NSV or a SV!

Chicnana: I so know where you are coming from! I remember feeling terribly sorry for myself in the beginning. Poor me, I can't have cake...cheese...etc...Yes, the foods will still be there when you hit goal. But there were a few things I just couldn't wait to have again and when I could, I really didn't want them anymore. And, the few things I indulged in really didn't taste as good as I remembered. I used to get a skinny vanilla latte every day from Starbucks...every single day. I missed those soooooo much! When I had one finally, it tasted really bad to me. What a let down. My tastes had changed so much. I now never drink them anymore and instead prefer black coffee or tea. Who knew?!

cschmandt
04-16-2014, 05:10 PM

I'm so excited!

That is so awesome!!!! You are doing such a good job!!!
Keep up the good work!!

:bravo::cp:

Cheryl

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-steps/fireworks01/lb/198/130/177.5/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

pishposhappelsauce
04-16-2014, 05:12 PM

I'm so excited!

Nice! Congrats!!

Yayalaine
04-16-2014, 06:10 PM
I have been looking all over tarnation and back for the elusive Café Caramel EAS shake and I FOUND it today!! They had them on sale for $4.99 per 4 pk at Cub foods!!! I bought 4 packs. I opened one up when I got and it is so freaking goood!!!!! this is a victory for me today!:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::car rot:

I've never seen that flavor for sale in my area, but have seen it online (I think). Is it a mocha/coffee flavor? I wondered because of the "cafe" in the name.

ems70508
04-16-2014, 06:19 PM

yay! that one is so good! I usually get mine at Wal Mart or Target. I notice that Wal Mart sticks to chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. Target had a choc mint one a while back and that is also where I can find the cafe carmel. I shop at a Super Target, so that may make a difference (over the regular targets!)

Down another pound today! I had gained an inch in my waist and then lost a percentage of body fat. That reaffirms that you can't let one measurement of your body affect your feelings on this program!! So much can change! I'm thrilled with my losses and ready to tackle this week! I feel like I haven't been focusing on meal prep lately and my measuring has gotten a little slacked. It makes a difference!

AmberLS
04-16-2014, 07:00 PM

That sounds delicious! I love caramel, I have not been a fan of the EAS shakes but maybe I'd like to try those, too bad I live in a small town Walmart only carries chocolate and vanilla.

ChipnDip
04-16-2014, 07:43 PM
ChipnDip: Your question yesterday was do do with kidney stones: Do you know what type of Kidney stones you are prone to (calcium or Uric acid)? Remember that article was for high protein diets, we are on a moderate. I personally am prone to Calcium stones , therefore over the years have known to watch my intake and drink a lot of water. I also am unwilling to take anything for constipation (Eg the smooth moves tea, or any laxative) as misuse and dependency on them may help form kidney stones (and I already know I am prone to them). Instead I make sure I have lots of natural fiber in my diet, and suffer along on days that it doesn’t work as well. Everyone is different; a lot of it listening to and understanding your own body.
I will tell you that I started IP a year ago, reached my goal, went on maintaince and now am back on IP to lose a little bit more, just because. The entire time I have had embedded stones, have had MRI’s and have not had more form, I am simply being monitored. So for me IP has not change/effected my stone formation.

Thanks! I just know I have very hard stones. My doc told me not to change my eating but that I had to drink enough water daily to flush my kidneys all the time. Before IP, even knowing that didn't work. Now I drink lots!

Yayalaine
04-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Extremely stressed today and know that tomorrow is going to be MUCH worse (due to some work issues). I knew that I needed to come straight home and did NOT stop at any stores. That would have been dangerous.

I just found myself digging in a kitchen cabinet looking for a restricted bar, but it's too early for that. I always save that for an evening snack. If I had one now, I'm afraid I would want another soon after. I've learned enough to know I'm not hungry... I'm just wanting to munch due to nerves/stress.

I've eaten my evening meal already and had a big salad. I'm not hungry... I can wait for my evening protein. I'm drinking a big glass of water. But, my mind is on wanting to eat something.

I've done too well to mess up now, especially for a temporary spike in nerves/anxiety! (So, I'm typing instead of eating! haha!):stress::stress:

ChipnDip
04-16-2014, 07:46 PM
I was very bad today with my preparation. I was out of clean lettuce, no salad veggies chopped. I took roasted red pepper purée to add to my soup only to forget my tomato soup at home! I didn't have time to run out and get anything either. I ended up eating celery and chocolate soy puffs. OP, but hardly proper eating for the whole day. I did have access to all sorts of bad choices but I just reminded myself that I would eat when I got home!

schenectady
04-16-2014, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=dak1lls;4985923]
Schenectady: I so enjoy your posts and watching your progress. I remember reading all the things you have been going through since last year with your son and the house and I am so happy that you are doing well. Your weight loss is fantastic! I celebrate with you each time you have an NSV or a SV!

dak1lls - you are one of the people who keeps me going! Things should be leveling off if I can keep my poor homesick puppy from digging her way to China in an attempt to escape every time I leave the house. The she tracks in all the black mud in which she has been digging, jumps on the leather sofa....worse than a kid. She is really working the guilt when I leave her. I understand but really?

I am holding my own and desperately looking to hit the -100 mark (not all on IP, but from my recent highest) and with luck that may be this week. That will be for me like entering Onederland - a big landmark weight which I will fight to never revisit.

MellyIP
04-16-2014, 08:03 PM
ChipnDip - Good for you for staying OP. And I've been there before too - sometimes I wish my work was closer to a grocery store so that I could run out quickly and get some more veggies. It's nice that we have a full kitchen so I'd be able to put something together.

lisa32989
04-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Extremely stressed today and know that tomorrow is going to be MUCH worse (due to some work issues). I knew that I needed to come straight home and did NOT stop at any stores. That would have been dangerous.

I just found myself digging in a kitchen cabinet looking for a restricted bar, but it's too early for that. I always save that for an evening snack. If I had one now, I'm afraid I would want another soon after. I've learned enough to know I'm not hungry... I'm just wanting to munch due to nerves/stress.

I've eaten my evening meal already and had a big salad. I'm not hungry... I can wait for my evening protein. I'm drinking a big glass of water. But, my mind is on wanting to eat something.

I've done too well to mess up now, especially for a temporary spike in nerves/anxiety! (So, I'm typing instead of eating! haha!):stress::stress:
What an awesome job of thinking it through and "journaling" instead of eating! This is how to stick to plan no matter what!!!
:bravo:

Indygal
04-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Very frustrated...I started IP diet on March 14. So far I've lost 14 lbs. Last week my loss was 1 lb. This week I feel so bloated and huge. According to my scale I've gained 3 lbs this week. My WI is tomorrow night and I don't want to go. I've stayed strictly on plan with no cheats. Didn't even lick my fingers when I made my husband fudge. I don't have periods anymore so I can't blame that. Help!! Is this normal?

SylviesGirl
04-16-2014, 08:47 PM

How's it going? How are you doing?? You are doing a GREAT thing by talking yourself through this difficult moment. Not only will you lose more weight as a result of what you are doing right now, but you are SO building your willpower-muscles. :strong: Way to go!!! Hang in . . . we're with you!

SylviesGirl
04-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Very frustrated...I started IP diet on March 14. So far I've lost 14 lbs. Last week my loss was 1 lb. This week I feel so bloated and huge. According to my scale I've gained 3 lbs this week. My WI is tomorrow night and I don't want to go. I've stayed strictly on plan with no cheats. Didn't even lick my fingers when I made my husband fudge. I don't have periods anymore so I can't blame that. Help!! Is this normal?

Okay, I have to say . . . 14 lbs in approx 4 weeks = approx 3 lbs, actually a bit more, per week. That is not a bad rate. KEEP WITH IT!! Weight loss is not linear, to quote a great poster from a while back. You know that saying, "It's always darkest before the dawn?" I find that to be very true on this plan. Just when you think it's not working or last week's loss was not what you were hoping for, bang!, a great loss happens. My advice: Shut down that inner voice that is badgering you right now. Just stop it in its tracks. Drink lots of water -- yes, you'll be up tonight visiting the bathroom, but that's okay . . . if you do have bloating, lots of water will help flush it out . . . and GO TO YOUR WEIGH IN. If you don't, you may be depriving yourself of the very shot of encouragement that you need and deserve right now. It is moments like these that decide whether you will be successful or not. Hold on and keep going . . . :hug:

ssdlturtle
04-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Just want to say you all are great. Stay in the background mostly and read, but you motive me all of you. Happy though that finally able to change my weight tracker. Hope you all have a great night. Keep doing what your doing. IP works which is so great, I have tried almost every diet out there also and this one works and I feel great.

smallerin2014
04-16-2014, 09:58 PM

So much of retraining our eating habits is mental more than physical. Good for you for recognizing that you were vulnerable because you are stressed out and that you did not stop at the store :carrot: You can do this!!! Keep up the good work one choice at a time!

BarbieBoston
04-16-2014, 10:01 PM
I find myself in a super busy time of year and craving choc...so all I am using is choc drink and raspberry jelly for a snack. Hope that doesn't set me up. Have all the veggies rinsed and ready. My 8 yr old exclaims with glee! Salad! Weirdo I mutter.

BarbieBoston
04-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Try hot tea in cinnamon or constant comment (decafe helps). Heated drinks Help with nerves and flavored satisfy appetite. Good for you in reading yourself and hanging in

smallerin2014
04-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Yeah... I wanted to look into that book. I'll check it out!

And true that it is my inner-child crying-out (there are times when there is a whole conversation in my head, and then I pout and get angry at myself if I don't get what I want... but feel guilty when I give-in...lol) I definitely need to change that, because this is hard!! lol

I learned about the Beck diet book from this site. It has been so helpful, especially when it comes to working through challenging times and addressing feeling deprived. It was well worth every penny!

sunflwr816
04-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Just popping in to say hi!

I somehow managed to get a 48hr stomach virus (oh the joys of pediatric nursing), and have barely been able to eat today. I drank 1L of "fruit flavored" Pedialyte to get in some fluids and 'lytes, hoping this won't knock me out of ketosis!

AmberLS
04-16-2014, 10:53 PM
So I have a behaviorally challenging 4 year old. We struggle, she was doing really good in preschool this year until January, now it's almost back to square one. It's hard for me because I am a teacher and I work in special education and many of my students are behaviorally challenging. I have all the tools and tricks of my trade at my disposal, I know all the ways to deal with these things, I have other experts as friends, yet I can't seem to manage with my own kid. It breaks my heart and it makes me want to pull my hair out at the same time. Today we had a total melt down while going to rent movies then pick up some steak for dinner. By total meltdown I mean kicking, screaming, hitting, at one point lying in the street of the strip mall, just a mess, when I got her in to safety it continued, we left the store with no movies and sat with her strapped into her seat for 45 minutes carrying on. It was almost a serious moment of weakness because after about 30 minutes my friend text me to say the walk was canceled they were going for a beer and I should come... a cocktail sounded so relaxing, an hour away from the struggle, forgetting that even though I am a professional I can not handle my own child. Would it make me feel better tomorrow, no, but thinking in the moment it was near disaster, she calmed down as I drove her to my moms, I needed a break. But as I pulled up I thought to myself if I go in there I'm not coming out till they drag me out, that's going to be a lot of calories, a hangover, probably be sick, and a week of IP lost... all I can say is at this moment the end of IP can't come soon enough.

Yayalaine
04-16-2014, 11:22 PM
What an awesome job of thinking it through and "journaling" instead of eating! This is how to stick to plan no matter what!!!
:bravo:

How's it going? How are you doing?? You are doing a GREAT thing by talking yourself through this difficult moment. Not only will you lose more weight as a result of what you are doing right now, but you are SO building your willpower-muscles. :strong: Way to go!!! Hang in . . . we're with you!

So much of retraining our eating habits is mental more than physical. Good for you for recognizing that you were vulnerable because you are stressed out and that you did not stop at the store :carrot: You can do this!!! Keep up the good work one choice at a time!

Try hot tea in cinnamon or constant comment (decafe helps). Heated drinks Help with nerves and flavored satisfy appetite. Good for you in reading yourself and hanging in

Thanks for the encouraging words! I DID hang in there, just finished my late evening restricted bar and stayed OP one more day. I know tomorrow will be tough, so my lunch is packed and my clothes are ironed. Water will be essential tomorrow, but I'll have to slow it down as the day goes on because I will be in an important late afternoon meeting (the source of much of the stress). I will not be able to get up and go to the bathroom a lot! :joker:

lisa32989
04-17-2014, 12:05 AM
So I have a behaviorally challenging 4 year old. We struggle, she was doing really good in preschool this year until January, now it's almost back to square one. It's hard for me because I am a teacher and I work in special education and many of my students are behaviorally challenging. I have all the tools and tricks of my trade at my disposal, I know all the ways to deal with these things, I have other experts as friends, yet I can't seem to manage with my own kid. It breaks my heart and it makes me want to pull my hair out at the same time. Today we had a total melt down while going to rent movies then pick up some steak for dinner. By total meltdown I mean kicking, screaming, hitting, at one point lying in the street of the strip mall, just a mess, when I got her in to safety it continued, we left the store with no movies and sat with her strapped into her seat for 45 minutes carrying on. It was almost a serious moment of weakness because after about 30 minutes my friend text me to say the walk was canceled they were going for a beer and I should come... a cocktail sounded so relaxing, an hour away from the struggle, forgetting that even though I am a professional I can not handle my own child. Would it make me feel better tomorrow, no, but thinking in the moment it was near disaster, she calmed down as I drove her to my moms, I needed a break. But as I pulled up I thought to myself if I go in there I'm not coming out till they drag me out, that's going to be a lot of calories, a hangover, probably be sick, and a week of IP lost... all I can say is at this moment the end of IP can't come soon enough.

Two things
1. IP P1 may end but monitoring our intake may not

2. I'm an early intervention specialist as well. You've probably told parents a zillion times that school is different than home. School (and managing students) is WAY more structured and home is more "open"....especially with all of the unexpecteds out in the community.

Just because your child had a melt-down (a big one it sounds like!) does not mean that you are unable to manage your child. It means that sometimes even the best strategies don't work. It means that a tired mom (who worked all day) may not have seen a setting event. It means that there are countless precipitating factors and environmental inputs that could have contributed to her behavior.

How many times at school has our whole "basket of tricks" not worked in a given situation? We do our best as professionals and parents do their best at home. And sometimes kids have tantrums. And many times parents are tired. And this is your child and sometimes it hurts. And it hurts more than it does when strategies don't work for a student b/c you just want her to be healthy and happy and it breaks your heart when she isn't. She's your baby and she's part of you. And sometimes you just want to be "mom" and not a professional.

And its okay. And I'm very sorry you had a tough evening.
What can you do for you that is relaxing? There are lots of things besides alcohol (it is just quick and easy).
A bubble bath? Some meditation or journaling? Stretching? Sit in the silence? Chamomile tea? Quiet music?

My friend who told me about IP told me I might want an Rx for Xanax for the tough days when a double martini sounds like the only solution. I never got it but I've used Bach Rescue Remedy many times. It seems to help, if only in my head.

Take care. I'm sure you're a great mom & you'll keep working on getting her the help she needs until you get it figured out.

lindalou1970
04-17-2014, 12:38 AM
Two things
1. IP P1 may end but monitoring our intake may not

2. I'm an early intervention specialist as well. You've probably told parents a zillion times that school is different than home. School (and managing students) is WAY more structured and home is more "open"....especially with all of the unexpecteds out in the community.

Just because your child had a melt-down (a big one it sounds like!) does not mean that you are unable to manage your child. It means that sometimes even the best strategies don't work. It means that a tired mom (who worked all day) may not have seen a setting event. It means that there are countless precipitating factors and environmental inputs that could have contributed to her behavior.

How many times at school has our whole "basket of tricks" not worked in a given situation? We do our best as professionals and parents do their best at home. And sometimes kids have tantrums. And many times parents are tired. And this is your child and sometimes it hurts. And it hurts more than it does when strategies don't work for a student b/c you just want her to be healthy and happy and it breaks your heart when she isn't. She's your baby and she's part of you. And sometimes you just want to be "mom" and not a professional.

And its okay. And I'm very sorry you had a tough evening.
What can you do for you that is relaxing? There are lots of things besides alcohol (it is just quick and easy).
A bubble bath? Some meditation or journaling? Stretching? Sit in the silence? Chamomile tea? Quiet music?

My friend who told me about IP told me I might want an Rx for Xanax for the tough days when a double martini sounds like the only solution. I never got it but I've used Bach Rescue Remedy many times. It seems to help, if only in my head.

Take care. I'm sure you're a great mom & you'll kee
p working on getting her the help she needs until you get it figured out.

That was a very thoughtful and encouraging response. I think we as parents are too hard on ourselves and if we make mistakes in parenting we need to know it's ok to aknowledge them and appologize to our children. It shows them that everyone makes mistakes and you take ownersip of them and try and correct them.

Hang in there!

Deana509
04-17-2014, 03:29 AM
Stress of finishing up the school year (and my degree!) are killing me, and all my progress! I am in a stall this last week and this week.... Probably from the lack of sleep, and the gallons of coffee I keep drinking... Thank goodness I graduate in 23 days!