Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #77

Good morning gals. Boy it was wonderfully warm here yesterday. I had all the fans going in the living room. I am trying not to start up the AC units until I have to. I found out our new smart meters will not be going until October. I wonder how they read them now though?

Today is commissary day and except for it being windy, it will be beautiful here again, high 70's. We will have no rain to deal with for once.

I got my earring yesterday and they were all cute. I do have to figure out what to do for the bead scarf though as the head pins aren't long enough to put the whole thing on. I will figure something out. I may just get beading wire and to it. I did string my bracelet on the bangle and really like it. I can't make anymore as I have no colors or combinations to make. They are fun to wear though and I get a lot of compliments on them.

Jean: Sounds like you are still kind of chilly weather wise. I always wonder why people think they are better than other people. I mean, no matter whether you are the president, the queen, or a ditch digger, you put your clothes on the same way so to speak. Wonder why his has a burr in his saddle? Your grandchildren sound so sweet. Comes from good parenting that they have a "social" mind. One thing I love about Kelly and Tom is that they instilled charity into Thomas. I think they carry it too far as they are ultra liberals, but giving is a big thing at their house. It is probably from Kelly working at St Judes too.

Well, I am going to sit and knit on my wrap. I am going to be getting some yarn tomorrow so I can make my best friend a pair of footies for her birthday. Last time I saw her she specifically asked me if I could make her a pair to wear in the house. I am making a gray foot with a pink band around the ankle area. They will show less dirt that way, but I am using sock yarn so they are more like footies and less like slippers. You all have a great day today. I bought a pattern for a sweater for our next cruise and am contemplating the yarn. I am going to lengthen it as it is a top down knit, which I have never done before, but supposedly isn't difficult. This would be for a formal night. We are skipping a year and then taking an 11 day cruise. Here is the pattern and the yarn. Hold onto your hat. The gorgeous gold yarn, which is silk and has beads on it is going to cost me $300, but Jack said to go ahead so who am I to disagree! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pullover.jpg (58.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg beadedyarn.jpg (32.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by gma22; 04-13-2014 at 07:15 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon! We have rain! Yay! It makes for a gloomy day but we need the moisture badly. We played bells at first service and I did a lot of "Hail Marys" beforehand. It was a long piece and I had made copies of parts of pages because I had to play as soon as the pages turned -- just a little tricky when ringing and then using the mallets without missing a beat. I taped the hunks together and had quite a mess in my notebook which I had to untape afterwards because the music goes into folders in a file. I personally hope she loses this piece! I should do something constructive but have no ambition this afternoon. I think I spent all my energy worrying about the bell performance this morning. I just noticed the temperature has dropped; it was 46 on our way home this morning and now it's 32. Snow? I hope not!

"Gma" -- I need to do a major cleaning job on my ceiling fans before I can turn them on! The way it feels today it will be awhile. I'd like to see the bead scarf when you get it done. Have fun! There was just a quote on FB (Einstein?) about treating people with respect whether they are the president or the janitor of the company. The custodians were so good about helping me as I called them by name, said please and thank you, etc. to me that is just good manners. What does top down knit mean? The pattern is very pretty and the yarn is gorgeous!

Guess I will read the papers. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #3  

Good morning gals. It is cooler and rainy today and supposed to frost overnight and get down into the 30's overnight so back to more blankets and socks to keep my feet warm I guess. I should only last a couple days though so guess I can put up with it.

I am heading upstairs to clean the upstairs and put away clothes from yesterday's laundry do up. Seems like there is always something to do around here. I am hoping warm, not hot, weather over the weekend with no rain from Wednesday on so we can get our jungle of a deck cleaned up. It is an awful mess, but every time we made plans to work on it, we either had inclement weather on the weekend or for days before so that the leaves were soaked and couldn't be blown out. I am dreading it, but it has to be done as it is a total mess back there.

I have about a foot or so of wrap to knit then I can finish it up. I should get the little bit of extra yarn I need for my girlfriend's footies today so I can get those made. Her birthday is next month and I made her a purple hat and scarf, the footies and am giving her a restaurant gift card since their income is so limited now they can't afford to go out to eat. I thought they might enjoy it and if they are careful, might even get two nights out of it.

Jean: Well I am glad you didn't have a total screw up with your playing. When I used to sing at church no matter how well I knew the song, I would panic about being able to see the music and lyrics while up front. I used to copy them to a bigger font just in case. A top down sweater is just that. You cast on and knit from the shoulders down on circular needles so the sweater has no seams at all and in this case you actually knit the little sleeves right onto the piece instead of separately. That should be interesting as I have never done either before and of course directions are backwards for me so I will have to be careful I don't put the sleeve in upside down. I am rethinking the pearl yarn since it is a sweater and all in one piece. You will end up with pearls under the armpits possible, and such and it be uncomfortable. What I may do is buy a hank of the same yarn and color without the embellishments and put the sleeves in with just the regular yarn then go back to knitting the rest of the sweater with the beaded yarn. Have to think about it.

Gals you all have a good start to your week. Faye
Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN APRIL MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I don’t even know why I read the news for it certainly isn’t uplifting.

However, YIPEKIO I am down a pound after all this gaining I have been doing of late. I have got to get back to writing what I bite for I have been very lax in that department of my program and it is one of the main things for me to do if I expect to lose. This is a definitely a good day to get back to it ~ 4-14-14. Here is my list of things I need to re-visit ~

Checkup Questions
How did I use my PointPlus values?
Did I get at least 10 minutes of activity?
How did I handle unexpected food events?
Tracking-did I remember everything?
How often did I think about my goals for weight and otherwise?
How careful was I about portions and servings?
Did I plan for what happened yesterday?
How did my snacking choices work out?
Were there any emotional challenges to contend with?
Did I use my weekly PointsPlus Allowance?
How did my frame of mind affect how I followed the plan?
Did I choose Weight Watchers Power Foods as often as possible?
How did I feel about my level of activity?

JEAN Rain, wonderful needed rain ~ let it come for the earth is thirsty. Nothing saying you can't make your bell playing easier for you to be in the right place even if you have to "personalize" the score.

DONNA FAYE I am confident that you will get that gorgeous scarf figured out and beautifully made. Your friend will surely enjoy all the nice things you are giving her.

Always remember ~ Never, ever, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 04-14-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, the bird bath froze because Bob unplugged the heater, and it's cold outside! The weatherman blessed us with a couple inches of snow late yesterday afternoon. We had more than the "usual" to count this morning and ended up $2.00 long. Never did find it so added it to the offering total and called it good. I just finished the gift shop money and need to head off to the bank and then pick up my meds.

"Gma" -- I had folded one of the blankets down to the foot of the bed Saturday night; it came back up last night! Such crazy weather! The snow is melting again but the corn was frozen to the deck this morning and the squirrels weren't quite sure about that. I'm sure your friend will appreciate and enjoy her birthday gifts.

Maggie -- on another pound gone! You have a thoughtful list of questions to think about! I won't complain about the rain. Everyone is so tired of winter weather. It seems like it has been so much more windy which makes it even colder.

I need to head to the bank. Hope you all enjoy a nice rest of the day!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #6  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it's 16 degrees this morning! Crazy! I need to do some serious cleaning this morning. We will leave after lunch for Sioux Falls and Zowie's "spring" concert tonight.This will be her first "official" performance after being dragged to all of Ian's activities. We are meeting for pizza before the concert, and I would like to do some shopping in the mall first. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #7  

Good afternoon to you all. Today is one of those bad days female wise. I was going to clean downstairs but I just don't feel that great so it is regular chores only today.

It was cold last night and going to be colder tonight then will start warming back up. At least by Friday to go get my hair done it should be back to being warmer.

Maggie: Terrific! It is so hard to really be straight all the time. I go along really great and then bam, I gain a couple lbs. I gain easy and lose quickly. You keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Jean: Have a good time tonight and don't freeze to death. Wishing your little one good luck on her concert tonight.

Everyone have a great day today. I am back to the heating pad. Faye
Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #8  

Good morning all. We are.... this morning. I had turned off the furnace and had to turn it on this morning as it was 63 in the condo this morning.

I am coming along on the footies. I should finish the first one and start the second one today then go back to my wrap and finish it up.

Another busy weekend. I have a hair apt for a cut and color on Friday and Jack has his snorkeling lesson on Saturday morning. We also want to get started on cleaning the back deck area and cleaning the grill plates so we can do some outdoor bbqing this summer. We didn't do any last year and I miss it during the summer. I need to buy a couple bottles of ammonia to clean the grill plates. You put the ammonia in a trash bag, the grill plates in, tie it up and leave it in the sun all day and it will loosen the crud.

I bought these 6 scarfs/wraps from Nomorerack for only $16 total. They retailed around $70 so I wasn't sure what I would get as you didn't get to pick colors or anything. They are really lovely. They have fringe, are light and airy and got a beautiful bright red, purple, black, pink and a couple others. I love them and they will be great summer scarves or wraps.

Well, guess I should get my day started. I am not cramping at the moment so should take advantage of that. Have a great middle of the week. Faye
Old 04-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! It's a cool, windy, cloudy, gloomy day in my neighborhood. I have absolutely no ambition today. I did go buy a shower gift for the gal Bob has been mentoring.

"Gma" -- Hope you are feeling better. The concert last night lasted a whole half hour. It was first graders and then second graders; the first graders had hand/arm gestures to go with their songs but the second graders did not. Zowie did her own in time to the music! I asked her if she had ants in her pants because she couldn't stand still. The songs were all old American favorites and the explanation in the program said they would be familiar to the audience. Bob and I agreed that most of the parents were young enough they wouldn't know the songs unless they had been involved in musicals in high school. Enjoy your new scarves!

I need to vacuum and unload the dishwasher. Guess I will do that and call it good! Hope you all are enjoying a nice day.

Last edited by Jean; 04-16-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #10  

Good morning all. It was a little cool overnight, but our temps for the next week are seriously going to climb. I am so ready for steady warm temps.

My sister fell last night and hurt herself. I don't know how much, but will call her later this morning to find out. She talked about not wanting to go into a nursing home so it must have been pretty bad. She absolutely does not take care of herself and she has pre emphysema, is back to smoking again, has diabetes and doesn't watch what she eats and neuropathy from the diabetes, which my suspicion is she fell because her feet were numb. Her son lives with her and I am sure is rubbing his hands together thinking about getting the house if his mom goes to a nursing home because she wouldn't sell it and turn him out. He is almost 50, can't or won't keep a job, a druggy and a drunk off and on. She has alienated her other kids because she won't toss his behind out on the street where it belongs. I love him, but it is time he grew up and changed his life. He has had some tough things go on, but all of us have and had to put it behind us and move on and it is time he does the same for heaven's sake.

Well I guess we won't be getting the deck done this weekend. We may get the trees done, and the deck cleaned off, but not the leaves. Our dd texted me about Easter lunch so we are going out with them to a place we have never been. It is a brunch and it will be interesting to see what they have as it is pretty expensive. They throw in valet parking, which I thought was a hoot considering the price of $59 a person plus tax and gratuity and drinks. The menu sounds pretty good though so we shall see. Give me cold shrimp and cocktail sauce and you make me happy.

I am still waiting on my dress to be shipped. I contacted them last week and it wasn't done and they have had the return for almost a month. I am going to bug them again next week to see what the holdup is.

I ordered a compression sock for my knee that is infused with copper so I hope it helps with the arthritis. It can't do anything for the damage, but if it helps with the pain it is worth it and it wasn't that expensive. There are cheaper brands, but they don't have my size in it like the Tommiecopper does. I have heard good things about this stuff. They have everything from stuff for hands, elbows, arms, knees, legs, body stuff, etc.

Jean: Sounds like the concert was interesting. I get a kick out of kids performing when they are little. Do you use a vacuum on your wood floors? I am wondering how much trouble the tile floors are going to be when we put them in, but nothing stays clean I guess.

You all have a great day. Faye
Old 04-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #11  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's still cold outside -- it was 31 when I came downstairs this morning. I've been to get my nails done, stopped by the hospital where the auxiliary is sponsoring a fund raiser jewelry and stuff sale. Everything is $5.00; there are scarves picture frames, etc., besides the jewelry. It's a biggy as employees as well as the general public shop. This afternoon is crafty club and tonight is the Maunday Thursday production at church in which Bob's group sings.

"Gma" -- I hope your sister is ok. It's none of my business, but I would say she is an enabler where her son is concerned. Sad situation! Your brunch had better be super duper. Our bill was $90 the other night for 7 adults and 2 children. Bob and Amanda's dad split the bill; it's a pizza buffet along with a varied salad bar, chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans. There are dessert pizzas and an ice cream machine too. It's a fun place and kid friendly. Don't think I've ever heard of a compression sock with copper in it. I hope it works for you.

I need to get busy and clear off the kitchen counter before I do anything else. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday and Nice

GOOD AFTERNOON IN APRIL MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I am a happy camper for we picked up the last of the Dutch Ovens we will need ~ it is the 4 qt 10” one. They insert a paper recipe booklet with each oven which is called Camp Dutch Oven Cooking 101 which is chock full of any information a person would need to use one and care for it properly along with some yummy sounding recipes. They have liners for the Dutch Ovens like the ones you can get for a Crock Pot. They sure make clean up a lot easier for sure. I like using them for the saucier type dishes and sometimes water for cleaning them up is not that available when out and about.

Are you aware that you can have those advertisement type phone calls you may receive stopped? The Federal Trade Commission has a service to eliminate that problem called the “National Do Not Call Registry.” You can Google it and stop those pestering calls that eat up you air time.

It is so quiet in here ~ Will is at the Museum and all the animals are outside enjoying the wonderful weather for it is in the 60˚s this day climbing to the 70˚ area. I have plenty to do to occupy my time this day. Dinner is planned for we will have left-over meatloaf.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like you will be having an "up town" type family get together Have fun and enjoy your Shrimp Cocktail which is so yummy. The most fun is being with your family. That is sad about your your sister.

JEAN Do your birds miss their skating rink now the weather has warmed up some? What a fun type sale of fun things at the hospital. Find anything you wanted? A good time to buy Christmas gifts.

Always remember ~ Never, ever, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. I am going to have breakfast in a few minutes then head up and shower and get dressed. I have a hair appointment this morning to cut and color my hair. I tell everyone I don't have dark roots, I have white roots and it is true. I think dark roots would be better. My hair is thin and fine anyway and the white roots make it look like my scalp is showing through.

I really punched my finger this morning doing my blood sugar. It usually only stings a second, but it is sore now. I forget to check the "sticking" level on the thing and it sometimes gets rolled up so I am wondering instead of a 1 if it is on 3 again. That is for people who have toughened fingers and mine definitely are not. It is even a little bruised already so I bet that is what happened. Luckily, I did it on my right hand this morning. I switch fingers each day so they don't become bruised or sore and I am going through my right hand at the moment. I am jazzed as I have been able to lower my insulin again and hopefully sooner or later get off the stuff completely.

Jean: She does totally enable her son and I think she has ruined her family relationship but not facing facts, but then she is in denial about her health or basically doesn't care so it is not surprising the way she handles the whole thing like it is going to go away or something. A pizza buffet would probably give me heartburn for the rest of the night! When we order a pizza, rarely, I get a separate one with very light sauce. The sauce kills me for some reason. We have two buffets types here, Pizza Hut lunch buffet and CiCis, which is very cheap. Well, you can go to Incredible pizza and get buffet too, but it is like Chucky Cheese overrun with kids and noise. The food is pretty good though and they do have a nice salad bar.

Maggie: Glad you have all your equipment coming along. I just bought an ebook that is interesting. It is all about eating healthier, but making the food taste better and having better snacks. She talks at length about the different diets and why there is failure rates and such. I think I paid $10 for the Ipad edition. Makes it handy to carry into the kitchen to cook.

Well, need to get breakfast in me. You all have a nice Friday. Jack has today off. Faye
Old 04-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's cold -- ssdd. I braved the grocery store for a few things this morning; tomorrow I'm making baked beans and chocolate (buttermilk) cake for Sunday. There was a new little orange cat in the live trap this morning. While I was waiting for it to get lighter so I could let it go, a huge raccoon came up on the deck. So now we are hoping to trap her and the 5th possum. When I opened the trap the cat just sat and looked at me, so I finally upended the whole thing and it came out on it's own.

Maggie -- We've been on the "do not call" list ever since it became available. We still get unknown calls. This morning I got a call from a number I didn't recognize. I answered and was going to give my standard "not interested" speech. It was Ian; Jason and Amanda each have a cell phone and disconnected their land line several years ago. The kids have gotten old enough that they want to call their friends, and get calls, so they have "their" own number now. It's not a cell phone so assume it is attached to the wall. Do you ever make Shipwreck? I'd never heard of it but guess it is an original campfire recipe. Bob's mom made it a lot, and the scouts have made it too.

"Gma" -- It would be wonderful if you can get off the insulin! You mentioned your finger being sore. My hand looks like I have been in a fight. My vacuum has a hose and when I tried to pull it out, it slipped and I rammed my hand against the upright handle. The swelling has gone down but it is purple from my thumb to the little finger. Where it actually hit is green -- not pretty! Did you change your hair color this time? How long does a color job last?

I have laundry to fold and put away so best get it done. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all. It is lovely this morning. Jack is showering getting ready to go to his snorkeling lesson. He came downstairs before showering and I was in the kitchen washing my nails with a nail brush. He was in the living room and said, "Uh, Houston we have a problem!" I rushed in thinking the plumbing again and there he stood with one of his bathing suits at least 3 inches too big. I said let go of it and he did and there was this huge gap in the belly. He said he couldn't get the strings to tighten up enough either. I told him to hurry and get a shower and run to the Target, which is about 5 miles away from here and get him a suit, but he got the other one to tie up tight so hopefully it stays up while he is snorkeling!

I am finishing up the second footie and then can wash and dry them. I have been told by several people that they don't block their socks so I am just going to wash and dry these and see how they turn out. The yarn is washable and dryable and I think I made these for less than $6 for the pair and have a ton of the pink yarn left and another skein of the gray so may make myself a pair. I will then move on to finishing up my wrap. I have less than a foot to go on it. I want it nice and long so it will stay in place and not fall off all the time.

I have been a Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons fan for decades. I never was able to see Jersey Boys when they came to Memphis or anywhere else for that matter, but I watched the movie trailer this morning and Jack said he would take me to see the movie. Can't wait as I love their music.

Jean: Ooh sounds like that would hurt. I am forever banging, pinching, hitting fingers, toes and such. I am a big klutz. Yesterday I was walking into the salon and tripped over my cane for heaven's sake. I only get my hair colored every 8 weeks and by that time the white has grown out, but I can't afford $165 a month so I put up with the white roots. No, we kept the same color combo. She uses a lighter reddish blond to highlight and a vivid red as my base. I really like it and she does a spectacular cut on my hair. She has started razor cutting my hair and I really like it that way. She is second in command at the hair studio so she really knows her business. I too have our cell phones on a do not call, but you can still have calls get through. Pretty much anyone who has ever gotten your number in anyway can call you. Supposedly telemarketers can't, but we had these dopes from some Disney resort call over and over and I finally lost my temper and told them if they did not take our number out of their system I was turning them over to our Tennessee Attorney General's office and they quit calling. We don't get bothered too much for the most part.

You gals have a nice weekend and holiday. Brunch tomorrow with the kids. I have to sell our car to pay for it but what the heck..... Faye